Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Let's evaluate character distribution on season3

Motion Spark

(edited)

Now that season 3 finally ended I have the feeling that many of you would agree that season3 was the worst season this far. One of the reasons were the lenght of it with only 13 episodes, half of the amount of the regular episodes. Also as the time pases by, we can't deny that we have become more critical about the show, still calling season 1 or 2 the best, before we joined the fandom.

I can't say that I disagree because I have to say the worst episodes of Friendship is Magic are within this season sadly.

But this is not of what I want to talk about, I want you guys to just discuss what was going through the minds of the producers, writers and Hasbro when they decided with what content they wanted to fill each episode and why. Since MLP is primarily focused on the characters before the storyline, it is no surprise to us to see that an entire episode is dedicated for a character, having said that, I felt like the amount of screentime used for the characters, except for Twilight of course (in a way), was very unbalanced and some of the episodes were easily forgetable or boring enough not to watch again and taking into consideration the lenght of the season, the negative impact in the viewer can be much bigger.

Here's a chart I prepared for everypony with the relevance of each character on each episode. (this is based on personal opinion, but I have the feeling that you guys will agree with me)

p1/ep2 - The Crystal Empire

FOCUS CHARACTER post-5888-0-41946800-1362355746.jpg

FEATURING post-5888-0-45330200-1362355767.jpgpost-5888-0-74484400-1362355814.png

ep3 - Too Many Pinkie Pies

FOCUS CHARACTER post-5888-0-85007200-1362355763.jpg

FEATURING post-5888-0-41946800-1362355746.jpgpost-5888-0-43966100-1362355760.pngpost-5888-0-36585500-1362355793.pngpost-5888-0-45330200-1362355767.jpg

ep4 - One Bad Apple

FOCUS CHARACTER post-5888-0-25836200-1362355798.png

FEATURING post-5888-0-36585500-1362355793.png

ep5 - Magic Duel

FEATURING post-5888-0-82651100-1362355771.jpgpost-5888-0-45330200-1362355767.jpgpost-5888-0-74484400-1362355814.png

ep6 - Sleepless in Ponyville

FOCUS CHARACTER post-5888-0-27343300-1362355804.jpgpost-5888-0-43966100-1362355760.png

FEATURING post-5888-0-25836200-1362355798.pngpost-5888-0-04434000-1362355755.pngpost-5888-0-36585500-1362355793.png

ep7 - Wonderbolts Academy

FOCUS CHARACTER post-5888-0-43966100-1362355760.png

FEATURING post-5888-0-85007200-1362355763.jpgpost-5888-0-45330200-1362355767.jpg

ep8 - Apple Family Reunion

FOCUS CHARACTER  post-5888-0-36585500-1362355793.png

ep9 - Spike at your Service

FOCUS CHARACTER post-5888-0-74484400-1362355814.png post-5888-0-36585500-1362355793.png

FEATURING post-5888-0-45330200-1362355767.jpg

ep10 - Keep Calm and Flutter On

FOCUS CHARACTER post-5888-0-82651100-1362355771.jpg

FEATURING post-5888-0-45330200-1362355767.jpg

ep11 - Just for Sidekicks

FOCUS CHARACTER post-5888-0-74484400-1362355814.png

FEATURING post-5888-0-25836200-1362355798.png

ep12 - Games Ponies Play

FOCUS CHARACTER post-5888-0-45330200-1362355767.jpg

FEATURING post-5888-0-41946800-1362355746.jpgpost-5888-0-43966100-1362355760.png

ep13 - Magical Mystery Cure

FEATURINGpost-5888-0-45330200-1362355767.jpg

So, let's imagine that we are the producers of the show, it's imperative that we must use 13 episodes only and it's also imperative that Twilight Sparkle has to become an alicorn princess at the end of the season. That's what we have so far. As producers, I ask you, what the hell did we smoke to distribute the characters in the way we did? Leaving the quality of the episodes aside, the distribution of each character on each episode was very bad executed and even unfair for other main characters *coughRaritycough*

here are my picks....

