Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are the positive qualities of Rainbow Dash?

Princess Twilight

Okay why the heck not hating just asking why is RARITY popular?

I dont care if she is the element of generosity sometimes she is just the opposite. I hate when she is all about her dresses and how she looks. Dashie aint like that. No i agree first season that was pretty bad... but i hink she made up for it after the first season. And you Rarity fans ha you know you should respect Dashie for savin Rarity's flank from being a um what u call dash A SHOW OFF so before you bad mouth RD think. And rd will always be 20% Cooler

• Brohoof 1

I think it's because that, since boys watch MLP just like girls, I guess they want someone, how you say, "boyish".  She is also cute to me too.  I think her personality gets me(as she makes 2nd place with Fluttershy(who I like just as much).)  Imo, the thing that also gets them might be her mane.  Discluding Rainbow and Pinkie, it took me forever to memorize all of their names.  Rainbow and Pinkie Pie were kinda easy because of their... color scheme.  Rainbow also is what, some may call, "cool".  You know as well as I do that there are many RD memes out there.  So, tbh, I think that sums it up.

Sorry i have been known to rant when people make fun of Dashie and stuff i have no clue why im sorry guys i just get picked on so much i love everything there is to hate so you probably know how it feels to be honest she was the first pony i ever saw and i used to be a HUGE sonic fan so i guess it came from that :3

Sorry i have been known to rant when people make fun of Dashie and stuff i have no clue why im sorry guys i just get picked on so much i love everything there is to hate so you probably know how it feels to be honest she was the first pony i ever saw and i used to be a HUGE sonic fan so i guess it came from that :3

And sorry Rarity fans i guess making fun of you is kinda bullying so i really am sorry i have always tried to respect the opinions of others

• Brohoof 1

She's easy to relate among men- that's a key factor I can't deny. That's not all though.

I would also like to point out that she's one of the most complicated characters in the show. Who doesn't love a pony with insecure interests and a  lifelong dream? Her episodes can be unpopular like Rainbow Falls but overall the RD centric ones are some of the most memorable in the show. (Sonic Rainboom, Read it and Weep, ect.) 

... And can't forget that everyone seems to like pegasi too.

#always wanted to fly  #shes living the dream

• Brohoof 1

Okay why the heck not hating just asking why is RARITY popular?

I dont care if she is the element of generosity sometimes she is just the opposite. I hate when she is all about her dresses and how she looks. Dashie aint like that. No i agree first season that was pretty bad... but i hink she made up for it after the first season. And you Rarity fans ha you know you should respect Dashie for savin Rarity's flank from being a um what u call dash A SHOW OFF so before you bad mouth RD think. And rd will always be 20% Cooler

Just quoting you for funzies. There are a number of Rarity centric topics around here where we can discuss this at length. I love discussing her virtues and flaws like any great fictional figure. But I do want to hear the true RD fans talk about Dashie so I'm not going to derail the topic.

About Dashie, what was said about her being the 'safe' gateway Pony makes sense, but I'm approaching this my personal view since ... well ... I'm not comfortable talking for the RD fans and the community in general. RD is a really slippery character for me to pin down why I like her. Her association with Scootaloo may be a big part of that, but it's not the only reason. Dash has a lot of little character traits and nuances that are endearing. Her insecurities she hides to preserve her image make her VERY human. Also, she was willing to flush her dream away for a moral code she wasn't about to negotiate away. Her fan girl moments are adorable too!

I want a Rarity and Dash centric episode!

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 4

I've asked myself this a couple times as well. Every character in this show has hit a low point or has a shot of annoying flaws, which is a highly subjective viewpoint. But Rainbow Dash seems to be plagued with so many that she's the most irritating character of the primary cast! The writers have done nothing to "fix" her annoyingly arrogant and self-indulgent attitude displayed by her in just about every episode that doesn't focus on her. And even with that aside, she continues this nonsensical arc of ascendancy over every one else. She might as well walk around with a big flashing sign wrapped around her neck that reads: "I'm insecure."

I mean, the only episode that even attempts to take Rainbow Dash off of her high horse is The Mysterious Mare Do Well, and any effect it would've had on any character in any story completely washes away as she's back pulling the same stupid shit again shortly after. Not to mention that she learns about being loyal to herself and her friends three times in this series! And they're almost never entirely unique experiences like Twilight Sparkle's dominant "learn about friendship" character arc. They're the same plots in different scenarios, as all three of them involve pier pressure. It's like these writers sat down, smoked some pot, and thought that they could augment the element of loyalty as if it's some sort of compromise for her attitude. 

