Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on Flash Sentry?

Saddle ~ Arabia

I think it's a shame he didn't get enough screen time to have a chance as being portrayed as anything more than a 2D personality.

If he does come back in S4 then I would like to see more personality... or even any personality, but hey being a blank canvas that means he has potential right so lookin' on the bright side.

That's the thing though, he got plenty of screentime and that still doesn't make him look like anything more than a "nice guy" gary stu. That's just him being a poor character, plain and simple.

• Brohoof 3

That's the thing though, he got plenty of screentime and that still doesn't make him look like anything more than a "nice guy" gary stu. That's just him being a poor character, plain and simple.

Perhaps screen time is the wrong phrase, I mean that in the sense that unlike the main 6 (or rather their counterparts) we already know what their personalities are like from the series so they don't need to be fleshed out, Flash didn't have that same luxury. So in terms of overall screen time like over the series yes he didn't get a lot of time to shine. But I guess I could understand why you would say that.

Edited by Scrumpy

Flash for like MAYBE five minutes of screentime. Maybe.

Still says blank canvas to me. He is a nice guy who plays guitar, isn't afraid to do weird shit like Twilight's crazy horse dance, doesn't like it when the wrong person is blamed for doing something bad, he is a little bit of a clutz himself, and you gotta admit, "One no would have been fine..." is a great line. I don't know about you but I didn't predict it.

Sure, five minutes is enough time to introduce that much about his character. But did any of the mane 6 except maybe Twilight and Fluttershy (the latter whose shyness is obvious, although other flaws get introduced later) get introduced in 5 minutes with flaws present and accounted for? A Gary Stu is essentially a male character without human flaws that matter. There was simply no time in the movie to flesh out on any of his flaws. If there was, it would have been done.

But no one would want to see actual character development from him anyways because then the movie would then no longer be about friendship and even though Twilight's friends would still be more significant in the movie, adding 2 more minutes of Flash development would have made people upset~

• Brohoof 1

But no one would want to see actual character development from him anyways because then the movie would then no longer be about friendship and even though Twilight's friends would still be more significant in the movie, adding 2 more minutes of Flash development would have made people upset~

People, like me, were going to be upset regardless. You might as well go all out.

Perhaps screen time is the wrong phrase, I mean that in the sense that unlike the main 6 (or rather their counterparts) we already know what their personalities are like from the series so they don't need to be fleshed out, Flash didn't have that same luxury. So in terms of overall screen time like over the series yes he didn't get a lot of time to shine. But I guess I could understand why you would say that.

Well, it's good that we all understand. I mean give him a club, an interest besides guitars, Something! Real people have more than one interest!

• Brohoof 1

Below is what I said in the Twilight/boyfriend thread.

One of the big issues is that there are really two Flash Sentry.

First is the Guard, but we only see him in three scenes: introducing Twilight, on duty in the castle at night, and walking in the hallway and getting bumped into. Not much to like or dislike. My guess is he's an officer (not captain, but a lower ranked officer) simply because I'd not think an average guards pony would be asked to announce a new Princess. Since he is a guard, and perhaps an officer, he's an adult and not a teenager in Equestria. Third it would sorta make sense that Twilight might be inclined to like a Guard since she's been around them her whole life, the brother she worships is the former Captain, and who else might have the balls to date a princess.

Now we have the human Flash who is a teen rocker. Again not much to say good or bad about him. He helped Twilight and made an effort to get to know her and asked her out, was rejected, but didn't give up and eventually danced with her at the big dance...big Pinky breath. Pretty much he was an average teen boy who is likely popular in the school and with the girls. We also know he dated Sunset Shimmer, but he dumped her which is a good sign I think.

The point I'm making is the human Flash has no real connection to the pony Flash, so I'm not sure if anybody can say it's a bad idea until we see more of him. Now if somepony dislikes the idea of her being romantic at all or being parred up with a guy because they "love" some writers, or their own, shipper fantasy that's different I guess. I honestly despise any of the fanon shippings, but I also dislike any fanfic that doesn't go along with the show at least to a degree. But those reasons are better than disliking a character we know nothing about.

