Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you drink?

Sunset Shimmering

Well, most people drink alcohol to get drunk.

Alot of people maybe but I think you are generalizing a bit too much. Alot of people drink every now and then due to special occasions like parties or weddings or maybe just a drink or two to unwind but don't or rarely get drunk. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, most people drink alcohol to get drunk. So I was kind of expecting that, but I know you can drink a glass of wine without being drunk.

I'm not really certain if "most people" really do drink to get drunk.

I think that it is fair to say that most college students who are first exposed to alcohol will drink to get drunk. But what about older people? There are some who do drink to get drunk, sure, but you hit your mid-twenties, even, and you find that you are physically unable to down multiple beers without feeling miserable. When you are 18, you can do stuff like that to your body. But eventually, it stops being fun and your body starts to hate you for doing stuff like that. At least for some people.

Drinking to get drunk stops losing its appeal, too. It goes from a newfound freedom from your parents and whatnot to the same old thing over and over again.

There are alcoholics, obviously, who don't stop drinking to get drunk, because, well, they are alcoholics and they are addicted. Drinking at all becomes problematic for them, so for most alcoholics, complete abstinence from alcohol is the only way for them to stop causing problems in their lives.

My point is that making broad assumptions about people who drink alcohol isn't ideal. It's kind of like saying that most Christians are bigoted, or most women cry during chick flicks, or most bronies treat MLP like a religion or way of life. You think that you have experienced enough people from a group of people to make an assumption like that, but the reality is that there is probably so much more that you do not know.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I am smashed all the time biggrin.png

I like drinking. It's fun. I know it's not for everyone but it's hella fun in my opinion.

even if i'm not of age yet

might have been drunk when i wrote this

Edited by concertoldham

I do. All things in moderation though. There's nothing wrong with or harmful about an occasional drink. Whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant I'll order a margarita, and I'll have an ale when I go to a ball game. That's the extent of my drinking in public. While I've sacrificed some motor control while drinking in public and maybe my voice became a little louder than I intended, I've never taken leave of my senses; many times before I've told others I've had enough or that I wasn't in any shape to drive. I'm not careless or irresponsible. Maybe I should also add that I don't drink when I go to such places with people who are underage, because I feel that it's rude for me to enjoy something they can't order.

Sure, I've seriously overindulged before to the point that walking to the bathroom was a significant accomplishment, but it's always been within the comfort and security of my own home. It's still not worth the headache and possible nausea the following morning though, so I stop after a certain point.

To be honest, I didn't start drinking an appreciable amount of anything alcoholic until I reached the age of 23. I didn't go on a binge or do anything stupid on my 21st birthday, and despite the area I grew up in making it easy for people to start drinking in their mid-teens, I didn't get involved in it.

For those who think everyone who drinks does so strictly because of some desire to appear hip or get wasted, no. Some do, but the fact is most people who drink any form of alcohol do so only because they enjoy it. People's tastes are different. Just because you hate all forms of it doesn't mean someone else can't like it. It's no different than food in that regard.

I do but in moderation, a couple of beers or some wine every now and then and on rare occasions a margarita. I have drank enough to get a slight buzz before but never enough to be full blown drunk, I drank these two margaritas at this one Mexican restaurant once that had way more alochal than I thought and they did knock me out pretty good (I drifted off to sleep at 9 o clock that night) but they didn't get me drunk.

Mexican restaurants all have their own ideas when it comes to how much tequila they put in their margaritas. I've been to some restaurants where I've needed one of their large margaritas and one of their smalls to get a noteworthy buzz. At my favorite Mexican place which happens to be local, their margaritas have enough in it that one small is almost enough to make me wobbly. You never know what you're going to get at a new place.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@RockinRarity, Truth is, I'm never that much around other people. Those few who I have seen that are drinking, are all doing it to get drunk. But it's not like that's so bad, it seems like drugs are starting to play much more part in it. You can't really blame me though for thinking this way. All I know is that my whole school drinks just to get drunk, then again it's just the age. There are a lot of older people I know that talk about the taste of a wine and stuff, not endlessly of getting drunk. I have nothing against that, I don't really have a fully formed opinion on this. I don't care if people drink and I have nothing against people that drink, I'm just going to stay away from it. End of story.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

Mexican restaurants all have their own ideas when it comes to how much tequila they put in their margaritas.

