Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How long does it take you to fall asleep?

Miss Light Diamond

How do some people fall asleep within 10-20 minutes? For me, it usually takes 1 hour to 1&1/2 hours to fall asleep, and in some extreme cases 2+ hours. I'm kind of a thinker, so no matter how tired I am, my mind is still thinking of something. I also know people who can fall asleep listening to music. If I listen to music when I sleep, it's impossible for me to fall asleep, however I still listen to music sometimes on bed just to get my mind of other things, or to stop thinking altogether. 

Edited by Flip
  • Brohoof 1

When I was younger I couldn't fall asleep at all, I layed there in bed for like 3 hours. Now I could go to sleep in half an hours if it's like midnight and I'm tired, but I still have a bit of trouble sleeping.

I have a friend who can fall asleep in a matter if minutes, and it's irritating. Anywhere from half an hour to an hour for me. I don't understand how people can fall asleep so fast; I don't care how tired they are. Even if I'm exhausted it's half an hour at the least.

Well I usually go to bed very late, at around 2-4 am. It takes me about one and a half hour to fall asleep I believe. I don't sleep very much.

Very little time, since I rarely go to bed without feeling like I may die any minute. Let's say <10 minutes.

If I go to bed without feeling really tired, then it takes virtually forever, like 2 hours, which is why I don't do it.

Usually I go to bed around 9:30~10:00, but I don't fall asleep until 11:00~11:30. I'll usually just browse this site or watch youtube until I feel tired.

My habits are really strange when it comes to getting to sleep.

Firstly, I've noticed that I can't fall asleep on my stomach any more, only on my back or side. HOWEVER, I can't START on my back. Then I just won't fall asleep.

As far as an actual timetable, it takes me about 30 minutes to get to sleep normally. If I fell asleep at ANY point during the day, however, it takes me closer to an hour. Sometimes, though, it takes me much longer, and that's when I usually get mad and screw myself even further. Those nights usually take 2-3 hours.

I've never truly thought on this subject, but I'd say somewhere in between the 5-15 minute markers.  I've never really had many issues with getting a proper nights' sleep.  The only thing that would hinder my ability to sleep would be extreme anxiety or excitement for the next day. 

I've been known to be able to sleep nearly anywhere, and utilize the most uncomfortable places to sleep.  A good example may sleeping in a small, makeshift tent that was setup on marshy grounds and sleeping in rainy, -10C weather with some wind.  Woke up with a few critters attached to me.  Though, these kinds of nights take me around 30 minutes to get myself to sleep.

• Brohoof 1

So I'll be sitting here in front of my computer watching a video, listening to some song on Youtube that someone pointed me to; hammering out some awesome posts, or playing a game — lounging in front of my computer doing things that require some amount of effort or cognizance, all the while fighting to keep my eyes open and half suffocating as I fight to keep conscious while my body slows my breathing for sleep.

A few minutes later I yield to my instincts and shuffle over to my incredibly comfortable bed. Once I'm laying there all snuggly-wuggly and warm, I find myself wide awake and waiting about 45 minutes before giving up and plodding back to my computer.

That's where melatonin comes into play. Since I can't sleep like a normal human, I'll sedate myself.

I also tend to wake up in the middle of the night and I get regular sleep paralysis, which doesn't help.

Sleep paralysis isn't a regular thing for me but somehow I seem to know when it's going to happen before going to sleep. All you can do is wait it out after you wake up and find that it's happened. Getting myself mad helps if I'm able to do it, which I often can't; the extra adrenaline overrides whatever causes the paralysis, I guess.

I once managed to roll out of bed. Hitting the floor got me going.

It took me 2-4 hours to get to sleep the other night, i ended up going to university on a total of 3 hours of sleep.

The quickest i fall to sleep is in about an hour, but it usually takes 2+ hours.

Two things change it for me. It about an hour in summer and about half an hour in the winter. Also, if I am completely shattered it will take 15 minutes, sometimes it is only 5.

Edited by Coffee123

day and night

i am always tired

but at night

i stay up just late enough

until i am exhausted enough

until i can fall into my bed 

and into immediate slumber

because i can't stand

to lie in my bed in a dark room

alone with my thoughts

for so many hours

• Brohoof 2

I can never get to sleep when i need to; it is only at the precipace of my drowsiness do i begin to sleep. Even then, my body will fight back, like theres the need to do somthing before i retire.

Quite frequantly, ill find myself reading fanfics until failure, which is around 6 in the morning, them i get up at 7 for school.

My yesterday night was spent reading, without sleep. i then wrote my exam today. Although, through the readings, i can say i was literately prepared, as it was an essay exam XD

The time it takes for me to fall asleep varies each night, depending on how tired I am and how stimulated my brain currently is. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

The problem I have is that I fall into sleep paralysis almost every night nowadays. It's a really annoying phenomenon where your brain sort of "shuts off" all of your muscles before you actually lose consciousness, when it should normally be the other way around. It feels really weird, like there's a pressure on my chest and I can't move anything but my fingers and toes. Eventually, if I try hard enough, I break out of the spell and can move freely again. If I stay in sleep paralysis for long enough, though, I start to have really creepy hallucinations. Hearing things and seeing things that aren't there. Apparently, after you enter sleep paralysis, the brain will start dreaming while you're still conscious, which can cause lucid dreams. The problem is that the transition into the dream state involves really creepy hallucinations and an inability to do... anything. I always get too freaked out and end up making myself move before the lucid dreaming starts, otherwise I'd totally be flying around Equestria or 2Fort or something.  :(

for me it takes a range from 45 minutes to almost never at all. but mostly between 45mins to 2 hours. i have real bad insomia and sometimes i have to take sleeping meds to get me to sleep. i have been off it officaly but i need it every once in a while. i work two jobs and have a son, so lately i have been getting to sleep between 45mins to 2 hours. sometimes i watch MLP until i go to sleep! :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I've become quite the fast sleeper, taking about 4-5 minutes on a regular day. Hard days or days I'm really thinking will make me take about 10-30 minutes before I can sleep. The fastest time it took me to fall asleep one night was when I didn't sleep for around 30 hours, it was 10PM and I go to rest my head, blink, than suddenly sunlight was coming in from the window. It was 7 am. 

Edited by Retro✮Derpy

I know right! how do they do it?? It takes me about 45 minutes to fall asleep, and once I fall asleep, I'M DEAD! try to wake me up, you get a slap in the face. sometimes it's on accident, sometimes it's not. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's really random for me.

Sometimes when I put my head on my pillow I'm out in seconds, but if I have something distressing going on the next day I'll be lucky if I get 2 or 3 hours of sleep.

I've made myself sick because of the anxiety I get sometime. I've had too many nights where I haven't slept at all.

So on normal nights, I sleep fine, but when I'm stressed, forget about it.

45 minutes to 2 hours, though sometimes I lie awake in bed and can't get to sleep, that usually lasts about 4-5 hours.  I hate when it's time to fall asleep.