• Search

Register now to remove this ad.

Will we ever know the whole Applejack story?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 pinkiefan1287

pinkiefan1287

Changeling

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:51 AM

I always thought that Applejacks parents traveled around a lot. They would travel to all of the different apple farms and just see how things are going. They returned home, AJ's mom is pregnant with Applebloom and stay for some time. At this point Big Mac and AJ both have cutie marks. AB is born soon and they stay around the farm for a couple of mouths and then have to leave again to check out the other farms. Later on they would just die from a storm or falling off a mountain, or just something like that.

So that was my idea why they weren't around at all. They had a job as head of the Apple family. I never did think they were dead. 

#22 Sterling Crimson

Sterling Crimson

Pony

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

Personally, the two shooting stars that were shown as Applejack looked out the window already shows that the two have either passed away. Shooting stars in TV shows often represent a character(s) that is/are so closely connected to the character watching the show that it provides a nostalgic feeling for them. Honestly, those hints show that the producers believe the older audiences should realize this already and that they probably wouldn't divulge on the details because the younger audiences don't need to know that yet. Yes you can reference death being canon by the funeral in "Hearts and Hooves Day", but I don't think the younger audience would actually notice that unless they're extremely observant.

#23 EarthbendingProdigy

EarthbendingProdigy

Applejack Rules

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hmph...frankly, I don't think Applejack will break down into tears after remembering a smidgen of them or something. She's...what, in her twenties now? At least ten years have passed since her parents died. She could cope. She is not a weakling, and I don't like it very much when she's always represented in fanfics as a pony who couldn't handle it after a long time. What's really the sad part of it, at least for me, is not her parents' death, nor what Applejack felt after they did, but how that affected Applejack as a character, as a whole.

It has been nearly 15 years since my Grandma died (she was only 64) and I still to this day have the occasional moment where I do break down, this dosen't make me a weakling and Applejack having an occasional moment where she does this over her parents wouldn't make her a weakling either. You are right though that much of Applejacks work ethic and maturity is of course due to this and it is one of the main things I like about her as a character that much of what motivates her is a desire to honor her parents memory. When I see Applebloom I often see what Applejack might have been like had her parents not died as I think Applebloom was most likely to young to remember them.

I don't think they will ever tell the whole story in the show because childrens show seem very reluctant to deal with death.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy, 13 March 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#24 Ulrik Raben

Ulrik Raben

Bird

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

I hope that Season four will have more flashbacks of both Applejack's and Apple Bloom's pasts.

And also a return to Manehattan.

#25 Zygen

Zygen

The Zygen One

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Well I think theres just parts of Applejack's story that are left implied, because they're to dark for the shows rating.

Applejacks parents are dead in the present of the show. I assume that either AJ's parents where dead in that scene, and Applebloom was just to young to come out and watch her sister leave or something, or that her parents where alive and Applebloom wasn't born.

I think that she basically just moved there because she didn't enjoy her apple bucking word on the farm and such, she wanted to be a fancy Manehattan pony. But she eventually realized that it wasn't what she thought it would be, and she missed her family and moved back, immediately getting to work of course, especially after finding out it was her talent.

Maybe its possible it'll be touched on a bit in S4, but I'm not sure how much, some of its a bit darker for the age rating, so I'm not so sure it'll happen, its kinda the same way I feel about Scootaloo being an orphan(Or atleast I feel its implied she is. thats kinda a headcannon, but It feels pretty implied to me).

Some subjects probably won't be touched on in the show though because of the darkness of the overall theme I guess, thats one of the things with the rating of the show afterall.

#26 ~Chaotic Fireball~

~Chaotic Fireball~

The Soarin'-Obsessed Chocoholic

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

I think that AJ's family were travelling apple sellers, as I've heard somewhere...

and they probably came back to visit once or twice during AJ's fillyhood, and at that time AppleBloom was born? I think she really is Aj's sister, since they look very alike as well.

#27 Derpular

Derpular

Parasprite

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

As for the topic of where Apple Bloom was during Applejack's flashback, well, since AJ was just a little filly at that point in time, Apple Bloom was probably a very young foal. It's easily possible that she could have been inside, napping in her crib or something like that. Of course, it's also possible that she wasn't born yet.

#28 TwilizzleFoShizzle

TwilizzleFoShizzle

Butterfly

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

there is a chance that the CMC just might get their cutie marks.

Cool, why don't ed, edd and eddy get a jawbreaker too, and why doesn't Azeroth just start living happily ever after with no more warchiefs, alliance vs horde, or anything like that. Also, why not just let rainbow become a wonderbolt, twilight assume control over all of equestria, and rarity become extremely famous and move to canterlot permanently. Totally none of these would ruin the continuity of the show :D

#29 Mudkip

Mudkip

Parasprite

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

I would rather prefer they keep it a myster, like pyro, or the Legend of Zelda story line. It adds a little suspence to keep you intrested and also adds more to Applejack's characterization.

#30 Wingnut

Wingnut

The Excellence of Execution

• Moderators

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

I would rather prefer they keep it a myster, like pyro, or the Legend of Zelda story line. It adds a little suspence to keep you intrested and also adds more to Applejack's characterization.

I'm not asking for a thorough timeline.  There are a few ommisions and other things about the Applejack story that seem out of whack.  A more complete telling of this story is probably too mature for a TV Y cartoon.  That’s why I’m hoping either the comic or the upcoming movie will shed some additional light on this. 

Does Applejack still cry over her deceased parents? Possibly, but I don't think so. She tries hard to keep her emotions in check and has been doing it for a long time. But she still has moments of reflection like the one in Apple Family Reunion.  Her fleeting expression of grief there says she still loves them and misses them dearly. 

Has anybody had an “Omigosh that’s Applejack!” moment when watching another program?  Well, I have finally identified who I think is Applejack’s soul twin.  Her name is Eleanor and she hails from the 1980s Chipmunks series.

EDIT:  Most of what I said below this line isn't germane to this discussion so I moved it to a blog.  The last thing I want to do is derail my own thread.  tongue.png   If anybody wants to read my complete comparison between Applejack and Eleanor, please go here: 

http://mlpforums.com...r-the-chipette/

Edited by Wingnut, 14 March 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#31 Derpular

Derpular

Parasprite

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

My personal headcanon, which randomly developed after reading this thread, is that Applejack's parents died when she was in Manehattan. As there don't seem to be phones or anything of the sort in Equestria, she didn't find out until she got back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users