Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

rcollinz13

I guess is because in my country there are some actually heavy insults, but the whole that's gay thing seems extra tame to me.

Honestly, even I use the spanish equivalent (and spanglish one as well) irl with no actual ill spirit towards the lgtb collective (and several people from said collective use the slang as well). We also use the equivalent of "faggot" a lot, but meaning no harm to homosexuals. In our language is more of a synonim to coward, cheapshot or obnoxious most of the time. And I guess this is a clear example on how words are just words and societies and people are the ones that give them or substract any power from them.

• Brohoof 1

I say let the kids joke. You know to them it only makes the joke funnier if you get upset over it. Kids are kids, jokes are jokes. Anything you try and do to stop it will only make it worse for you and more enjoyable for them. Besides 90% of the the time it’s used, it makes no sense at all so oh well. I don’t like to get offended over much of anything especially jokes. I’m not saying I condone the use of the phrase but there’s nothing we can do about it so just take it with a grain of salt. They’ll grow out of it soon enough.

Edited by Sliding Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

I use "that's gay" usually only when I'm bitching about work. I don't really use it outside of that, except when I'm pointing out something that is actually homosexual. Generally I have more colorful insults for things outside of the scope of work.

• 1 year later...

Well as someone who's LGBT I can say that it really doesn't bother me maybe I'm just desensitized to it. Though really it all depends on the context, I believe usually in the given context there are no reasons to get upset by it. 

• Brohoof 2

I feel it's pretty much slang- to one's liking. As long they're not using it or saying it to discriminate. But think it's self- explanatory to tell difference between using it as a "joke/slang" and as an "insult".

Most of my friends are part of LGBT and they always use that as a slang or as joke. I also do the same with them like calling them "gay" or " that's gay".   I think it's funny that even though I'm the only straight in the group, they would call me the gayest :ButtercupLaugh: