Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

rcollinz13

When I was younger (like...in middle school), I thought the phrase was cool. Others were saying it because the it depicts that something or someone is "silly". But on the other side, I wasn't exposed to LGBT people as much. Until I reached high school, that one day I said that phrase to a teacher, I got sent to the office for it, because it was widely offensive to the Gay community. 

Now, being an adult myself, I now understand why the phrase is so offensive, and sometimes I wish I knew sooner before I got sent to the office and got a week's detention. xD But yeah, it now offends me too, because I'm a strong supporter for LGBT. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it's so much the word means itself as to what it means in context. There's a lot of hate towards the LGBT community, and when you say, "Oh, that's gay" you're comparing gay people to something stupid, worthless, etc. They aren't saying, "That's homosexual" but the underlying meaning is hate for the LGBT community. 

You wouldn't say "Oh, that's straight" or "Oh, that's heterosexual." 

It's offensive. I'm bisexual, and I've met many great gay people. My best friend is gay, and she got tortured sooo badly she got homeschooled. People are so mean. Life's too short for people to be like this. :(

I actually called someone out in school one day for telling someone he was gay. I told him that he was being ignorant and a massive prick and that being gay isn't wrong. His response and i'm not even joking was. I know being gay isn't wrong I said it to him because he isn't gay therefore its an insult. So it's my guess several people who do do it only as a way to spite people.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think people actually even really realize that they're trying to insult someone by using a term of homosexuality as their word of choice. It's like when people say "retarded"; they don't think of the implications involved behind the word, it's a no-brainer. (Though "retarded" does bother me a lot.)

I'm pansexual and I get bothered about it all the time, but I don't get too hung up when people say "that's gay". It doesn't necessarily mean that they are trying to imply you are of a different sexuality, because how stupid would that be? It's not an insult to be a homosexual. I guess some people see it as that way, but those aren't even the type of people you'd normally want to associate yourself with unless you too are homophobic.

This post makes no sense, I'm not very good at putting what I mean into words when I'm tired. Maybe I'll update it later.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I never said this.

If I did, I would kill myself, because "That's gay" get's so annoying and is so offensive! Why can't friendship exist in this world? IDK either.

I'm bisexual myself so it hits HARD. I hope one day people could just think before they speak is all, I do agree there IS freedom of speech, but this homophobia is WAY beyond their Freedom of Speech.

Some of the greatest sitcom actors, are gay. Let's see... Jim Parsons, NPH (Neil Patrick Harris)...

And never forget: Ellen Degeneres. She's a lesbian, and she has had her own TV show for quite some time, and was Dory in Finding Nemo.

Point is: saying "That's Gay" offends many great people ( Including myself ;) )

Edited by Rainbow P.F. Sparkle

(edited)

You know what? Yesterday, I smothered a 13 with love and tolerance because he said "GAY FUCK U" on an extremely well done alicorn Rarity pic. To take it word for word:

"Do you need a hug? Because you don't seem like you feel very secure with yourself if you sink low enough to cuss out people simply enjoying art and use homophobic slurs. Dear, don't harass people who haven't laid a finger on you." 

And then other people went batshit bananas and my reprimand was lost between capslock and text speak. img-1599467-1-dry.png

But you know what's just as bad?

A group of people (Three boys, go figure) in my class last year would call eachother women as a derogatory term. 

"Move out of the way, woman."

"What are you doing woman."

"You're a woman."

When they were finally confronted by the teacher, a teacher that would go off on WEIRDLY DEEP side conversations in the civil rights unit, who asked them why they used it as an insult they replied (I shit you not):

"I dunno."

And then I flipped a table.

(Also I don't let the gay insult get to me cause I'm about as straight as a slinky.)

