Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are there more pro-Twilicorns than anti-Twilicorns?

Commander_PonyShep

I'm still mad at Hasbro and the writers' decision to turn Twilight into an alicorn princess. Twilight Sparkle had always been about studying magic, just as Pinkie is to parties, Rainbow Dash is to the Wonderbolts, Fluttershy is to animals, Rarity is to fashion, and Applejack is to farming. You take her love of studying away from Twilight, and with it her friends, and make her run an entire nation as princess of Equestria, and you're just jumping the shark.

But, what's worse than that, is me being heavily outnumbered by the vast majority of pro-Twilicorns out there. I've noticed that every time I complain about Princess Twilicorn, too many more people argue that they're okay with Twilight getting wings and a title, and that it should be permanent. I was hoping that there would be hundreds of other anti-Twilicorns out there who agree with me, and believe that the writers should change her back to a unicorn for the S4 premiere. Unfortunately, all I keep getting are pro-Twilicorns, and I deeply, deeply despise it.

So really, why are there more pro-Twilicorns than anti-Twilicorns? What's the appeal to what's supposed to be jumping the shark? Isn't that the equivalent of actually being okay with Shadow the Hedgehog wielding guns, Sonic mating with a human-girl, and Sonic turning into a werehog, even though all three were bad ideas marred by lousy execution?

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 3

It's actually a pretty even split. It just depends on where you go, and which side just happens to be more vocal there. Vocality is everything.

Then what explains all of those other fanboy controversies out there, like the aforementioned guns, bestiality, and werehog from the Sonic franchise? Or Mass Effect 3's terrible ending, Optimus Prime's death, and Hal Jordan becoming Parallax?

EDIT: And besides, I'm always going to be anti-Twilicorn, no matter how much other people try to persuade me in accepting Princess Twilicorn.

• Brohoof 2

You're always going to be anti-Twilicorn? Even though she's only spent three damn minutes as an alicorn? Even though you've not seen her status as an alicorn applied to any episodes?

Riddle me this: how do you know Twilicorn is bad when it's not even been put into practice? Why aren't you following life lessons from the show as any brony should do, one of them being to always hope for the best and maintain optimism?

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 30

OK, let's begin with your first logical fallacy.  You are declaring that the show has jumped the shark, and yet you also admit that most bronies are still quite optimistic about the show and on board with Alicorn Twilight; ergo, can you accurately conclude that the show has truly jumped the shark when most bronies haven't?  Heck, I haven't even seen most anti-Twilicorn bronies going so far as saying that the show has jumped the shark; most question the decision, especially for the character, but they're still pretty optimistic about where the show will go from here.

And oh noes, most bronies don't agree with you, whatever shall we do?!?!  Oh me oh my, what is the world coming to!!!  :mellow:

Dude, not trying to sound like an arse or anything, but seriously, grow up and be the bigger man here.  Yeah, most bronies don't seem to agree with you on Twilicorn.  So?!?!  People don't agree about stuff all the time!!!  Heck, I was kinda in the minority all season on so desperately wanting to see Derpy come back, but that didn't mean I spent the whole season b@tching and moaning about how nopony else cared; all I did was continue to voice my concerns about how I really wanted to see her return, even if that didn't seem particularly pressing to other bronies most of the time, and hey, that's fine, I get it, it was MY concern.  So yeah, if you don't like Twilicorn, OK, that's up to you; I think you should give it a chance first for next season, wait to see what Studio B does with it, but hey, if you're that firm in your loathing of it, whatever. :huh:  But seriously, can you honestly make the objective statement that you're 100% correct that it is an objective, undeniable truth that the show has jumped the shark when, by your own admission, most bronies are optimistic about Twilicorn?  I'm just saying man.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 10

Another thing - where did you get the idea that she's lost her friends and her love for studying? Didn't you pay attention to the episode? She's still going to be learning things from Princess Celestia, and the producers confirmed that Twilight will be staying in Ponyville - and furthermore, that the feel of the show would still be the same.

It seems that in your rush to bombard Twilicorn with hatred and non-acceptance you've forgotten the bright side.

• Brohoof 6

OK, let's begin with your first logical fallacy. You are declaring that the show has jumped the shark, and yet you also admit that most bronies are still quite optimistic about the show and on board with Alicorn Twilight; ergo, can you accurately conclude that the show has truly jumped the shark when most bronies haven't? Heck, I haven't even seen most anti-Twilicorn bronies going so far as saying that the show has jumped the shark; most question the decision, especially for the character, but they're still pretty optimistic about where the show will go from here.

My guess is that he finds it such an unbelievably horrid idea that he can't fathom any sane person liking it. I don't agree with that, but I think that there is a lot of room to screw this up. It should have been saved for the series finale.

• Brohoof 1

What's the appeal to what's supposed to be jumping the shark?

Jumping the shark? I don't think you're using that phrase correctly, friend. If the writers did this in a desperate attempt to keep viewers interested, then it would be jumping the shark. This is just Hasbro trying to sell a particular toy on a show that was created to sell toys.

If your issue is about Hasbro making the change to boost sales, then you've got a problem with the entire show. I'm just glad they went to such great lengths to incorporate her into the overarching plot, rather than dropping her on us out of nowhere.

• Brohoof 2

Another thing - where did you get the idea that she's lost her friends and her love for studying? Didn't you pay attention to the episode? She's still going to be learning things from Princess Celestia, and the producers confirmed that Twilight will be staying in Ponyville - and furthermore, that the feel of the show would still be the same.

It seems that in your rush to bombard Twilicorn with hatred and non-acceptance you've forgotten the bright side.

That's not all. The Mane Six had always consisted of two of each species, including two unicorns, two pegasi, and two earth ponies. By turning Twilight into an alicorn, did they also upset that natural balance by making Rarity the only unicorn of the group, while Pinkie and Rainbow still get to have Applejack and Fluttershy, respectively. Hell, the Cutie Mark Crusaders was multi-species, too, consisting of an earth pony, a pegasus, and a unicorn! What if someone were to turn Sweetie Belle into an alicorn, even though they're meant to be rare and special (and yes, I'm including Princess Cadence)?

And just so you know, I'm not taking what the writers said about Twilight remaining true to herself at face-value. Once Season Four airs, they might do the opposite of what they said, and make Twilight stay in Canterlot doing nothing but politics, while her friends are the ones who get to stay true to themselves. I just want to believe that the writers are going to correct that mistake by changing Twilight back into a unicorn, whether by means of resignation or self-sacrifice, but not when I'm forced to endure countless pro-Twilicorns wanting this to be a permanent change, even if it could potentially be badly handled!

• Brohoof 1

That hasn't been my experience, yes I have run into quite a few twilicorn supporters on here but I have also found quite a few people that are against it and a sizable minority that is neutral. I myself am very much against this because I feel it is far too soon in the story to justify such a change and am concerned that Twilight may be becoming too powerful too fast which puts her dangerously close to Mary Sue territory.

Despite my reservations and my extreme disappointment with the season finale being the worst episode of the entire series whether or not this show has truly jumped the shark is going to depend on how the season 4 premier is handled, if Hasbro backs off and lets the writers do their job than I think everything will be fine if not then Twilight's new name might as well be Mare E Sue.I think alot of people like the concept simply because they want to like it, they want to believe that it will work out which is understandable but as much as I want to optimistic I will not lie to myself.

That's not all. The Mane Six had always consisted of two of each species, including two unicorns, two pegasi, and two earth ponies. By turning Twilight into an alicorn, did they also upset that natural balance by making Rarity the only unicorn of the group, while Pinkie and Rainbow still get to have Applejack and Fluttershy, respectively. Hell, the Cutie Mark Crusaders was multi-species, too, consisting of an earth pony, a pegasus, and a unicorn! What if someone were to turn Sweetie Belle into a unicorn, even though they're meant to be rare and special (and yes, I'm including Princess Cadence)?

And just so you know, I'm not taking what the writers said about Twilight remaining true to herself at face-value. Once Season Four airs, they might do the opposite of what they said, and make Twilight stay in Canterlot doing nothing but politics, while her friends are the ones who get to stay true to themselves. I just want to believe that the writers are going to correct that mistake by changing Twilight back into a unicorn, whether by means of resignation or self-sacrifice, but not when I'm forced to endure countless pro-Twilicorns wanting this to be a permanent change, even if it could potentially be badly handled!

That there is the issue we have with your outlook. You're assuming the worst. Instead of considering that Twilicorn opens the opportunity for fresh episode ideas, that Twilight still remains an even member of the Mane 6, that Hasbro are going to continue doing what they have since 2010 and produce a fantastic show, you're far too eager to go "it could be badly handled!" and "Twilight will stay in Canterlot doing nothing but politics!" Yes, we don't know what will happen and it could be a possibility - but if you're looking to the future where either something good or something bad will happen, you're going to hope for something good.

• Brohoof 3

The answer is quite simple: Most of us aren't uptight enough about a cartoon to take to Internet communities with pitchforks and torches whenever our headcanon is shattered to bits.

• Brohoof 3

If your issue is about Hasbro making the change to boost sales, then you've got a problem with the entire show. I'm just glad they went to such great lengths to incorporate her into the overarching plot, rather than dropping her on us out of nowhere.

