Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any history nuts here?

Dr.RedundantPh.D

I love history anywhere from greek and roman mythology to midieval, dark ages, neolithic revolution, i really don't care the time period history is cool!

I really enjoy studying dead societies and languages. Proto indo euro has a good chunk of 'em and even wrote one of the best anglo saxon pieces of poetry of all time "beowulf!" i finally read it in the dual english, anglo version.

I really enjoy learning of all countries though

I'm excited because I get to take another history course. This time one very specific - Medieval England.

Perhaps I might have preferred the Absolutism and Enlightenment course, but it doesn't count for an upper level humanities (only an upper level history), and besides, Medieval Europe is something I really would like to be refreshed on.

So far it's interesting. Started off a loooonnnnggg time ago. Like in Biblical times... Actually before that.

I'm excited because I get to take another history course. This time one very specific - Medieval England.

Perhaps I might have preferred the Absolutism and Enlightenment course, but it doesn't count for an upper level humanities (only an upper level history), and besides, Medieval Europe is something I really would like to be refreshed on.

So far it's interesting. Started off a loooonnnnggg time ago. Like in Biblical times... Actually before that.

Pre-Celtic Britannia, eh? I've never really studied that much. I'll have to check it out.

Yeah, sure, you could say I'm into history; but only when it comes to very specific events. IE the sinking of the Titanic, 9/11, The Holocaust, major natural disasters, and so on and so forth.

~~

When I study history, I pay most attention to the developments in philosophy (and religion where applicable) and science, and the economic factors behind everything. And any history of popular culture interests me as well, I think it is too often overlooked since it can shed insight on the ordinary lives of people in those days, especially if it impacted something larger. It's not my favorite subject, but I can find it interesting.

Awesome, in Ancient History today, we are learning even more about Romans and foundation and stuff. Reading a book called, "Ancient Rome." Pretty interesting history.

Edited by Scootabloom

I love history, I hope to at least minor in some sort of history related subject in college. So much to learn, like one great big, wonderful, terrible story. I especially like the Colonial period, the medieval ages, and the industrial revolution along with various mixes of everything and everything history. :D

I wouldn't call myself knowledgeable by any means, but I do loves me some history. 20th century American and European history is one of my faves, along with 19th century Europe. (14th century Europe as well; pre-20th century American just doesn't interest me.)

If I am put in a room where we are learning about the American revolution, the civil war, Reconstruction, and anything from WWI onward, I will sit down and listen and love it. History is my favorite subject after math.

|--(0)--|

techno915

Edited by techno915

"This weapon is so terrible, it will surely end war." - Pope Gregory, if memory serves me correctly.

Could be. You may also be thinking of Alfred Nobel, who infamously claimed "My dynamite will sooner lead to peace than a thousand world conventions. As soon as men will find that in one instant, whole armies can be utterly destroyed, they surely will abide by golden peace."

I'm pretty sure a similar quip will be made by the guy who invents the first Death Star. He (too) will be horribly mistaken.

I don't have history as a subject anymore, nor was i brilliant at it, but it is one that has always deeply interested me. My favorite era would either be the Roman era, because comon' those guys were awesome, or the Renascence era because it was a period inwhich we had some awesome progress and Da vinci lived through it and contributed during it.

• 2 months later...

Could be. You may also be thinking of Alfred Nobel, who infamously claimed "My dynamite will sooner lead to peace than a thousand world conventions. As soon as men will find that in one instant, whole armies can be utterly destroyed, they surely will abide by golden peace."

I'm pretty sure a similar quip will be made by the guy who invents the first Death Star. He (too) will be horribly mistaken.

You'll hear that over and over again historically. Some person thinks they got some weapon that will change/eliminate war, and over and over again they're proven wrong.

History buffs? PRESENT!!!!! I'm technically an American Studies major, which is an interdisciplinary study that mixes History, Politics, and English, but my primary emphasis is on history. Being a senior, I'll actually be writing my senior thesis next semester, and hopefully interning at a national park, such as Gettysburg or Fredericksburg, after graduation from Hillsdale in the spring. As you can probably guess from my major, I'm particularly interested in American history, but I value the whole of history, and believe that if you truly want to understand the human story, one must study the whole of human experience and come to understand that there is truly a unification of said experience across history that explains how we've gotten to where we are today. History buffs of MLP Forums, UNITE!!!!!!!! B)

• Brohoof 2

I seriously doubt many would even want to know but i picked up the bible a few weeks ago. Now, i'm no church goer but I was curious as it was given to me when i was young and i found it while i was cleaning out my stuff. Man, i gotta say... interesting read....

• Brohoof 1

I seriously doubt many would even want to know but i picked up the bible a few weeks ago. Now, i'm no church goer but I was curious as it was given to me when i was young and i found it while i was cleaning out my stuff. Man, i gotta say... interesting read....

The study of theology is great, it's also very historical.

Best schools to study theology at are universities/colleges that are tied to churches and or religious organizations.

• Brohoof 1

The study of theology is great, it's also very historical.

Best schools to study theology at are universities/colleges that are tied to churches and or religious organizations.

Why would I want to do that? I'm actually considering it's all in there. I was reading it last week and believe it or not the law of polarity is in there!

Why would I want to do that? I'm actually considering it's all in there. I was reading it last week and believe it or not the law of polarity is in there!

Well, if the works of the Bible interest you then your curious mind may want to expand upon other religious works like the Torah, Koran, Dead Sea Scrolls, etc.

Well, if the works of the Bible interest you then your curious mind may want to expand upon other religious works like the Torah, Koran, Dead Sea Scrolls, etc.

Yeah i've already started doing some digging around and when you do some things get interesting. I do believe some things might start to make some sense fairly soon.
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Epic bump :squee:

I'm a big Civil War nut and also know quite a bit about other various bits of military history. I hang out over at historum, which is a great history community, so if you guys like history you should check it out.

So I specialize in Civil War history (particularly enjoy discussing the war in Virginia and Gettysburg is my favorite battle. Grant is my favorite general and Stonewall Jackson is the most overrated general imo).

I also am reading up on the Anglo-Zulu war (thanks to Zulu and Zulu Dawn) and I find the Battle of Isandhlwana to be an absolutely fascinating event.

Also know quite a bit about the American Revolution and a little about the 2nd Punic War. So, if anyone on here wants to discuss anything like that feel free to quote or message me B)

• Brohoof 1