Spike had 2 episodes

We are low on episodes amount, and we have to make 2 episodes for Spike, how that even work? and on top of that they are not even memorable. From all the Spike's episodes that I have seen, these 2 are the worst, not saying they are bad, but Just for Sidekicks was the worst of them.

Fanservicing Applejack

The producers of the show listen to bronies, that's a fact. Sometimes a wonder if fanservicing is even a good thing. If you see my chart Applejack had plenty of time, action and lines throughout the season. That gives her so much importance and presence that when I went to see her episode I find her episode very boring and her song easily forgettable, because I have seen her doing cooler stuff on the other episodes.

Where is Rarity?

do I even have to explain this? Maybe said that Rarity had a lot of time in season 1 and 2, which I agree, but ignoring her completelly to give others the "opportunity". I think that's unfair.

Rainbow Dash?

If what I said about Rarity was true, then why Rainbow Dash didn't had a cut on her screentime if she was as prominent as Rarity on season 1 and 2? She had 2 leading episodes (she shared the leading role with Scootaloo in Sleepless in Ponyville) and also featured plenty of episodes, just like Applejack, she had a recurrent role in Games Ponies Play with Twilight. On one side Rainbow Dash was with the her drama when the Equestria games weren't in Cloudsdale and on the other side Twilight was also shown alone trying to make time for the inspector to see Cadence. 

Separating Rarity from the rest made the episode feel more of a mane 5 episode. It doesn't matter in the end, the episode was very bad.

Path of Twilight

Not all is bad. During this is season we actually did saw Twilight training hard since season 1 to be prepared for that "something" that Princess Celestia was always telling her about. Especially in the way she talked about Twilight "she'll be ready", "your destiny" and whatnot were key words that I enjoyed to listen because it can give you a sense of mistery and makes you wonder for what kind of thing will Twilight be ready? You can see her progress in her magical abilities and the coronation actually do makes sense at the end of the season, at least that's what I thought.

Mane6 union

Comparing season3 episodes with the older ones, we can see more episodes mane6 oriented. I like this mechanic because it's an excuse for them to say that Rarity was present we could see on a regular basis how all the 6 ponies interact with each other.

Sleepless in Ponyville issue

How do I dare to find an issue on this episode? :o you can calm down, there is no issue with this episode, in fact it's perfect from beginning to end. But having into consideration how short this season was, I think it would be better to make this episode wait until season 4, think about it, we had a cutie mark crusaders episode, and then another one (putting Scootaloo in the spotlight), we could have used that spot for other "urgent" stuff.

Pinkie Pie, stupid

This season I felt Pinkie Pie character to be used to just fill comedical spots and nothing else, unfortunatelly, to me, her character suffered because they made her look like an idiot that doesn't think straight. I said it in a thread before, that on previous seasons she was random and "crazy" but she was smart in her own way, and also delivers fun which was always nice.

With this I felt Pinkie's appearances to be annoying and easy forgettable, though she still delivers fun, but IMO Rarity delivers more fun than her.

Discord

in my opinion Discord doesn't have an impact on me like he has on other bronies, but I do acknowledge the popularity that he got since his first apparition in the return of Harmony. I always thought that he would be the villain of the season finale but I never thought that he would share an episode with Fluttershy and also be good, that was a nice touch. And a good thing for Fluttershy as well.

Twilight is ok

I don't know about you, but Twilight being the main character and all, I felt like they didn't shove her up my face. Her screentime was ok, she is the mane character and I felt like they didn't abuse of her.

so, were you satisfied with the character distribution on this season? was season3 the worst season this far? what do you think of all of it?

Edited by Sparkity
  • Brohoof 7

I read through all of this post, and maybe I'm jumping to defend my favourite pony too quickly, but I whole-heartedly disagree with that point about Pinkie. If you re-watch Too Many Pinkie Pies, she actually realises the importance of not going overboard with hyperactivity. She reflected on herself and she demonstrated self-belief in tough times. In other episodes she's worked hard to make sure she doesn't ever go close to the dark days of Too Many Pinkie Pies, the moment where her entire destiny (being an entertainer) was tested. The idea that she's been made to look like an "idiot" or that she "doesn't think straight" in Season 3 is a really unfounded thing to say.

