Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Were Some Flaws You Saw In Equestria Girls?

Remi

Their skin color. It was really creepy seeing purple, pink, orange, pale, and cyan.

It was like watching an episode of Doug.

doug-old-school-nickelodeon-20539311-102

The movie wasn't an entire failure, a good amount of people went to go watch it when It was out in theaters. It wouldn't be coming out on DVD if it was a total failure.

• Brohoof 1

@,

I don't like being redundant, so something "new", at least in here.

Flash Sentry.

I don't even know how I'm supposed to express my opinion on that character.

Generic, poorly characterized, quasi-deus-ex-machina-user. Ugh. Terrible. Horrible. It's not even about the whole flirt-thingy in general, it's simply the way it is presented and the lack of depth of this guy.

What? Love at first sight? Hmm... "valid" point. But come on. Forced blushing sequences. "Nerdy-girl" Twilight gets the Mr-good-looking. Cliche.

He didn't even express the justified suspicions he simply had to have about Sunset Shimmer being the one who made up those shopped images.

He was just awful. That's how I see it.

I think the justification was that him and twilight where kind of "good friends" by this point in the film, and he also knows sunset will do anything to get her way by this point :P.

Although it was cliché, It was to be expected in this type of film aimed at the audience it was aimed at. I also like to an extent that they didn't try and elaborate to much on this, it would have been a waste of time in my eyes and they did well for a film that is only 1h12m long :P

They are bringing out a annual in October (that I might buy) that is about EQ girls so it might be better fleshed then?

• Brohoof 1

K i just thought of one more that bothered me now, it seens first off they reduced the age of the ponies(i know no offical age was given but they all seem to be out of school in the show) and they seem to have upped the age of the CMC's why are they in high school?

• Brohoof 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the elements of harmony like a old story to Twilight in th first episode that she had to research, how did Sunset know everything about them then? I may be wrong on this one not too sure gonna have to rewatch the first episode

and if that aint a flaw i didn't spot Cloud Chaser human flaw.... even if she was there

Sunset was Celestia's former student. She was taught about the Elements of Harmony. It is pretty obvious if you listen closely.

• Brohoof 1

I need to rant a bit,

as a fan of MLP:

I'm dissapointed with this movie. This movie got two flaws : the idea flaw, and the plotline flaw.

As an idea, the flaw is this movie itself whose theme is centered around the humanized version of each pony. I get it theme is still the same , about friendship , I like it, but at the same time , the way they delivered it is not on my taste . I want my little pony , not my little girl in highschool setting. I want fantasy , not reality in the real world. I felt like watching the G 2 or G 3 pony ( I forgot which one) whose theme was more focused on romantic relationship between teenager, and I really loathed it. Where's the fantasy?

As a plotline, I don't want to point out everything, just one glaring flaw: why the hell Twilight suddenly became the student and the principal / teacher did not even questioned her , where she came from, and they just somehow accepted her as a student ... it's a trivial flaw , and I don't mind to overlook it, but at the same time I do think the script writer just wanted to throw everything just to fit the schoolgirl theme even though there are a lot of small plothole here and there.

Then again, It's like my imagination of equestria and its fantasy world is getting ruined by watching the "alternate reality" world which is our present world. If they want to make movie , they should have use the storyline as a "bridge" between season 3 and 4 , not being sidetracked to the "alternate world".

Now, from the marketing side, I kinda understand why they made it like this , it is to cater the new market audience : teenager girl , they want more of them to get into this series, thats why they made each pony looked like human girl so these teenager girls have something to relate themselves to. But for me, I like it far far better when they are in the pony version.

On the side note:

I kinda get it why the original creator has said that the series has been deviated from what she intended to be ,and this movie is the prove. Now I am really worried as how the next season is going to be , I hope they do not take the same approach as this movie did. They should gone back to the root again, what is the original creator intended with MLP G4, and not trying to ruin the series by giving another "fresh" idea that isn't fresh anymore. I don't know what happened inside the Hasbro studio, and how the system works behind the scene, between the marketing department, animators, and the story writer, but whoever proposed this highschool girl idea needs to consult first with Faust. I get it Faust has left the team, but is it that hard to ask the suggestion about the storyline to the G4 creator?

I sensed a discord / disharmony of idea behind the scene. I do still hope that they somehow can fix this in season 4 even without Faust anymore.

• Brohoof 2

I didn't like how Applejack and Rainbow Dash were wearing skirts. It just seemed rather out of character for them. Spike as a dog kinda seemed unnecessary to me. He probably would have fit in just fine with the CMC. I was also hoping that the characters would have human names, but I suppose that would get somewhat confusing.

