Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How does a unicorn/alicorn survive a magical blast to the horn?

sampsoninc916

As you can recall, in A Canterlot Wedding Part 2, Princess Celestia bravely and boldly, since she's so loving and caring about her subjects, attempts to defend them from Queen Chrysalis by using her powerful magic. The show, nor do I, believe that she's a goddess, yet she is never a weakling at all too. Only through sucking up so much love was Chrysalis able to overpower Celestia. Yet every time someone says "overpower", "defeat", and "beat" in that sense, I almost always think of death, killed, not coming back. But how did she even survive that magical blast. I know the show establishes that she was just knocked out, but what I want to know is how she managed to survive. Why exactly did the writers go for such a thing? If they were allowed to, why didn't they kill off Celestia the way they killed off Optimus Prime in the animated Transformers movie from 1986? I wonder how humans even survive getting knocked out. I believe the reason I'm asking this is that I don't know what it feels like to be knocked out with a blow, and also, I don't think that a pretty pony such as Celestia deserves to be killed off so easily like a 98 pound weakling, or hurt so badly. Traditionally, women and female characters tend to feel more vulnerable than men, which is why I don't have a problem with James Bond getting knocked out, hurt, or almost killed, and yet he manages to kick honey buns all the time. If I was a faithful student of Celestia, I would ask her to love me and give me reassurance about many of the worries that I have, because it's a bad thing if you worry too much about something that's not related to you. If you give me decent and acceptable answers on this problem, as well as reassurance, I won't have any problems too much with A Canterlot Wedding anymore, and I believe the reason why I have only 2 problems with it is because it is so good, like excellent.

Wall-O-Text.jpg

Also, why wouldn't she survive it? What do Transformers have to do with My Little Pony? I'm sorry but I don't get anything you're saying either, some parts are just plain badly written and not understandable. :/

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

What I mean is that some people are so vulnerable that they can die just from falling down the stairs or just from falling down on the floor or something minor in the likes of that. Well, I fell down the stairs once and I never died. I even fell out of a tree onto the ground, and yet I'm still kicking. I seemed to watch this video once of a story set in the late 19th century I think, where this girl fell down on the floor whilst playing with her sister I think, and she was maybe knocked unconscious or probably died. There's also a story by Upton Sinclair written in 1905 or 1906 where it has a scene where a little boy falls through a grater in a New York City street and dies. How can you die from that? I would be hurt if I fell through a grater in a New York City street, but I wouldn't die, dead gum it!

Oh, what does Transformers have to do with My Little Pony? THEY'RE BOTH OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANY, HASBRO!!!

Edited by sampsoninc916

What I mean is that some people are so vulnerable that they can die just from falling down the stairs or just from falling down on the floor or something minor in the likes of that. Well, I fell down the stairs once and I never died. I even fell out of a tree onto the ground, and yet I'm still kicking. I seemed to watch this video once of a story set in the late 19th century I think, where this girl fell down on the floor whilst playing with her sister I think, and she was maybe knocked unconscious or probably died. There's also a story by Upton Sinclair written in 1905 or 1906 where it has a scene where a little boy falls through a grater in a New York City street and dies. How can you die from that? I would be hurt if I fell through a grater in a New York City street, but I wouldn't die, dead gum it!

Oh, what does Transformers have to do with My Little Pony? THEY'RE BOTH OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANY, HASBRO!!!

Sorry, I don't watch Transformers. Anyway, about falling down, sometimes you can fall awkwardly and break your neck. Yeah, not the best thing ever. And sometimes you can survive a grenade just by lying down, if the shrapnel goes mostly upwards.

Edited by PinkiePai

I think I have an idea. Even thou Queen Chrysalis had more power, Princess Celestia was still had enough power to weaken the attack. So she reduced it from being a death blow to just being nocked out.

Now this is just an odd ball idea I just came up with. 