• Brohoof 6

Season 2 is my personal favorite but I likes season 1 and 3 plenty. Too little rarity, too many spike episodes but still great episodes. Am I the only one that loved too many pinkies and thought pinkie pie was still awesome?

• Brohoof 3

I read through all of this post, and maybe I'm jumping to defend my favourite pony too quickly, but I whole-heartedly disagree with that point about Pinkie. If you re-watch Too Many Pinkie Pies, she actually realises the importance of not going overboard with hyperactivity. She reflected on herself and she demonstrated self-belief in tough times. In other episodes she's worked hard to make sure she doesn't ever go close to the dark days of Too Many Pinkie Pies, the moment where her entire destiny (being an entertainer) was tested. The idea that she's been made to look like an "idiot" or that she "doesn't think straight" in Season 3 is a really unfounded thing to say.

ugh, this is not about, my favorite pony this my favorite pony that, it's about character distribution, and it's my opinion. And I am not the only one that thinks that the producers idiotized Pinkie for the sake of comedic relief, some of her jokes were so bad that I forgot what she even do in that episode. Too many Pinkies was her episode after all, you can have your own picks, but these are mine.

• Brohoof 1

Two things: 

Completely agree with Pinkie now being stupider. She's no longer part of my absolute favorite ponies because of it.

One thing you didn't mention: Isn't Twilight kinda boring now? She used to be very plucky and such, now she's.... dull. Just me?

(edited)

ugh, this is not about, my favorite pony this my favorite pony that, it's about character distribution, and it's my opinion. And I am not the only one that thinks that the producers idiotized Pinkie for the sake of comedic relief, some of her jokes were so bad that I forgot what she even do in that episode. Too many Pinkies was her episode after all, you can have your own picks, but these are mine.

There's no need to be so defensive. I never intended to make it "favourite pony this and that" - and I still think that Pinkie was not at all diminished by the producers, "and I am not the only one that thinks that". And I'm very aware that it's your opinion, this is mine; it's why I said that I only disagree with it instead of just going "You're wrong." Plus I'm aware that finding her jokes funny is also down to opinion.

That aside, my only qualm about S3 distribution is the lack of Rarity. She's had her good moments, but like many in the fandom I did want to see her with an episode here. I would have relocated one of the two Spike episodes to Season 4 - speaking of which, one of the writers tweeted that Spike At Your Service was initially meant to be the Rarity episode, but an issue with script writing meant the editing afterwards to turn it into a Spike one. Even if S3 didn't end up as appealing for some people, the writers' initial aims were still of their interest.

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 2

There's no need to be so defensive. I never intended to make it "favourite pony this and that" - and I still think that Pinkie was not at all diminished by the producers, "and I am not the only one that thinks that". And I'm very aware that it's your opinion, this is mine; it's why I said that I only disagree with it instead of just going "You're wrong." Plus I'm aware that finding her jokes funny is also down to opinion.

I'm sorry I alway tend to look defensive, you have the right to disagree and tell me why you disagree, and I agree, Pinkie's jokes are up to people's opinions, some might like it some might not.

But if somepony says a bad joke doesn't necesarily needs to look stupid, on Pinkie's situation, she does look stupid, but again that's just my opinion.

That aside, my only qualm about S3 distribution is the lack of Rarity. She's had her good moments, but like many in the fandom I did want to see her with an episode here. I would have relocated one of the two Spike episodes to Season 4 - speaking of which, one of the writers tweeted that Spike At Your Service was initially meant to be the Rarity episode, but an issue with script writing meant the editing afterwards to turn it into a Spike one. Even if S3 didn't end up as appealing for some people, the writers' initial aims were still of their interest.

I agree with the lack of Rarity, but now that you said that, Spike at your service could be a potential Spike/Rarity episode, I wonder what really happened.

One thing you didn't mention: Isn't Twilight kinda boring now? She used to be very plucky and such, now she's.... dull. Just me?

well Twilight has always been "boring" not like it's not interesting to watch her, it's because she is smart and a bookworm and that stuff, what I did notice is that she is way more self-sufficient and wiser than she was before. Maybe that's why you see her as "boring" 

• Brohoof 2

well Twilight has always been "boring" not like it's not interesting to watch her, it's because she is smart and a bookworm and that stuff, what I did notice is that she is way more self-sufficient and wiser than she was before. Maybe that's why you see her as "boring" 

Well, no. She used to make sarcastic remarks and such. Now she doesn't. Being wiser is no excuse for removing such an interesting trait, IMO.

• Brohoof 2

Fanservicing Applejack

That's all this season needed to make me like it :D. I noticed seeing her a bit more often, and I was gladly surprised to see so.

Now, one thing I kinda wanted was more Rares. She is super hot, after all, and I like her a huge ton as well (Not nearly as big as AJ, though :P).

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, no. She used to make sarcastic remarks and such. Now she doesn't. Being wiser is no excuse for removing such an interesting trait, IMO.

I don't remember these sarcastic remarks? can you help me?  :huh:

That's all this season needed to make me like it :D. I noticed seeing her a bit more often, and I was gladly surprised to see so.

Now, one thing I kinda wanted was more Rares. She is super hot, after all, and I like her a huge ton as well (Not nearly as big as AJ, though :P).

well akimBrony, why don't you ask Hasbro for a spin-off for Applejack only? ;)

Edited by Sparkity
  • Brohoof 1

I don't remember these sarcastic remarks? can you help me?  :huh:

well akimBrony, why don't you ask Hasbro for a spin-off for Applejack only? ;)

I don't remember anything specifically. Most of the episodes of season 1. Like Feeling Pinkie Keen had quite a few, if I remember correctly.

• Brohoof 1

Applejack: I loved all the attention Applejack got but then again who dosen't like having their pony get some love? And it was long overdue I might add sure Applejack has been in a lot of episode but in a lot of those she has been a bit overshadowed but she made a very strong showing this season and I loved every minute of it.

Twilight: Okay with all the hype surrounding Twilight becoming an alicorn you would think there would be more focus on her consider the massive buildup such a change requires so I am not too happy about that but if that wasn't a factor her screentime would otherwise be reasonable. One good thing that has come out of that though is it made me realize just how much I love Twilight, I didn't think anypony other than Luna would tie with Applejack for best pony.

Spike: The way his character has been written is so inconsistent it has really gotten ridiculous. I get that Spike has his doofus side to him but he also has moments of maturity and has in past episodes been a voice of reason but you wouldn't know that from his recent episodes though.

Pinkie Pie: I loved Too Many Pinkie Pies but other than that episode Pinkie Pie hasn't really done too much that was notable this season.

Rainbow Dash: Thanks to Wonderbolt Academy and Sleepless in Ponyville Rainbow Dash became my third and then my second favorite pony.

Discord: I would have preferred to see him be evil for just a bit longer but I think his reform present some interesting story opportunities.

Rarity: Agreed completely Rarity was swept under the rug this season which was a real shame.

• Brohoof 5

Didn't like the character distribution in season 3 at all, especially the lack of Rarity, the three Crystal Empire episodes had a lot of her but that's about it, her getting no episode dedicated to her was very disappointing to me. Pinkie didn't get much either, and I agree that she was more of a joke character but at least she was actually funny(imo). It was basically the season of Spike, Applejack, and Twilight, which isn't so bad but the distribution should have been a lot better, the best semblence of this we got was in Spike at Your Service which had the most even character distribution in the entire series imo, but they can't all be like that I guess. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

I don't remember anything specifically. Most of the episodes of season 1. Like Feeling Pinkie Keen had quite a few, if I remember correctly.

what I knew about Twilight is that she was very mechanical because the book said so, she did things because the book taught her to do it instead just doing it for pure instinct. Now she does takes her opinions on her own, without consulting much books, could be that?

