Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How does one become an alicorn?

Forlong

I'll get the meme over with right now:

34961798.jpg

There!  Now no pony else has to post that.

Anyways, what upsets me about Magical Mystery Cure is the fact that Twilight becoming an Alicorn is not explained at all.  Little Miss All Questions suddenly sprouts wings and isn't the least bit interested in how or why?  All right, let's brush the plot holes asside and theorize on how this works.

I can see three possibilities:

Genetics

The Alicorn gene arose as a result of cross-breeding in the three tribes.  The gene, however, is recessive and needs a magical trigger to activate.

Understanding

This is what is implied to trigger the transformation, so it might be a factor even if it isn't the main factor.  Understanding friendship or love will somehow trigger the transformation (see how an explaination would have been helpful?).

Destiny

That word was thrown around a lot in that episode.  Perhaps Twilight was always destined to become an Alicorn.  Let's remember that Celestia took her on as a student because of her magical powers.  Maybe there was a prophecy concerning Twilight...

I think it's a mix between destiny and understanding.  What about everypony else?  What do you think?

• Brohoof 4

I think your argument sounds valid. I think I've read somewhere about how Cadence became an alicorn(don't remember where so don't ask) and in that it turns out that she was a Pegasus before she became a princess. I don't remember much from it , but I do remember that she learned the true meaning of love(similar to Twilight's understanding of friendship) and then transformed into a alicorn.

I think this story had something to do with Hasbro(a book or something) so I think it's pretty solid, but I might be wrong about that... But it would fit if it was true, wouldn't it?

They might explain this in the next season too...

I really don't like the idea that it's genetics or destiny, for thematic reasons. The "understanding" route would seem like it would produce lots more alicorns than we've got right now. Is Twilight really the most understanding-est pony for bloody generations? Especially considering that the field in which she accomplished this was one she was barely even aware of before the show started.

Oh, and there's also that theory that Celestia turned Twilight into an alicorn. This, again, runs into the question of how so many generations could pass before somebody worthy enough for transformation (by Celestia's standards) showed up.

I personally favor the view that the Elements did it. They've been gone for a thousand years, so no alicorns there. The number of Bearers is very limited. They operate according to fairly vague rules and can't be obviously gamed the way genetics, benediction, or even understanding can.

• Brohoof 3

I really don't like the idea that it's genetics or destiny, for thematic reasons. The "understanding" route would seem like it would produce lots more alicorns than we've got right now. Is Twilight really the most understanding-est pony for bloody generations? Especially considering that the field in which she accomplished this was one she was barely even aware of before the show started.

Oh, and there's also that theory that Celestia turned Twilight into an alicorn. This, again, runs into the question of how so many generations could pass before somebody worthy enough for transformation (by Celestia's standards) showed up.

I personally favor the view that the Elements did it. They've been gone for a thousand years, so no alicorns there. The number of Bearers is very limited. They operate according to fairly vague rules and can't be obviously gamed the way genetics, benediction, or even understanding can.

Interesting theory I say...

But you forget Cadence, she haven't have any access to the elements and yet she is there.

The idea that Celestia turned both Twilight AND Cadence into Alicorns would fit though...

@@The Swedish Brony, Cadence's tranformation was mentioned in the book "Twilight Sparkle and the Chrystal Heart Spell". She was sent to a metaphysical-whatever-place, just like Twilight, and encountered Celestia and then she became an Alicorn, too. Since it is considered to be someway canon, it seems plausible that Celestia at least takes influence in the process. I, for myself, would like the idea of understanding most, but it seems that there is really a block to that.

Celestia set the path for Twilight. She was destinied to be a princess, because Celestia made it possible. There has to be a reason for it; or there will be a reason for it. But since the writers appeared like they had no idea how they shall explain the whole thing, they now have to come up with something that neither jumps the shark nor breaks the show's premise or willing suspension of disbelief.

And in the book, Twilight actually made a friendship-mistake, what means that she doesn't have a higher understanding of it that is actually that high, or higher than that of her friends. At least I hope so. Because the opposite would... hop the shark.

• Brohoof 1

Interesting theory I say...

But you forget Cadence, she haven't have any access to the elements and yet she is there.

The idea that Celestia turned both Twilight AND Cadence into Alicorns would fit though...

Oh, right. I should've mentioned that my head-canon has it that Cadance was born a winged unicorn. So I haven't allowed for any sort of ascension on her part. She's basically a mutant.

Of course, this conflicts with the Crystal Heart story, which I haven't read or reconciled anything with.

• 3 weeks later...

I  can not resist the urge to say this... MAGIC!!! lol but to be serious I think that in order to become a alicorn you...

