Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls

iLegovideo

Equestria Girls  

9 users have voted

1. 1. Rate the film

• Flash Sentry steals your waifu - Hated it!
    • "... needs some peanut butter crackers." - Disliked it
    • "What are hands?" - Meh it was okay.
    • "Those are my girls! Woo-hoo!" - Liked it
    • "We helped Twilight win the crown!" - Loved it!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought that this movie was awful. The movie wasn't that interesting to begin with. Maybe it would have been better if Twilight was trying to steal the crown. Why does she have to do this by entering the dance? Why does she have to do it the fair way. It was her property and she should steal it back.

• 4 weeks later...

Really liked it!

Really fun to see other ponies then The Mane Six come back in it.

But I'm really questioning what was going to happen with Twilight and Brad..

Not that I didn't love the pair, but it's sad you couldn't really see what was going to happen when Twilight came back with her crown..

And I find it nice, that the hate is a lot less! Because first we make The Mane Six into people, and when Hasbro does it, we become mad!

Really weird for me to see..

Also sad that the dolls were plain stupid.

It was the basic stuff, not something like Monster High, with the cute little details,

but okay.  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

At first I thought i was going to dislike this movie. After watching it though, I realized its not bad at all. If it came to stars, I'd probably give it four out of five. The only reason for the loss of a star is because the art style seems radically different to me, although this was expected due to the fact they are human and not ponies in this movie. Well made, simple as that.

Just a reminder that this thread is dedicated to reactions and reviews for the first Equestria Girls movie only. If you wish to discuss the sequel 'Rainbow Rocks' please visit these pages:

Reactions and Reviews: http://mlpforums.com/topic/111102-rainbow-rocks-reactionsreviews-spoilers/

General Discussion: http://mlpforums.com/topic/85630-equestria-girls-rainbow-rocks-discussion-thread/

On Topic: 'Equestria Girls' was a pleasant surprise for me, in particular I enjoyed Sunset as a villain and I adored the Cafeteria Song sequence.

After Rainbow Rocks, I'm likely to view this first film less and less, but I'll still watch it from time to time. It's just the sequel is such an improvement!

• 5 weeks later...

Having watched the movie...

I would have to say, though I liked the movie, we already have many "human" cartoons, I persomally prefure the Anthro, there is something magical about Alicorns and Unicorns to me, though I would not even deign to use the term "sexy" in referance to them, perhaps "Darling" is a better choice.

I watched this for the first time yesterday and to be honest I'm not fussed. 

I always said that I didn't like the "ponies as people" idea and unfortunately the film didn't convince me otherwise. The songs are catchy though.

• 1 month later...

Equestria Girls. One of the best movies of all time. One word: Amazing! The songs: catchy and unforgettable! The plot: genius! 

Tara Strong and her crew really outdid theirselves on this film. Personally, I love Rarity's design- of course she's one of the most stylish pony in the school!

And Sunset Shimmer's villainous attitude: It's basiaclly a female, 2014/15, smartphone addicted version of Voldemort or Dr. Hatch (Michael Vey reference?).

And don't get me started on Rainbow Rocks! Just, when I found out the Sirens were being implemented (way to add Greek Mytholigy), I was fangirling (fanboying?. And the derpy personality of Sonata Dusk? Hilarious.

Overall, the Equestria Girls duo is just too awesome for words.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get why so many bronies hate it! Isn't this what we wanted? The ponies as girls? We have made so much fan art of it and now that it's canon you hate it? Why is this a bad thing? And why does everybody call Flash "Brad"?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Equestria Girls is my favorite animated musical fantasy comedy film. A real fantasy and comedy. I am a big fan of such comedy films. I was looking celebrity gossips and suddenly reach on that page. Thank you for such a brilliant topic. 

Edited by atiqaaa

• 1 month later...

Remember when Twilight was worried about telling the Humane 5 the truth that she's a pony from another world and her true self appear in the mirror? When I first saw that scene in the theater, that's when I realized that despite Twilight spending a majority of this film as a human instead of pony, she is STILL the same Twilight I've quickly grown to enjoy in a few months of being a Brony.

My point: It's shouldn't matter that the ponies are human in this, they've mostly stayed true to their pony equivalent and their personalities and that's more important than this ridiculous "They turned the ponies into humans, now they suck" attitude I keep hearing from the more critical viewers.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

That is a good question, I got a better one, who is "brad"? I forget, it's been a long time since I've seen the first movie.