Rainbow Dash has some good episodes, I will admit. Read It and Weep, Sonic Rainboom, and (too a much more average extent in terms of writing) Testing Testing 1, 2, 3 have demonstrated that the character can encounter a plethora of unique problems and have long term effects. But that's exactly the problem! The character can and has undergone these changes, though touching on her bitchy bearings will be ignored completely for the sake of padding out a story with her useless dialogue. Rainbow Dash drags along this constant flanderization regarding to her overconfidence and apparent self-image of being better than everyone that's more annoying than all of Pinkie Pie's ridiculous dialogue in Filli Vanilli.

In the end, I'm still trying to figure out the appeal in modern pop music. So I suppose I'll never understand our society. 

• Brohoof 1

So perhaps others feel this way too, but for me it's so simple.

Flight.

It's something I've kinda dedicated my life to. I'm an aeronautical engineer. I skydive. So it's pretty easy for me to latch onto her character... Despite, honestly, some major character flaws.

She's not the only pegasus, sure. But she's the pegauses that soars. I will never not be captivated by that. Anyone else feel this way?

Edited by dsharp105
  • Brohoof 1

Anything I could say on the subject of why Rainbow Dash is popular (as in, liked by a good number of other people) would be almost purely speculative.  Instead, I will provide reasons I think she should be liked and appreciated:

In terms of aesthetics, she possesses quite a vibrant, stand out appearance.  I dare say it's just about impossible to mistake her for any other pony lol.  Her personality is also vibrant, and - as the series progresses - increasingly varied and complex.  I think this is part of why she's interesting, and it makes her fun to get to know better.  In terms of how she reacts emotionally: her highs are high and her lows are low.  That's a poignant emotional dynamic, if you ask me.  Someone who is full of energy and enthusiasm and confidence at this one point, and someone who behaves as though her biggest, brightest dreams have just been crushed in front of her eyes at another point.  I think the former defines her more than the latter, but both are part of her and have to be there.  Some of her biggest obstacles are obstacles of her own making.  And, you know what?  That's likely true of lots of people.  Rainbow Dash is relatable in that she's not perfect.  She's awesome.  Capable of amazing things.  Has big dreams and tremendous potential.  But she has her flaws; which only serve to make her a more complete and identifiable character.

And here's just a part where I keep talking for whatever reason lol:

And I don't personally get the "boyish" thing people keep bringing up, because I thought she was adorable just about instantly lol.  You're even introduced to her delightful squeaky laugh in the very first episode.  Granted, I've gravitated towards so-called "tomboys" before in things like anime, but that taught me to expect the occasional, overtly feminine moments that surprise even the tomboyish characters and put a blush on their (sometimes simultaneously frowny) face.  But RD has proven herself to be waaaaaay cuter than that over the course of the series.  And the sports thing?  Um...  Fellow forum members...  Fellow Bronies...  Please please please don't tell RD, but...  I don't like sports.  Not even a little.  Though, admittedly, I'd gladly spectate while RD performs feats of athleticism.  Swooning might occur. xD  Don't ruin this for me!!!1!

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 5

She's too much of a generic icon if you ask me.

She's most likely too popular because of all the people who can't even remember the rest of the mane six names.

Hell. I want to why almost every mod has her as thier avatar? Is it because she has wings? I don't fucking know.

Awesome pony

Every episode about her were great (Read It and Weep and Sonic Rainboom are my 2 favorite episodes ever)

Not girly at all

Her voice :wub:

She reads books

Very relatable character (just like Fluttershy and Twilight)

She flies super fast, do awesome things like sonic rainbooms etc.

Clouds :wub:

rainbow_dash_on_cloud_nine_by_shelltoont

(...)

Edited by Blobulle

Her voice :wub:

(...)

The characteristic Rainbow Dash Squeak! I think if there is any trait about RD that I would pin down as the one that stands out to me it's that. Ms. Ball definately does a phenomenal job in cutifying RD through her voice. :D

• Brohoof 1

I would recommend that topics like this be framed a different way so as to invite a less passive aggressive reaction. The RD fans come here with the intent to defend their character (Best Pony or Waifu) and their focus is centered around playing apologetics which changes the tone of the posts. One of my (still) favorite aspects of any fandom is hearing other fans discuss why their character is their favorite. It's an interesting window into them as a person, and I love it. I don't think I'll ever get tired of that. This may be selfish, but when another fanbase feels like has to defend their character I feeling like I'm getting screwed as a outside reader. At least just a little.