One have to be a Unicorn (or born a alicorn)

Two get to the dimension twilight goes to

Three have to have there destiny align with there cutie mark

interesting note what the alicorns repusent

Celesta: Day

Luna: Night

Cadence: Love

Twilight: Frendship

• Brohoof 1

I  can not resist the urge to say this... MAGIC!!! lol but to be serious I think that in order to become a alicorn you...

One have to be a Unicorn (or born a alicorn)

Two get to the dimension twilight goes to

Three have to have there destiny align with there cutie mark

interesting note what the alicorns repusent

Celesta: Day

Luna: Night

Cadence: Love

Twilight: Frendship

Cadence was originally a pegasus.  Also, in one of her recent QandAs, Laruen Faust said that in her book, even an Earth Pony could become an Alicorn.

I think to become an alicorn, you have to ascend from your abilities and being able to learn lessons from your mistakes. When you advance your abilities and skills then learning lessons, you would be able to ascend to become an alicorn.

I  can not resist the urge to say this... MAGIC!!!

You have to do it like this.

'Inventing' new magic by finishing an old spell seemed to be Celestia's icing on the cake. The cake being Twilight's many adventures with her friends in which she showed leadership, as well as many, many other desirable traits, as well as a general high-understanding and control over magic. I think understanding, in addition to natural talent that you were born with are two keys to becoming an alicorn. Keep in mind, we don't know if there's a difference between alicorn and princess. Can one be an alicorn without being royalty? We don't know yet.

Thus, I feel like, as far as just the alicorn concept goes, one must have the intellectual prowess and capability to be a powerful and wise individual with a vast understanding over magic. Especially for ponies not born into alicorn families. I imagine, on top of all that, one must have the leadership experience and social understanding to be a princess. Alicorn and princess may or may not be the same thing, but since alicorn is a species and princess is a title, there's got to be some differences in how one becomes one or the other.

• Brohoof 1

See, I don't think that Celestia turned Twilight into an alicorn.  She may have aided in the process, but this was Twilight's journey and it was her own understanding of friendship that transformed her.

I'm guessing that Cadance got turned into an Alicorn because Celestia probably already knew she was destined to rule The Crystal Empire. Her cutie mark is the crystal heart after all. Then again I haven't read The Crystal Heart Spell book so I'm just guessing.

I'm guessing that both Twi and Cadance possess knowledge that helped them become an alicorn. Cadance has the power to spread love everywhere, thus having the magic of love at her side, which helped defeat Queen Chrysalis.

Twilight has the magic of friendship. So it's like both of them have a special type of magic that makes them unique from any other pony, enabling them to become alicorns.

• Brohoof 1

I'm guessing that Cadance got turned into an Alicorn because Celestia probably already knew she was destined to rule The Crystal Empire. Her cutie mark is the crystal heart after all. Then again I haven't read The Crystal Heart Spell book so I'm just guessing.

I'm guessing that both Twi and Cadance possess knowledge that helped them become an alicorn. Cadance has the power to spread love everywhere, thus having the magic of love at her side, which helped defeat Queen Chrysalis.

Twilight has the magic of friendship. So it's like both of them have a special type of magic that makes them unique from any other pony, enabling them to become alicorns.

That's actually not the case. You see, Cadence was actually a pegasus, but because she truly understood what love meant and exemplified a strong love, she was transformed into an alicorn. 

Alicorn status is obtained when there is a deep understanding of a certain trait. For instance, since Twilight truly understood magic and friendship and did what she did to create the new spell, she was transformed. 

That's actually not the case. You see, Cadence was actually a pegasus, but because she truly understood what love meant and exemplified a strong love, she was transformed into an alicorn. 

Alicorn status is obtained when there is a deep understanding of a certain trait. For instance, since Twilight truly understood magic and friendship and did what she did to create the new spell, she was transformed. 

Which is kinda weird if you think about it to hard.  For instance, if Big Machintosh deeply understood applebucking and farming, would he turn into a princess? 

I'm grinning just thinking about it.

princess

You mean prince?

No no no no no, it has to be something abstract like love, or friendship. Applebucking is physical. Understanding the abstract is 10x more difficult than understanding the concrete. As you have learned, the abstract is what we cannot see physically. We can only see it though certain circumstances. Take love for instance. Cadence had a deep love for Shining Armor, which is one of her greatest traits, which is what made her a princess.   

Let me give you my two bits with a far-fetched theory. I'm not that good with words, but hopefully y'all will understand.

Cadence is said to have 'understood' love, and then she became an alicorn. Since friendship is an actual magical force in Equestria, then love must be too.(A Canterlot Wedding kinda shows that.)

What if love and friendship could chose the pony they want to represent them? There must be more ponies who have 'understood' love and friendship(as someone else said) but they didn't become alicorns. In my theory, love and friendship didn't see them as the best candidates to represent them. 

When Cadence 'understood' love, love itself saw her as the best candidate to represent it. Same thing with Twilight. 

This theory might not even be valid since I wrote it around 4 in the morning, so yeah. At this time it seems the most likely theory to me.

(edited)

Celestia must have known that Twilight will be ready although she's still young for her age. She is Princess Celestia's number one student right? And throughout all the episodes she has never actually gotten mad at her or has lacked on completing her studies. (well except the time she thought she was going to be tardy) Celestia must be very proud of her and thats what made her believe that it is the right time for her to review her true destiny of becoming an alicorn. I believe that most alicorns are related to something royal but it still bothers me that doesn't mean that you're a certain type of alicorn, doesn't really mean you're some sort of king, queen, princess or prince. I think Celestia got a bit carried away for such a young mare to begin Twilight Sparkle's duties of becoming a princess.

Edited by Magyk

Somebody brought up Discord when talking about this, and I thought that their opinion was interesting.

Discord, in the first episode that we saw him in, has the power to take and give horns and wings. Then, in Keep Calm and Flutter On, Celestia said that she would try to have him use his powers for good. 

So maybe it was his magic that gave her his wings.

Somebody brought up Discord when talking about this, and I thought that their opinion was interesting.

Discord, in the first episode that we saw him in, has the power to take and give horns and wings. Then, in Keep Calm and Flutter On, Celestia said that she would try to have him use his powers for good. 

So maybe it was his magic that gave her his wings.

Unfortunately, this does not explain Cadence. And theory on how the transformation happened needs to include her ascension as well, IMHO. It is a nice theory though.

Like others above me, I believe that 'becoming an Alicorn' takes what I call ultimate understanding and power of what makes you 'super-special'. Because of this, most that become Alicorns have the ability to have all understanding of all types of ponies (AKA becoming an Alicorn), and become royalty to use their talents to guide and protect Equestria. 

Now, my sorta perspectives on each of the Alicorns, and their ascension:

tumblr_mpuq9mrPGj1svooimo4_1280.png

Probably already obvious, but Celestia is most likely to represent the Day, the Light, and the Order of Equestria. She is kind of like a beacon of hope; the brightest light to all of the ponies in their time of need. Personally, I believe this is why she's been a 'princess' for so long. I also believe that her physique as an Alicorn was which she was born with. She explained that Twilight was one of the first to become an Alicorn, and not be born an Alicorn. With her wide-range of abilities, she became a ruler with her massive knowledge of magic and understanding of other ponies. She probably proved this some millenia ago when her and her sister stood up together to great foes like Discord.

tumblr_mpuq9mrPGj1svooimo5_1280.pngLuna most likely had the same story as Celestia, being born in my opinion an Alicorn, and also being one of the first Alicorns. She's ruled along with her sister for a very long time, and being there for her in all of the worst threats so far Equestria. I believe her relationship with her sister is sort-of like a Ying-Yang scenario, being almost complete opposites. They are are at their peak when both of them are harmoniously together, keeping Equestria in balance. Luna most likely represents the Night, the Dark, and more of a Choatic-good, with good intentions. She is likely to resemble a bit chaos because of her lack of understanding with other ponies, an her situation being on the antagonistic side. Despite her trouble with understanding, she is a great protector, and 

tumblr_mpuq9mrPGj1svooimo2_1280.png

Cadance/Cadence is kind of interesting, even though at first bronies thought she was a pretty unbalanced excuse for an Alicorn princess. At first I didn't see it as most bronies did, but when Twilight officially became a princess, it all came to me. She is the princess of Love, and these qualities best pertain to a connection with magic, since itself has been mentioned and shown in a 'Canterlot Wedding'. Celestia found this is Cadance/Cadence when she was a Pegasus, mentioned in the 'Crystal Heart' book, and found that she would have great potential finding love to the citizens of Equestria when they needed it. It is also mentioned that she became an Alicorn in the same way as Twilight did when she visits that place when Celestia sings her song, and transforms Twilight into an Alicorn. 

tumblr_mof7l0hzl81svooimo1_1280.png

We already know a lot already about Twilight, and how most likely represents Friendship. She gained her role by showing Celestia, yet again, her potential in protecting Equestria, and leading it. As she said, "true qualities" of becoming a princess. It was her that led me to believe all of the above, and how becoming an Equestrian ruler works.

Now, although I'm unsure how Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had became Alicorns I'm pretty sure we might be getting too complex. I think it's just whoever Celestia thinks is the most worthy and valid to become an Alicorn and later rule over a kingdom. Nothing more than that, they get there wings and figure simply from magic granted by Celestia. 

However that of-course leads into other logical arguments, was Celestia an eternal being and simply has always existed? Then how was Luna made? 

If I'm missing something, please correct me.