Edited by Vodka_Mutini
  • Brohoof 3

I don't mean to make myself sound like a saint, but I never called stuff "gay" in a derogatory way. Not a fan of homophobic slurs at all. I'm currently in college and I'll still hear people say "that's gay." Probably best not to throw that phrase around, especially if you don't know the sexual orientation of those around you. It's hurtful because it's used instead of stupid, lame, unmanly, etc. and basically implies that being gay is stupid, lame, unmanly, etc. It's completely hostile toward gay people, even if you don't mean for it to be. I have some gay friends (who are awesome and caring people), and it feels like an insult to them when I hear people blatantly use homophobic slurs. How can gay people be treated equally one day if homosexuality is still being treated this way? Oh yeah, I also hate "that's retarded" too, for the same reasons.

• Brohoof 3

I walk into school and everyone says to everything "thats gay"

I show my homework and people say thats gay

I write with my colourful pen people say thats gay

I speak about the holocaust in history class and people say thats gay

I freaking dont like people who say thats gay

The only thing in the universe what is gay is 2 guys f**king eachother

I don't have any problem with homosexuals (I'm bi myself), but I do use gay as an insult sometimes, and here is why. I use it against those who will actually be offended by it; the super macho guys who attack anything that isn't football and beer. My brother is an example. He constantly tries to pretend he's more of a man then me. When I point out that his favorite hobby is rolling around with other men (wrestling) I am essentially doing the "that's gay" thing, but I'm only doing it because I know it will get under his skin. Yeah, it's an attack, but sometimes you need an attack back against the jerks in the world. Attacking is the point.

People definitely shouldn't go throwing the phrase around randomly though, like "that shirt is gay" or "poetry is gay". Still, I do think everyone has the right to speak how one likes, even if it makes them look like an ass.

• Brohoof 1

It's become such a common phrase that I really don't think it's a big deal. When people say "that's gay" they don't mean it in the same way as saying "that's homosexual." In the case of this phrase it just means "stupid" or something along those lines.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I used to use that word a lot when I was younger, it had no meaning to me back then. It was just like saying "that's stupid" or something, I never really connected it with sexuality. I'm not sure if I have ever offended someone with it, since I only used it around friends. People just used that word a lot and so did I. I don't really use that word anymore and it has no meaning to me.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

I used to say that a lot when I was younger.  I heard others say it, so I said it too.  I didn't mean anything derogatory by it though, it was just a phrase like "that's stupid".  As I got older and learned more about the gay community, calling something gay didn't feel right anymore, so I quit saying it.

At that point I started getting annoyed when I heard others saying it, but now I don't care as much as I used to.  I know the majority of the people who say it don't have any ill will towards the gay community, so the phrase doesn't have any meaning.  Still, if I hear one of my friends say it I get slightly disappointed in them.  Once they get to university, I feel they should know better. Oh well...

• Brohoof 1

I have no problem with it. I use it all the time, and I have a boyfriend (yes, I'm a guy). To me, it's like the word 'cool.' It has two meanings,  neither of which pertain to the other. One means cold, and the other means something that is popular or interesting. Same with 'gay.' One is a preference, and the other is a derogatory term to mean 'stupid,' or 'unnacceptable,' more or less.

I've been called "gay" many times at school. I don't think they realized that I'm actually bisexual, but it really hurts my feelings. Being gay should not be associated with being an insult. Gay is a sexual preference, not a mental disorder. Using it an insult just makes you look both homophobic and immature.

(edited)

I thought the phrase fell out of use a couple years ago. I haven't heard it's widespread use in quite a long time :/

Anyway, yeah, it's in poor taste, but I don't get why people flip shit over an off-hand phrase. It has lost any derogatory meaning it had towards the LGBT community a long time ago, much the same as calling something "stupid" doesn't mean you're comparing it to and insulting unintelligent people. It's a word with multiple meanings that have very little to do with each other. Perhaps the person who started using it this way hated gays, but these days, if somebody says "this thing is gay", they don't mean "this thing is comparable to gay people, and I hate gay people, therefore I hate this thing." They mean "this thing is stupid."

Context and intention are more important than the words themselves. Stop taking it personally/offensively when it isn't, and it will stop being offensive.

I used to say it because it was a phrase heard all around me, and I stopped after awhile because I found other ways to call things stupid. I'd also make fun of the phrase itself, such as:

"Man, the concept of writing that essay behaves in a way that leads me to believe it is sexually attracted to concepts of the same gender!"