RD isn't my favorite ... but there is no denying that there are moments both big and small that make you really appreciate the character as a whole.

And for the whimsical

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 3

Well...

The fact that her element is Loyalty had a lot to do with it for me and the fact that she stood up for Pinkie when she realized what a jerk Gila is being-since I've had a lot of 'friends' stab me in the back.

Her sometimes tomboyish nature is also very endearing to me and helped ease me into the show when my friend asked me to check it out.

I also like her voice.

And she accomplished the impressive feat of creating a Sonic Rainboom, while saving a falling Rarity and three unconscious Wonderbolts.

There are parts of her personality I identify with, like her deep insecurity about herself and what others think about her in several episodes-including "Read It and Weep" which pretty much mirrored my friend getting me into the show and my fear of judgment if I admitted to anyone I actually enjoyed it and the problems it could cause if word had ever gotten out.

And then there's the fact that she called out The Wonderbolts (her idols) on being jerks in two episodes and was willing to help out and mentor Scootaloo by taking on an adoptive big-sister role as well as supporting her when she was feeling down on not being able to fly as well as other Pegasi her age.

Of course, she's not perfect-I personally believe that no decently written character is-she has shown that she can be a jerk or oblivious at times.

But, she has also shown a capacity to learn to try and accept new things (like reading novels) and admit her mistakes (and there are admittedly, quite a few).

• Brohoof 2

I'm wondering...why people love her? Everyone thinks she's cool, and I mean yeah she's alright..and she's cool sometimes, but most of the times, excuse my language, she's a bitch.

This is seriously what I don't get sometimes. Are you guys really to that point where someone's very well laid out flaws make you hate her? Everyone has flaws sister and It's no reason to hate on her. I love Rainbow Dash for just being that archetype that makes the viewer dislike and like her at the same time. It's what makes her a great character.

From my point of perspective this is also why Fluttershy is so popular. Even her flaws aren't very flawed. It's impossible to be mad at her. (No, I'm not hating on Fluttershy)

EDIT: Seriously I'm not- that typo- OOPS.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 3

Okay for the 3rd time don't make rants about RD on a RD thread. That would be walking into a synagogue with a giant ass swastika on your head although that is worse. Don't post this how you hate RD.

P.S. What the in the hell are you talking about

I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond to my post if you couldn't comprehend it in the first place. My response is an argument against the popularity of the character. It's an agreement to the questioning over a fad by pointing out what's wrong with it. Or would you rather me say that "I don't get why Rainbow Dash is so popular either. She's stupid," and not give any qualification whatsoever to my claim? 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond to my post if you couldn't comprehend it in the first place. My response is an argument against the popularity of the character. It's an agreement to the questioning over a fad by pointing out what's wrong with it. Or would you rather me say that "I don't get why Rainbow Dash is so popular either. She's stupid," and not give any qualification whatsoever to my claim?

Sir I gonna keep a cool head about this. I would like to get a respone on why she's popular not why people think she shouldn't be popular. And by I meant at the P.S. is you said you don't understand todays music. What the hell does that have to about anything. If you want to continue this just PM me.
  • Brohoof 1

I just love her! She's swaggish, competitive, ambitious, lazy/athletic, she's got the unique rainbow colors that pop to my eye compared to the rest. :wub:

To me, I look up to her the way Scootaloo does. Rainbow Dash is strong (so is AJ) and fast,..........and well.....I'm none of those things :okiedokielokie:  I'm not as motivated to follow my dreams like she is.

• 2 months later...

I agree with the sentiment that flaws are there to allow them to feel like a real person and being picky about one while saying the others are perfectly fine is foolish. 

