Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash/Fluttershy kiss

Fluttershutter

(edited)

Okay, I'm sure this was discussed to death when it aired but I'm new here.

So what do you think?

I don't see how you can deny that it was a kiss. There was a kiss sound and I think their eyes tell a whole story.

Seems like something they slipped in, while still having plausible deniability, to support homosexuality and let kids know it's okay to feel that way.

Of course they didn't want it to get too much attention or really change the relationship between the characters. It was just a one time thing.

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 1

I think you're looking too far into it.  Hasbro's owned by a bunch of Reagan era men who (I would bet a lot of money) are strict republicans.  I don't think that they're going to be the first to support homosexuality in a kids show.

• Brohoof 1

Remind me which episode this was, or is it something that happened in EG? I don't think Hasbro's owners really care what's presented in the show as long as it gives them an opportunity to sell more toys in all honesty. Already, a lot of of the moral lessons presented in each episode could be deemed questionable by Christian standards while others are perfectly in line with them. And the writers are indeed quite liberal.

(edited)

^I believe Flutter is talking about that one moment-thingy towards the end of "A Canterlot Wedding". Just search, "Rainbow Dash Fluttershy kiss" and you'll see what's up.

I don't think it was a kiss. Just a... thing... I would love to think they support homosexuality, 'cause, that'd be awesome, but I think you're over analyzing it.

Edited by Keiichi
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'd like the idea of them slowly putting homosexual ponies in a kids show...I think huh.png

But there was no kissing and your putting it out of context. They were in the middle of battle for celestia's sake.

Aaaand just in case you need more convincing.

(Sorry for the big pic)

post-13901-0-75162800-1372850927_thumb.png

No kissing. Sorry shippers.

Edited by Staticboom
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah. I saw the clip and that does not look like a kiss to me either. As for the sound, it's more like a transition sound as it goes from that scene of RD picking up Flutters to whatever happened next. And yeah, even if it was a kiss, it seems heavily out of context so even I wouldn't take it seriously despite supporting LGBT rights.

Edited by Freedan
  • Brohoof 1

As much as I want it to have been a real kiss, I love FlutterDash, I think it's very, very unlikely that it was.

Besides, you can easily make it look like any characters were doing that with screenshots in the right place.

TwiPie_zps777020a5.jpg

• Brohoof 4

As was said, it isn't a case of denial but the actual structure of the scene itself.

And that's just half the problem with that claim.  Here's the other half: Rainbow Dash isn't a homosexual.  There is no evidence that she is and a lot of circumstantial evidence that she isn't.

Exactly zero of the common Homosexual psychological issues are found in Rainbow Dash, not even minority stress.  And then there's this:

Rainbow-Dash-my-little-pony-friendship-i

I ask you, why is Rainbow's tail so long?  At that liegnth, it would create a lot of drag and slow her down.  Why not cut that determent to her flying ablities?  The easy answer is that mares with long tails are concidered attractive.  Look at all the mares and stallions we've seen.  The mares tend to have long tails, while stallions have short ones.  There are exceptions, but the only reason Rainbow has to grow out her tail is to get the guys to look at her behind.

And before anyone says "oh gay mares would be just as into long tails", there is no evidence supporting that claim and some contradicting it.  Males tend to be more visually attracted, while women tend to be more emotionally attracted.  This general average does not change with sexual orientation.

^ You're overthinking things. The circumstantial evidence you're pointing to really means nothing. Irl, race horses don't have their tails cut for greater speed, which suggests tail length really has no impact on her speed in the first place. And anyways, long hair is no indication of femininity. Plenty of girls cut their hair short yet are very effeminate. Your whole post seems to rely on stereotypes and presenting those as circumstantial evidence. There's really no evidence of RD's sexuality, or anyone else's except MAYBE Twilight and certainly Rarity (her now extinguished attraction to Prince Blueblood speaks for itself).

• Brohoof 2

^ You're overthinking things. The circumstantial evidence you're pointing to really means nothing. Irl, race horses don't have their tails cut for greater speed, which suggests tail length really has no impact on her speed in the first place. And anyways, long hair is no indication of femininity. Plenty of girls cut their hair short yet are very effeminate. Your whole post seems to rely on stereotypes and presenting those as circumstantial evidence. There's really no evidence of RD's sexuality, or anyone else's except MAYBE Twilight and certainly Rarity (her now extinguished attraction to Prince Blueblood speaks for itself).

1: Rainbow Dash isn't a race horse running at 70 km/h.  She's a pegusi flying at frickin' mach 10.  Drag is a huge issue at this high speed.

2: I didn't say femininity, I said beauty.  How many mares on the show have short tails, and how many stallions have long tails?  And the show has twice shown that long tails are a standard of beauty, in the first episode and in Ponyville Confidential.

3: It's not a stereotype, it's science.  Males tend to be more visually stimulated than women, and the ponies in this show follow that pattern.  It's clearly seen in Sonic Rainboom.

1: Rainbow Dash isn't a race horse running at 70 km/h.  She's a pegusi flying at frickin' mach 10.  Drag is a huge issue at this high speed.

2: I didn't say femininity, I said beauty.  How many mares on the show have short tails, and how many stallions have long tails?  And the show has twice shown that long tails are a standard of beauty, in the first episode and in Ponyville Confidential.