Yeah and there are some Mexican restaurants that use wine instead of tequila but the really good margaritas use tequila though it is just not the same without it. In my personal experience it has the hole in the wall places that tend to have the margaritas that pack the biggest punch but that place was a bit more upscale.

I've drank a little since I've turned 21 but not much. I had a wine cooler one time on my sister's 21st birthday when I was 18 though, those are delicious but I should probably stay away from them lol. As for beer, well it's icky at first but I can tolerate it, doesn't do anything for me though, but then again I haven't drank it excessively. For now I will probably only drink at parties, I don't go to many though. Besides, I much prefer soda...

• Brohoof 1

i do drink. and it has led me to interesting places. just yesterday i got so drunk i got a tattoo :/ i'va actually made a thread about that in the general discussion section. but yeah i guess you could say i drink too much. i usually drink every weekend when i go clubbin' with my friends.

It really gets me when people are on about drinking for the first time when they're 21. I'm not even 21 yet I've been drinking for a long time. The drinking age in England is 18 but I've been drinking since waaayyy before that. First time I ever started drinking would probably be when I was 6. For Sunday dinner we'd start with an aperitif such as Disaronno and I'd have a glass of watered down red wine with the meal. As I grew older the wine was no longer watered down and eventually was not limited to one glass. Even though the drinking age is 18 that didn't stop us from going to pubs at 15 or maybe even younger.

• Brohoof 1

I believe drinking is OK when done in moderation.  I didn’t drink alcohol before 21 and only had it on occasions like weddings and family gatherings.  Until my 30s I was largely a teetotaler.  Although I sometimes joke about being drunk, I almost never drink to excess (I usually tap out after three beers). I've had maybe one hangover in my whole life. Finally, I knew enough people with drinking problems that I never want to develop one myself.

Two of my favorites are Yuengling and Sam Adams.  They’re both more flavorful than most kinds of beer, but the Yuengling is cheap while Sam Adams is priced like an import.  In recent years, Philly has established a reputation as a craft beer city.  I don’t do too many mixed drinks.  But every once in a blue moon, I’ll have a Manhattan .  My dad and uncle both loved them.  The best part is that liquor saturated cherry, yum! My stepmom likes white zinfindel and she usually has some on hand when entertaining guests. I've grown to enjoy it too. When we go out my roommate will have drinks like Bahama Mama and Long Island Iced Tea. They’re pretty good and I’ll have stuff like that with her.  But alone I never bother. :P

• Brohoof 1

Well let me be the first to say that I could be considered an alcoholic. I like the sauce, and I have found it hard to say no to invitation to drink. And I have done a few crazy things... nothing dangerous, just silly stuff that you laugh about the next day. 

I used to be very vehemently anti-alcohol when I was a teenager... but that was a long time ago and things have changed. When I was a teenager I wouldn't go near a dance. But nowdays, get a few drinks in me and I'll be in the center of the dance floor. Granted it helps that I only dance at conventions where I'm amongst people that are like me.

And also... nobody likes the taste of alcohol. Not even die hard alcoholics. Basically your favorite drink is whatever you find goes down easiest. Some like beer because you can eventually became tailored to the taste, while others prefer a shot of hard alcohol and just get it down fast. To that end, my drinks of choice are Jagermesiter, or Crater Lake Vodka (which I consider superior to Grey Goose). For beer I prefer Corona... and of course any kind of hard cider is good.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah, but only on special occasions. Like I went to go visit an old friend at his college this last weekend, and we drank a lot on Friday night and Saturday night (Sunday we only drank a little). Friday night I drank 2 FourLokos, and on Saturday night I won a game of Edward Fourtyhands (go look it up XD). On Sunday we drank a little wine and had fancy cheese. 