It was what the fandom called Flash Sentry before he was officially name. Probably because it was the generic name used for many "heartthrob"*gag* characters in most teen movies/shows

I love both Equestria Girls movies. I don't know why I love them so much, I just do. The fact that the first brony meet up I attended was the first Equestria Girls at the cinema might have something to do with it. I had a blast. I love the way the audience was positioned to relate to Twilight being new to a school. I have felt that feeling of "this strange new world" many times.

Love all of the songs, the villains were intense, human versions of the ponies was a fresh, interesting take. I love the movies so much, I've been watching bits of them every single morning during weekdays, for about a year and a half. Every. Single. Morning.

And Flash is a nice guy, I like him he's cool.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I am watching this right now for the first time. My opinion is its pretty terrible. I don't like the idea of ponies as humans. At all. I will admit the mane 6 hairstylings are cute, but their overall body shapes drive me nuts. I get it, they have widening feet because the ponies do, but I don't know, it doesn't translate well for me. The only thing I like is spying a background pony as a background human. If I see it airing in the future im positive I won't watch it again. Sorry. I guess I just see it as pointless. The ponies are strong enough characters that I don't see the necessity of transforming them into high school girls. 

Edited by Lexamena

i was afraid to touch this spinoff movie due to the negative reviews, but i also heard Rainbow Rocks was good, and i didn't want to just jump into Rainbow Rocks without seeing the first movie, so i gave it a chance.  just as i was expecting to be let down, this movie kept surprising and impressing me, and though i admit that Sunset wasn't the most interesting or original villain, but there is just so much good in this movie, and the writing was so aware of things, i can barely contain myself and explain  xD

i was expecting way more problems than actually happened, considering that even the mane show sometimes has plot holes that really turn me off, or sometimes they exaggerate characters beyond a reasonable threshold, but for this movie, nope, not at all, it felt very well balanced and executed (thank you Meghan Mccarthy, this is probably because you wrote it).

it was convenient that Twilight Sparkle's possible paradox wasn't an issue, but the fact that this was an acknowledged possibility and not just speculation, Pinkie basically stated she already knew of TS from the city, and this makes sense, alt universe, maybe just as TS had her own reasons to go to Ponyville in the canon, the TS of the human realm probably didn't have a similar push to make her go to Canterlot High School, so the issue of a paradox wasn't a problem with a justified speculation.

i can't even fully analyze everything, i usually only bother to state things that are problems, but because i barely had any problems with this movie, i can't exactly tell you play by play everything i felt and thought about it, but it was just so nice, it felt like episode one all over again but in an alt reality, it was so much fun, and the teen drama is something that i eat up, i love teen drama, which is probably why a 5th of my favorite animes are based in high school (Ouran ftw).

i realize this wasn't a very original story at it's core, but it was a solid spinoff that is good enough that i honestly would not mind it being canon.  and if Rainbow Rocks is supposed to be better?  oh boy, then i might potentially finally give a 5 stars to something MLP related that isn't fanwork (yes, i technically don't love anything in MLP enough to give 5 perfect stars, but i am a very critical person who holds standards on the lines of Lord Of The Rings, Game Of Thrones, Baccano!, etc).

while i gave this first movie 4 stars, i expected to either hate it or be more neutral with 2 or 3 stars, 4 stars is a pretty high rating for me to offer something, so in conclusion i liked EqG a lot and i look forward to taking time to watch Rainbow Rocks  :wub:  ^_^  ;)  :muffins:  :grin2:  :pinkie:

• Brohoof 3

i haven't seen much of in depth reviews of EqG until today when i saw Silver Quill's review...  he pointed out things that i either took with a grain of salt, or plot holes that i blissfully ignored completely, but because of this, i've become shaken and now have a better understanding why other people hated this movie  :sunny:

though i feel it notched the first movie down for me, i can't deny that i still enjoyed the movie for what it is, but now i also feel like it could have been done way better, with more plot elaboration, plot progression, and setup.  considering Meghan McCarthy wrote this movie, i would have thought she was better at covering her bases than this, and i was blind to it the first time around, but maybe Meghan isn't the perfect writer i thought she was.   :(

either way, i don't hate the movie, despite all the things i recently realized, but it does put me into mixed feelings territory  :unsure: