Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls Tickets go on sale

Sir.Flutter Hooves

Hello everybrony,

So, everypony know about the upcoming spin off called Equestria Girls correct? Well, tickets just popped up here:http://showtimes.usatoday.com/movie.aspx?SiteId=1&movie_id=161350.00000

So, is this Equestria Girls an upcoming movie? Or a children's play? It kina gives me relief, not seeing how tickets can be sold for a tv show.

So, what do you think? Tell me in the comments below.

/)

• Brohoof 1

prU8sCH.png

Nah not very likely.

I have no clue. Maybe Equestria Girls is just a movie after all since it's not shown on The Hub's schedule thing.

I'm still not that positive about Eq Girls though. But I guess I'll have to wait and see.

• Brohoof 2

With all honesty, i don't like seeing the mane 6 as humans.

It kinda ruins the magic feeling for me. *don't judge me*

I wouldn't pay to see it, but we all know it will be on YouTube till Hasbro forcefully takes it down.

But i shouldn't contradict something i don't know anything about. It might be good.

I'd honestly prefer it to be a movie than a TV show.

I would guess it would be kinda like a ''What If'' scenario if the mane 6 got turned into humans or got sent to another world. But that's what i'm thinking!

As for a play? Blah.

Edited by KToadstool
  • Brohoof 3

With all honesty, i don't like seeing the mane 6 as humans.   It kinda ruins the magic feeling for me. *don't judge me* I wouldn't pay to see it, but we all know it will be on YouTube till Hasbro forcefully takes it down. But i shouldn't contradict something i don't know anything about. It might be good.   I'd honestly prefer it to be a movie than a TV show. I would guess it would be kinda like a ''What If'' scenario if the mane 6 got turned into humans or got sent to another world. But that's what i'm thinking!

YES.

This is all true. The Mane 6 as humans is the dumbest idea yet. Doesn't Hasbro know that MY LITTLE PONY should be about PONY???

Well, I'll save my rant for another post, but I would be so much happier if this turned out to be a one-time thing rather than a reoccurring show. All I hope for is that if EG does become a show, that it will be completely separate from the far superior original.

• Brohoof 5

Maybe they're going to do showings in select theatres.  Possibly pre-release screenings/premieres or something? I think a lot of straight-to-DVD movies have premieres in actual movie theatres. 

As far as I can tell, the movie will most likely be a TV movie anyway, so I doubt you'll have to pay to watch it regardless. 

An Equestria Girls stage production would be quite interesting. It would definitely work much better than an actual MLP stage production. Sure, it would probably be very weird, but less weird than massive horse costumes prancing around a stage. 

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 2

Did anyone see this? http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/04/equestria-girls-airing-on-15th-of-june.html#idc-container

It might be happening after all.

Anyway, a while ago when I first heard of all this craziness, I was skeptic, until I said "Ah, the heck with it. It's not like it's going to ruin the MLP IP or anything." Then I read Hasbro's intentions, and I was even more okay with it. Overall, I'm not really bothered by this. In fact, I kind of wanna check it out. But if it's actually going to appear in theatres, then nope.avi.

• Brohoof 2

A movie? Well then, for those who can't be open-minded, you'll be delighted to know movies can fade into obscurity twice as fast as shows can. Me, this is an interesting development.

• Brohoof 4

Somehow the concept seems to feel more appropriate as a one-off movie than as a whole new series, so that works for me. While the idea and art still seems a bit odd, I'll be definitely checking this one out. Bet something erases their memories at the end of it to keep them from playing havoc with the actual show.

UPDATE: According to this EQD blurb, it comes out on June 15th

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/04/equestria-girls-airing-on-15th-of-june.html?m=1

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 2

Lemme throw a long-shot, but possible, theory out here right now.  First, I'll start by saying based on this information that a movie is the most likely possibility.  That said, however, here's my theory.

What if it's a show?  Like, not an animated show, I mean a live show.  I don't know exactly how that'd play out, but here's why I think it could very well be a show.  Aside from two very different animated images, we haven't seen any, and I mean ANY other promo art, and they're already selling tickets?  Even "The Dark Knight Rises" was 95% completed after 2 years of development before they started selling tickets (and trust me, I know, I followed that movie's development like a hawk)!  Now granted, I know that every big budget media project has a different path of development, production, and marketing, but still, if this were an actual animated movie or television show event (the latter being unlikely given the fact that they're selling tickets), the idea of it being a staged show makes a lot of sense to me.  It would certainly explain why these two images...

img-1390870-1-Equestria_Girls_February_1

img-1390870-2-Equestria_Girls_with_Logo_

...look so different from each other.  Rather than being signs of how a movie is going to be animated, they could instead be promotional images for what's going to be a live performance from actual stage actors.  After all, it frequently is the case that stage performances are advertised with radically different promotional imagery because when it comes to making a drawn promotional image for a live performance, there is no set standard, at least in drawn imagery.  For example, take a look at these two different promotions for "The Lion King" on Broadway:

img-1390870-3-Lion_King_Broadway_TreeofL

img-1390870-4-The-Lion-King-Musical-Succ

See, not radically different, but different enough to be noticeable.  Now granted, this could (1) be me just ranting some crazy theory and (2) be me hoping that there is no animated version of whatever the devil this is, but I still don't think it's too far fetched of an idea.  Humanizing the ponies with live actors would be a far less polarizing way to humanize them than animating them as humans would be.  It would also explain why the animated images have been kinda lackluster thus far, in that promotional imagery for live performances doesn't always look the best when it's drawn, since it's not what the actual performers end up looking like onstage.  Also, a stage performance is even more forgettable than a movie project, especially if it were directed at the intended audience of MLP rather than the average brony demographic, which I believe a stage performance would be.  Finally, although more forgettable than a movie, Hasbro could actually still cash in just as much or more even from an ongoing stage performance, depending on how long it ran, than a movie, and at the same time avoid polarizing its audience with a constantly changing show by instead performing again and again the same show with the same one-off plot, involving somehow the Mane 6, performed by live actors (and possibly integrated with animation for the ponified segments) entering the human world.  Do I think this would be good?  Not really, it sounds like something that only the younger audience would enjoy.  BUT, I do think it's the best possible outcome and end result of this project at the moment, and with tickets now on sale, it's a definite possibility.

Apologies for the length of this post, but I did have to list enough points to defend an argument as radical and out there as this one, especially with so little concrete evidence to defend it.

EDIT: Well buck me, should've gone to the link first and seen that the link was for "movie tickets".  *sigh* Disregard everything else I just said everypony, looks like it is indeed going to be a movie, which is still a far better outcome than a TV show.  Still don't know if I'll be seeing it myself, but if it gets positive feedback, I'll probably check it out.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

All I know is that MLP FIM and Equestria Girls are completely different , but personally I cannot wait to see what this show is going to be like, it might be really good, or it could be really bad. But a movie, I would never of guessed :)

What I think makes no sense is the fact that they're just going to make an actual movie about the Mane 6 as humans. I mean, WHY a movie???

If they want people to actually go see it, they should have made a TV show FIRST. And then if it had fans, then they should make the movie. But not just take a totally different idea and make it into a bucking movie. If they were to make the movie, it should be FiM. Meaning the actual characters the actual way that they are. Meaning as ponies.

This is what I'm wondering: why not make an FiM movie? I'm just saying that from the perspective of a fan who would see that movie. That already has a built in fanbase that reaches several demographics, and it can increase toy sales by association and bring attention to the show.

My guess is that if the ticket thing is legit, then it'll be like the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special, which will be broadcast on TV and will show in some theaters.

• Brohoof 2

Well, ok it's a movie. Can I at least know what the thing will be about? So I can get a good idea what its about? I'm just saying. We don't really know what it's about except that its humanized. I'm still hoping it's not girly. If it fails, they definately owe us an FiM movie lol.

I would much rather it be a movie. At least then I only have to experience it once.

A staged play would be kinda weird, and I don't think many little girls would go and see it. In fact, I think the crowd would consist mainly f bronies.

Somehow I doubt this is actually an in-theatres movie.  I mean, I've seen crazier stuff come out in theatres will little advertising... but still.  I'm guessing it is still a Direct-to-DVD kind-of thing that will show on the Hub at some point too.

It looks like "Digiplex Destinations" might have secured rights to show the movie in some of their locations, but that doesn't mean this is a full on theatrical release.

From their mission statement:

Our Mission Statement
Digital Cinema Destinations Corp. is dedicated to transforming movie theaters into digital entertainment centers. DCDC provides consumers with uniquely satisfying experiences, combining the full promise of digital technology with engaging, dynamic content that far transcends traditional movies. Beyond more “passive” theatergoing, DCDC allows its customers to actively engage in live and lively events. Its applicability and appeal are as unlimited as the number of these events held worldwide and the customer segments who enjoy them.

They show a ton of "non-movie" content, including live events, etc.

Also, if you go to their website (http://movienewsletters.net/websites/digiplex/index.asp), the movie on it is actually located under "Alternate Programs --> Family" and not under their theatrical "Movies" section.  Now the rest of the movies on that page are theatrical releases, but they are all older movies that are not currently in theatres and are just bring reshown for families.

This is what I'm wondering: why not make an FiM movie? I'm just saying that from the perspective of a fan who would see that movie. That already has a built in fanbase that reaches several demographics, and it can increase toy sales by association and bring attention to the show.

After the 1986 film, I bet no one ever thought another My Little Pony theatrical-release movie could be feasible. I'm sure Hasbro and all interested parties currently see everything trending towards a legitimate business case for one, though - even if they're still a long way off from pulling the trigger.

But this series seems to be pretty linear in terms of the story arc, which means a movie would probably follow continuity re: what's going on in the shows to at least some extent. That means careful writing and planning with a film in mind...and, of course, working on a movie really taxes a staff that has to get a show out, too. (Suggested solution: pry Lauren Faust away from her current projects and put her in charge of the film.) ;)

If it gets made, I think midnight screenings should have a 5-minute special adult fan intro with the Mane 6 talking about the fandom via interviews in their dressing rooms. And Rarity's should be a total sty with pizza boxes everywhere. 

• Brohoof 1

Okay I have been gone for a bit so what have I missed?

*sees what's going on*

Oh

Well okay then

A movie it is

While I am a bit curious as to how this will turn out I am confused (is this a theratical release? Or what is going on).

Anyways I'm one of the few that is curious. The way they have been promoting it on equestria daily with their small bits of info, they have something that they apperenlty want us to see.

So ya will see it

Hate it or like it only time will tell.

Even if it is a theatrical release it doesn't matter to me since it will no doubt be U.S only, Ill just have to wait a few days for it to pop up on the pirate bay and not pay for it since I have no other option. Bare it in mind you still cant get mlp season 1 on dvd here in the uk so I dont really fancy waiting 2 or 3 years for something that may end up sucking.

I wouldn't mind if it was a theatrical release, as I would probably pay to see the film as I'm not a big fan of the art of the torrent.

But as for a play, meh, we all saw what happened when they tried to do My Little Pony: Live, we don't really want to go through that horror again.

• Brohoof 1