Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on Flash Sentry?

Saddle ~ Arabia

(edited)

He had quite a show in the movie Equestria Girls. So what are your thoughts of him as a human or even in his pony form? Do some of you bronies or pegasisters agree that he is canon?

Flash as a pony:

img-1638223-1-Flash_Sentry_pony.png

Flash as a human:

img-1638223-2-Flash_Sentry_crop.png

Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry together:

img-1638223-3-Flash_sentry_helping_Princ

Note: These images are all canon.

Edited by Shimmering
Older post merged with a few others, updated as Season 4 has since happened.
  • Brohoof 4

Human- That's almost irrelevant...almost. He set the base for Twilight coming to like Pony-Flash. Therefore, he played a vital role in that bit...

Pony- Keep him here!

He better be canon. @-@ I do hope to see more of the guy in Season 4.

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

I actually think he's a pretty cool dude as a pony, but the problem is, everyone who loves Twilight is gonna be so pissed that she is shipped with some guy now lol

If Dashie ever got shipped in the show with some guy, I would probably punch my computer.

Also, I just realized how cute Twilight is when she blushes, holy s**t.

Edited by Champion RD92
  • Brohoof 21

Well I won't mind if he shows up, and I think hes a cool charactor, although needs some development, and him and Twilights relationship is kinda adorable(Exspecially some of Twilights reactions to it and how she gets teased by her friends a little for it, and her reaction to that, overall I find it kinda adorable. not to mention that blush.. :). ) 

However I believe its already been said by one of the producers or someone on Twitter that S4 won't contain any of the stuff from EQG really. 

I guess not everyone would be happy with it, I think maybe its good in a way that the peace shall be kept this way I guess. Plus I guess throwing both this and Twilicorn in might be a bit to much change to work with idk.

Like I said I wouldn't mind it though, but I don't think its happening far as I know.

• Brohoof 4

I have heard from semi-reliable sources (people citing reliable sources) that Flash Sentry will not be appearing at anytime in the future. I think it should be kept that way, I simply do not like him regardless of form. I suppose if he was developed correctly I wouldn't have as much of an issue, but that would almost certainly expand the romance between him and Twi and that is a no in my mind book.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

I won't lie. In EqG, I thought him and that little red-mohwaked kid were cute. No idea if the mohawk kid has a pony counterpart that showed up in the show, but I always had a thing for mohawks and I just thought he was adorable. I've been trying to find his pony but so far am rendered unsuccessful.

But I digress, this isn't mohawk guy's thread.

Yes, Flash Sentry's human counterpart was really cute and I didn't mind him in the movie. So many people were getting their panties in a twist so I though his role was bigger, I was really suprised it was so insignificant.

His pony self though? I'm sad they made his eyes round. It really changed his appearence to me. As far as the FlashLight shipping, I would think a small crush would be cute and add a new layer of depth to the show that we have yet to really see. But I'd keep it a light crush rather than a full-blown love affair just becuase keeping the target audience in mind, it may distract younger viewers. And make older Twifans upset.

Edited by Razzmataz
  • Brohoof 5

I actually think he's a pretty cool dude as a pony, but the problem is, everyone who loves Twilight is gonna be so pissed that she is shipped with some guy now lol

If Dashie ever got shipped in the show with some guy, I would probably punch my computer.

Also, I just realized how cute Twilight is when she blushes, holy s**t.

This is why fluttershy is favorite pony. lol But let's face it. It's kind of inevitable for the show to take a turn down, "relationship boulevard" It kinda makes me sad that everyone is letting these new ideas ruin the show for them. I mean if there's anything I can't understand is that concept. It's like how you eat something really good like chocolate and then throw half of it away. I like to get my money's worth sort of speak

That aside, I would have no such problem with flash sentry being a part of the show. A show for little girls generally will introduce the concept of boys sooner or later. And just like anything that changes it tends to have a sweet charm to it.

It's like discovering something for example:

Before someone invented PBJ sandwiches, some people hated the idea, others loved it. But in the end, was the invention of it a good thing or a bad thing? A good thing for the most part.

I want to see flash more, It'd add a new character to develop and discover as well as perhaps making some interesting new story lines!

THE PRO-BRAD CAMPAIGN

• Brohoof 2

I feel like Hasbro decided to made him just for the sake to having the clichèd love interest for Twilight. And that's it.

And the way of how they fall for each other is WEAK! Something that even the cheasiest of the Disney movie wouldn't do.

So, i hope that he isn't going to appear in the mainstream series just to be there to make Twilight blush.

• Brohoof 5

Oh, boy.

Flash Sentry is probably the most two dimensional deus-ex-machina ever. He exists for the sole purpose of having awkward moments with Twilight and bailing her out when Sunset Shimmer sets her up.

Throughout the movie, you see him interact with her a grand total of... hm... about six times? And most of them are gawking sessions followed by blushing. There was no character depth given to him at all. He was effectively the "hot guy at the school." That was his character.

Ugh, and their romance... What was the point of it? We could have just as easily done without it. It wouldn't have changed anything.