I really don't like Rainbow Dash, mostly for two reasons, she seems like a plot device and she conviently forgets what she's learned in one area in specific, and that's her pride.
Personally I don't think what she does is cool and that's my opinion, but even if I did think it was cool I would feel know it comes from insecurity. I don't think she's a full on narcissist, but she damn well nears it, specially considering how fragile her ego is and the whole extreme fear of people disliking her. She does have her moments where the possibility of narcissistic personality disorder go out the window though, because she'll trade her pride and arrogance to keep her friends, even when her ego has been shot. Narcissists are incapable of it and they use people as well basically fuel. That being said I'd be fine with her being cocky or even arrogant on occasion as long as she learns from those traits and grows as a character. But she doesn't. That's the problem. Sure, plenty of awesome episodes where she learns something new, but the lesson when it comes to curbing her pride and arrogance does not. It always comes back. And this is what I also mean by plot device. Even after Sleepless in Ponyville, Wonderbolts academy (In which lighting dust practically shows all out psychopathy) she completely loses it again in Rainbow falls, betraying her friends to work with the wonderbolts (who somehow become worse and worse characters themselves, poor Soarin) and then literally selling Fluttershy for a year+ for a book so she can complete her collection. And yes, she realizes the latter pretty fast and regrets it, but the fact that she was blinded yet again by pride and her own wants destroys all the lessons from Mare Do Well, Fall weather Friends and others that just continue the same lesson over and over.
I would love it if Rainbow actually learned the lesson to not be so arrogant, but so far, it just hasn't stuck :/ Twilight learned that it's ok to show your talents, but there is a difference between showing and showing off. Like she said, nothing to brag about. Braggers are usually insecure about it, which is why all of us do it at some point.

For the record, I don't praise Fluttershy for her faults, though so many do, but I did like that she out right admits it completely to Discord when she says her friends are very nice for putting up with her flaws. I think it's something she needs to grow from, but I wouldn't say it's cute. It sucks to be that shy and it's been shown that her trait can easily go the opposite when she tried to be assertive. And even with all I said about disliking Rainbow, what's interesting is that she's the only one who's the most mentally healthy. Even when Discord got to her, her element didn't change her personality in such a drastic way considering she literally thought she was saving Cloudsdale. Her break down was relateable too, we've all felt fear or anxiety from performance, where as every other pony has serious issues, Pinkie Pie practically hallucinating in her state of severe depression and paranoia, AppleJack becoming sleep deprived and so stubborn she could of done some temporary harm, Fluttershy becoming out right mean to people while trying to assert herself, Rarity freaking out and being mean as well as a bit OCD about fashion and failing in the eyes of whom she finds important. And of course Twilight, who arguably had the worst break down. Causing turmoil and chaos just so she could please princess celestia. The order I would give of most mentally healthy to least is Rainbow Dash, Apple Jack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinky Pie and Twilight. 

It was really ironic that Twilight says all these ponies in this town are crazy, and she's actually the most damaged. Projective Identification on her part.

TL;DR: Rainbow has to relearn the same lesson over and over and it's constantly used as a plot device. All other ponies had serious breakdowns which challenged their own flaws too, but Rainbow Dash gets it over and over, it's like the growth she does get is never in her serious flaw and when she learns a lesson, next episode it's gone. Examples being Mysterious Mare Do Well - Lesson, don't be a show off. Got it. Enter Fall Weather Friends - Lesson, don't be a show off especially not when you're upsetting a friend. Ok got it. Enter Wonderbolts acadamey. Ok, it seems like the lesson from before stuck and she has some growth here, oh look, growth in Sleepless in Ponyville and May the best pet win! Awesome, she's working on her pride, admitting her soft side and being a good role model. But then oh crap, look at her behavior in Rainbow Falls, wow, that... that's really quite cruddy of her, ditching her friends for glory and personal goals. Ok, good, maybe she learned it at the end. But wait, selling out Fluttershy for a book? That's not even as important as wonderbolts to her, and she sells out her friend for it... what? Ok, very quick turn around about 30 seconds after realizing what she did, maybe she's getting it now? Ok, sure, the rainbow dash in EG may not be the some one, but she's even worse then the pony version, not caring if she ruined everything just so she could shred hard on the guitar and picking on Fluttershy again.
This is what bugs me and feels like it's a trend. I really hope that Trade Ya was the last of the mistakes like literally betraying her friends for her own selfish desires.

If I understood PrymeStriker right, this is essentially what they were saying too. Rainbow Dash does not learn the lesson and it becomes obnoxious. Every other pony gets it with a max of one to two episodes covering the same idea, Rainbow has had 4 thus far, not counting her character in EG all having to do with her arrogance and being a jerk to her friends or to others.