Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Do you prefer downloaded/online music or CDs?

Jack Durango

I have quite a few CDs, i generally buy CDs if they are limited or collectors edition ones otherwise i buy most of my music through iTunes (i do buy ALL of my music), i quite like the quality of my headset to be perfectly honest, i think i like it more than my surround sound set although it is a very expensive headset so the quality is fantastic.

• Brohoof 2

CD's all the way. Feels like you have a piece of memorabilia from the band.  Having a physical copy to me is something I like way more than having it on my computer. Plus CD's for me have a nostalgic effect. So yeah everyone has their preferences. But mostly all of my music I have on CD's anyway. But I do have a ton on my computer too :3. 

being a nerd in the 21st century i prefer downloads. lets face it: cds have been made completely obsolete. i mean just look at youtube and pandora.

I definitely prefer cds, but I only buy them for artists I really like. So I guess I actually buy the songs twice if they're good enough. Artists get better royalty from physical cds, and digital downloading gives them a lot less money.

being a nerd in the 21st century i prefer downloads. lets face it: cds have been made completely obsolete. i mean just look at youtube and pandora.

I wouldn't say CDs are completely obsolete, some bands refuse to sell their music digitally. You can rip CDs and put them in your iPod, or even start a CD collection for fun. Even vinyl is making a comeback. I wish there was a record store by my house :/

I wouldn't say CDs are completely obsolete, some bands refuse to sell their music digitally. You can rip CDs and put them in your iPod, or even start a CD collection for fun. Even vinyl is making a comeback. I wish there was a record store by my house :/

I'm gonna go out a limb here and say any artist that refuses to sell or distrute their music digitally is doomed to fail. I mean, this is the age of the internet, get with the times, people! I haven't seen a single person use a CD Player since I was in high school.

I'm gonna go out a limb here and say any artist that refuses to sell or distrute their music digitally is doomed to fail. I mean, this is the age of the internet, get with the times, people! I haven't seen a single person use a CD Player since I was in high school.

You're ignoring the fact that you can easily rip a CD and put the album in your iPod. As for your "Doomed to fail" theory, if a band has many loyal fans, it doesn't matter how they distribute their music. For example, the band Tool doesn't sell their music on iTunes but, they still have many loyal fans (including me). CDs are far from dead, and so is vinyl. 

I do collect stuff, although I admit that I don't buy CDs, not because I dislike doing so. I just live rather far away from the city and it would simply be too much of a hassle to go get one (before you say anything, no there are no music shops also there aren't even video games stores near me). I would probably buy CDs from artists I like, just too show my support for that artist as well as having a physical copy, just too collect. Although I don't, I have a few physical copies, like "Christmas songs by Sinatra", basically a collection of christmas songs by Frank Sinatra. I really like Frank Sinatra. I would say I prefer downloaded content and I'm fully aware that I could rip CDs and buy them from itunes. Although, I got introduced to certain sharing websites at a young age, so I have other ways too get my music.

Sometimes I'd buy a CD even if I already had the digital download. I prefer CDs cause you can't get WAV from itunes. Also, my mom's car doesn't have an auxiliary input so the only way to stop her from playing crappy country music on the radio is with CDs.

Normally, I look on iTunes for the album or track that I want, and if I can't find it, I'll order the CD. The point, regardless is to get the songs on my computer so I don't have to pop discs in and out all the time. Still though, it's nice to have some CD's for CD players because I don't have a portable iPod stereo.

Being an audio engineer, it's quite impossible for me to ignore sound quality when trying to enjoy music. I can't stand Youtube, because the sound quality is awful.

I tend to order CDs on Amazon, then rip the audio into some form of lossless format, and listen to it from my computer. It's more convenient to keep everything organized on my hard drive, and it sounds way better than most digital downloads. The best of both worlds, if you will.

Though, I will concede that the format iTunes uses has gotten a lot better. It's tolerable, at the least.

I like both.I like CD's because when i don't have my laptop i like to listen different songs in different CD's.I also like downloading online music cause i don't have to pay money for CD's.

I like both formats.  If I like a song, I'll download it, but If I like multiple songs or a particular artist, I get the whole CD.  I don't like downloading CD's though, I prefer to get something physical for my money, plus I get to look through all the album artwork and sometimes the lyrics are written down too.  Also, if your computer crashes or something happens to it, you won't loose all your music.  The sound quality on CD's is also a lot better, but Vinyls have the best quality.  Now I just need a record player.

CDs. As archaic as they may be, sometimes the old ways are also the best ways. Besides, I try to avoid anything that requires you to use DRM, when possible.

I tend to get music online via iTunes, beatport, etc., because I'm too lazy to go to the store or I just want a single. However, I sometimes buy CDs when I go to concerts for artists that I really enjoy. It's nice to have a physical copy of your favorite music. happy.png

I really prefer CDs, but that is mostly because I have a 5 disk CD player with a nice sound system in my room. I've also lost all my music before when I had an HD crash on me, before then I used to download all my music, and since then I've just went ahead and bought the CDs, I never want to lose a huge library of music like that again. Such a pain. blush.png

I didn't really get into music until I got fast internet and could start finding music online and putting it onto my PSP, which is my music player.  It's nice to be able to listen to music anywhere, especially when walking out in the cold where I need something else to foucs on.

I really like CDs, but they tend to cost a little. And my music taste is kinda random - some day, I might like listen to something a little dark, and then the next day I might be listening to Disney music.

Nowadays I pretty much use Spotify, so I don't have the problem of "downloaded" music. But I do buy CD's if I really love a band and I think it deserves to be in my CD shelf. ^^ And deserves its money~

Edited by Tenshinohana

I much prefer CD's/cassettes/vinyl/any physical media over digital. No good reason, I must say; I just prefer having the original copy of music to hold in my hand; not to mention I love using older technology that STILL WORKS PERFECTLY FINE. angry.png  WHY ALL THIS NEWFANGLED DOWNLOADING AND CLOUD STORAGE, WHAT WAS EVER WRONG BLAH BLAH BLAH ...

(...I'm a geezer stuck in my somewhat outdated technological ways. blush.png )

I buy all my music through iTunes purely because it goes straight to my computer HDD, of which i listen to music from 99% of the time. I'll usually only buy one or two songs from any particular Artist at a time so it's handy to pay $1.60 instead of $20+

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy

I used to buy singles from iTunes and buy albums in physical form, then it's archived.  These days I just can't be bothered and tend to buy everything from iTunes.  I can burn to disc afterwards but it won't be lossless.  I actually use Spotify mainly these days, or chuck the radio on.

Some people prefer the sound of the old vinyl records.