Uh no, most critics of twilicorn realize that the show was made to sell toys and don't care so long as the show retains the quality writing and story telling it has always had. And yes they did drop her on us our nowhere and that is precisely the problem, the season 3 finale was in a nutshell

Twilight screws up a spell, Twilight fixes it and the Celestia shows up out of nowhere at the end of the episode and says "hey Twilight you get to be an alicorn princess because you have friends and have been a great teachers pet." Insert a bazzillion songs and almost no dialogue, mix well and there you go.

That's not all. The Mane Six had always consisted of two of each species, including two unicorns, two pegasi, and two earth ponies. By turning Twilight into an alicorn, did they also upset that natural balance by making Rarity the only unicorn of the group, while Pinkie and Rainbow still get to have Applejack and Fluttershy, respectively. Hell, the Cutie Mark Crusaders was multi-species, too, consisting of an earth pony, a pegasus, and a unicorn! What if someone were to turn Sweetie Belle into an unicorn, even though they're meant to be rare and special (and yes, I'm including Princess Cadence)?

Oh no! If someone were to turn Sweetie Belle into a unicorn, I'm not sure what I'd do with myself. That might make Scootaloo my favorite unicorn.

mZFYBp1.jpg

• Brohoof 10

That's not all. The Mane Six had always consisted of two of each species, including two unicorns, two pegasi, and two earth ponies. By turning Twilight into an alicorn, did they also upset that natural balance by making Rarity the only unicorn of the group, while Pinkie and Rainbow still get to have Applejack and Fluttershy, respectively.

Twilight Sparkle is still a major in magic. She's the element of magic. Unicorns of all kinds have the ability to use magic. Especially Alicorns.

Twilight's character will not be changed because of the fact that she is now, essentially, a Unicorn and Pegasus mixed. Twilight will always be more interested in magic than flying.

Furthermore, Twilight becoming an Alicorn means her magical abilities are at their highest point. Basically meaning she can now use any spell.

Uh no, most critics of twilicorn realize that the show was made to sell toys and don't care so long as the show retains the quality writing and story telling it has always had. And yes they did drop her on us our nowhere and that is precisely the problem, the season 3 finale was in a nutshell Twilight screws up a spell, Twilight fixes it and the Celestia shows up out of nowhere at the end of the episode and says "hey Twilight you get to be an alicorn princess because you have friends and have been a great teachers pet." Insert a bazzillion songs and almost no dialogue, mix well and there you go.

No, they didn't drop it out of nowhere, they've been dropping hints about it since the season premiere. That whole two parter was a test for Twilight, remember? Plus this:

vlcsnap-2012-11-15-23h54m28s250.png

• Brohoof 4

There aren't pro and anti-Twilicorns. That's an oversimplification. There are a lot of bronies who feel differently about the season finale and have their own issues with it, Twilicorn being only one of them.

We don't need to divide the fandom over this. Acting like there are just two opposite sides to the issue creates an unpleasant environment for everyone.

• Brohoof 8

There is pretty much nothing here for me to say which hasn't already been said. And don't try to read into these comments to much. We are not trying to make you change your opinion. That is ultimately up to you to decide. We are trying to get you to look at things from a different angle. Learn to be optimistic. Give things a chance. Based on you attitude toward Twilight, I don't see you being very accepting of any kind of change. Not even the inevitable life changes. Jumping the shark and saying she is no longer studying, and is now in charge of an entire nation is just wrong. There is nothing to note that this has happened. She may be a princess, but she still has lots to learn, and I think her friends is a good way to help her with this new change. Which is why she will be still herself,  and why she is still in Ponyville.

You are "outnumbered" because many of us learned to be optimistic, or at leas remain neutral, and wait to see what season 4 holds. The first two episodes are going to have to do with the season 3 finale. Put the hate down for a moment, wait for season 4, and see what happens. If you still don't like Twilicorn, at least try to present a more logical reasoning as to why you dislike Twilicorn. So far I don't see much logic in your rants. They are more just, I hate Twilicorn, and I can't understand why anyone would be okay with this. We just are optimistic, waiting to see how things go with the season 4 premier. All this dislike stems from fear of change, which I wrote a long post about in another thread. Don't be so quick to jump on the hate bandwagon. Everything has to change, if they didn't, things would become stale. It's better to have an optimistic outlook than a negative one. That doesn't mean be oblivious to the negative, instead look past the negative. This is why I am such a happy guy. I see the negative, but I look past it for the hope of something better. If not, then oh well. That's life, this is how things happen.

All I can do is try to get you to look at things from a different angle, instead of being blinded by such disdain toward a change. You don't know anything about how this will play out. I don't know anything about how this will play out. Just keep an open mind and wait to see what happens.