Also:

scientists.jpg

This is here in an attempt to fix the spoiler weirdness.

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 3

I've been called "gay" many times at school. I don't think they realized that I'm actually bisexual, but it really hurts my feelings. Being gay should not be associated with being an insult. Gay is a sexual preference, not a mental disorder. Using it an insult just makes you look both homophobic and immature.

Exactly. This is how the homophobic side of society is incompetent. They do not understand that homosexuality is caused by environmental factors, not disorder.

At least at my school people know and are surprisingly accepting. The user I quoted seems to be on the shorter end of the stick. I couldn't stand that end.

• Brohoof 2

you could say the phrase rubs me the wrong way, due to the fact that i'm gay, and i don't want gay = stupid, becaue that's not cool any way you slice it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't hear it nearly as often as I used to but, I didn't care back then and I still don't care now though it can get a bit annoying when it is overused but that annoys me about words in general. It is like the collective IQ of humanity is plummeting and I think it is coincidence that the vocabulary is going down with it. Have you ever noticed how so many people can barely even string together a sentence anymore without saying the same words over and over again? It is like my god like find another like read a book or like a dictionary or like something.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

(edited)

I think it is the dumbest thing I have heard in my life. When I was in high school, it was the most common phrase I would hear. People would insult others or their interests by saying "you're gay" or "that's gay". It made no sense to me whatsoever. It's just ignorant kids using words that they don't know the meaning to because they think it makes them look cool.dry.png

And for the record, I hate that word.

Edited by SmartyPants

i used to use this term allot few years ago but when i found out that on of my friends is homosexual is stopped using the term altogether  i find that its mainly the younger teenagers 12-15 that use it 

I'll be totally bluntly honest and say that I have used the term before, but I feel terrible for it.

I try to totally avoid using it anymore. But sometimes my repulsive anger moments overcome my will to not use it.

As much of a hypocrit I am for it, i hate the term, it has no meaning anymore and is a dumb insult, it basically makes being gay a bad thing, when it really isn't anyways. And most of the time someone says it and it doesn't even make any flipping sense >_>.

"I like apples, do you like apples?"

"No I like oranges, Apples are gay."

>_>.....

Anyways, case and point the term is dumb and just lost most of its meaning, although It can also be offensive to actual gays, and thus I think it should be avoided. Even if its sometimes hard for people I guess particularly in the teenager years like me who hear it all the freaking time.

I try my best to avoid it, but again I'm not perfect, I hate the term regardless.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

I think it's just kids being ignorant fools. 

The bad thing is, I hear it so often, that I sometimes end up saying "that's gay" when I really mean "that's stupid". Then I feel awful, and want to slap myself with a flexible ruler.

I acctually punch myself in the face when I call something gay.

I really fucking hate people who say "THATS GAY" "OH YUR SUUHHH GHEY" "FEHGG"

Well. There are cons to living in memphis, the new detroit.

This is my view of it. And don't criticize me because I'm gay myself, this is just an opinion.

Guy: That's gay.

Heavy gay rights supporter:  OMG DID YOU JUST SAY THAT? LOVE IS LOVE MAN NO MATTER IF ITS BETWEEN A GUY AND A GIRL OR A GUY AND A GUY OR A GIRL AND A GIRL. I CANT BELIEVE YOU WOULD SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT, THATS SO AWFUL!

Guy: That's gay.

Gay guy: I know, right?

I honestly think we're overreacting a little. Just let them be, if something as simple as a phrase is upsetting a gay person, it's just pointless.

I mean seriously, my good friends call me a faggot and I think it's hilarious because they're just messing around.

Edited by Star Streak
  • Brohoof 7

If you want me to be honest, yeah I say it occasionally. I'm clearly not insulting anyone (lol) and yes, I even have gay friends who say it too. I don't find any offense in it, you're not insulting anyone. Then again, I've never been easily offended and it's hard to upset me. Maybe that just me. But overall, No. I don't see a problem. You're not making fun of anyone of insulting them or being mean soooo...