Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are the positive qualities of Rainbow Dash?

Princess Twilight

I'm wondering...why people love her? Everyone thinks she's cool, and I mean yeah she's alright..and she's cool sometimes, but most of the times, excuse my language, she's a bitch.

I'm a girl, and I know if I had a friend like her I would literally be like go away 200% of the time. She's so mean to Fluttershy in "Dragonshy" and she's rude to Rarity in "Suited for Success" and in the comics...don't even get me started.

I feel like more than half the time, all shes concerned about is herself, and her well being.

Everypony has their flaws in the show, but I can't get over why people love her the most..

This is just MY opinion, I don't hate Rainbow Dash. I like her character and I really like her episodes and...to be honest a few of my friends say I'm like her so I guess that's maybe why I don't like her as much.

I don't want people yelling at me or hating me on here because of this...

I just want to honestly know!

EDIT : I DO like RDash, she just isn't my favorite.

Sorry, new to forum and never saw the topic.

Edited by Starwisp
  • Brohoof 19

Hello!

You'll be surprised, when you notice how many people on the forums, don't actually like Rainbow dash that much. Why shouldn't people love her? She's worthy of it like every other pony, it just seems that most people can relate to her the most.

Plus she's really good looking tongue.png

Edited by Concord
  • Brohoof 16

Because She's a LESBIAN!
AND NAKED!

in my opinion it is her attitude. She is selfish and mainly cares for herself. But then again she's the legend. She's the one we all want to be in one way and not in another. She is a well known athlete who is detemind, no matter what you say, to acomplish her goals. And it is this, combined with her incredible loyalty that makes her so awsome.

Fluttershy is still best pony tho.

• Brohoof 5

Oh look, more threads where the RD haters are going to flock in throngs, and pull all the stops in making sure they get to voice why they despise Dash :'D We certainly haven't seen those before!

She can be cute, awesome and funny all in one, I like the whole tomboy thing, I love her voice, I love her sleek design, I think her element is one of the more interesting ones, I think rainbows are boss, she has a sensitive side that comes out occasionally, she has clear flaws that make her realistic, she Sonic Rainboomed and made her all her friends hit puberty get their cutie marks at the same time, so on and so forth ^^

She can be brash, but that's not a reason to label her a bitch and move on, IMO, like some people seem to do. But, to each their own. Not every personality is for everyone, and I get that. I also get that her overwhelming popularity turns people to dislike/hate her too (also just as much a shallow reason to hate something in full, but I digress).

• Brohoof 39

post-9453-0-77717500-1360968025_thumb.png

You're not alone, I didn't like Dashie in Seasons 1-2.

Then came season 3 with the Scootaloo episode as well as Wonderbolt Academy. She's getting better. :)

post-9453-0-84559100-1360976903.png

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 9

Rainbow Dash reminds me a lot of my little brother, actually. She's very blunt and just doesn't have a filter like others do. And she just loves to brag about her level of skill. She just strikes me as being very young and proud rather than outright malicious, I dunno.

• Brohoof 1

Why anyone like her more than Fluttershy is beyond me, I mean, I like everypony, but how could you possibly resist the ammount of d'aaaaw that she possesses? Just look at her!

1350507740293.jpg

• Brohoof 8

i honestly don't like rainbow Dash that much, she's actually my least favorite of the Mane 6. This is mostly because she's arrogant and overly-confident of herself, and it ends up getting herself and sometimes even others hurt.

• Brohoof 4

Rainbow Dash is not as well-liked as people give her credit for. She was my favourite up until about one year ago. She's a memorable character because of the rainbow mane. I've always been in love with the Sonic Rainboom. I also like her voice a lot. While not on my top 5 list, I have no hate for her.

Edited by Nagisa Misumi
  • Brohoof 1

Well, she's a cool character, and with most bronies being male it's natural that most of them would like the cool character most. That's at least the base of it I think, I'm sure there are other reasons though. She's not my favorite but I know that I like her coolness somewhat too. :P

• Brohoof 1

People can relate to Rainbow Dash. The reason she seems to be the most popular is because the people who relate to her act like her, and are loud and outwardly spoken about things they feel, so their voice is typically heard more often than others. It's basically an illusion.

I personally hate her. She's most relatable to the American culture (another reason she seems to be so popular and relatable). She is, again, loud, outspoken, and selfish. And don't even get all "amricnz r not salfish gtfo u h8r", because they are. Capitalism? Of course that'll end up with selfish people. Americans are always being selfish, asking for bigger and better things all the time and such. Perhaps this is just how all people are (probably), but I wouldn't know, because I haven't gone around the world enough to know. But anyway. Rainbow Dash = Selfish. It's true. Don't quote me and bring up things where she's shown unselfishness, because overall, she is still selfish, and the fact will stand, regardless.

So yeah. RD = Selfish = People = Relatable pone for most.

Edited by Rikka
  • Brohoof 3

Actually, that's a lie. While she is one of my least favorite ponies, I do understand why people like her. She's the tomboy, which is generally the fan favorite. So yea.

I, personally, don't like her because of how overpowered she is, but a lot of people also like that. Meh. I don't understand all the love she gets, while Rarity gets so little in comparison, but yea.

• Brohoof 1

Because she has that something that clicks with a lot more people? There's a lot of smaller things that people like about her such as design and voice and cuteness, but her character is one of the more relatable characters, with having more flaws than the other characters.

Hell, the biggest reason why I like her so much is that she has all of my negative traits, but also has the positive traits I want

Which is a problem I have with most people I have with people who dislike her, even when we give good reasons why she's a good character, they're to busy going "HUUURRRSHE'Z ABITCHTOOPOPULUREPISODESSUCKSNOCHARACTERDEVELOPMENTTRVIALTHINGSKSJDNSKJDNJK*foams at the mouth*".

Not saying all are like that, but that's how many I've meet are like

• Brohoof 3

To be honest, not even I now why myself likes her so much. She is one of my favorite ponies in the show, but I still don't know why. Maybe it's her laugh, maybe it's her flaws, maybe it her awesomeness, I don't know. All I do know is that every since the first the first episode I watched, I automatically loved her. She like one of those people that you are friends with, and you don't even remember how the two of you became friends, and now you just are. To me, it's kinda like that. I guess she just rubs off on people in the kinda way that they just love her no matter what.  :huh:

But, I have always liked her for her flaws. She has the kinda flaws that I have as well, so I love her because I can relate to her. Like one of them is when she get nervous before she performs because she thinks that she will mess up in front of everyone. I have that exact same fear, so I lov eher because I can relate to her in a kinda way possible. But that is just me, a lot of different people like her for different reasons, that's just my reason. :) 

• Brohoof 1

She may be brash/arrogant, and people may not like her, but since she represents the element of loyalty, you can probably guess that even though she might be a real $*#)@ sometimes, she'll still be loyal to her friends.

• Brohoof 1

whowhatwherehow...Rainbow Dash thread?  Let's see...she's a bitch.  And she's really fast.  That pretty much sums her up, right?

Ok, on a serious note: when I first started watching the show (between seasons 1 and 2) she instantly became my favorite of the Mane 6.  She's bold, confident, sleek, strong and fun-loving.  She's definitely the most "A type" personality among the most commonly recurring characters.  Her awesomeness would be tiresome by itself, but the writers avoided Mary Sue territory by giving her a nearly crippling need for approval (e.g., Sonic Rainboom, The Mysterious Mare Do Well).

Let me rephrase the question, Why wouldn't someone like Rainbow Dash?
Even thought I like RD, here are reasons why anybody wouldn't like RD:

1.She is ignorant.

2. She says she is a better then any of her friends.

3. Show off.

There are a little more, but I forgot them. Quote if you have any more reasons.

The thing I've noticed about Rainbow Dash is that she seems to be the most polarizing character in the show.  People either REALLY love her or REALLY hate her - she tends to be at the top or the bottom of people's "favorite ponies" lists, but not as often in the middle as others.  I think that's just a reflection of how much of an extroverted tomboy she is - some people really like that and some don't.

Dash was at the bottom of my favorite characters list for a while, but she's been moving up to the middle since she started maturing about halfway through Season 2.  She went from being deliberately obnoxious and self-centered to a better balance of self-confidence and sensitivity, culminating in "Sleepless in Ponyville" and "Wonderbolt Academy", where she showed quite a bit of maturity, IMO.

• Brohoof 2

Why do people like Twilight? Why do people like Fluttershy? Why do people like Rarity? Why do people like Pinkie Pie? Why do people like Applejack? Why do people like Rainbow dash? Why do people dislike or even hate some of these characters?

Well its really just what you like, some people like the shy personality of Fluttershy, some people hate it, some people like Pinkies crazy humor and random hyperness to try and make everypony happy, some people hate it. Some people like Rainbow dash and her sometimes overconfident personality aswell as the other aspects of her character, some people hate it.

Its really all what you like, not everyones going to like the same things, while I can relate very well to Fluttershy being shy myself, someone else may be more of a Pinkie Pie or a Rainbow Dash and can't relate to her at all, some may even find her annoying, I'm not going to diss them for dislike my favorite pony, because everyones entitled to their own opinions. And everyones going to have a different set of personalities they like in a character, or a different look, or a different voice, the list goes on and on.

Just because you find Rainbow Dash to be annoying doesn't mean everyone does, some people like that personality while some also don't like it, but thats ok because we're human and we're all different, its not like we're all robots programmed the same way to like the same things and do the same stuff. That'd be boring wouldn't it now?

Tl;dr everypony doesn't like, and dislike the same things.

• Brohoof 8

I don't like RD much either, welcome to the club! I think she's mean too, I can't stand arrogant people...I may joke about it but I hate people who are truly self-centered like she is. Yet, I value loyalty...but her loyalty is showcased in the least flattering way possible.

I used to think Rainbow Dash was a bit overrated, I never hated Rainbow Dash but didn't see at first why she was quite so popular but now I understand. Yes Rainbow Dash can be brash, arrogant, and can be a show off but she improved a great deal as a character in my opinion has grown the most of any of the mane 6 characters especially this season. It is because of that character growth that she became my 3rd favorite pony and as of a few days ago my 2nd favorite pony behind Applejack and Twilight who are tied for 1st.

In Sleepless in Ponyville we got to Rainbow Dash's soft side, that despite her gruff exterior and insecurities about her rep that she is a big softie. In Wonderbolt Academy she was willing to give up her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt to do the right thing and call out Lightning Dust for her reckless and irresponsible behavior. I like Rainbow Dash because she is willing to put in the hard work and sacrifice to pursue her dreams yet has not let her ambitions cloud her moral judgement and her loyalty to her principles and her friends even if she still gets a bit cocky sometimes.

• Brohoof 3

She's not always super nicey nice, I laughed out loud when Pinkie was upset after pestering Cranky and Rainbow went "yeah, he doesn't wanna be bothered by your over-the-top super hyper antics!" while rolling her eyes.

She has sass!

And her voice cracks are so cute.

• Brohoof 4

I think she's cool.  Without diving into the character development stuff, I like her character design.  It's colorful and unique.   Her cutie mark is pretty badass, to be honest.   Her voice is one of my favorites too.  It's original and unique.  

Now, for character development, her tomboyish and arrogant attitude is great.   She shows that not everyone can be perfect.  Yet, we can be good friends at the same time.  I can relate to her tomboyish attitude because, well, I'm a guy.  And then there's the loyalty part, which I love.  

In my opinion, that's why.  

• Brohoof 2

Let me rephrase the question, Why wouldn't someone like Rainbow Dash?

Even thought I like RD, here are reasons why anybody wouldn't like RD:

1.She is ignorant. 

2. She says she is a better then any of her friends.

3. Show off.

1. Which I don't mind. I like characters who aren't necessarily smart all the time.

2. But her actions show that she doesn't think it. 

3. Hiding a sympathetic need for validation and approval.

The thing is, I don't find Rainbow Dash very awesome. That title belongs very firmly in Applejack's territory. In fact, I think that's why I liked Rainbow Dash. She presents herself as the typical "awesome tough guy" character type, but on the inside, she's half snuggles and bunnies, half a terrified little filly afraid of being alone, and almost none of what she presents herself to be. 

I don't follow the reasoning of "I like Rainbow Dash in spite of her flaws". In spite of those qualities that make her feel human and interesting? I prescribe to a different idea; "I like Rainbow Dash because of her flaws". Of course, only having flaws makes a character unexciting and inspires apathy in the audience. And that is absolutely not true for Rainbow Dash. She is an incredibly loyal pony who, despite normally being very lazy, will stop at nothing to be there for her friends. She is willing to do what needs to be done, and is developing into a surprisingly responsible and mature authority figure.

The combination of her good traits and bad traits means that you have a pony who is held down by many flaws, which makes it all the sweeter when she does the right thing. I'm a huge fan of tropes like Earn Your Happy Ending. The more a character has to struggle, the more they shine when they succeed. Rainbow Dash shines.

• Brohoof 5

I would like to preface this by saying that Rainbow Dash is not nearly as popular as she would seem. Yes, she has loads of fans but she also has loads of people who can't stand her, as is evidenced by this thread and countless others.

Anyhow, I find her a very complex and nuanced character, with a lot going on beneath the surface. She is not even close to as confident or brash as she appears. In fact she hides quite a lot of insecurity underneath her attitude and can be downright sweet to her friends at times. Yes, she has oodles of flaws, but that isn't a sign of a bad or unlikable character. If anything her flaws make her understandable and real. Can we walk out our front door every morning and be utterly perfect and polite souls all day? Hats off to you if you can. I can't. I have my share of problems and issues that I have to grapple with daily, and so does Rainbow Dash, but Rainbow Dash takes these problems and overcomes them to do incredible things anyway. Furthermore, she is a character with a dream. She is chasing something wonderful, something that few people would even have the guts to dream of, something that I'm sure countless people have broken themselves trying to attain, and she knows just how hard it will be to continue chasing her dream but she does it anyway. That's amazing, and it inspires me to think that maybe I can do great things as well if I keep pushing at it.

She is also adorable, funny, and I would be honored to have her as a friend. If I were in trouble there's no one I'd rather have my back.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 5