As you can recall, in A Canterlot Wedding Part 2, Princess Celestia bravely and boldly, since she's so loving and caring about her subjects, attempts to defend them from Queen Chrysalis by using her powerful magic. The show, nor do I, believe that she's a goddess, yet she is never a weakling at all too. Only through sucking up so much love was Chrysalis able to overpower Celestia. Yet every time someone says "overpower", "defeat", and "beat" in that sense, I almost always think of death, killed, not coming back. But how did she even survive that magical blast. I know the show establishes that she was just knocked out, but what I want to know is how she managed to survive. Why exactly did the writers go for such a thing? If they were allowed to, why didn't they kill off Celestia the way they killed off Optimus Prime in the animated Transformers movie from 1986? I wonder how humans even survive getting knocked out. I believe the reason I'm asking this is that I don't know what it feels like to be knocked out with a blow, and also, I don't think that a pretty pony such as Celestia deserves to be killed off so easily like a 98 pound weakling, or hurt so badly. Traditionally, women and female characters tend to feel more vulnerable than men, which is why I don't have a problem with James Bond getting knocked out, hurt, or almost killed, and yet he manages to kick honey buns all the time. If I was a faithful student of Celestia, I would ask her to love me and give me reassurance about many of the worries that I have, because it's a bad thing if you worry too much about something that's not related to you. If you give me decent and acceptable answers on this problem, as well as reassurance, I won't have any problems too much with A Canterlot Wedding anymore, and I believe the reason why I have only 2 problems with it is because it is so good, like excellent.

First of all: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+do+people+get+knocked+out

And really, I think it's just a plot decision made by Hasbro not to kill off any of the main characters. It is a show for little girls after all.

You refer back to Optimus Primes death in the Transformers movie. This should answer your question to Hasbro's decision as there was a gigantic fan backlash at Optimus Primes death. As any fan of transformers knows his death was short lived. Can you imagine the backlash from fans and parents alike if Celestia was killed? Heck a subgroup of parents couldnt stand the idea of a clumsy character with derp eyes, despite its previous prevalence in cartoons. The nightmare killing off a character like Celestia would cause is pretty insane to think about.

Whether people die when they get depends a lot more on how they get hit than how fragile they are. It's possible to die from an explosion stopping your heart and not leaving a scratch on you. Other people might get have half their skin seared off and yet live. It's fairly random and horribly so when you consider how precious our lives are.

That being said, I imagine any pony has a certain amount of innate magical resistance to them above and beyond what they can use consciously. A person doesn't up and die when they run out of strength, they just collapse. Actually killing them requires further effort on the part of the attacker. People can be surprisingly tough even when they aren't very strong.

I wasn't too happy with the fight, but I saw why it had to happen. The only real alternative would be for Celestia to stand there and watch Chrysalis take over. I was half-expecting exactly that to happen as the Changeling Queen waxed ever more eloquent and Celestia had seemingly disappeared entirely. I thought how it was done was kind of poor. I would've had her send the Mane Six for the Elements first and then confront Chrysalis - buying them time to run. It'd make her a little more like a self-sacrificing hero and a little less than an overblown Trixie.

There are magic duels all the time. If you ever played a DBZ game, you know that you can clash Kamehameha's together and, whoever is victorious, doesn't necessarily kill the other opponent. That's exactly what I thought of when I saw this fight.

Umm Celestia is the one raising the sun every day. You dont just defeat the person responsible for bringing day. And "Defeat" can never really happen in a show like this. It's like villans in Power Ranger episodes. When they get shot they don't bleed sparks just fly out from their chest and you see them 2 episodes later. It makes things more interesting in my opinion. I got my wish with season 3 i wanted to see Trixie come back and challenge Twilight. It leaves options open for the future.

I think the word overpower/defeat/beat equaling death has more to do with media in general than this show in particular. It's a way to say kill without actually saying kill. It's similar to to eliminate, neutralize, "take out", and even execute (which actually means "do"), except that those words have meant kill so long that they aren't sufficiently distant any more. Any we're getting to the point where the new batch feel almost as tainted as the old ones. I suppose we could say that Chrysalis subdued Celestia, if we want to be really clear that Celestia is not, in fact, dead.

As important as the horn is to a unicorn or alicorn's lifestyle, I don't think it's a vital organ. Even if one's horn was destroyed I think he could go about his life as any earth pony would. We saw Rarity getting her horn filed in the spa with Fluttershy. That also implies that it might even grow and require maintenance, so maybe a broken horn wouldn't be a permanent injury even if it did cause great pain. Given that they can file their horns without it causing crippling agony, I'm not certain that even a destroyed horn would cause pain.

When Celestia got floored it looked to me like she was stunned by the force of the impact alone. As if somebody had slugged her in the face. She probably couldn't even feel that apparent burn on the tip of her horn. Of course, my guess is as good as any, and that's all it is in the end.

As for the rest of what you were talking about:

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 1