• Brohoof 1

No, they didn't drop it out of nowhere, they've been dropping hints about it since the season premiere. That whole two parter was a test for Twilight, remember? Plus this:

Yes a test for the "next level of your training" which could have meant quite a few things other than alicorn princesshood with the most likely answer being learning dark magic. Twilight has already shown a slight aptitude for this but hasn't shown full mastery yet though with her recent promotion who knows? And yes it has hinted that she would become an alicorn eventually, but I didn't think eventually would mean the end of season 3.

• Brohoof 1

I don't HATE Alicorn Twilight but I'm not wowed by the idea. The fact that Twilight became a princess was not what hated about the finale it was just how bad the story was. I think i can grow to like the idea if it is permanent if the shows writers can make it interesting. As far has Hasbro, I -do- think that Hasbro had a hand in it because i don't really think that it was just the shows writers who planned for Twilight to be an Alicorn. Hasbro did the same thing with Cadence. Cadence when being developed was not intended to be an Alicorn. Lauren Faust intended for Celestia and Luna to be the only Alicorns. Hasbro requested Cadence be made an Alicorn for the Royal Canterlot wedding set. So to say that Hasbro (at least to a small degree) isn't directing the direction of the story to boost toy sales isn't entirely baseless. And I have more of a problem with that. Not the show's writers i think they do an awesome job.

• Brohoof 1

Jumping the shark? I don't think you're using that phrase correctly, friend. If the writers did this in a desperate attempt to keep viewers interested, then it would be jumping the shark. This is just Hasbro trying to sell a particular toy on a show that was created to sell toys.

Excellent point; the other reason that it can't really be labeled as "jumping the shark" at this point is because, as others have pointed out, we've had about 3 minutes of Twilicorn!  A marked decline HAS to follow the "jumping the shark" moment for the moment in question to be affirmed as the show "jumping the shark".

For example, Fonzy literally jumped the shark in Happy Days.  But, people didn't coin the phrase "jumping the shark" until afterwards, when it was clear that the show's quality steadily was declining, and they could mark the beginning as when Fonzy jumped the shark.  We can't say that about MLP yet, because Season 4 has yet to air!

• Brohoof 1

You know, if the S4 premiere is going to be a two-parter, I still hope it ends with Twilight sacrificing herself to save her friends, and in the process reverts back into a unicorn. The writers are perfectly aware of all that outrage, and I hope they're doing everything in their power to correct that mistake, namely by finding a way to return Twilight to a unicorn.

Also, the last time Hasbro listened to its audience regarding a mistake, it was with the Princess Celestia toy. Originally, the Celestia toys were pink, but then changed to white not only to reflect the show, but also because the fans demanded it. Derpy Hooves was also brought back for the S3 finale because the fans demanded her back. Likewise with Trixie and Discord; both were brought back due to popular demand, alongside Queen Chrysalis in the comics. If Hasbro and the writers can listen to fans regarding those things, then I hope they do likewise with changing Twilight back.

And no, it won't be cop-out if they pull off changing Twilight back well. All they have to do is set-up another save-the-world situation for the S4 premiere, as expected in any season premiere, and have it resolved by Twilight sacrificing her wings and massive magic to save her friends and the world. Plus, I'd rather a cop-out ending that returns everything to the way it was meant, than a change that could end up destroying the show.

And, I have to wonder. If they had no problem making Twilight a princess, why couldn't they turn Rainbow Dash into a Wonderbolt? Or turn Rarity into a famous fashion-designer in Canterlot? Or give the Cutie-Mark Crusaders their cutie-marks for once? How come only one character gets any character-development at all, but not the rest of the cast?

• Brohoof 1

And, I have to wonder. If they had no problem making Twilight a princess, why couldn't they turn Rainbow Dash into a Wonderbolt? Or turn Rarity into a famous fashion-designer in Canterlot? Or give the Cutie-Mark Crusaders their cutie-marks for once? How come only one character gets any character-development at all, but not the rest of the cast?

Umm... Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt and Rarity's well known in Canterlot because of her connections to Photo Finish and Fancy Pants.

I'll give you the CMC thing though. That will probably get old eventually. BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY.

post-9453-0-51381600-1361555207.png

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of fans fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. An hour of woes and shattered dreams when the age of Ponies comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we CRUSADE! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Fans of Equestria!

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 1

And you know what I'd rather be okay with than Princess Twilight? Seeing Twilight become a teacher in Celestia's magic-school. Or her becoming one of Celestia's Arch-Magi. Anything, so long as it's more true to Twilight's character than becoming a princess.

To those who think I'm afraid of change, I'm not saying that I am. All I'm saying is that life as a top-ranking magician or teacher would've suit Twilight more than becoming a princess, which I highly doubt either Twilight herself or any of her friends would actually want.