Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia and Luna's Parents?

Lightning Fluttershy

I've been wondering... how much of a kiss ass must Celestia have been to gets the good role?

Honestly I think Celestia probably must have been one of those kids who sucks all the time and Luna would be the kind of kid who likes to be alone.

Their parents I think must have favoured Celestia too because Luna is kind of resentful.

Thoughts?

What? I don't get it.

Of course Celestia has the good role, Luna went out of control and didn't want to take away the night..

Remember?

I may get you wrong though..

• Brohoof 1

What? I don't get it.

Of course Celestia has the good role, Luna went out of control and didn't want to take away the night..

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHgRh7sEJkU

Remember?

I may get you wrong though..

ya i know about this i've watched it but i mean as children. how they wouldve acted. what their parents might have been like

ya i know about this i've watched it but i mean as children. how they wouldve acted. what their parents might have been like

What?!?! i just figured Luna just didn't like the fact that her subjects didn't relish her night as they did her sister's day i don't think any of that is connected to her relationship to her parents (If she and Celestia even have any)

There was somepony on Tumblr that made a character which looked as if it was based on Lauren Faust but I'm not sure.

They should make an episode about their parents visiting.

who knows, since celestia and luna's parents were probably rulers, celestia may have proven herself more qualified to take the main throne. however, they rule equestria together ALMOST equally.

• 1 month later...

I think they do have parents, but Lauren Faust hasn't revealed them yet. With Season 3 fast approaching, they may be revealed later in the season. I think them being revealed at the end of Season 3 would be awesome, as well as a way of giving us bronies and pegasisters closure as to who are Celestia and Luna's parents. This pic should give you a clue: Posted Image

• Brohoof 7

isn't it obvious? They don't have a mother, but they do have a ponified version of Carl Sagan who just created them by summoning them from an Apple Pie. But really, I've always thought of them (and all alicorns) as demigods, so I wouldn't be surprised if one of their parents were a god and one of them wasn't.

• Brohoof 1

I've had the sense---and this is purely speculation, mind you---that Celestia and Luna did not inherit their roles via royal lineage. Instead, because they were able to effortlessly control the cycles of the moon and sun and commanded the Elements of Harmony, the two of them were "installed" as the rulers of Equestria by the other ponies. Once the unicorns, earth ponies, and pegasi got their acts together, consolidating a government happened to incorporate the two alicorns.

That's my interpretation, though I could be persuaded to see things differently.

I've had the sense---and this is purely speculation, mind you---that Celestia and Luna did not inherit their roles via royal lineage. Instead, because they were able to effortlessly control the cycles of the moon and sun and commanded the Elements of Harmony, the two of them were "installed" as the rulers of Equestria by the other ponies. Once the unicorns, earth ponies, and pegasi got their acts together, consolidating a government happened to incorporate the two alicorns.

That's my interpretation, though I could be persuaded to see things differently.

That too is basically my head canon, though for me, it wasn't so much 'oh, you two can control the sun and moon, we'll make you the rulers!', it was more 'oh, you two came along in our time of need and defeated Discord, saving our land from eternal chaos! You deserve to be our rulers!'.

• Brohoof 3

Not sure if you all know how a monarchy works, but if they are the current rulers, even if they are called princesses, their parents are dead or otherwise unable to rule.

Who's to say if they've had parents at all? Maybe they're like something that was always there for all the ponies to respect and for the Princess to repay their loyal followers by making it night and day. It's kind of like the "God" concept. A force that's always been there since the beginning of time.

Plausible, too. Since, you know, this is a cartoon lol. :P

That's basically how I see it. I also must say Celestia and Luna's parents were probably pretty lenient on what they could and couldn't do. Celestia just probably was seen as royalty, and Luna as well, because they could move the moon and sun.

That too is basically my head canon, though for me, it wasn't so much 'oh, you two can control the sun and moon, we'll make you the rulers!', it was more 'oh, you two came along in our time of need and defeated Discord, saving our land from eternal chaos! You deserve to be our rulers!'.

That's more or less my point, too---hence the Elements of Harmony being a central qualification for their becoming the rulers of Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, hey Discord, what's going on? I still think Earth needs a little "chaos", if you catch my drift. Your brand of chaos would be perfect! I don't mind seeing a cotton candy cloud every now and then. Just don't let it get toooo out of hoof, k? There is such a thing as too much chaos.

Ok, this is surprising, so I'll spoiler it.

you sure?

positive?

gotcha!

ok, this time I will

WAIT! not yet :3

fine, click the next one

Lauren Faust, duh!

This thread is fail and you should feel like a fail. Princess Luna was bitter because of the disrespect ponies showed for the night. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were equal in political power until they split, and are equal again. Luna is not openly active in politics for obvious reasons. She has power, but not the hearts and respect of her people.

Considering the overall character of Celestia, I truly believe that she must have been a kiss-ass in order to get her position. She seems so oblivious to such an extent that she's actually completely useless. For example, as rarity was plummeting towards the ground when the wings that had been conjured by Twlight shiveled up and burnt, Celestia just sat there and watched. She made no move to save her apprentice's friend.

However, this also leaves room for the theory that Celestia is actually very passive-aggressive. She appears to be this benevolent being, but what I want to know is: When rarity was falling, why didn't her guards attempt to save her? She could have easily ordered them not to. And yet another question: Why did the animals at the gala avoid Fluttershy? Is it possible that Celestia may have actually done something to make the creatures resent her?

It takes a critical mind to go into this deeply, but there are many that have. Simply look through the literature archives of DeviantART.

Luna probabely holds the resentment she does due to slight phsycological (spelling?) damage inflicted upon her by her parents. By this I mean that, since Celestia must have been the favorite, they likely ignored Luna. This would also help explain the increadable jealousy she had for Celestia.

Edited by Moriko

I find it very doubtful that Celestia and Luna should have had parents. If you think about it, they've been there for at least 1000 years and it doesn't seem like they're ageing. I don't think the ponies are too far off when they call them goddesses or at least some kind of demigod.

To me it seems like Celestia and Luna have been there since the dawn of time. I like to think that they have been put there by some kind of over-god that still to some extent watches Equestria but is never actually there.

You (yea you reading this post!) should read this fanfic called "Background Pony". It theorizes on the subject of Celestia and Luna's origins (amongst a hell of a lot of other things! It's a good read, promise!)

Edited by SorteKanin

• 7 months later...

Lauren Faust considers the royal sisters have parents:

"Q: Where was Celestia when NMM appeared? Don't answer if you never thought of it beforehand. Don't wanna destroy anybody's theories.

A: In my mind, they were still young and still lived in the same castle together--- perhaps with their parents. It was the ruined castle in the Everfree Forest that was featured in the premiere episode. Before she appeared in Ponyvile, NMM went to Canterlot to find Celestia and use magic to banish Celestia in the Sun. REVENGE!

I imagined them with parents, yes. I wish I could've made a series just about Celestia and Luna's youth. Sigh..."

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/File:Lauren_Faust_Twitter_Luna_Celestia_parents_2013-05-02.png

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/05/lauren-fausts-twitter-questions-and.html

• Brohoof 1

My headcanon is that Tirek made the greatest royal Gaurd of all time Sombra to betray the king and queen and they made a plan and took over equestria, then luna and celestias parents used all of there powers to put tirek in a prison in tartarus