Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on Flash Sentry?

Saddle ~ Arabia

He's cool. I don't hate him or anything, he's just cool. He did nothing wrong.

But if he dates Twilight, I swear I will assassinate a creature. 

Edited by Assassin/Simon

I Don't mind him as a pony but its going wayyy to far because remember how they keep on bumping into each other and twilight blushes? it keeps on doing that every time they meet I don't fancy flash being all nice and stuff but itll probably upset some fans whop love twilight as well so its complicated to say.

I've said it before in many other topics, especially about Equestria Girls, but I'll said it again. His Equestria Girls counterpart is a nice guy with his heart in the right place. Before the events of the first EQG film, he was the one who broke up with "cruel and dishonest" Sunset a few weeks before Sunset stole Twilight's crown, so he must have wised up and broke it off because he saw how mean she was to everyone. Reformed Sunset in the 2nd film even pointed out how she was just using him to become more popular. As for his pony self, I think he looks awesome in that armor. Granted, there are many other guard ponies with the same armor, but for some reason, I can't take my eyes off him.

While I do understand that Flash should have more back-story and personality to him, I don't understand the constant negative Flash Bash (as I call it) just because of his mere presence of just a few seconds. Can someone explain to me why this is in a calm, civil, manner as if explaining the concept to a child? I genuinely want to know.

I like Flash Sentry. Not because of his character (although there are some fan comics that do interesting things with him), but mostly because his existence pisses some people off.  And the kinds of people who get so worked up about him tend to be people I don't particularly care for, so it's kinda funny to see them throw a hissy fit over it.

I've said it before in many other topics, especially about Equestria Girls, but I'll said it again. His Equestria Girls counterpart is a nice guy with his heart in the right place. Before the events of the first EQG film, he was the one who broke up with "cruel and dishonest" Sunset a few weeks before Sunset stole Twilight's crown, so he must have wised up and broke it off because he saw how mean she was to everyone. Reformed Sunset in the 2nd film even pointed out how she was just using him to become more popular. As for his pony self, I think he looks awesome in that armor. Granted, there are many other guard ponies with the same armor, but for some reason, I can't take my eyes off him.

While I do understand that Flash should have more back-story and personality to him, I don't understand the constant negative Flash Bash (as I call it) just because of his mere presence of just a few seconds. Can someone explain to me why this is in a calm, civil, manner as if explaining the concept to a child? I genuinely want to know.

I think part of it is that to some, he represents what MLP isn't and really shouldn't be about.  a stereotypical "girl movie" high school romantic lead.  There is no purpose to him other than that, really.  Some may take that as an affront to what makes the series great and why they got into it in the first place.  The show takes girly cliches and either turns them on their head or "fixes" them and executes them the right way.  Flash Sentry and the whole story arc around him, on the other hand, plays all that straight.

Personally, though, I don't hate him.  Mainly because he's too bland to inspire that kind of passion in me.

Edited by hawkflame

Before I answer the OP's question, I want to say that I think the REAL reason either Flash Sentry is bland is because most of the other personalities and character archetypes are already taken by the Mane 6, Spike, the CMC, Snips and Snails, the Princesses, Shining Armor, Discord and so forth. Because of this, it would be very difficult to give either Flash a UNIQUE personality.

To answer the OP's questions

Flash Sentry as a Pony:

This version of him actually gets less screen time than his human counterpart.  Thinking about it, I think his personality would be close to Shining Armor's: putting their loved ones first. The fact that Pony Flash is a guard of the Crystal Empire and therefore would be led by Shining Armor makes a lot of sense. While there are many Pegasus guards in the show, Flash's design stands out a bit more to me. I personally would like to have an interview with him about what's it like being a guard. 

Flash Sentry as a human:

This version gets more screen time than his pony counterpart. While I do acknowledge Bronies' hatred of this guy for "being Twilight's love interest", that's not his only trait. To me, it's not the ship tease between Flash and Twilight that I love, It's the fact that Flash is a nice guy with his heart and morals in the right place. Even without the blushing and crushing towards each other, I still think he would have defended Twilight when she got accused of destroying the decorations in the first film and he still would have supported the Rainbooms while not under the Dazzling's spell. Don't forget that it was HIM who broke up with cruel and dishonest Sunset Shimmer a few weeks before she would steal Twilight's Element of Harmony in the first film. Reformed Sunset even said it herself: "Flash is a great guy and all, but I've never really like him like him. I was using him to become more popular." He's such a nice guy that his time being a jerk because of the Dazzling's spell was hard for me to take, especially toward Twilight, even if he wasn't a love interest to her in the slightest!

Twilight and Flash together:

First of all, it was at most, a ship tease. It shouldn't be taken too seriously in canon. I personally think they would make a cute couple, but that should stay in fan works. I will agree that If they want to get serious with a relationship in the show, they'd need to define his personality more.

• Brohoof 2

Human: He's boring and i fear he's only there to hang on Twilight's arm. I wish they'd do something other than toss him in the story every time they need some filler in the movies.

Pony: Give him a personality and something to do. All we've seen him to is stand there and look pretty. Make him Shining armors apprentice or maybe the next in line to be captain of the guard since SA has to stay in the Crystal empire. Give him a purpose outside of just being there.

Twilight and Flash Sentry: I don't really care. It's not a problem for me but either way, it doesn't matter to me. If i had think of a scenario for them to be together, i guess i'd make it that Flash is assigned to be a guard at Twilight's castle for training or something and they get close. It would give them a chance to get to know one another better than they had in the movie. Or that Twilight is invited to some diplomatic meeting and Flash is assigned as her bodyguard.

He could be a good character if he obtained a personality. So far he's been just a piece of cardboard Twilight likes for some reason. If he returns in the show proper and he gets some decent development I could come to like him and I could probably even forgive him for sinking about three ships which involve Twilight, but if he remains nothing more substantial than a potted plant I'll be quite disappointed.

Coming up with a personality for Flash shouldn't be overly difficult. It could be an archetypal personality for all I care, as long as it's done well it will work. But at least I hope he gets something.

My opinion of him in the movies: Waste of space character who might as well not be there.

• 3 weeks later...

@@Ginger snaps, I merged your topic with an older thread on Flash Sentry. In the future please check to make sure a thread doesn't already exist before making a new one.

As for the character himself, I'm not sure why he gets so much ire.  He was just kind of there for me.

• Brohoof 1

@@Ginger snaps, I merged your topic with an older thread on Flash Sentry. In the future please check to make sure a thread doesn't already exist before making a new one.

As for the character himself, I'm not sure why he gets so much ire.  He was just kind of there for me.

I think that's because your obsession with the show is healthy. 

• Brohoof 5

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to Flash. If he's in the show, he's in the show. If he's out, he's out  :wacko: I know lots pretty much seem to hate him but yeah...he's a pretty swell guy in my eyes  :)

There is no foundation of chemistry between Flash Sentry and Twilight Sparkle. They barely know anything about each other. Heck, we barely know anything about this guy short of being overly obsessed with Twilight...he's a stalker.

Edited by Singe

I don't really mind Flash Sentry at all. He doesn't stand out for me as either a pony or human, but I don't mind. They need to flesh his flaws and personality more.

I like his relationship with Twilight, especially since he didn't treat her as if she's weird after the whole video incident. But, I prefer it as a friendship first.

I think we will definitely see more of Flash Sentry. At the end of EG 1, we see Flash as a pony. This very much shows that Twilight and Flash can see each other in the two universes and will probably be at Twilight's side. ALWAYS. unless he turns out to be a jerk in the 3rd movie.

Edited by HumanTwi