Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

They are out of age... Or are they?

~StatesTheOblivious~

I'll be honest with you. I haven't seen the movie yet and I most certainly will do it in a way that Hasbro won't like me to do...

But I have one question, one subject to discuss, that I think is difficult to answer when it comes to headcanon.

Of course, I could simply adhere to the obvious answer "They are mostly all Highschool students because marketing"

But that's not what I want...

I tried it myself. Comparing real-life pony life expectancy to the one of humans, calculate how long a pony's biological development stages last in comparison to ours; puberty and childhood and stuff. I tried to ask myself what the definition of an adult in pony-society is. Leagl age, you know. And even if the mane 6 are really fully grown up yet, I mean, we have examples like Cadence and Fleurs de Lis and several others that are much taller than Twilight and her friends. The CMC are some kind of Elementary School students in FiM and the mane 6 have all, at least in some way, their own businesses. If the whole setting in the movie is based on an average US-American Highschool, doesn't that mean that most of the sudents are around between 14 and 18 years old?

Sorry, if I lack of information of any kind here, but since I don't care about being flooded with spoilers, I just want to speculate and headcanonize what I can.

My question is: Do you think, the age of the characters in FiM is actually comparable to their counterparts in that parallel world? Can you explain it to yourself? I mean, it obviously goes for Twilight, since she is somewhat around the age of thier friend's counterparts while she is a human then, right?

• Brohoof 2

My question is: Do you think, the age of the characters in FiM is actually comparable to their counterparts in that parallel world? Can you explain it to yourself?

If the whole setting in the movie is based on an average US-American Highschool, doesn't that mean that most of the sudents are around between 14 and 18 years old?

Well since I see the the ponies as around 15-18, and Lauren has said herself that they are teens, I do believe that the ages in FiM:EqG works compared to FiM

I have always pictured the mane 6 as adults, albeit young adults but still adults somewhere between the ages of 18-25. They are not in school anymore except for Twilight being Celestias student until her big promotion in the season 3 finale and they all have jobs and in the case of Applejack and Rarity even own their own businesses. And while they are ponies I think their lifespan is most likely much closer to a humans lifespan than a horses. They just put them in that high school setting to because of marketing which was one of the reasons which made me a tad skeptical about the movie but I saw it and it is still a good movie.

• Brohoof 3

The ponies live in an old-fashioned society. School ended earlier, and they would begin to work at that age. At age 16, it wouldn't be that rare to try to make your own business.

This makes a ton of sense, really. The only thing that doesn't is the CMC being that close to the mane 6.

• Brohoof 2

I would picture all of the mane 6 ponies as teens. Only because, they act like it and in the episodes you can kind of summarize the age some of the ponies are. Like in EqG they go into the human world and they are in a high school. You would think that the teleporter teleports you to the world you want to go to, looking like you were when you first walked in. I could care less how old they are. The show is awesome.

Lauren said they're young adults with a 12 year old mindset if I recall.

The EQG universe is just a universe where the ages and lifepspans of the FiM characters work differently.  Just because it's an alternate universe, doesn't  mean your counterpart has to be the same age as you. 

• Brohoof 3

I think the ponies are young adults, with at least being 18. [since they aren't confirmed to live human years, it's quite irrelevant numerically]. They have the ability to live on their own, hold full time employment, and are not required to be "signed for" by parents or guardians.

True in Equestria Girls they are in High School, however after seeing the movie and how Twilight reacts, there is no such thing as high school in Equestria. So yeah, they're maturity is practically high school level, however in terms of their rights and capabilities in Equestria, they are adults.

I've always pictured the main six as young adults, they all appear to have jobs and a few run their own businesses.

Rarity has her boutique for example and AJ appears to do most of the work in Sweet Apple Acres.

But I will admit that mentally and emotionally they sometimes act younger as some other people have said.

Although it still strokes me as a bit odd to see them as highschool girls.

I think that the age of the mane 6 is in the teens yeah, I think the only reason its weird to say that is due to them all owning homes of some form and not having their parents around still, but thats easily solved by the fact that the ponies society is way different then our own.

While this is a question that I was going to ask because I agree with those who say that the main 6 are young adults and have felt that EQG is wrongly ageing the characters. And while it didn't out right say there's a difference... it inadvertently shows that the age is irrelivent between the two worlds

Now I'm only going by what I've read because I haven't seen it but from what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) but IF Celestia is the principal in human form. How can she be 1000+ years old?

Pony age vs EQG age is irrelevant

If there's an answer to that crazy logic please share

• Brohoof 1

12, 14, 16, 18, what's the difference? Unless they bring in democratic process, age is irrelevant, it tells us nothing about the characters. Only their experiences matter.

Someone made an interesting video on the ages of the Mane Six, or at least their equivalent age in our society. It gets rather in-depth, and may be too long for some of you, but I thought it was rather thought-provoking, so I shall post it.

For those of you who don't feel like watching that, he ended up concluding they were likely somewhere from 16-18 years, placing them in the right age group for High School in our society. As RWB said, one of the only problems is the Mane Six being so clsoe in age to the CMC, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, and Feather Weight.. I've always viewed them as somewhere from 2nd-6th grade, definitely not freshmen. Also, it seems a bit odd that all the ponies that made cameos, especially ones like Photo Finish, just happened to be the same age as the Mane Six. But, this can be explained away as the writer's wanting to cameo just about everyone simply for the lulz. Oh, and the princesses. Definitely different ages in the two worlds, unless the ones in the human world are somehow immortal and just pretend to die all the time. But that seems unlikely. Incredibly so.

• Brohoof 1

In my head the Mane Six are young adults.  They have their own jobs. And Cadance and Fleur de Lis are taller for other reasons: cadance is an alicorn (already was before she appeared, contrary to Twilight that became one) and Fleur de Lis is just tall. Twilight's parents are as tall as Twilight..

But I also think that every discussion about their age tend to forget that they are not like us or our normal ponies. Granny Smith must be at least hundreds of years old. We actually have NO IDEA how old they are, but anyway, I do think that they are past the "high school age".

One thing to consider is that the "difficulty setting" of reality in Equestria is much lower than it is in (our) HumanVerse.  Just look at "apple-bucking."  There's just no way that would even come close to working on this side of the mirror.  You can see it pretty much whenever ponies are carrying out some physical task, like the CMC's building their parade float.  Things "just work" in ways that they don't here.  Equestrian physics is much more responsive to a pony's conscious intention even when they're not using magic outright.  So, it is a lot easier for a pony to "make it on their own" than it is for a human in our world.  Hence, less education and vocational training are necessary before a pony can function as an independent adult.

I think it's a safe bet they are out of age, what with Photo Finish and the Cutie Mark Crusaders running around in High School and all.

The Mane Six ponies could be teenage, but I don't think the movie is necessarily confirming this either way.

Here are my thoughts on this.

1. As RWB said, Equestria is like our society from a century or so ago. Less school was required to have a successful career then than it is now. Mandated K to 12 didn't exist.

2. The only person's age that really seems to matter is Twilight’s. All the other humans are weird parallel universe equivalents to her friends in Equestria. They're generally close age wise, but they wouldn't have to match exactly because they're not the same people.

3. A difference of, say, 2 to 4 years is very small in the big scheme of things. It only seems like a lot when comparing a high school freshman to a senior.

I think that in pony society, there is no high school (no wonder Twilight had no clue what to do). Maybe you only need to get through Jr. High in order to have a business.

• 1 year later...

I personally imagine the Mane Six as teens. It would be too confusing if they were adults, because of Equestria Girls. My drawings show their human form as teenagers, 14-17.