How do i make an oc pony?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 I_wesley125

I_wesley125

Phoenix

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

So if i wanted an OC pony how would i make one? I can't draw.

Register now to remove this ad.

#2 Finesthour

Finesthour

The Finest Hour

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

1.Look up tutorials. 2.Think of what you want. Draw it 3.??? 4. Profit.

#3 Colon Leftbracket

Colon Leftbracket

The Almighty Twibop

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

Come up with a good concept. Like mine is a dwarfish Earth Pony Inventor that makes all sorts of machinery to overcome his Earth Pony limits. ...with a mustache! Think of how that concept would look. Then draw... well I can't draw either. Look up Pony Creator if you want that tool. I use it to get started. My profile pic now was made on Pony Creator, but I edited in Photoshop! I don't really recommend that much but it's there...

#4 Tom The Diamond

Tom The Diamond

Trixie is TOTALLY best pony

• Subscribers

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

Part Six

Part Seven

Part Eight

Part Nine

Theres a helpful guide. Good luck making an OC! ^.^

#5 Doctor XFizzle

Doctor XFizzle

Sports Brony & 12th Doctor

• Donors

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

This should be shown as a terms and condition waiver before anyone uses GeneralZoi's pony creator on dA where they have to read it and agree before creating their OC.

I've seen some abominations that would make Lauren shake her head.

#6 A Doge

A Doge

The One with the Best Username

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Simple, have a good imagination and will, and do what the other ponies said. ;)

#7 Silverhoof

Silverhoof

Phoenix

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

http://www.dolldivin...ony-creator.php
Click on the link, its a pony creator for the artisticaly chalenged. It is VERY good. My avatar is from this site.
Play with it until you get what you want.

Botom line: IT'S FREE!

I made this in just 5 minutes to illustrate my point! It even comes with backgrounds! There are several Pony creators out there and this is the best! I just wish there was a way to make this a sticky for MLP members. Tell me how you like this!
Posted Image

Edited by Silverhoof, 15 January 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#8 A Legend

A Legend

Devilishly Handsome Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

This, five times this! If people actually followed these rules things would be a lot easier for everypony.

Although the one thing I don't entirely agree with is part 3 #2. My OC (the one this account is named after) has a personality based off of mine, similar strengths/flaws, interests, likes/dislikes but I RP them as though they are not actually me. Basing your pony off of yourself is ok, but like #2 says don't act like you are "actually" the OC.

Other than those general things just use your imagination and have fun with it! :D

#9 Arylett of Braixen

Arylett of Braixen

The Foxiest Artist

• Subscribers

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

Part Six

Part Seven

Part Eight

Part Nine

Do not agree with Part 3, #2. Why is it advised against playing as yourself as a pony? I do so and it is perfectly acceptable. Probably because of the common mentality self-insert = Mary Sue? Most people aren't really good at that, but... it IS possible to make a good self-insert! Just saying. Don't make them overpowered and make them true to yourself/realistic, and you'll be fine. I always play myself as my characters, and it goes swimmingly. Or at least, that's what I'm told by most people.

Otherwise, a good guide. I'd advise most of the tips presented in that. And if you've made it in the pony creator, but don't want it to look generic, I'd also recommend commissioning/looking for an artist who takes requests to draw it out for you.

#10 Tom The Diamond

Tom The Diamond

Trixie is TOTALLY best pony

• Subscribers

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

Although the one thing I don't entirely agree with is part 3 #2. My OC (the one this account is named after) has a personality based off of mine, similar strengths/flaws, interests, likes/dislikes but I RP them as though they are not actually me. Basing your pony off of yourself is ok, but like #2 says don't act like you are "actually" the OC.

I believe what its saying is don't make your OC an exact replica of yourself ponified.Basing it off of yourself is fine, but making an exact replica is what a ponified version of yourself is for. ; )

EDIT:

Do not agree with Part 3, #2. Why is it advised against playing as yourself as a pony? I do so and it is perfectly acceptable. Probably because of the common mentality self-insert = Mary Sue? Most people aren't really good at that, but... it IS possible to make a good self-insert! Just saying. Don't make them overpowered and make them true to yourself/realistic, and you'll be fine. I always play myself as my characters, and it goes swimmingly. Or at least, that's what I'm told by most people.

But most people who play as themselves ponified will forget their own flaws, or over glorify their good traits, as well as take everything that happens to their OC personally. Yes, it is possible, and I'm not saying all self-inserts are bad, but I personally wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. And if you need a guide, odds are you're a beginner.

Besides, that would more so qualify as a ponified version of yourself as opposed to an OC. With an OC, you're creating a character from the ground up, personality, and all. With a ponified version, you're just giving yourself pony traits.

Oh, an two more tips that popped in my head that a lot of ponies do. First, if your OC is male, give them the male mouth. I've seen a lot of male OCs with the female mouth, and that'll led to gender confusion.

And secondly, avoid an obnoxious color scheme, mainly bright neony ones. Most of the ponies in the show have pretty soft color schemes, with the rare exception of a few, such as Vinyl Scratch. But if your pony looks like something out of a dance rave, with neon green, blue and black, you've messed up somewhere. Try to create a color scheme that doesn't rape somepony's eyes. A good idea of a color scheme is Blue and Cyan.Its basic, looks nice, and doesn't look like something that would glow in the dark.