3: It's not a stereotype, it's science.  Males tend to be more visually stimulated than women, and the ponies in this show follow that pattern.  It's clearly seen in Sonic Rainboom.

1. Here's the deal tho. We're talking about a fictional show where ponies' physical attributes, that include mane and tail, are based on actual ponies and horses. There's no real need to get so overly technical about this. You're basically saying "because she has a long tail is more evidence she's heterosexual, else she'd have a short tail because that would make her faster" but thing is, if that really was such a thing, she'd have more trouble reaching Mach 10. Prolly never would've to begin with.

2. Here's the deal tho. RD's never been shown to care a great deal about attracting potential romantic interests. I doubt she keeps her tail long to look more beautiful for anyone.

3. The stereotype I refer to is "females keep long hair, males keep short hair." Again, you're overthinking things.

I never thought they kissed, and didn't get why hordes of people said they did? Their faces overlap, and the weird sound is like a whooshing sound from Fluttershy being picked up. That's it! There's nothing more to it! 

Though I wish they did kiss, that'd be so damn adorable :3

Why I think this wont happen. Wy would this happen if its under work management from hasbro and two wtf!!!

XD for real when I read the title I was like ohhhhh clickie clickie.

For now them kissing may only be a fanfic but if Lauren Faust wrote a episode about them being in love then I would be surprised since everything is regulated

(edited)

I think most people agree that this is just a fandom myth kind of thing. I mean come on how can anyone say no to a quick Rainbowshy ship.

post-12750-0-99307000-1372871267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rappy0
  • Brohoof 1

Call me crazy, but I doubt that the writers would put a kiss in there for no reason what so ever. I personally thought it was the sound of Fluttershy being picked up off of the floor. and if it was a kiss, it was most likely a peck on the cheek. I mean i feel like Rainbow Dash is like a big sister to Fluttershy. Even as kids Rainbow Dash stood up for Fluttershy and in certain episodes, Rainbow tries to help Fluttershy in "tough love" sorts of ways. If it is a kiss on the cheek, its an " I'm glad youre okay" kinda kiss

I doubt Rainbow kissed her, its just them getting their faces close together, one of them had their teeth together during any point there could've been contact, and I don't think they where on the same depth within it so even when they got close it was to the side.

I think its just over analysis of something like flash where errors can occur in animation all the time. Just check out "My little Pony, Mistakes are Forever". It will show you how often random unintended stuff happens that means nothing.

I have nothing against homosexuality, and I'm all for Hasbro if they support it, but I don't think this was a sign of their support, more just misinterpretation and over analysis, kinda like the Fluttershy thing with "I'm Gay". 

Nothing against Flutterdash ship either, just it wasn't the reason this happened, or what was even happening.

Maybe I'll go rewatch the episode some, but I think its an over analysis from the times I've seen it.

• Brohoof 1

1. Here's the deal tho. We're talking about a fictional show where ponies' physical attributes, that include mane and tail, are based on actual ponies and horses. There's no real need to get so overly technical about this. You're basically saying "because she has a long tail is more evidence she's heterosexual, else she'd have a short tail because that would make her faster" but thing is, if that really was such a thing, she'd have more trouble reaching Mach 10. Prolly never would've to begin with.

2. Here's the deal tho. RD's never been shown to care a great deal about attracting potential romantic interests. I doubt she keeps her tail long to look more beautiful for anyone.

3. The stereotype I refer to is "females keep long hair, males keep short hair." Again, you're overthinking things.

1: The fact is that there is drag from long tails.  At the speed most horses run, it's negligable, but the drag gets worse as she goes faster.  What reason is there for her to grow out that detriment?

2: So what?  I'm currently not persuing any relationship possibilities; that doesn't mean my orientation has changed.  And low tails are more common in mares than stallions, thus growing a tail out is an attempt to get male attention.  She also has no problem with wearing a dress, looking pretty, or dancing with a guy.  Those all generate male attention, which lesbians don't want.

3: In that case, it is a trend.  I checked and found that mares and fillies tended to have longer tails than stallions and colts.  There are exceptions, but why isn't Rainbow Dash one of them?  As I said, it is a detriment to her carier goals.  I looked at evidence in the show to come to my conclusions.  Stallions have shown to generally be more interested in physical beauty than mares.

Circumstantial evidence is better than no evidence.  There is nothing indicated that Rainbow is homosexual.  I'm not doing this to ruin all the FlutterDash fanfics, just reccognizing that the assumption that she's gay is based on steriotypes.  She's a tomboy that likes rainbows, so she must be gay, right?

I was looking at it from a psychological point of view.  There are several behavior trends in homosexuals, and the subtle route was the best chance at getting a real answer.

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_ponies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_and_psychology

Here's the thing:  There are plenty of long haired, feminine women who are lesbians, and so the idea that she woudl keep her tail that way only to attract stallions doesn't necessarily hold up.

I agree with the sentiment that there is no proof that she is a lesbian, but tail length doesn't really demonstrate anything here.

Here's the thing:  There are plenty of long haired, feminine women who are lesbians, and so the idea that she woudl keep her tail that way only to attract stallions doesn't necessarily hold up.

I agree with the sentiment that there is no proof that she is a lesbian, but tail length doesn't really demonstrate anything here.

But none of them are pegusi racing at mach 5, are they?  It isn't the fact that she has a long tail, but that she has a long tail despite it being a liability.