Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Highway Thru Hell (British Columbia) - New Discovery Channel Series

Senn555

@@Feld0,

@,

@@NostalgicPony,

@@Blue,

And anyone else living in BC that I may have missed...

A new docu-drama is premiering on Discovery Channel tonight (September 4th) at 7PM Pacific (10PM Eastern). "Highway Thru Hell" was filmed over the course of three winter months to chronicle Jamie Davis Heavy Rescue, a towing company based in Hope, that responds to accidents as frequent as every 12 hours on BC's #5 Coquihalla highway. The highway cuts through the heart of BC's Cascade Mountains and runs from Hope to Kamloops, and bears extremely dangerous driving conditions especially in the winter.

The series is comprised of eight parts, with new parts showing on Tuesdays. If you miss out, episodes are shown several times throughout the week at different times.

Episode 1: Death on the Coq

The winter season is already off to a hellish start when a major blizzard slams the Coquihalla Highway. Jamie Davis Heavy Rescue's "A" team, Adam and Kevin, spends a busy morning clearing spun out semis off the road when word comes that a multi vehicle pile-up has closed down both northbound lanes. While Adam scrambles to get the highway open, Jamie tries to free a semi from a steep, icy off-ramp. By sundown the crew is exhausted, but the Coq isn't done with them yet. At 3 AM, a five semi wreck at the top of the mountain sends Jamie and his 16-year-old son Brandon fighting their way through the traffic back-up. This is Brandon's first night wreck - and the hard reality of heavy rescue towing is driven home when he discovers a driver under one of the trucks, dead.

Relevant Links:

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/Showpage.aspx?sid=45238

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/new-doc-series-features-hellish-coquihalla-highway-1.940106

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/08/10/discovery-channel-debuts-original-series-highway-thru-hell-on-september-4th-2012/144560/

My dad and I are on that highway every year. Always in the summer though, never winter... driving there during winter would likely be suicide. :X We were heading to Vancouver from Merritt on July 23rd and we were in a very dense fog most of the time.

I remember driving through that on the day after Christmas

every year for five years.

It was... exciting, to say in the least.

The simultaneously most and least exciting part was following behind plow trucks at 30km/h because the conditions were so bad that you could be in a very bad way if you tried to pass the plow.

I remember people doing that, and then seeing them in the ditch 10 minutes later.

• Brohoof 1

Sounds interesting, I may have to watch this, I usually travel the Coquihalla at least once a year, usually in summer, to go to Abbotsford for the airshow and such.

Traveled it in March to go to a Canucks game, and there was a bit of snow, that was fun, I can't imagine what it would be like in the dead of Winter.

• Brohoof 1

Premiering two hours from now:

Episode 2: Where's My Rotator?

A double-trailer load of lumber had flipped and spilled across a quarter mile of highway. Even with three heavy rescue trucks, Jamie's crew doesn't have enough equipment to do the job right. Adam is angry about the lack of equipment and the poor condition of his truck. Last year, Jamie ordered a state of the art heavy rescue truck called a Rotator. But the busy winter season is here and the custom-built wrecker still hasn't been delivered. Just days before Christmas, Jamie heads to the factory in Tennessee to bring it home himself. While he's gone, Adam has his hands full with the B team when a semi filled with expensive wine goes off a cliff.