Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Discord actually Starswirl the Bearded?

That Colt

78 users have voted

1. 1. Are Discord and Star Swirl the same person?

• Yes
    • No

While this is possibly false, it seems the coincidences matched up quite well.  (just saying that).  It would be really cool if he was but  I just don't see it.

Oh and those two 

1) Princess Luna Seems to know StarSwirl And Celestia Stated That When they arrived to Equestria Discord was already Ruling And Also Why dint Luna be all like "How did you change back to a Pony?" When she though Twilight was The Real StarSwirl.
2) In the New Episode Discord stated Fluttershy Is the only friend he EVER had. But What About Clover the Clever?

That first one is false as this is what Luna Said "Starswirl the bearded, a commendable costume, though even got the bells right." 

1. In the episode Hearth's Warming Eve, the ponies act in a play depicting how Equestria was formed. In this play, Twilight plays the role of Clover the Clever, yet, Starswirl is not mentioned at all in the episode. It's very possible that Starswirl became Discord at some point between the forming of Equestria and when Celestia and Luna arrived, as Discord is not mentioned in the play either.

Not mentioned at all? My good sir, you are labouring under a misapprehension - to quote Clover the Clever as played by Twilight Sparkle: "They must be Windigos. My mentor, Starswirl the Bearded, told me about them."

Star Swirl was Clover the Clever's mentor. Discord was not mentioned, indeed, but SStB most definitely was.

Saying Star Swirl is Discord is similar to saying Princess Celestia was one of the timber wolves that chased the young Granny Smith. i.e. extremely unlikely, but not impossible - much like a celestial teapot.

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 1

Not mentioned at all? My good sir, you are labouring under a misapprehension - to quote Clover the Clever as played by Twilight Sparkle: "They must be Windigos. My mentor, Starswirl the Bearded, told me about them."

Star Swirl was Clover the Clever's mentor. Discord was not mentioned, indeed, but SStB most definitely was.

Saying Star Swirl is Discord is similar to saying Princess Celestia was a timber wolf. i.e. extremely unlikely, but not impossible - much like a celestial teapot.

Whoops! Totally forgot about that scene. Regardless, what happened to Starswirl was never mentioned. The point I'm trying to make is, none of our theories on the subject can be considered FACT. Both situations are equally as likely, and we'll never know either way until it is proven.

I seemed to have missed the whole kerfluffle about Discord being Starswirl in the first place. It's down there with Twilight being Nightmare's daughter and Tom Bombadil being the Witch King on the list of things that are so bizarrely unlikely in the first place as to not need a rebuttal.

• Brohoof 1

While I think the SStB= Discord theory is mostly just funny fanon, I find most arguments against it in this thread weak. Twinhead B hit it on the nail.

1) Princess Luna Seems to know StarSwirl And Celestia Stated That When they arrived to Equestria Discord was already Ruling And Also Why dint Luna be all like "How did you change back to a Pony?" When she though Twilight was The Real StarSwirl.

Um, no. She saw it was a costume.

2) In the New Episode Discord stated Fluttershy Is the only friend he EVER had. But What About Clover the Clever?

There's the "Discord doesn't consider himself to be Star Swirl" possibility.

And outside that Mentor/Student does not require friendship, you know.

Take Twilight's relationship with Celestia, and remove the overly friendly scenes. What do you get? A standoffish mentor and a worshipful student.

While I think the SStB= Discord theory is mostly just funny fanon, I find most arguments against it in this thread weak. Twinhead B hit it on the nail.

Um, no. She saw it was a costume.

There's the "Discord doesn't consider himself to be Star Swirl" possibility.

And outside that Mentor/Student does not require friendship, you know.

Take Twilight's relationship with Celestia, and remove the overly friendly scenes. What do you get? A standoffish mentor and a worshipful student.

Well, I was merely trying to postulate the notion that perhaps Discord can't remember himself to be Starswirl. At the end of the day, fanon is fanon, regardless of how convincing the argument is. Meghan McCarthy's tweet sort of throws a platinum monkey wrench into any theories that Discord is Starswirl, unless she's trolling us, which is entirely possible.