Point is, I'm glad this isn't canon just because of Flash. It's a shame, because Twilight seemed much more certain about herself being a princess at the end, but Flash effectively ruined the entire thing for me.

And the worst part is that I like the way pony Flash looks.

• Brohoof 10

(edited)

bbbzzzzz....

I've already given my criticism opinions on the Flash Sentry...the human version at least. I know this is gonna be weird, and probably contradict everything I said prior, but I honestly don't the pony version. Seeing him as a normal royal guard(and probably not at a high position either) doesn't anger me, or not as much as seeing him as the ultra-perfect-look-at-me-I'm-a-rocker-I-have-an expensive-sports-car-no-character. Plus he doesn't look like a tool, and is actually kinda cute

356428__safe_solo_cute_equestria%2Bgirls

to put it simply

I guess having the pony version literally at the beginning and the end with little personality doesn't bug me as the human version in a lot of the movie being as bland and generic as possible

Still doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't care if he never came back

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 4

I think that the whole point of Flash Sentry in EqG was to appeal more to the target audience of 10-12 year old girls. At this age they are starting to think about dating and stuff (For some reason) so it would make sense to include a male 'boyfriend' type character. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Eh. He's alright. I mean he was an okay role in EqG.

I mean in all of the movies the main-girl character has some sort of love interest.

He doesn't have much depth though.

He's just the stereotypical "cute guy" in the movie.

Edited by Eureka
  • Brohoof 1

He's a nice guy, I guess? That seems to be his only character trait aside from his liking Twilight. I don't have any particular need to see him again in the show. Not opposed to romance in MLP whatsoever, but I don't like how Flash's only role in things is the role of the love interest. I don't mind having love interests, I'd just prefer that characters be people first and love interests second. Many people who even like Flash Sentry don't deny that he was pretty flat and bland, however the solution of just developing him further seems off to me, because the only reason you're developing this character further is so that he'll be an acceptable love interest. I don't really like that way of approaching character development. If there's going to be love in the show, I'd prefer for the writers to introduce a male character, play with him a bit, give him a fun and quirky personality and then go into the whole love thing.

I don't know what to say we didn't see much of him. If I saw more of his personality I would have an opinion but we only know him as a "handsome," stereotype of a high school cool male teen. Maybe we'll see more of him in season 4.

The people who are complaining that Flash wasn't developed enough and therefore should never be in the show DO know that if he was put in the show, he would most likely get more character development? So it's kind of a moot point.

I do agree that Flash was not developed a whole lot, but I picked up on some personality quirks and I see a lot of potential in him as a character.

I also like him better in pony form. Maybe if we knew him better before Twilight went into the human world, people would be more receptive of him.

I think he's a bland, underdeveloped character and I see no redeeming qualities in him. I wouldn't mind if he appeared in the background but he does not deserve a major role in a future episode

Guest Soulful Wish

Eh, a shipping between the two might not ruin the show, if the writers don't make it a huge on going plot, an episode here or there can be dedicated to the possible relationship, just as long as the show doesn't revolve around it.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I would love to see him in the next season. Yes, I get he is under devopled. But if he is in the next season then he could have his own episode for a back story. I don't see any harm to adding him in for a love interest, yes I know it's for little kids. But Hasbro needs to think of the older ppl watching this and add more mature content. But it would make alot of older ppl watching this happier then little kids. Most of the viewers are older, so shouldn't they get more mature content?

Edited by ChibiDragon
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I liked when he:

A: Debunked Sunset's "evidence" against Twilight.

B: Decided to join Twilight in that OH-MY-GOD-KILL-IT-WITH-FIRE dance.

A bit of a cliched nice guy, but he definitely had some good moments.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

I'm ok with Twilight falling for Flash, BUT only after he has recieved sufficient character development and been fully fleshed out.  Like overprotective fathers, we Twilight fans need to know our favorite pony will be treated right (and NOT be re-defined by her romantic relationship).

• Brohoof 1

I'm ok with Twilight falling for Flash, BUT only after he has recieved sufficient character development and been fully fleshed out. Like overprotective fathers, we Twilight fans need to know our favorite pony will be treated right (and NOT be re-defined by her romantic relationship).

This I fully agree with, and I do like the initial reactions between Twilight and Flash in the movie.

Flash isn't going to be in season 4 but from the looks of it he doesn't seem to sit with the theme of season 4 at all. And that is OK. They wrote season 4 way before Equestria Girls was received with positive attention so they didn't want to include any elements from the movie if people were going to go apeshit over it.

I think that while introducing Flash into the show MAY turn things into another Twilacorn or EqG, it would he short-lived. The best way to introduce him into the canon of the show would be to do it slowly, little by little, developing his character teeny bits more before having him pursue Twilight in a relationship.

Besides, Twilight is adjusting to princess hood in season 4. Considering that, she is not ready for a romantic relationship. She has other stuff to deal with before heading in that direction. Which would be an excellent lesson to learn if you think about it.

• Brohoof 1