• Brohoof 1

I personally think that he is a decent character. Since he was pretty important in the movie, I think that they should have developed him a little in Season 3 in preperation for Equestria Girls. I thought it was interesting that they made him Twilight's love interest because Twilight has not really shown any major romantic feelings through the series like she does in Equestria Girls. I think that it would be interesting to have him in later episodes. I just fear that if he and Twilight form a relationship, the rest of the mane 6 will get jealous and it will become a major plotline of the show.

i find that flash sentry might just be a way to make a pair with one of the mane 6 similar to Cheerimac. both of them were kinda sudden with no planning by either party. however, i am interested in seeing how they might continue increasing their friendship, if they do decide to continue it. as far as the values thing, which has been the main focus of the entire show so far, i think this would be a good way to show what could happen in relationships.

Well I really liked him in Equestria girls. I would love to see him more in the show and learn more about him. He seems really cool.

I dont hate him but, to be completely honest with you I do think he is somewhat of a gimmicky character. Really his only roll in Equestria Girls was to have awkward blushing moments with Twilight and to bale her out of trouble when Sunset shimmer tried to frame her. He doesn't seem to have a good amount of character development behind him at all... 

Edited by Onylex

I dont hate him but, to be completely honest with you I do think he is somewhat of a gimmicky character. Really his only roll in Equestria Girls was to have awkward blushing moments with Twilight and to bale her out of trouble when Sunset shimmer tried to frame her. He doesn't seem to have a good amount of character development behind him at all... 

Personally I see more to him than that but each to their own I guess. 

(I have nothing else to say so.Imma just type to take up space.)

Edited by Crestfallen
  • Brohoof 1

I Think the human.. ish version was there and playing a decently big role. The pony version however was not there enough, just a little at the start and end. I dislike him as a character and i hope we don't have to see from him again.

380028__safe_meme_flash%2Bsentry_flash%2

• Brohoof 1

I actually think he's a pretty cool dude as a pony, but the problem is, everyone who loves Twilight is gonna be so pissed that she is shipped with some guy now lol

If Dashie ever got shipped in the show with some guy, I would probably punch my computer.

Also, I just realized how cute Twilight is when she blushes, holy s**t.

I know just how you feel. (As a post must be at least one hundred characters long for unknown reasons, here's a sentence to was an extra 5 seconds of your life :P

This is why fluttershy is favorite pony. lol But let's face it. It's kind of inevitable for the show to take a turn down, "relationship boulevard" It kinda makes me sad that everyone is letting these new ideas ruin the show for them. I mean if there's anything I can't understand is that concept. It's like how you eat something really good like chocolate and then throw half of it away. I like to get my money's worth sort of speak

That aside, I would have no such problem with flash sentry being a part of the show. A show for little girls generally will introduce the concept of boys sooner or later. And just like anything that changes it tends to have a sweet charm to it.

It's like discovering something for example:

Before someone invented PBJ sandwiches, some people hated the idea, others loved it. But in the end, was the invention of it a good thing or a bad thing? A good thing for the most part.

I want to see flash more, It'd add a new character to develop and discover as well as perhaps making some interesting new story lines!

THE PRO-BRAD CAMPAIGN

I agree, and another point on what bronies think with this show.  haven't we thought something was bad before and it ended up being really good?  like Alicorn Twilight? and Equestria Girls? and why are we shutting down these ideas before they even begin.  im all for Flash Sentry, also I thought about them making Equestria Girls TV series but on a different less Little Girl oriented Channel, like Nicktoons or something that could have that love interest.

• Brohoof 1

They didn't handle the pony version of him that well. If we had seen more of him instead of his human counterpart; I think I would've liked him more and think his relationship with Twilight would have better chemistry.

So far I'm not liking the whole Twilight having a crush on a pony she barely knows. It just doesn't make sense.

• Brohoof 2

They didn't handle the pony version of him that well. If we had seen more of him instead of his human counterpart; I think I would've liked him more and think his relationship with Twilight would have better chemistry.

So far I'm not liking the whole Twilight having a crush on a pony she barely knows. It just doesn't make sense.

But see the Pony version wasn't important to the movie, the movie was about her learning to adjust to this new world. Flash wasn't given a chance to become a developed Pony Character, now they left it open so that he could, and I think Twilight would love the idea of flash coming back :3

• Brohoof 1

But see the Pony version wasn't important to the movie, the movie was about her learning to adjust to this new world. Flash wasn't given a chance to become a developed Pony Character, now they left it open so that he could, and I think Twilight would love the idea of flash coming back :3

Hmmm I dunno. Pony Flash Sentry was just tacked on you know? That's kind of why I didn't like it. They mine as well should've just made him go with Twilight to the human world so that way the two would've spent some time together. That would've made the crush less weird.