People, Megan McCarthy even said he's not.

it makes no sense, he's not discord.

is there any real proof that they are in any way related?

It all came from some "leaked" script lines from john de lancie referencing twilight's costume on nightmare night and some other stuff about discord being a pony but It was all just rumor anyway so I suppose it doesn't really matter .

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at the MLP: FiM Wiki at Star Swirl The Bearded. I looked at the comments and people have been lead to believe Discord is Star Swirl. I was interested and read why they thought this, an I am beginning to think it might be true... 

1. In "Keep Calm and Flutter On" he said he never really had a friend. And Star Swirl couldn't finish the spell because he didn't understand friendship as well as Twilight did.  

2. When Twilight said the spell from the book aloud, it caused disharmony among the Cutie Marks of her friends.

3. He gave up on the spell when he couldn't understand friendship.

I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks this, anyone else is against or indifferent to this. Because, what will the writers do in Season 4 with this discovery? (as I am going to put it.  ^_^

• Brohoof 4

Actually i am agree with Sokidge Inks. You just told exactly points that i thought about :)

Starswirl does not hide. He is not originaly discord - he is become discord by circumstances. Which? Who know! My guess - he had servents while he was just high magician, and while he made his unfinished spell, the cutie marks of his servants was shuffled between ponies, as well as this spell change cuity marks of mane six. While Twilight knew magic of friendship, she could fix it and finish a spell. But Starswirl the bearded did not, so while he tried to fix it, he acutally fall in facination over such disharmony, and by time became discord.

Of course everything of this is just guess :)

Edited by IceBeerG
  • Brohoof 2

The rumor has been around for a while. It originated from a guy who had "leaked" lines from Keep Calm and Flutter On. At that time some people thought it true. Others not. I personally wished for it to be true cuz that would of been amazing. But when the episode came out and discord never said one of those lines people through the rumor into the trash.

But who knows right? Maybe he can still be discord. To be honest still, i would love to see that be true, but sadly its seems unlikely at the moment. Even with the evidence at hand.

• Brohoof 2

That is actually a good point Splodge Inks, I never actually thought about a relation between Starswirl and Discord. There is a possibility that Starswirl turned himself into a draconequus and caused all this havoc but Celestia never mentions Starswirl being evil or chaotic. Also, Celestia would have probably known if Starswirl did something like this since she keeps guard over Equrestria with Luna. Even so, those are really good and interesting connections. For now, I am indifferent.

• Brohoof 1

I can tell that Star Swirl The Bearded, really made a huge reference in the book that he trying to finish the spell to. Twilight was able to solve it because, she really does have a relationship with friendship now, even when she first came to Ponyville and did not have an interest for friends at all. Pretty much, Star Swirl must have predicted chaos.

But what about Twilight's costume? the one she used for Nightmare Night.

S2E04_Twilight_explaining_about_Star_Swi

She looked like she was dressed up as a bearded pony (if it was Discord, she would have used "other" accessories), so Star Swirl was... well, a pony.

Now these ideas are really cool, what if Discord was originally a pony that transformerd himself into the creature that he is now? But again, I think that Celestia would already know if he was Star Swirl .

Woo.png

this animal crossing image describes what I feel now  :lol:

But what about Twilight's costume? the one she used for Nightmare Night.

img-1201548-1-S2E04_Twilight_explaining_

She looked like she was dressed up as a bearded pony (if it was Discord, she would have used "other" accessories), so Star Swirl was... well, a pony.

Now these ideas are really cool, what if Discord was originally a pony that transformerd himself into the creature that he is now? But again, I think that Celestia would already know if he was Star Swirl .

img-1201548-2-Woo.png

this animal crossing image describes what I feel now  :lol:

You're assuming that there isn't a mass cover-up/conspiracy going on in Equestria, why wouldn't Celestia keep this whole thing a secret if in fact it does hold some truth, people go nuts in this world when a celebrity tarnishes everyone's sparkling image of them as a movie god in a tuxedo and gets arrested for drunk driving. Now imagine the same scenario with what we all are hypothesizing here. Would everypony loose faith in Celestia if they ever found out that their legendary god-like unicorn(Star Swirl) was in fact Discord? Would everypony loose faith in her power to protect Equestria the moment they realized she was powerless to stop Star Swirl from corrupting himself? :blink: She'll do anything to keep that a secret, Da Vinci Code style. That's my theory anyway.

Edited by MMFAN
  • Brohoof 2

Interesting. They do both have white beards.

Also, according to Twilight in Luna Eclipsed, Star-Swirled was a master of omniomorphic spells. That would be an all-encompassing shape spell. Star-Swirl becoming Discord could have been the result of him failing the spell that Twilight finished and sucessfully cast in Magical Mystery Cure.   

In Keep Calm and Flutter On, Discord says he's never had a friend before. In Magical Mystery Cure, the reason Star-Swirl couldn't finish the spell was because he didn't understand friendship.

Discord can time travel; he did so with Twilight in The Return of Harmony. Star Swirl is the master of time travel. In It's About Time, he had a whole wing of the royal archives devoted to his work, and it's heavily guarded. Why? Because DISCORD, baby.

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 3

Interesting. They do both have white beards.

Also, according to Twilight in Luna Eclipsed, Star-Swirled was a master of omniomorphic spells. That would be an all-encompassing shape spell. Star-Swirl becoming Discord could have been the result of him failing the spell that Twilight finished and sucessfully cast in Magical Mystery Cure.   

In Keep Calm and Flutter On, Discord says he's never had a friend before. In Magical Mystery Cure, the reason Star-Swirl couldn't finish the spell was because he didn't understand friendship.

Discord can time travel; he did so with Twilight in The Return of Harmony. Star Swirl is the master of time travel. In It's About Time, he had a whole wing of the royal archives devoted to his work, and it's heavily guarded. Why? Because DISCORD, baby.

man it's so convincing what you wrote I'd believe you instantly if it wasn't speculating  :lol:  Anyways, it seems that Discord was a pony once.

You're assuming that there isn't a mass cover-up/conspiracy going on in Equestria, why wouldn't Celestia keep this whole thing a secret if in fact it does hold some truth, people go nuts in this world when a celebrity tarnishes everyone's sparkling image of them as a movie god in a tuxedo and gets arrested for drunk driving. Now imagine the same scenario with what we all are hypothesizing here. Would people loose faith in Celestia if they ever found out that their legendary god-like unicorn was in fact Discord? Would everypony loose faith in her power to protect Equestria the moment they realized she was powerless to stop Star Swirl from corrupting himself? :blink: She'll do anything to keep that a secret, Da Vinci Code style. That's my theory anyway.

wat.

• Brohoof 2

If Discord is the result of Starswirl messing things up somehow, then that also explains why the Windigoes showed up so suddenly in the Hearth's Warming Eve tale, at least when taking into account that the second-highest ranked unicorn at the time was Starswirl's apprentice (implying that Starswirl himself had become disgraced and/or otherwise unfit for responsibility by then).

Presumably it took longer for Discord to reach his full power and/or find out where the new nation had been founded, thus why he didn't return (theoretically at least, we don't have clear records for the time) until some time after the Royal Sisters appeared.

• Brohoof 1

ok guys think bak to the spell in the book celestia said it was unfinished so the spell was meant to change the cutie mark 

i believe that since it was unfinished  the cutie mark switch was a side effect of twi the unfinished spell and the true Purpose of the spell was to give the elements of harmony enough power to turn a pony in to and alicorn hence y when twi finished the spell the elements activated and blasted her and the end result was alicorn twi so my thought is celestia didnt turn twi in to an alicorn the spell did.

i also believe that the part with celestia was like in some other shoe before the main character gain powers they sometime so in to this dream state where they see flash baks of their life and talk to a mentor or someone they look up to well there my thought you guys can agree or prove it wrong its up to you

You guys all put up great answers! I thought I'd never get anyone to reply! :D

I never really thought how Star Swirl would turn into Discord, but you guys had helped me a lot!

Yes, I have began to believe that Discord is Starswirl's spell gone wrong which turned him into what he is today. But what would happen to Discord in Season 4? Do you think he might share something from his past to Fluttershy or maybe even Twilight, which I think is quite unlikely. :blink:  But it would be cool if he did share with Fluttershy!