Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Sunset Shimmer?

BlueVeil

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed, but, I really just want to know what people think of her.img-1630118-1-tongue.png  Me personally, I think she's OK as a villain.

i think she was pretty OK actually. altough she could have had more in dept character developement in my opinion.

but then again, the target audience is children, so i guess the storyline couldn't get too difficult.

overall i would give her a 7/10 and i think i'd like to see her again is S4. but not very much.

maybe she'll become the new trixie? or trixie and sunset team up using the alicorn amulet?

there's definitely potential :3

She was sort of interesting. It was kind of obvious what would happen to her at the end but I guess that's expected of a film like this. I hope she'll appear in season 4 as a pony.

I think that she had a lot of potential but was underplayed. I would like her to "return" in Season 4 but only if EG isn't canon so she could have another chance as a villain. Because I think she could be a continuous villain in the series her back stories perfect for that role.

*SPOILER ALERT* After what happened with the defeat of Sunset Shimmer I don't really expect to see her in season four after all she became friends with the carbon copies of the other ponies. If she does come back i may see her having problems getting settled back in to pony society after being in a high school so far and see will most likely not be a villain. So eeyup mellow.png  

I think she, as a pony, has a really cool design and name, but as a villain, she'd pretty lame. 

I mean, what kind of villain cries like a... person who cries a lot.. when they are defeated? A BAD VILLAIN, that's who! 

I honestly think she was pretty lame, as I said above. Sorry to any Sunset Shimmer lovers...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

She's and interesting character, but I feel like many others that in EG, her potential was not met, especially since she is more of a rival to Twilight than Trixie, just look at their names, Twilight Sparkle vs Sunset Shimmer, notice anything? Anyways I hope they expand a bit more on her as I feel like she can become a relatively useful character to the show, but the problem is that it seems that  she is no longer an "evil" character. Of course she can still be Twilight's friendly rival I guess

Also her transformation was sooo lame it hurts

Edited by weegeez

Eh, she was okay. I liked her but the whole transform into a demon, then lose and cry about it saying you wanna be good now is kinda...anti-climatic? I don't know. I still like her nonetheless.

• Brohoof 2

She was a pretty interesting character, not the best villain but still a bit decent. I wouldn't say that she was a good villain or great villain but, I would have to put her between OK and a bit good but could use more work.

(edited)

Eh, she was okay. I liked her but the whole transform into a demon, then lose and cry about it saying you wanna be good now is kinda...anti-climatic? I don't know. I still like her nonetheless.

-SPOILERS-

This. She was an alright villain, but wasn't executed as well as I would've liked.

I don't know if I like the fact that she was depicted as an evil student who left Celestia for greed and power. I mean, I do like the idea, but it's just that it makes/made her reformation at the end much less believable. If she was, say, a bullied unicorn who went under Celestia's wing, but later became corrupted by revenge, then I would find her turn more believable.

However, I still liked her character a lot and hope for a return, whether it plays off Equestria Girls, or is a "canon" debut.

Edited by Alkryn
  • Brohoof 1

Sunset didn't have much originality to her. She was mostly a composition character, mainly taking traits from Trixie and Queen Chrysalis. In fact replacing her with Trixie wouldn't have been very difficult at all.

Really the only unique aspect to her is that she was a former student of Celestia who went rogue. The idea has potential, but all it was used for was to set up the plot. She doesn't bring anything new to the table and overall I found her to be quite lame.

I liked her. She played a good role of being Celestia's Anakin Skywalker in a way. But it was kinda weird that she changed on the spot. Eh, nothing much.

Would I like to see her return? Yeah, but how would that work? Maybe she could come back and be Celestia's student again, but she and Twilight would compete for Celestia's attention? I don't know.

I didn't like her that much. That's just me though. I can't like that type of villian. It reminds me too much of other kinds of characters like that from other movies and such.

Sunset was a pretty good bad guy (girl). She had some rather extreme intentions, and at one point actually said Twilight needed to die, then tried to kill her. Which is more than any other villain had previously done. 

(edited)

I liked her, but I can agree that she needed some more depth, especially concerning her backstory. There was a lot of potential there, and I just feel like she wasn't executed as well as she could have been. For a villain, I thought she fit the role well. Perhaps she was defeated rather quickly, but so were all of the other villains throughout the series, so this wasn't really any better or worse than what we've seen in the past. Her demon form was very creepy, and I think that made her very effective as a believable threat. You could argue that she was a weak villain because she was quick to do a 180 and cry her eyes out for forgiveness, but you must realize that she wasn't born a monster. She's just a pony, a mare around Twilight's age at that. She still had a conscience, and the fact that she had a huge change of heart shows that she's not as one-dimensional as she seemed at first. Also, she also wasn't another cliche villain of royalty like NMM, Chrysalis, and Sombra were.

Anyways, the bully characters are almost always entertaining in these types of scenarios, because they really make you feel something, and that's what makes a strong character. When Sunset stereotyped Applejack by saying country folks really are dumb, I was just as ready to hang Sunset Shimmer as Applejack was. I can appreciate that she was really effective at her role.

I'm also a sucker for her fiery design. For that reason alone, I would like to see her pony form again. I'm also really curious to see more about her backstory, and also to see how she will develop now that she has more or less befriended the Mane Six. smile.png

Edited by Sugar Cube

Having just come back from the movie... Sunset Shimmer disappointed me. I felt that she was a pretty flat character without much depth or implication of depth, and I've come to expect depth from MLP. Having been in love with the design since her toy was first revealed, I wanted to love her, or, failing that, to hate her but be entertained by her, but, in the end, she just doesn't do anything for me. Once you take away her dominating others through fear and/or power, there's just not enough left to really care.

Okay, so Sunset Shimmer was the mane antagonist for Equestria Girls right? I mean like she's not all bad. Although I was a bit irritated bu the fact that all the antagonists I've seen so far in MLP:FIM get defeated. I hope Sunset will appear in Season 4 in her pony form so all of us bronies and pegasisters will get to know her more. I did feel a lot of empathy at the ending of Equestria Girls when she apologized to Twilight of her behavior. I hope she'll become a student of Twilight Sparkle one day learning and discovering her views of friendship.

Sunset's backstory was interesting, being a former student of Celestia who wanted a position of power as quickly as she could get it, but otherwise she doesn't really stand out that much. Her portrayal as a stereotypical mean girl who rules the school was really cliched, and her redemption at the end was really weak. She knew exactly what she was doing and why she was doing it. She somehow obtained a position of power at Canterlot High, abused it like hell to make others miserable, segregated the student body, separated the Mane 5, went out of her way to discredit anyone who competed against her as princess of any major school outing, and took an Element of Harmony into another world, assuming that she knew it was going to make hell break loose on the school's grounds....and yet she wonders why nobody liked her and why she never made any friends. "I don't know anything about friendship," seemed like a poor excuse she would use (being the manipulative bitch she is) to justify all the terrible things she's done.

Basically she's a stereotypical high school mean girl with a decent backstory and confusing motivations. She makes for a very weak villian, in all honesty.

I honestly really liked her. She played a "bitchy" character but she never came off as annoying to me, and I found her personality very affably evil, like a more threatening and less silly version of Trixie.

As for her transformation and defeat, I will agree that I also would've liked to see more time spent on it with some more epicness thrown in, but overall I was satisfied. I personally thought her about-face at the end was very believable and appropriate going by the way I interpreted the events of the final battle (I only ever saw it as her being "exorcised" of all the evil she'd accumulated inside her, and I felt that it was heavily implied that this was in fact the case). I think it works with her "Anakin Skywalker" type of character (as mentioned above) because like Anakin, she was never really evil per se, just corrupted by darkness and black magic. In fact I saw her almost as a deliberate homage to Darth Vader, complete with Vader's similar sudden heel-face-turn at the end.

In all, I really liked Sunset Shimmer. I felt that for a little girl's movie (and let's be honest here guys, is it really fair to expect Shakespeare from this kind of film?) she was a very entertaining and fun villain, and I really loved her role as an "Anti-Twilight" (even their names are synonyms of each other). Though it's not likely to happen, I would very much like to see her appear in S4 with a revisit to her backstory from the movie and act as the new big bad.

I liked her. She was a bad guy in the perfect way for this Movie. Mean High School girl played very well here.

Also

Sunset = Twilight

Shimmer = Sparkle

Think about the synonyms XD

I also think it should be pointed out that if Twi is a princess now and if we see less of her, Maybe Sunset Shimmer will take Twilight's spot in the mane six. Just a thought.

Anyway, i liked her. Evilly evil, you know?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

At first I wondered if maybe they were gonna make her the replacement for the bad Trixie.

She had the same minions and everything. But it turns out she also reformed...

I was sorta disappointed...

Edited by Asbel Lhant

I kinda liked her. She fit the bill of High School Princess. Everyone feared her, she had two loyal followers.But in the end good triumphs over evil (as always) and she loses.

She reminded me A LOT of Trixie as well. coincidentally Snips and Snails also followed Sunset around like they did The Great and Powerful Trixie in Equestria

I like the idea of Sunset Shimmer and have ever since she was no more than a random unicorn toy. A former student of Celestia - whatever the parting terms - offers a lot of worldbuilding and character development potential. Twilight gets to see where she might go from here, we get to hear about what ex-students do in the wide world, and we might get some insight into the ever-inscrutable Celestia. There are bonus points if other students receive completely different types of training due to having different skill sets.

All this kind of gets glossed over - when it isn't outright ignored - in the movie. We don't even get a thirty-second flashback. Why was Sunset picked? What was Celestia hoping to accomplish? Is Twilight a replacement for her? To what extent? Did Celestia learn anything from this? What is Sunset's particular talent? What did she expect to gain by leaving? A couple paragraphs of narration would do wonders for fleshing out our mysterious nemesis.

The whole Sunset = Twilight thing doesn't really work. Twilight is neither power-hungry nor arrogant and shows no signs of going down the same road. They really aren't alike in any way. I would like to see an evil version of Twilight as some point, but this isn't it.