Spike: The way his character has been written is so inconsistent it has really gotten ridiculous. I get that Spike has his doofus side to him but he also has moments of maturity and has in past episodes been a voice of reason but you wouldn't know that from his recent episodes though.

I super agree with Spike, his dragon code seems very ridiculous to me and also can cause a lot of contradiction in other future episodes by him not being allowed to be saved by anyone or else he would be their servant forever. hmmm :huh: 

Didn't like the character distribution in season 3 at all, especially the lack of Rarity, the three Crystal Empire episodes had a lot of her but that's about it, her getting no episode dedicated to her was very disappointing to me. Pinkie didn't get much either, and I agree that she was more of a joke character but at least she was actually funny(imo). It was basically the season of Spike, Applejack, and Twilight, which isn't so bad but the distribution should have been a lot better, the best semblence of this we got was in Spike at Your Service which had the most even character distribution in the entire series imo, but they can't all be like that I guess. :huh:

In the Crystal Empire Rarity had a lot of screentime and relevant lines and appearances, it's so contradictory how she's been slowly fading away on each episode, on the other side I didn't see much of Fluttershy either, and Pinkie, but maybe that was because her character was only used for jokes instead for something relevant.

But like I said, I have the feeling that they tried to fix the lack of certain pony, by making more episoes that features all the ponies, of course some with more important roles than others.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

I pretty much agree with this, except for the part about Twilight being boring, I thought she was great as always.

Besides, her being focused on her studies and everything make her 10x more adorkable. ^_^

Also I thought a Rarity episode  was coming. Sadly we got nothing. :c

Edited by Wubsie
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

As far as I can tell, everyone agrees that Rarity got the shaft in season 3(which sucks because all of her episodes are among the best)

but as for the rest:

Aside from Twilight, this season was pretty heavy on AJ and Rainbow, which I honestly don't mind(I'm not saying that to be biased)

- Many people were upset with how little focus AJ got in season 2, especially with that even in her own focus episodes she was over shadowed by other characters(Derpy and Pinkie in Last Round Up, the other Apple Family Members in SSCS6K) earning her the annoying "background pony" moinker, plus aside from her friendship letter in SSCS6K, she never really did anything memorable in season 2. I think this was remedied in season 3 with her focus episode giving AJ more responsibility, and more badass scenes, plus she got a song, which was something many fans have been clamoring for.

- In another thread I said that most of the Rainbow Dash focus felt like damage control after more or less unfavorable reception she got after season 2, and I still stand by what I said because lets face it, whether you agree or not, many fans were unhappy with Rainbow Dash, with her earning nicknames such as "Rainbow Douche"(that hurt to type). And like Applejack I felt that season 3 remedied those problems, despite a rocky start in the season premire

Pinkie Pie - Is it bad that I enjoyed Pinkie more in season 3 than I did in 2? If there any pony I was upset with in season 2, it was Pinkie. She just felt more insensitve and did a lot of things that bugged me while being a karma Houdini, on top of being random and stupid for no apparent reason(ironically, the only Pinkie I liked in season 2 was her most unpopular episode in that season...Baby Cakes). And while Pinkie was still random and stupid in some ways(what the hell was up with her in One Bad Apple?), I thought that Pinkie Pie was more caring for her friends in season 3, which was something I missed from season 1(seriously, I think Wonderbolt Academy is turning me into a PinkieDash fan)

Fluttershy - If anything season 3 has over 2 as far as Fluttershy goes, it was having her focus episodes involving something other than her being, well shy and afraid(even though both of her episodes in season 2 were great)

I'm kinda indifferent on Twilight, I feel like they've gotten as far as they could with her, but at the same time, I think there was more for them to do before Twilicorn

Personally, I think two Spike episodes in a short season at the expense of a Rarity episodes is a bit ridiculous, and considering what Spike at Your Service was originally supposed to be a Rarity episode with her being too cruel to Spike. I think many people would've happier had they just scrapped it completely and try to do something different for Rarity instead of having another mediocre Spike episode.

I think the CMC had more equal distribution compared to the mane 6+Spike, with them giving another episode that introduces a new member + the long awaited Scootaloo episode

And as far as quality goes, I don't think this season is as bad as many fans say, but the short count does hurt it

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Two things: 

Completely agree with Pinkie now being stupider. She's no longer part of my absolute favorite ponies because of it.

Not really she was just not given any screentime when she was relaxing. She was always put into a tense situation. She was still acting like a frantic prep when Celestia called her up for a test on Crystal Empire taking notes, quills, back up quills, extra parchment etc.

Rarity has been snubbed and I disagree about her having more time on season 1 and 2. She was balanced out more so on those seasons, she hardly made an appearance in this one. I also disagree that Games Ponies Play was a mane six episode it was pandering to Rainbow Dash more than ever.

If the season was going to be short, one CMC episode should of been enough. They're not the main focus of the show, just a sideshow. But I'm guessing Hasbro is now going to put them up front and center to have little girls relate to them (honestly I can't understand this whole must relate to character thing at all).

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 2

In my opinion season 3 was the best season.

The no Rarity episode thing didn't bother me.  She had great supporting lines in the episodes.  We'll get some next season.

I agree there were 1 too many spike episodes, but "Just for sidekicks" was a great episodes IMO.

The short episode count didn't bother me

The amount of Twilight episodes was needed.

Applejack wasn't fan serviced.  An applejack episode like this was inevitable.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say that Season 3 was the worst but, it had it's flaws. Like the Spike episodes, and less time for Rarity. No I'm not going to mention Twilicorn, but I will say that Twilight has been dull lately.

So, I'll try to not include it in.. but if I do this what I will say.

shit-just-got-real.jpg

Rarity has been snubbed and I disagree about her having more time on season 1 and 2. She was balanced out more so on those seasons, she hardly made an appearance in this one.

hmmm yeah, I agree Rarity was balanced in comparison with the others (except Applejack :( )

I also disagree that Games Ponies Play was a mane six episode it was pandering to Rainbow Dash more than ever.

it is a mane6 episode, at first I thought that it would be more focused on Rarity, in fact Rarity was the focus in the beginning because she took the job of making the official headress for the ceremony, but then the episode was more focused on Rainbow Dash's trauma of the games in Cloudsdale, and on Twilight as well. The all were there, they all interacted but some characters just had more relevance that others.

If the season was going to be short, one CMC episode should of been enough. They're not the main focus of the show, just a sideshow. But I'm guessing Hasbro is now going to put them up front and center to have little girls relate to them (honestly I can't understand this whole must relate to character thing at all).

agreed.

No I'm not going to mention Twilicorn, but I will say that Twilight has been dull lately.

as much as I want to debate Twilicorn with you, this is not the thread for that *suspicious stare*

Applejack wasn't fan serviced.  An applejack episode like this was inevitable.

OMG it's so obvious, why you couldn't see it, this season had so much Applejack it became suspicious and on top of that she had a solo song, don't you think that it's a coincidence?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Season 3 was full of Rainbow Dash and Applejack. I try not to let my bias cloud my view here... BUT COME ON IT'S FULL OF THE TWO BEST PONIES HOW CAN IT NOT BE AMAZING? The only episode that was wholly worthless and scrapable in my opinion was Games Ponies Play, which could have easily been removed to make way for a two-part finale. Now, I personally would've removed Magic Duel in lieu of a Rarity episode, but I feel like a lot of bronies would disagree with me on that one. 

I definitely disagree that the two spike episodes were his worst. Well... okay, I see your point with Spike At Your Service, but that was a fabulous episode for the Mane 6 and I still liked it a lot more than Dragon Quest. But the ending of Just For Sidekicks is so heartwarming! And I loved AJ's episode, so yeah. It was my favorite episode she had, actually. Full of all the Applejack traits I wuv about her. In my top 3 episodes of all time.

What's all this about Rarity getting a lot of screentime in the first two seasons? She has only had THREE episodes that could be said to be wholly Rarity focused, although she shared about double that with other ponies. I never got the impression that she ever got much screentime, which is a shame.

I found Pinkie to be more enjoyable than usual in the two episodes where she mattered (Too Many Pinkie Pies and Wonderbolts Academy) due to her concern for her friends. She didn't have any annoying roles like she did in seasons past *cough cough* LUNA ECLIPSED AND THE LAST ROUNDUP *cough cough*. Fluttershy was the same sort of way, but her episodes in season 2 were REALLY good, so I still maintain that that was her best season. 

Despite me not really liking Twilight this season (nothing to do with Twilicorn, by the way, which I liked) and getting almost no Rarity, I thought overall that Season 3 was the best one in the show.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 2

My biggest problem with season 3 was the 2 spike episodes. I didnt watch Spike at your service all the way through and Just for side kicks was a pointless filler episode, although I am happy we got to see Tank again. Most people would have been happier if Spike at your service had been a Rarity episode and Just for side kicks had been used to make the finale into a 2 parter. But never mind someone somewhere thought spike needed 2 episodes and unfortunately that is what we got. Here is to hoping season 4 has better character distribution and preferably no spike episodes.  

(edited)

The character distribution was not great, but that's mostly due to the lack of Rarity. Was Spike At Your Service originally supposed to be Rarity and Spike, just Rarity, or Rarity and AJ? I'd like a clarification on that, because if it was meant to be Spike and Rarity, then Applejack is lucky she got all the screen time that she did this season with having two episodes of focus as opposed to just one.

Twilight had plenty of focus. The Crystal Empire episodes were focused heavily on her, Magic Duel was a big episode for her, and the finale was all hers as well. Twilight isn't ponying up the spotlight like it felt she was in the first season. It's understandable, because that season was focused on her learning about friendship. Newer seasons cooled off on her a little bit, but she still feels like the main pony.

Applejack was in dire need of spotlight. All the screen time she got this season was well warranted, and she did well in every way. I was definitely satisfied with her throughout the whole season.

Rainbow Dash got ample screen time. One episode where she's the primary focus, and two where she's in an important supporting role. I don't think Sleepless in Ponyville was any pony's episode but Scootaloo's. Dash just happened to play an important role.

Pinkie Pie got plenty of focus considering how heavily she was featured in both of the prior seasons.

Fluttershy only had one episode, and wasn't very important in anything but Keep Calm and Flutter On, but the first two seasons were very generous with her.

Rarity got zip, but she stole the show in her supporting roles. We know the writers had their hearts in the right place and wanted to make a Rarity episode. I'm sure S4 will make up for it.

Spike got a lot more than he really needed for such a short season, but he's as main of a main character as you can get after the six ponies, so I wouldn't say it was wasted.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders had plenty of screen time. One Bad Apple and Sleepless in Ponyville, plus Just For Sidekicks. These three are never deprived.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 3

The character distribution was not great, but that's mostly due to the lack of Rarity. Was Spike At Your Service originally supposed to be Rarity and Spike, just Rarity, or Rarity and AJ? I'd like a clarification on that, because if it was meant to be Spike and Rarity, then Applejack is lucky she got all the screen time that she did this season with having two episodes of focus as opposed to just one.

They said at Unicon, that Spike at Your Service was supposed to be a Rarity and Spike episode, but thet changed it to Applejack instead if Rarity because they though Rarity was too cruel

(edited)

They said at Unicon, that Spike at Your Service was supposed to be a Rarity and Spike episode, but thet changed it to Applejack instead if Rarity because they though Rarity was too cruel

That's what I thought. Just needed to be sure. Thanks.

In that case, Applejack was pretty lucky she got two episodes of focus. I for one loved Spike At Your Service and am glad AJ was part of the main focus, but I still think Rarity needed her episode too.

A shame the writers struggle to even make Rarity likable though. >.<

Edited by Sugar Cube