Edited by Tom the Diamond, 15 January 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#11 Lady Rarity Pony

Lady Rarity Pony

Devious Sludgepony

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Find some good tutorials, get an idea of what you want it to look like and then draw!

#12 1mlpfim

1mlpfim

Parasprite

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

I think you din't get this guy's point, who is in a similar situatian as mine. Something like drawing tutorials or basic pony anotomy would help

#13 XrosOver

XrosOver

Bird

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

1. Come up with a speices. 2. Plan it out (the minor details) 3. Draw it step by step and repeat until and nice product finishes out. 4. Use OC in other art until it becomes more dynamic and detailed 5. Submit for review and marvel at the positive comments.

#14 DJ MUFF1N D3RP

DJ MUFF1N D3RP

Pony

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

If you have a Facebook, go to the Hub's official page, like them, and then use the ponymaker they have. That's what I did to make my OC, Storm Shock(seen below) and I've been really happy with the results.

Posted Image

Edited by DJ MUFF1N D3RP, 25 July 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#15 Musix

Musix

Butterfly

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

The best and probably most famous is here, http://generalzoi.de...rsion-254295904
A great pony creator that has given loads of brony's their OC's. Or, Commission/Request an Artist to draw your OC for you.
Or use bases, A quick and easy way to design your own OC with a heck load of freedom
Or invest in Art lessons. X3

#16 CamRad18

CamRad18

Stuff n' Things

• Members

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Just finished the design of my first ever OC. Haven't named him and I'm working on the personality but I think he looks pretty snazzy. 

Attached Thumbnails

• hiResPony.png

#17 crazitaco

crazitaco

Phoenix

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

hehe, awhile ago, heavily inspired by my avatar and a picture of derpy eating a muffin, i made an insane unicorn with crazy hair wearing a taco shell with a taco cutie mark and the most wild expression i could draw up eating a taco. not sure what her colors will be yet, but of course her name matches my username, Crazy Taco

all you need is imagination. once you are inspired, just do it. draw it even though you aren't the best artist. sometimes the "poorly" drawn ponies are the ones with the most personality, imo ^^

general zoi's pony creator is a great way to compare mane styles and colors next to each other, but i wouldn't recommend relying on it completely.

if its just the pony shape you have trouble with, look up some pony poses and trace over their general body shape :D then add whatever features you like

Edited by crazitaco, 26 December 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#18 Antismurf9001

Antismurf9001

The Eternal Noob

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

it IS possible to make a good self-insert!

Just to back this point up, I've heard somewhere that Faramir was Tolkien's self-insert in The Lord of the Rings.  Originally, Aragorn was going to get Eowyn as a bride, but he liked her character so much that he decided to claim her for himself, and instead give Aragorn the random elf that was mentioned in a single chapter in the first book.  I don't have a source for this information at the moment, but I don't believe it would be too difficult to find.

#19 Dr. Nefarious

Dr. Nefarious

Bunny

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Well first you take a picture of one of the mane 6, open it up in MS paint and use the paint bucket tool.

Then you just give it a name and you're done.

#20 Blindsight

Blindsight

Parasprite

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I believe what its saying is don't make your OC an exact replica of yourself ponified.Basing it off of yourself is fine, but making an exact replica is what a ponified version of yourself is for. ; )

EDIT:

But most people who play as themselves ponified will forget their own flaws, or over glorify their good traits, as well as take everything that happens to their OC personally. Yes, it is possible, and I'm not saying all self-inserts are bad, but I personally wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. And if you need a guide, odds are you're a beginner.

Besides, that would more so qualify as a ponified version of yourself as opposed to an OC. With an OC, you're creating a character from the ground up, personality, and all. With a ponified version, you're just giving yourself pony traits.

Oh, an two more tips that popped in my head that a lot of ponies do. First, if your OC is male, give them the male mouth. I've seen a lot of male OCs with the female mouth, and that'll led to gender confusion.

And secondly, avoid an obnoxious color scheme, mainly bright neony ones. Most of the ponies in the show have pretty soft color schemes, with the rare exception of a few, such as Vinyl Scratch. But if your pony looks like something out of a dance rave, with neon green, blue and black, you've messed up somewhere. Try to create a color scheme that doesn't rape somepony's eyes. A good idea of a color scheme is Blue and Cyan.Its basic, looks nice, and doesn't look like something that would glow in the dark.

The last four links are broken, and I'm really interested in them, because the pictures I could access are exactly my thoughts! :)

As for my version on how to create and OC... this is how I do it.

1. Find your future OC's talent and create a cutie mark.
  2. Decide if you want an earth pony, a unicorn, or a pegasus.
  3. Figure out a color scheme that is not too saturated and in which all colors are in harmony.
  4. Create a mane style that's not in the show or is really rare.
  5. Decide on smaller details like if you want coat patterns, visible hooves, clothing, etc.
  6. Draw your pony. Done!

This is just my method, but works for me. My OCs aren't that bad I guess.. :D

Edited by Blindsight, 26 December 2012 - 12:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Register now to remove this ad.