Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Swearing in Class

Stary Dreams

I don't cuss, if ever in public. But, there are times where the words just accidentally slip through my mouth as I just widen my eyes at what I just said. And the sad thing about this is that they can hear me, like even if they are at the other end of the classroom (not shouting.) It is like, yeah, I speak and half of the time, no one really knows what I say (I don't like speaking in a loud voice, I believe it makes people sound obnoxious and annoying,) but, the minute I utter that single mishap, BAM! Even the teacher heard me, heck, even the people that are doing their own work or engaged in heavy discussion heard me. 

So cussing is rare for me and very, very, embarrassing and humiliating for me.  

Yea, when I was in shop class we use to cuss all the time, the teacher really didn't care to much, although he had to pretend he cared because he was a teacher. ^_^

We're allowed to swear as long as it isn't directed at anyone or used in an exclamatory manner. If it's someone said something completely wrong and you said "That's bullshit, here is the correct answer..." then you'd be fine. If you just up and called someone something offensive then you'd get in minor trouble.

Do it all the time and most of my teachers don't care, although one of them makes you do pushups if you swear so I avoid doing it in her class. lol

I had a teacher last year that would yell at his students to get their ass to class.

People in my town, cuss so much in High School, however, one thing I did which was a mistake was when I got the highest score in my entire grade on a state test and yelled, "BINGO MOTHERFUCKER" out loud.  Once I said that, people were just rolling on the floor laughing b/c the principal was in the class, but let it go b/c of my excitement, :lol:

Speaking as a pre-service teacher here, I think there's a time and a place for swearing, and in class is nether the time nor the place.

That said, I am Australian, so my idea of what constitutes swearing is probably a little more... lenient than other countries. (Hell is not a swear word. Damn barely qualifies.) And I doubt I'd ever outright punish a student for it, unless they were particularly foul mouthed or they were swearing directly at me. If you're doing group work and every second sentence out of your mouth contains a profanity I might send you to work on your own until you can control your language. If you're generally well mannered however, and accidentally let something slip out? A raised eyebrow is probably about the worst you can expect. Do it to often and I may pull you aside and talk to you about it.

In regular conversation I curse like a sailor, so if I can learn to reign it in, so can my students!

(Though if you run over your foot with a timpani or slam your fingers in the piano, you're welcome to swear as much as you like. Those things f*****g hurt.)

People in my town, cuss so much in High School, however, one thing I did which was a mistake was when I got the highest score in my entire grade on a state test and yelled, "BINGO MOTHERFUCKER" out loud.  Once I said that, people were just rolling on the floor laughing b/c the principal was in the class, but let it go b/c of my excitement,  :lol:

Yeah see, if you're generally a good student that's exactly the kind of thing I'd probably let slide. (If only because I'd be way too busy trying not to laugh myself silly.)

Edited by Kaydreamer

I once whispered "well, f*ck me in the face" because I got a C on a test I thought I did good on and my teacher said "I don't think that'll help you get your grade up, Mr. Rivera."

• Brohoof 1

well being Australian i do swear but only when i'm talking to myself or someones pissed me off really bad and i don't want to use a threat but when i'm talking normally the closest i come to swearing is God dammit, you douche, damn, son of a *random words* or even Bloody hell *insert name* when i was starting out in High school i would swear a lot while talking such as F***ing, son of a S***bag, C**t and etc

(If you take some examples i have listed as offensive send me a PM telling me the word you found offensive and i'll change it)

I swear all day every day. It's become a habit. I don't like using swearing hatefully (but I do sometimes when I'm angry) but using it casually is just something I do. Some teachers care, while others don't. I've gotten reprimanded for it by the teachers who do care sometimes, but I never get in any serious trouble for it.

In all honesty, it would probably be good to tone my swearing down, but it's one of the things that helps me release stress.

I'm Irish, so curse words generally pass without even a blink from most people. In high school, once we reached about 16 or so, it was pretty relaxed - even teachers would curse at times.

I love swearing, although I only do it when its an appropriate reaction to a situation (or if i want to use a curse to enhance a story/point) Curse words have this great cathartic release, and can make things either funnier or more intense.

I think there's been a couple times where a curse word accidentally slipped in class, but I've never had a teacher actually call me out on it.

Cursing is one of the things i actually listed on the "Things that should be socially acceptable" topic.

IMO People are too easily offended by words,  words by themselves are a dumb thing to be offended by.

Edited by crazitaco

I swear almost every day in school during break time and talking to my friends. I have a teacher that lets us use mild swears in her class though :3.

As of now, I'm learning Latin on the Internet to increase my swearing dictionary.

Edited by DDV