Hmmm I dunno. Pony Flash Sentry was just tacked on you know? That's kind of why I didn't like it. They mine as well should've just made him go with Twilight to the human world so that way the two would've spent some time together. That would've made the crush less weird.

But Flash wasn't meant to go back, nor could he, if you go back to the beginning of the movie,  Celestia says that only Twilight can go through for fear of their Counterparts colliding, ie. Human Flash and Pony Flash.   I thought the ending was very cute with her friends making fun of her crush on flash.

But Flash wasn't meant to go back, nor could he, if you go back to the beginning of the movie,  Celestia says that only Twilight can go through for fear of their Counterparts colliding, ie. Human Flash and Pony Flash.   I thought the ending was very cute with her friends making fun of her crush on flash.

Yeah I know :P but imagine how much dialogue the two would've gotten if they were alone for that long. I just hope season 4 can establish some things instead of raising more questions than it does answers. Then again sometimes that is a good thing.

And yeah I thought Twi's friends teasing her about her supposed crush was quite humorous especially since she denies it. (Even though Twilight x Spike is one of my OTP's!!!)

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I know :P but imagine how much dialogue the two would've gotten if they were alone for that long. I just hope season 4 can establish some things instead of raising more questions than it does answers. Then again sometimes that is a good thing.

And yeah I thought Twi's friends teasing her about her supposed crush was quite humorous especially since she denies it. (Even though Twilight x Spike is one of my OTP's!!!)

This really does put a twist on things, but Hasbro's Twist have worked out well for MLP so far, honestly the movie was great, they even said that they sold out in a lot of Theaters on opening day. so back to Flash, its a cliffhanger, and a skillfully placed cliffhanger. for all we know, they could have made this movie just for the Bronies, it does take place in High School, either way Flash should come back, oh another note before I log off, I like how he transitioned from his Cool but Kind human form to his Castle Guard Pony form, I think that was a good idea. Lady Rainicorn you are very fun to debate with.

I don't even buy the romance in the "human" world. A guy shows up, bats his eye lashes and suddenly you're head over heels in love? And as for her having a crush on the pony....why? The "human" version was from an alternate universe, what could they possibly have in common?

That questions means a lot more when you realize that Flash and twilight had awful chemistry even in the other world. Remember Star Wars, when Anakin and Padme were apparently in love, but the acting was so bad that you couldn't buy it for a minute? It's a lot like that, only blander. Flash brings nothing to the table besides apparently being cute, right? What common ground do they have, what interest do they share? Their love is so shoehorned and forced.

And It's kind of bad for Twilight's character as a whole when you notice that out of all the possible archetypes she could fall for, it's the "cool" kid with the jacket, the weird haircut, and the guitar that wins her over. Because that just says to me that Twilight must be as shallow as the grave. I always hoped that she would be interested in a fellow nerd instead of a jock, like that Einstein pony, because this just feeds this idea that all girls are attracted to the generic popular kid. I am so disappointed.

Edited by Mzukiller
  • Brohoof 3

Personally, I was liking him. He was cool as a human, but even more awesome as a pony. I mean, that face his pony version made at the end was soo cute! :P I was liking that Twilight had a crush on somepony.

But speaking of his character: I thought he was nice. He was giving off a friendly and sweet personality. Kind of strange to make a rather big deal of a character just to get rid if him later though. But yeah, I like him.

Meh, never really liked him that much. I'm hoping he stays in the movie and isn't in the show. I don't think Twilight having a possible love interest/boyfriend is "age" appropriate. We have to remember that the desired demographic are children, and adding relationships to the show is, in my opinion, a bad move.

Still though, it's nice they acknowledged that Twilight is still a girl, and she does have interests.

• Brohoof 1

I just finished watching the movie. All the bad things about Flash Sentry made it seem like he was going to be actually significant. He barely did anything, but the movie would have been better without. He literally has no purpose in the movie except for being there just 'cuz.

• Brohoof 1