But yeah, now I'll probably not drink again for months. So yeah, only on special occasions like that do I ever drink.

Interesting fact: I don't get hangovers. :3

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

Only during special occasions (or crazy parties) but even then, not much. I never drink enough to get drunk, though. Most alcoholic drinks just don't taste pleasant to me and I prefer other methods of easing my mind. But, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little curious as to what kind of drunk I was... and then I see the crazy things people do when they're drunk and suddenly I'm content with just being a spectator wacko.png

As long as you drink responsibly, you'll be fine.

• Brohoof 2

I'm 16 so it isn't widely available for me anyway, moreover personally I really hate the taste of it when I have tried it so not planning to have it anytime soon. I'll just stick with the fizzy drinks and the orange juice for the moment :P

I drink in moderation. Usually what the Government or Health authorities recommend, but if I go to a party or something every now and then, I'll drink more than I regularly do. If I do get drunk though, I'll try to get away from crowds since I'm a really depressive drunk and I don't want to bring down the mood..

I used to be in a bad way a couple years ago, where I drank A LOT, purely to escape from a reality that I had an intense dislike for, but I'm glad to say those days are behind me since I got into Ponies derpy_emoticon1.png

• 3 months later...

I for one love to drink, sure its not good for me but ahh I do it anyway... because it makes me feel better.. for a few hours I can be really happy! and forget about everything and everyone, just forget about the world and all that live on it and just have some fun.

I'm not 21, so nope. I'm not a rule breaking hooligan like some other's my age wink.png

The most i've had was a small sip of my mom's super fruity margarita (because she offered it to me). It was pretty tasty because of the sweetness, but i didn't like the burn of the alcohol.

When i'm old enough to drink, that's probably the most i'll drink. I'll drink to get a taste of the more delicious alcoholic beverages. I'm not one to drink for the sake of getting drunk, especially because waking up with a hangover doesn't sound nice.

unless i suddenly get really depressed someday and decide to drown my sorrows in alcoholic self pity.... i can see myself being a really sad drunk....

Edited by crazitaco

I consider drinking pretty important to life. Without proper fluids, the average adult becomes dehydrated in a day, and dies in 3

I've never put much interest into alchohol. I find the taste bitter and too reminiscent of the vinegar I'd be fed a teaspoon of if I mouthed off as a child.

Never had a drop and never will...I'm well into the age for it, but I've seen so many fall because of it...I understand it depends on the person, but there have been so many cases of abuse, hurt, illegality, unintended pregnancy, etc. due to it...that I thoroughly can't stand it...I feel it's something that's making the world worse imo...but I know some use it with wisdom, and they don't do it around others, and that's fine with me...as for myself though, not ever planning on it...

I drink, and I enjoy it. Whether to put the edge off of something, or 'enhance' an experience, it's a great way to be sociable (even though some weird schwat has gone down when I got a little tipsy with some ovexaggerating friends), and generally the different flavours and smells and looks of different combinations of drinks is amazing.

There's something about alcoholic mixed drinks that's tastier than regular mixed drinks. 

Of course, this is only on the special occasion, such as an 18th or 21st birthday, depending on where you live, and visiting friends that you never have met before/get to see (see also: my trip to England and pub crawling with my internet-turned-IRL-friend).

Stay safe if you do drink, don't binge, and try to experiment a little with what you drink!

Don't be an idiot :3

-Fix

• Brohoof 1

Do I drink...?

Let me introduce you to my good friend Jagermeister. Mix him with a little beer and you've got yourself a one-way ticket to drunkville...

• Brohoof 2

When I was twelve (I'm 17 now), my dad made me take a sip of beer. And I thought it tasted horrible. Never drank beer ever since.

But on special occasions, I've no problem with drinking a glass or two of wine/rum, not because of the sensation but because I like the taste.

I only drink pop with abit of vodka in it :P

My actual alcohol tolerance is pretty low and it takes almost next to no alcohol before i star feeling tipsy & giddy. so I rarely ever drink.