Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Older browsers

~Princess Luna~

Just how old are we talking here?  :huh:

Looking over some traffic statistics only a small minority of our visitors use Internet Explorer, with a minority of that minority using IE8 or lower. Given how few people use it, I don't know that it's necessarily worth the time and effort to try and work around all of the... quirks that are associated with older versions of IE. Assuming it is even possible to do so - we could very well be limited in our ability to do so due to the forum software that we make use of.

My honest suggestion would be to either update to the latest version of Internet Explorer or to make use of an alternative browser - I think you'll find that websites in general (not just this one) will work much better - not to mention the fact that whatever browser you end up with will no doubt be much more secure than an old version of Internet Explorer.  :blink:

• Brohoof 8

Looking over some traffic statistics only a small minority of our visitors use Internet Explorer,

post-6557-0-36987700-1361000417_thumb.png

Anyway, yeah, I don't see why you're not the one who's updating. It only makes sense, really.

• Brohoof 2

Most people will probably recommend that you switch to Chrome and some will say Firefox. I like them both, so I'd go with either of them over IE. But if you do decide to start using Firefox, use Pale Moon. Simply put it's a customized and stripped down version of Firefox that's a bit more efficient. Try them out and see what suits you best.

• Brohoof 1

This happens to me as well. On Internet Explorer, the top half of the forum, with your username, notifications, and sometimes even the buttons on the Banner, are all cut off, and there's no way to scroll up to get to them. I'd recommend switching to Firefox.

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 1

I'm using Safari...

Anyways, Internet Exploder Explorer is pretty bad and I would switch to Google Crome or Firefox. I'm only on Safari because I'm on my iPod. I actually timed the start up times on my old laptop and I think Google Crome was faster than IE by about half a minute :)

• Brohoof 1

I use Google Chrome most of time now on my Macbook.

THe only time I use Internet Explorer is for the Internet at my school, and even then some of the computers have Google Chrome on it.   I have a Macbook so Safari was my original browser on here at first. Now I just use Google Chrome. :)

• Brohoof 1

Also do remember, the cost of supporting older browser are high cause every feature has to be made oldstyle proof. And older versions of IE are the worst to develop for. So all we can say is, upgrade, it's not worth it, you put stress on website developers. All which are unnecessary, users should just learn to get newer versions. They are safer, work better and do more.

• Brohoof 1

If you're having problems with Internet Explorer, you should download another browser.

To be honest, I have no idea why you're still using it when there are better alternatives.

• Brohoof 1

Why can't you just upgrade? Unless you're computer is so old that it won't let you use modern browsers! Why do I allways end every sentence with an exclamation mark?!

• Brohoof 1

I have worse problems than just the "sign in" being largely unavailable:

At
least 5 times now, and one of those times on Firefox (the ones before
that on IE), i have logged in, come in, but as soon as i used a link or
clicked away a message talking about "safe connection" or "encrypted page" ... or Firefox's "save password?" .... i has become logged out from this site, unable to post!

This last time, i took the sign in on the firefox page, and didn't bother clicking anywhere on the "save password" thing ...

If you are reading this, it seems to have worked this time.

• Brohoof 1

This is something I'd recommend making a ticket about so the tech ponies can help you troubleshoot and get it resolved.

Perhaps ... but i have no idea how to "make a ticket".

I get stupid when i see the page you linked to.

I mean ... "Title"?

Shouldn't there be a place where it says "problem" instead?

I have no idea.

Oh, by the way, that link worked as it should(it did not log me out), nor do i get logged out by shifting between pages in the same topic.

However, using the notification links do log me out ...

By the way, i haven't had ANY such problems with either IE or Firefox before ... like, 2 days ago.

And, on topic:

When i use IE, this site's pages load faster, partially because the "equestria background" isn't loaded ....

So, having to use Firefox on here currently just increase the waiting for the pages for me ...

Interesting, now i am on IE, and i haven't gotten logged out yet ...

It seems to have something to do with that secure or insecure connection thing when i logged on, ... this whole thing is wierd ...

And sorry for disturbing in this topic ...

Although, yes, loading the pages do take less time for me on IE, because the equestriapicture in the background doesn't have to load.

• Brohoof 1

Which version of IE are you having problems on?

I might not be web staff, but I can say that the site looks fine in Internet Explorer 10 (and in turn, would mean it probably works fine in IE9).

I may even be able to pinpoint the exact problem, if so.  (Web developer here.)

If you're using Windows XP or IE8 or below...I'd recommend changing browsers, though.

• Brohoof 1

Why can't you just upgrade? Unless you're computer is so old that it won't let you use modern browsers! Why do I allways end every sentence with an exclamation mark?!

I am using windows 95

Sorry it took me long to reply :)

ive been busy :)

• Brohoof 1

Which version of IE are you having problems on?

I might not be web staff, but I can say that the site looks fine in Internet Explorer 10 (and in turn, would mean it probably works fine in IE9).

I may even be able to pinpoint the exact problem, if so.  (Web developer here.)

If you're using Windows XP or IE8 or below...I'd recommend changing browsers, though.

Owtch.

I have XP .... and IE 8 .... XD

I'll update the browser, and see what happens ...

EDIT:

But wait, i had the same problem when i was here on Firefox as well!

And i assume that was the latest version ...

Also, i tried to upgrade to IE 10, but wherever i went, it could say IE10, but then it referred to IE8 anyway!

... Which it was also pointed out to me that i already had if i tried to download it.

The only exception was a place where one could BUY IE8, and IE10 was included in it there ...

Currently, it works fine again, it seems the problem mainly arises when i also get a warning about "unsafe http-connection" or similar, while logging in.

How i log in when the "sign in" is covered?

I zoom out to 75%, and just below the blocking Forum-subscribe, one may see hints at "log in with twitter & facebook" ... and to the right of those, barely seen, if seen at all, the cursor notes a "sign in".

There, i click.

Edited by Tiina Brown