Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Sunset Shimmer the Worst Major Villain?

Mywas

in your opinion  

188 users have voted

1. 1. Is sunset Shimmer worst villain?

• yes
    • no

Hello!

Personally, the whole idea that "Friendship" is always involved somewhere is getting a little boring... Here we saw, that Sunset Shimmer lacked the ability to make friends, and for that reason, she turned evil. I think her character was weak and she was no way comparable to the big boys and girls. ( Discord, Nightmare moon, Sombra, Chrysalis ).

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna say yes, she is the worst major villain IMO. But not because she's a bad villain just I like Nightmare Moon, Chrysallis, Discord, and Sombra better (in that order too).

• Brohoof 1

King Sombra still holds the crown for worst villain.

No good villain should make you create your own backstory and ideas for them. You can have a mysterious villain such as the joker in TDK, but sombra wasn't even that. He was basically nothing more than a roadblock.

Sunset Shimmer at least shows all her intentions and through the film you can see more of her and her emotions. But with that said even in the length of the film I wish she would've had more development. Hopefully she shows up again down the road.

• Brohoof 1

I would say that she is the worst major villain,but that doesn't mean I don't like her. It's just that she has to stand up to the great villains already in the show. It's not that she's bad,In my opinion of course, It's just that she had to live up to so much.

• Brohoof 1

Sunset is not the worst. I can say with confidence that Sombra is the worst villain for sure.

Sunset did seem rather undeveloped at a glance seeing as how she just wanted the crown to rule Canterlot High, but she ditched Celestia, let alone Equestria in the past. She thought she was too good for that world, so she went to a different one to prove to Celestia she is better than her. Perhaps it's the fact we saw little of Sombra, but he felt incredibly generic to me. Sunset was better than Sombra for me.

Yup. Compared to the other four, she's pathetic.

Nightmare Moon was sort of eh, Sombra was an alright character for what he was supposed to do, Chrysalis was a fairly good villain, Discord was epic, and I can't place Sunset with the other villains.

At least the others could back up their conquest plans with an army, or sheer power. All Sunset had was an army of zombie teenagers and two hellspawn.

• Brohoof 2

IMO, Sunset Shimmer is the weakest of the major villains we've encountered so far, but I don't think that makes her "bad".  After all, unlike all the other villains, Sunset is just about the same age as Twilight, and she also shared the same status as Celestia's student like Twilight.  However, what makes Sunset Shimmer works for EqG was the fact that she rejected the magic of friendship way back when, opting instead to be a cold, power-hungry pony/human.  She didn't need to live up to the likes of Nightmare Moon, Discord, Chrysalis, and Sombra.  What we see with Sunset Shimmer is what happens when you live your life without the magic of friendship.  You become cold, selfish, and spiteful, going so far to drive everyone around you apart just to reaffirm your own "popularity".   And when she finally gets to wear the element of magic, it turns her into what she had become, a demon.

And all this comes back to my original point, Sunset Shimmer is still a young pony/young woman, and she's still has a lot of life learning to do, much like Twilight and her friends.  The difference again is that Sunset rejected friendship and went solo all this time while Twilight and her friends have each other to figure things out.  It's that simple contrast that makes Sunset Shimmer an effective antagonist for Equestria Girls.

Again, she is not in the same league as the other major bad guys, but she isn't meant to be.  That's just my two cents.

• Brohoof 2

you prove an excellent point although she is the only pony who had the intentions of killing twilight rather then feeding off of her love, or driving her into chaos for the fun of it. Or in the case of Sombra just making them his slaves.

Nah, Sombra still holds the crown of worse villain. I actually like Sunset more then Night Mare Moon. I just find her design, overall personality, and her viewpoint very interesting.

• Brohoof 2

Nah, Sombra still holds the crown of worse villain. I actually like Sunset more then Night Mare Moon. I just find her design, overall personality, and her viewpoint very interesting.

Oh please tell why he is worst villain. and please don't say "hurr durr he had no lines." because neither did Sauron who Sombra is based off.

@

He did have lines, but let's face it. He's the most underdeveloped villain of the series, and seriously, he had little to no character. Sunset Shimmer had a load of character, Discord had a lot of character and personality, and Chrysalis had pretty much a load of character too. Sombra? All he was is a shadow king who wants to corrupt the Crystal Empire for whatever reason. Also, he had way too complicated a design.

@

He did have lines, but let's face it. He's the most underdeveloped villain of the series, and seriously, he had little to no character. Sunset Shimmer had a load of character, Discord had a lot of character and personality, and Chrysalis had pretty much a load of character too. Sombra? All he was is a shadow king who wants to corrupt the Crystal Empire for whatever reason. Also, he had way too complicated a design.

He was suppost to be that. he was suppost to be the threat that you don't know anything about. the loaming threat that is loaming ready to strike whenever you leave an open space. Just because you prefer villains who are retarted and let themselfs get beaten and waste time talking doesn't mean evenone has to

• Brohoof 1

She wasn't the worst, but could have been much more.

Out of all the major villains, I think so far; King Sombra would have to be the worst in my books. He had no character nor character development, backstory, reasons for his actions, and his design was way too over the top. These things; Sunset Shimmer had.

But she didn't have a lot of them. At least she had a character, but it was really disappointing to see the writers take her down a generic path. She did have some character development, which was good. She had a great design, and a pretty good reason behind her actions. So, she definitely wasn't the worse of the four, but she definitely could have been much more if she a less cliche character.

Like I said. SOMBRA IS BASED OFF SAURON. get it, deal with it. If you only watched lord of the ring you would know nothing about Sauron except that he was evil.  and atleast Without Sombra The Crystal Empire Episode would look stupid. while we can take out Sunset Shimmer and replace it by having the Portal a living thing and it sucked in the crown

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

What, we all have our opinions. Just because we don't like King Sombra dosen't mean that you need to bash us.

This is a thread to say if Sunset Shimmer is worst villain, not why Sombra is best pony. I don't pike Sombra because of complicated designs, little to no personality, etc. I liked the other villains because I could relate to them and laugh, but Sombra...I couldn't relate to him at all. He was a good concept, but they handled him poorly.

Also, everypony but Sombra had legit reasons to overthrow Equetria.

NMM: Was jealous and thought of herself as the rightful queen

Discord: Wanted some fun and chaos, and Equestria was the perfect place to do so

Chrysalis: Needed to feed her hive, and Equestria was the biggest source of love

Sunset: Never truly knew friendship, so she tried to make friends by force

Sombra: Wanted to take over the empire for whatever reason.

Edited by Shift

because I could relate to them and laugh, but Sombra...I couldn't relate to him at all. He was a good concept, but they handled him poorly.

So because he din't make you laugh he was handled poorly? That logic doesn't even makes sense. by your standards godzilla was a bad villain.

• Brohoof 1

So because he din't make you laugh he was handled poorly? That logic doesn't even makes sense. by your standards godzilla was a bad villain.

I never really liked Godzilla.

And anyway, the reason I dislike Sombra is because of the lack of character and bein just anoher boring cliche villain. All of hem showed some delph of character except Sombra. If they expanded a bit I would like him but now not so much.

(edited)

I never really liked Godzilla.

And anyway, the reason I dislike Sombra is because of the lack of character and bein just anoher boring cliche villain. All of hem showed some delph of character except Sombra. If they expanded a bit I would like him but now not so much.

Opinions. Just because you din't like him doesn't mean hes a bad villain it just means you like goofy villains instead of badass serious villains

Edited by What
  • Brohoof 1

Opinions. Just because you din't like him doesn't mean hes a bad villain it just means you like goofy villains instead of badass serious villains

At least half of the fandom thinks Sombra is worst villain, bro. Als, if it is opinion, then that means the other four villains aren't bad villai ns.

And if it's your opinion, why the heck did you jump in arguing anyway?

At least half of the fandom thinks Sombra is worst villain, bro. Als, if it is opinion, then that means the other four villains aren't bad villai ns.

And if it's your opinion, why the heck did you jump in arguing anyway?

Not anymore. it just at first the fandom were too much of crybabies who don't understand what a villain means. nowdays sombra has as much as fans as Nightmare moon