Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight's "love interest"

Blue Moon

86 users have voted

1. 1. Would do you think about Twilight's Love Interest?

• Love it!
    • Like it
    • Neutral
    • Don't like it
    • Absolutely hate it.
  2. 2. Do you think the new character is a love interest? (Notice the word "think")

• Yes
    • No, he's Shining Armor
    • No, he is just a new friend who happens to be a boy.
    • No, other (Please specify)

At first I thought her love interest was supposed to be Soarin, partly because of his hair, and the lightening bolt on his t-shirt. However, I'm not so sure anymore, because it just doesn't make sense to me... He's probably just some random new guy... 

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2013-05-13 at 4.45.27 PM.png

Either way, I wasn't very happy about seeing a potential love interest...

I feel like Twilight is too young to worry about crap like that. I understand that hormonal teenagers are raging, and that it's inevitable to happen in high school, but I feel like it's unnecessary.

One of the things I love about MLP:FiM is the lack of focus on romance (besides Spike's crush on Rarity, and Cadence + Shining Armor) ...That's just my opinion though... I don't really want the mane 6 to ever have boyfriends... or girlfriends... *looks at Rainbow Dash* img-1461482-1-dry.png 

Call me crazy, but I'm preeeeeetty sure that's Shining Armor, her brother. The voice sounds the same, they both have blue eyes and blue hair and they both have a blue shield as a cutie mark and to be honest, I don't think they're giving her a love interest. I think he's going to be the one who helps her so much in this world. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, most of you have seen the trailer for Equestria Girls and already decided your opinions on it. But I want to know what you guys think of what looks like Twilight's love interest. Post what you think below.

Hang on, hang on, hang on!!!  How the heck has everypony missed this?!?!  OK, well, here's what I noticed in the trailer and already posted about in another thread:

To everypony worrying about Twilight getting a boyfriend, I don't think you really have to worry about that.  That dude's hair-color scheme closely matched Shining Armor's, so he might actually be Shining Armor's human equivalent (although again, since it's not really Shining, I don't know what that would make Twilight's and his relationship).

323560__safe_twilight-sparkle_shining-ar

Again, this isn't for certain, but the color scheme is AWFULLY similar.

• Brohoof 1

Hang on, hang on, hang on!!!  How the heck has everypony missed this?!?!  OK, well, here's what I noticed in the trailer and already posted about in another thread:

To everypony worrying about Twilight getting a boyfriend, I don't think you really have to worry about that.  That dude's hair-color scheme closely matched Shining Armor's, so he might actually be Shining Armor's human equivalent (although again, since it's not really Shining, I don't know what that would make Twilight's and his relationship).

img-1461843-1-323560__safe_twilight-spar

Again, this isn't for certain, but the color scheme is AWFULLY similar.

Actually, it isn't as close as it could be. Rarity, who has the same coat colour as SA, is shown as much whiter than that in humanized form. I'm starting to think this *isn't* SA.

• Brohoof 4

I actually kinda like it. Granted I think that there is a chance that they could pull it off terribly, but I don't see anything wrong with hinting at the possibility of a love interest.

Besides, we don't even KNOW if he is really a love interest or just a guy.

Also, Twilight is seen with her friends much more often in the trailer than she is seen with the guy. If there is a little bit of romance, it definitely will not be the center of attention. If anything, it'll be on the side.

I think that its amazing that Twilight does have a "love" interest. I don't know if its gonna fit in with the equestria girls thing. I think that it might actually work. 

HERE COMES THE DRAMA!!!

I BET THAT IF SHE FALLS FOR THIS GUY, SHE'S GONNA BRING HIM BACK TO EQUESTRIA AND THE BALANCE OF WHATNOT WILL BE MESSED UP AND THEY'LL HAVE TO MAKE A SEQUEL! Sorry 'bout the yelling. I'm just a lil' bit overly excited :3 lol I also think that if there's the rest of the mane 6 in the human world, then there must've been another Twilight and they traded >:( okay, not nearly as probable...

In regards as to the 'boy' here is the M. Knight Shamylyiamananan twist;

Twilight discovers what he really is - The 'boy' is really...duh duh duuhhhh....

BIG MACINTOSH

• Brohoof 1

I'm not gonna get worried about this at all.
I voted "Love it" just to mess with the haters who hate before that have anything to hate about.

This is a case of. "So what?" The show is marketed to girls. Crushing on a guy is perfectly normal.
The main entertainment I've had these last few months is to watch the exploding heads over Twilicorn and EQ Girls. Life is far to short to get upset over these things. The writers have treated us and the characters well these last few seasons.

Take a cue from the Dr Strangelove subtitle. How I stopped worrying and learned to love Equestria Girls.

I'm a bit skeptical on the love interest thing, not just because it goes against the premise of FiM, but because it just doesn't make sense. Why would she be suddenly attracted to these anthro things? If I was a dog for a day I don't think I'd start liking dogs romantically.

Speaking of dogs, I might actually be more worried about Spike being a dog. In a world of discolored anorexic flying high-schoolers, why can't there be a dragon?

• Brohoof 1

Mind you, there's no guarantee he's an actual 'love interest'. Given that he sounds like Shining Armour (dunno if it's the same voice actor or not, not enough in the clip to be sure), there's a good chance she'll latch on to him as a brother figure instead.

You know, I just assumed he *was* a human Shining Armor.  Frankly, it didn't even occur to me that he'd be a love interest.  has any of this "love interest" theory actually been confirmed?

You know, I just assumed he *was* a human Shining Armor.  Frankly, it didn't even occur to me that he'd be a love interest.  has any of this "love interest" theory actually been confirmed?

Nah, it's just the current popular theory. Based on the 'girl falls at the feet of a guy' clip which evokes a couple of hundred bad high-school sitcom scenes. It's so cliché that everyone is making the assumption.

That's the problem with setting this at a high-school. High school melodrama has been done to death, especially for anyone who survived the 90's, which had an absolute *glut* of high-school sitcoms, dramedies, and whatnot. It makes it tricky. However, given that the writers are all old enough to know better, I hope they do something other than the obvious.

• Brohoof 2

The Love Interest only appeared like twice, and the biggest interaction they have is Twilight hugging him in a way that didn't look too romantic (although it could be) My verdict: we simply don't have enough information on who this "Brad" is for me to make a judgement.

Also, the scene where Twilight tried to eat an apple like a horse made me realize that Equestria Girls might have some intelligent writing behind it. So there's a chance that whatever happens with the love interest, it might not be horrible.

• Brohoof 1

I kinda feel like folks may be over-reacting a bit.  We're shown a male, and a female hugs him, therefore they are love interests?  That kind of logic may be something we've come to expect from shows we've seen in the past, but I like to think we're dealing with writers who have a bit more respect for the audience than that.  More importantly, however, blue eyes and spiky blue hair kind of screams "Shining Armor" to me.  Chances are just as high (if not higher), that we're seeing a "big brother" figure, rather than a "love interest" figure, especially considering Twilight is going back to Equestria at the end of this film, what with needing to do season 4 and all. :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm skeptical on this romance mostly because there isn't enough to go on. Who's to say Twilight doesn't meet a new friends who happens to be a boy. Hopefully they release another trailer in a week and I can analyze the crap out of that one, too.

• Brohoof 1

Generic boyfriend #2765

How predictable.

I'm not saying this character is bad, I'm just saying that the concept of a love interest in a high school film is as cliche as you can get.

That said we don't know what this character is like.

As long as he is not a cliche perfect guy type or that one guy who always does the right thing, then I'm good.

(he need to be more 3-dimensional)

• Brohoof 1

I kind of like the idea of it possibly being Shining Armor, but I'm unsure whether it is him from my own comparisons.

I just had a rather interesting thought. You know how Luna and Celestia rule over Equestria together and Shining Armor and Cadence rule over the Crystal Empire? Well, Twilight is a princess now which means she may be given a character for her and, well you know. This is where he comes in.

Didn't read through the rest of the pages so I don't know if someone else said this, but I have another twist to this theory. Twilight rules together with her enemy in the movie, she learns a lesson and what not. Her name is escaping me, but I think they could take this route. Seems pretty black and white if she is just twilight's enemy, which would be a bad value to teach. Would be interesting if they took this route because it would add a new main character to the show as well. Just my theory.

Btw unlike most, I still haven't taken a stance on EQG and I don't plan to until after it is out. I really don't get all this drama over something that hasn't been seen yet. Calm down people.

• Brohoof 2

I actually kind of like your theory. It would be pretty interesting. But it seems a bit too similar to (fake) Cadence actually being a villain, Chrysalis, and I don't know if the writers want to do something like that again. But there are also quite a few differences between the two meaning that it is possible.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. But I don't know, maybe it could tie into the show and have the guy be involved with Chysalis? Though, to be honest, I doubt she'll be coming back in some way and, really, I imagine the guy would be designed quite similar to her if that was the case. So probably not that.

So maybe he's just a completely normal guy in a slice-of-life episode ending with a love-related moral. Hopefully one that won't be absolutely terrible.

I just hope that if he is a love interest that he isn't what the movie is going to be all about.  I don't think it will, but who knows.  The reason I watch MLP the way I do is because they aren't focused on and that the episodes can focus on other morals. 

I don't know what to think about the writers transferring him to MLP if they do, but right now I'm hoping for a one shot.

• Brohoof 1

The entire trailer leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Seriously, everything about it screams lazy high school cliche. 

That trailer (Especially the part about the love interest) has pretty much sucked out all optimism I had about this movie/show.

Awesome animation bro, the one where Rainbow Dash flies through and pulls off a sonic rainboom, then up come the letters ELJORDO

• Brohoof 1

Although there is no actual proof that there will be a love interest, I'm still worried..... A LOT!

I can only hope and pray that this isn't true. It will just end up like another high school cliche. I don't know whats going through Hasbro's mind recently..... I wonder. Recently Hasbro is screwing the show a bit, here is a list of the things that Hasbro screwed over:

-Season 3, no more friendship letters to the princess at the end of each episode.

-season 3, worst villain ever!, even Gak had more screen time than King Sombra.

-season 3, uneven amount of episodes (some people don't mind but i'm a freak when it comes to keeping things symmetrical)

- About halfway through season 2 the mane 6 have uneven amount of scree time.

-The elements of harmony have been forgotten, how could you Hasbro? 

And Then! THIS HAPPENS!.... Twilight and a human? Hasbro, where did we go wrong?.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Looks like their being set up to be romantically involved, and I don't see why people think he's Shining armor, they look nothing alike, the manestyle and coloration are completely different. I'm neutral to the whole thing, I don't know if I'm okay with her being set up with someone or not.

Generic boyfriend #2765
How predictable.
I'm not saying this character is bad, I'm just saying that the concept of a love interest in a high school film is as cliche as you can get.
That said we don't know what this character is like.
As long as he is not a cliche perfect guy type or that one guy who always does the right thing, then I'm good.
(he need to be more 3-dimensional)

Ya, I'm getting a massive cliche' vibe from this guy, but I agree that we don't know enough to make any judgements just yet.

Edited by Mr. Jaguar
  • Brohoof 1

Looks like their being set up to be romantically involved, and I don't see why people think he's Shining armor, they look nothing alike, the manestyle and coloration are completely different. I'm neutral to the whole thing, I don't know if I'm okay with her being set up with someone or not.

I agree. I keep seeing lots of threads on other forums, on pictures on Derpibooru that keep trying to say this despite the fact that Equestria Girls characters basically have the same mane style as their pony forms as well as their fur colour being the skin colour. Oh well. 

• Brohoof 1

Ya, I'm getting a massive cliche' vibe from this guy, but I agree that we don't know enough to make any judgements just yet.

It's the voice that is triggering the Shining Armour bit. I think it's the same voice actor doing the same 'Dude!' accent that he uses for Shining Armour. At least, that's what it *sounds* like in the limited amount that we can hear.

• Brohoof 1

It's the voice that is triggering the Shining Armour bit. I think it's the same voice actor doing the same 'Dude!' accent that he uses for Shining Armour. At least, that's what it *sounds* like in the limited amount that we can hear.

Ya, I agree, when I listened to him in the trailer, the voice sounded similar, but it's most definitely not him. That, and I highly doubt hasbro will do an incest love story in a kids tv show.