Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do ponies have electricity?

Harmonic Revelations

(edited)

This is a question that has been bothering me. I mean, I haven't seen it used, per say, so originally I was thinking no. But then I went back and rewatched the scene with the dam.

20120914204814!Hoofer_Dam_S2E08.png

Notice that next to the dam are transformers, which would only be used to transfer electricity. But on one hand, we never see a pony using it.

Or do we?

Fluttershy_humidifier_S01E22.png

What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 8

(edited)

I think they do have electricity but they don't use it since, they don't find it necessary to use electricity for their everyday needs. Since they have magic as an alternative source instead of electricity. They probably use it, when we don't notice it.

tumblr_mco2s8Mnjv1qawvda.gif

DUN DUN DUN!

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

They probabyl don't need any electicity, but they still use it. Probably due laziness :/
As you can see here

SC_47_MLPFiM-15_09_Twilight%27sLab.jpg

Twilight is gathering some accurate information about Pinkie's Pinkie Sense. Therefor she uses a device wich most likely runs due electrical energy. If you look at Twilight's horn you can see, that she isn't using any magic to provide the device with energy.
Maybe we don't see any electrical wires because they run underground. Who knows?

Edited by Blue Bay
  • Brohoof 4

Its probably very simplistic electricity- Just lights and telegraphs and things. 

Think Edison and Tesla kind of Electricity. The fanciest thing they have is most likely the Super Speedy Cider Squeesy 6000.

• Brohoof 1

They do, but rarely and primitively. As said before, they dont use it because they don't need it for their everyday lives. The most pwer using device they have is the Super Cider Squeezy 6000, and even then it actually does run of off magic for the most part.

The electricity was used to power city lights and house lights. It was also used to power ovens and microwaves in Sugarcube Corner. So they definitely use electricity. Maybe that dam is used to power all of Equestria. 

• Brohoof 2

*cough* babsseedmovietheatre *cough*

I have a cold. Sorry.

Anyways, I think that they do have electricity, and it is on par with ours. Twilight just doesn't work at a military base.

• Brohoof 3

Of course they have electricity. The only question is: What level is their technology exactly? And how spread is it's usage? Since Twilight doesn't know about at least the basic funcions of pesonal computers in Equestria Girls, I'd say their technology is not further developed than ours in the early 1970's.

And in case of doubt, there is always:

tumblr_lh1cjnQtA11qbskmvo1_400.png

• Brohoof 2

Yes, ponies use electricity, but nowhere to the extent that we do. There are definitely enough examples of electrical devices seen in the cartoon that the answer to this questions isn't in doubt.

1. Motion pictures...both the full sized theater in Bad Seed and the little projector seen in the beginning of Hurricane Fluttershy.

2. The lamp that Rainbow Dash repeated mashes the button on in Read it and Weep. Also note what appears to be an intercom mounted on the hospital wall.

3. Vinyl Scratch's professional phonograph set.

4. The use of floodlights and spotlights on several occasions.

5. The gadgets Twilight analyzes Pinkie Pie with in Feeling Pinkie Keen.

6. Battery powered items like flashlights and megaphones are also seen. The self-propelled parade floats in Bad Seed may use batteries as well.

• Brohoof 6

I'm sure they have some electronic devices, they just aren't as widely used as they are in our world, because magic can fill many of the rolls we use electricity for. Also, their electric technology is most likely far more primitive than ours, for the same reason.

*cough* babsseedmovietheatre *cough*

I have a cold. Sorry.

Anyways, I think that they do have electricity, and it is on par with ours. Twilight just doesn't work at a military base.

Oh c'mon, my desk has more technology sitting on top of it than we've seen in the entire show. No way they have technology on par with ours.

It’s obvious that the ponies use electricity. Anytime somepony like Pinkie Pie uses a kitchen appliance like a blender or an oven. They have lights in their homes and many other times they are seen using obvious electrical light sources. And there is that dam of course. What is the sole purpose of a dam?

I'm sure they have electricity. Like many have said before, Pinkie obviously needs it to power her kitchen appliances. I think that that's the extent though. Yea they may use it for the occasional light bulb, but overall, its most likely used just for baking. A place like Manehatten however, most likely does use a lot of electricity.

Considering they have movie theaters (Watch 'Babs Seed') and pegasi controlling the clouds, I believe that the ponies of Equestria can use electricity. They just use magic because it is easier and probably cost less money to built machines for.

