Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Discord actually Starswirl the Bearded?

That Colt

78 users have voted

1. 1. Are Discord and Star Swirl the same person?

• Yes
    • No

There's always more to something than meets the eye.  My worst fear is the MLPFIM crew tieing up loose ends to get ready for a series finale with MLPFIM being too troublesome to continue. 

According to Wikipedia, there's an upcoming season 3 episode called: "Keep Calm and Flutter On" in which Celestia tasks the mane six with reforming Discord, but Fluttershy, being the ultimate counter troll, is the only one willing to do it. So it seems we are going more in depth on Discord, at least.

There's always more to something than meets the eye.  My worst fear is the MLPFIM crew tieing up loose ends to get ready for a series finale with MLPFIM being too troublesome to continue. 

A: Season four is pretty much confirmed from documentation sources.

B: Killing this show would lose Hasbro insane amounts of money. Companies go by money, in the end. They have no reason to end a show that's started a fanbase that's turned into a movement.

• Brohoof 1

You ponies have no idea what I did when I saw that Discord was coming back. I'm pretty sure I jumped up, ran around my room and then silently screamed "YES!!!" but I'm not entirely sure. I also could have just sat there in happy shock imagining myself doing those things as I realized how awesome a Fluttershy and Discord episode could potentially be! I cannot wait for Jan. 19. I just cannot. Ugh. So. Far. AWAY! :'(

I don't think that the writers are going to screw this up. They made him awesome the first time, and if they haven't suddenly turned into complete idiots, they can make him amazing the second time too. Stop doubting the writers, my friends! I don't think that they will suddenly tranform him into something he's not. Meaning, I don't think they would change him into a creature of order. He made it quite clear what he thinks of order the last time he got out. Don't worry about it! It will be awesome! Besides, it's Discord. How couldn't it be awesome?! Even if they are trying to 'reform' him. Personally, I hope he becomes neutral so that he can appear in the show more often. Not quite evil, not quite good, just enough chaos! ;)

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to throw it in there but in Luna Eclipsed Twilight said that Starswirl was the father of the 'Amniomorphic Spell' which could make alot of sense because the term 'Amniomorphic' could quite easily be a juxtaposition of the word 'Amniote' a word that describes a sub-class of four-limbed animals including Mammals, Birds and Reptiles exclusively, and the word 'Morphic' meaning indicating shape, form, or structure of a specified kind.

Discord being a Draconiquus, a creature made up exclusively of Mammals, Birds and Reptiles of all kinds. So I was thinking, what if Starswirl was conducting an experiment with Amniomorphic spells and one of the spells went wrong and transformed him into a Draconiquus...

• Brohoof 2

I would never have thought of that! Interesting.... very interesting... If this is true, then the season finale's gonna be pretty damn epic. But then again it's probably gonna be damn epic anyway, this is My Little Pony we're talking about.

Wow.

Never thought I'd say that. :lol:

Anyway, I like the little speculated story in that article, I can really see something like that happening. If it ends up to just be nothing more than a rumour, I'd like to see some fanfiction based on it anyway. And if fanfiction doesn't come... I shall write it myself! Heehee, that would be my first fanfiction ever~! ^_^

This. Is. AWESOME. It all makes so much sense! I can't believe I didn't see all of this before! *Nightmare Moon voice* Did you not see the signs?! Also, I think that Discord's voice would make an awesome Starswirl voice if you think about it.

Now this leads to so much interesting theories... The next level of her studies is twilight training with discord... She could become mad with power... And omniomorphic spell is a body change spell... Which opens up possibilities to Alicorn Twilight as in Twilight changed herself to become an alicorn to have more power (in a way just like Discord (Starswirl)) did.... Then we could have Alicorn Twilight without the show being completely assraped!!!!

While it seems rather far-fetched, this is a very interesting head canon concept. I can already feel my mind ogling the possibilities.

Starswirl was a prodigy unlike any of his time, in that he was so adept at magic that he began creating magic spells as advanced as time travel, which to this day are still kept in the archives of all unicorns. At some point down the line, he somehow became corrupted by either his own choice or simply due to accident, by way of consumption in powerful magic, and dangerous, unstable spells. The reality-warping magic turned him from a pony into something else entirely; his mind, body and powers all changed drastically.

It would explain why he's so old.

I still kinda prefer my 'he's the embodiment of chaos, and has been around since the beginning of time' concept, though, as simple and maybe uninteresting in comparison as it is.

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with you, the concept is simply too interesting to ignore.  Like you said, though, the only problem is his god-like status, and so I gotta agree that, until Hasbro makes it canon, I think that the most likely head-canon concept is that he's the embodiment of chaos, and thus likely been around since the beginning of time.  Still, extremely interesting theory all around.

I read in a YouTube comment somewhere that the recording studio intern who leaked the Discord lines got fired over it.

Sooo...

Yes, lets all believe random un-sourced Youtube comments ;P

Like all the other rumours, I'm just going to wait and see on this one, although I do find this one in particular very fascinating!

Edited by Bubblegum

• 2 weeks later...

1) Princess Luna Seems to know StarSwirl And Celestia Stated That When they arrived to Equestria Discord was already Ruling And Also Why dint Luna be all like "How did you change back to a Pony?" When she though Twilight was The Real StarSwirl.

2) In the New Episode Discord stated Fluttershy Is the only friend he EVER had. But What About Clover the Clever?

Edited by Cyborg Empreror Kaidou
  • Brohoof 2

Uh...what?

First of all, how did Starswirl ever come to this? Discord is obviously not Starswirl the Bearded. What's up with that?

Secondly, your first statement makes no sense whatsoever. Luna did not say that line. She never thought Twilight was the real Starswirl.

And when did Clover the Clever come into this?

• Brohoof 3

Uh...what?

First of all, how did Starswirl ever come to this? Discord is obviously not Starswirl the Bearded. What's up with that?

Secondly, your first statement makes no sense whatsoever. Luna did not say that line. She never thought Twilight was the real Starswirl.

And when did Clover the Clever come into this?

WTF are you talking about?

Alot of people had a rumor that Discord Is starswirl. I made this to proof them wrong

From what I saw Luna though Twilight was StarSwirl in that Episode of Pony halloween or something. Just for a second she dint know it was a costume.

Clover was the student Of StarSwirl

Alot of people had a rumor that Discord Is starswirl. I made this to proof them wrong

Since when? And many people are smart enough now to know that he isn't.

From what I saw Luna though Twilight was StarSwirl in that Episode of Pony halloween or something. Just for a second she dint know it was a costume.

Of course she did. She recognized Twilight's costume. She didn't mistaken her for Starswirl.

Clover was the student Of StarSwirl

So what? Does it relate to Discord at all?

• Brohoof 2

Since when? And many people are smart enough now to know that he isn't.

Of course she did. She recognized Twilight's costume. She didn't mistaken her for Starswirl.

So what? Does it relate to Discord at all?

1) Still...

2) Rewatched The Episode, Sorry I have mistakened,

3) Discord said Fluttershy Is the only friend he ever had. So he cant be StarSwirl since He and Clover are most likly to have some kind of a friendship

@,

StevenParker95 also said:

"Sorry to burst your bubbles, everyone, but Meghan McCarthy has stated on her Twitter page that Discord isn't Star Swirl. She also ranted at the internet for being "worse than [Discord]"."

• Brohoof 4

@,

StevenParker95 also said:

"Sorry to burst your bubbles, everyone, but Meghan McCarthy has stated on her Twitter page that Discord isn't Star Swirl. She also ranted at the internet for being "worse than [Discord]"."

I dont have a twitter, so I wouldnt know these things *shrugpony here*

But still, It is an entertaining notion. I think it would make for a cool episode...

Like I said, StarSwirl and Clover have got to have some kind of a friendship seeing how He was his Student. Wich would mean Discord lied when he said FS is his only friend he ever had

I repeat. He. Is. NOT. Starswirl.

Need I post the proof here?

2iu2q1i.png

Thus, Clover the Clever has no relationship with Discord.

If it's true that Clover the Clever is somehow, for some blasphemous reason, friends with Discord, he would have reformed a long time ago. 

• Brohoof 3

I'm guessing you missed all the speculation that happened a little while back?  ^_^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The evidence that Discord is or ever was Starswirl didn't seem very solid from the start. I mean... Didn't it spawn from supposedly leaked dialogue audio that no one ever heard?  :lol: The coincidences were interesting at the time but i wouldn't put money on it. 

• Brohoof 1

1) Princess Luna Seems to know StarSwirl And Celestia Stated That When they arrived to Equestria Discord was already Ruling And Also Why dint Luna be all like "How did you change back to a Pony?" When she though Twilight was The Real StarSwirl.

2) In the New Episode Discord stated Fluttershy Is the only friend he EVER had. But What About Clover the Clever?

These are not "proofs", they are (much like the rumor that Discord is Starswirl) speculative statements. Just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, here are some counterpoints to your "proof":

1. In the episode Hearth's Warming Eve, the ponies act in a play depicting how Equestria was formed. In this play, Twilight plays the role of Clover the Clever, yet what becomees of her mentor Starswirl the Bearded is never mentioned. It's very possible that Starswirl became Discord at some point between the forming of Equestria and when Celestia and Luna arrived, as Discord is not mentioned in the play either.

2. It's also equally likely that Discord cannot (or chooses not to) remember his life as Starswirl the Bearded for whatever reason. If Discord really was Starswirl, it would explain how he has such a good understanding of pony magic, and why when he was in the Royal Canterlot Garden in the beginning of Return to Harmony, Part 1, which we've seen is just outside the Canterlot Archives (and subsequently the Starswirl the Bearded wing) in It's About Time.

It is entirely possible Discord IS Starswirl, as it would logically explain why Celestia needed to have him reformed, as she could posssibly turn Discord back into Starswirl to teach Twilight more advanced magic. This is also backed up by the fact that the synopsis for the season finale Magical Mystery Cure says Twilight needs to create her own magic to fix the spell that backfired.

Edited by Twinhead B
  • Brohoof 1