The Cakes obviously don't have a unicorn assistant who can power their ovens with magic, so yes ponies do have electricity. From what we have seen of the dam, probably hydro electric. Also if you remember back to the moment where Twilight hid from everypony in The Ticket Master, at the end the other Mane 5 instantly turned on the lights after Twilight had just turned them off. You can't instantly illuminate a room that bright with a candle. Obviously electricity is at play in Equestria, it's just not made too obvious.

I'm sure they have music, I mean I'm pretty sure i've seen lights used in the show. I just think that because they also have magic maybe they don't need electricity as often as we do.

They also don't have as many devices requiring it.

Its been used before, like the spotlights in some episodes, flashlights(Which I guess counts). Twilights crazy Analysis device, the light in Rainbow's room when he breaks his wing, and a couple more.

So its certainly present, just not used as much because of the existence of magic being more efficient and handy in alot of cases.

Yes, though I think the ponies use hybridized magic and technology. They can make a few purely technological devices, but these tend to be on par with the 1800s. Higher forms of technology, such as movies, modern sound systems and lighting, video games, and also Twilight's gadgets, are more magic based.

It did strike me as a little unusual that Twilight didn't know how to work a vending machine in the human world. But maybe the inspiration of seeing a vending machine could prompt Twilight to build a magical equivalent in Equstria. There's parts of Equstrian technology that almost hint at cultural tendancies; their highest technologies seem to be for medical purposes and to a lesser extent, entertainment, while the guards are still using spears and armor. Almost like the thought of war is so alien to them that they don't spend a great deal of time thinking up new technologies for killing.

I can see Pinkie using it to power all the utensils needed to make cakes. And everypony using it at night to power the lightbulbs. tongue.png

Yep, they defiantly need it for the ponies who are not unicorns and can't use magic :)!

I'm not sure how much they use it for, but they seem to use it for a fair amount, not quite as much as we do today, but defiantly for things like kitchen utensils and cookers and lights. 

They do have electricity, but magic in my opinion is an alternative source, such as a potato being used as a battery to light up a light. But I don't see anything that has technology in the show, except for Vinyl Scratch's turn tables.

They usually don't use electricity, even when it would make their lives easier, for example Rainbow Dash uses a lantern with fireflies instead of a flashlight when she's reading in the hospital. But they do have the ability to use electricity, because in the same hospital room was a battery-powered clock on the wall.

(edited)

Very interesting topic, it has been on my mind a lot as well.

Notice that next to the dam are transformers, which would only be used to transfer electricity. But on one hand, we never see a pony using it.

Or do we?

img-1620152-2-Fluttershy_humidifier_S01E

What are your thoughts on this?

That radiator looks water-powered to me, with the valve and all that.

1. Motion pictures...both the full sized theater in Bad Seed and the little projector seen in the beginning of Hurricane Fluttershy.

2. The lamp that Rainbow Dash repeated mashes the button on in Read it and Weep. Also note what appears to be an intercom mounted on the hospital wall.

3. Vinyl Scratch's professional phonograph set.

4. The use of floodlights and spotlights on several occasions.

5. The gadgets Twilight analyzes Pinkie Pie with in Feeling Pinkie Keen.

6. Battery powered items like flashlights and megaphones are also seen. The self-propelled parade floats in Bad Seed may use batteries as well.

One could argue that most lights could be gas or magic-powered, BUT:

When there was a thunderstorm in Look Before You Sleep, the lightning knocked out the lights in Twilight's house. That would only happen if the lights were electricity-powered. They then use a firefly-powered lantern. So it's not very consistent.

In Hearts and Hooves day, there was a colt playing a video game on an arcade machine, so yup, electricity confirmed. Dern character limit.

This bothers me. The ponies have CRTs? Why would the tornado instructional film in Hurricane Fluttershy come on a film reel then, and not something like a video tape?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lauren Faust say in some interview that Equestria was deliberately designed to be technologically primitive?

Edited by housedoc

Very interesting topic, it has been on my mind a lot as well.

That radiator looks water-powered to me, with the valve and all that.

One could argue that most lights could be gas or magic-powered, BUT:

When there was a thunderstorm in Look Before You Sleep, the lightning knocked out the lights in Twilight's house. That would only happen if the lights were electricity-powered. They then use a firefly-powered lantern. So it's not very consistent.

This bothers me. The ponies have CRTs? Why would the tornado instructional film in Hurricane Fluttershy come on a film reel then, and not something like a video tape?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lauren Faust say in some interview that Equestria was deliberately designed to be technologically primitive?

The same reason we still have people watching films in VHS today. It's the technology clashing: it takes some time before one technology gets replaced by another one. Meanwhile, they co-exist.