• Brohoof 1

I'm really terrible at discovering plot holes and such, but what did annoy me was that towards the end when (I can't remember exactly how it happened) the element of magic is rolling on the ground and I think spike was after it, the entire mane six were just watching it go, and not doing anything about it. It was like they vanished from existence for 10 seconds or something. I can't remember exactly how it happened, but I do remember just sitting there, staring blankly and thinking "why isn't anybody doing anything?!"

• Brohoof 2

I did enjoy the movie, but there are way too many plot holes to count.

As previously stated, Sunset would be capable of using the crown, as she was, at one point, intended to be the Element of Magic. However, it's been stated repeatedly that all of the Elements, including the crown, are powerless without all of others.

Turning into a demon using the crown, and using mind control powers, was just overly goofy.

• Brohoof 4

Oh c'mon, that's hardly a "flaw". Would you really expect them to perfect details as little as that? There's probably tons of tiny things in the movie that you point out and pick for hours on end the inner problems of them and.. Ugh! Love the movie for what it is!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

What Were Some Flaws You Saw In Equestria Girls? Thread.

**NOTE: THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS, SO IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE, DO NOT SCROLL ANY FURTHER.**

Hello everypony, the point of this thread is to discuss some flaws you might have spotted while watching Equestria Girls.

Well, I will start off with a flaw I saw.

Towards the end of the movie, Sunset Shimmer threatens to break the mirror/portal to Equestria with a sledge hammer. However, pretty much anything can go through the portal, so wouldn't the sledge hammer go through the portal as well?

img-1658915-1-4ywJAzK.png

What were some flaws you found?

img-1658915-2-when-someone-lurks-over-yo

Well, about the sledge hammer, thing, I'll admit, that would be funny if a sledge hammer went through the portal! And then not so funny when it would hit somepony in the face. But maybe she was going to get rid of the frame, which would also dissolve the portal... possibly. That's my theory.

The only problems I saw in it were that all the girls seemed to be wearing really really really short skirts and pants.  Know I know that its popular today to wear that crap but It did feel weird seeing all the characters wearing that.

You're right, most of them did wear skirts. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were wearing capris though.

You have a point though. I don't see why Applejack wears a skirt, let alone Rainbow Dash. Maybe Rarity made them wear them or something. I really have no idea.

Edited by True Rarity
  • Brohoof 1

When Twilight walked out of "Principal" Celestia's office, Spike asked her why she didn't just tell her that the crown was her's and ask for it back. Twilights answer was that "Imagine if one of THEM showed up in Equestria saying they came from a place filled with tall blushy two-legged creatures with THESE?" (pointing at her hands). How does saying that the crown was her's equate to humans coming into Equestria? It's like saying "I'm going to eat cheese and then get syphilis because of it!". It doesn't make sense

Another thing is when Vice-Principal Luna is accusing Twilight of trashing the gym, somehow she doesn't notice that the images were cut out with scissors and taped on the page. It's pretty much Stone Age photoshopping.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

A minor flaw in the story is the fact Twilight Sparkle doesn't seem to be able to use her wings. This is a problem because at the end of the final episode of MLP: FIM Season 3, she appears to be flying with clear ease. Did anyone else notice this? Because It's a small flaw I needed to point out. Hilariously enough, The Twilight Sparkle imponyator from "Ask Twilight Sparkle" had filled in the flaw, claiming she crashed after the cut.  

Edited by Theawesomechief
  • Brohoof 1

You know, now that I think about it and have rewatched some parts of the movie, there were a lot...

-there was no world building, it seemed as if that entire dimension revolved around the high school

-the high school had no classes

-most of the music is subpar save for Helping Twilight Win the Crown(which, despite being a good song, also has some issues like the human main 6 suddenly knowing their elements in the lyrics before even using them, and quite a lot of blatant butt shaking)

-The animation and designs look a bit weird to me, at times

-everything about the movie just feels rushed in general

I mean, I did like the movie in an entertainment sense, but it really does not tell a great story in my opinion. :huh:

• Brohoof 7

Biggest flaw hoofs down would be the portal/alternate dimension gateway itself. Why does Celestia have something like this? Does she simply go vacationing there every 100 years? How did she come across this? When did it show up?

This becomes a flaw to me because it leaves out alot of needed explanations. To have it just be there is like saying I have superpowers because the writer said so. Heck, even with Pinkie's magic sense and forth wall breaking we at least get an episode trying to cover it.

• Brohoof 3

Vice principal Luna was quite stupid for believing that the photographs were legit. That interrogation scene with Twilight just felt forced and unnecessary. It was also stupid that she did not punish/interrogate Sunset considering that she was the one who had the photos.

Thinking about the question Sunset asked Twilight about elements in another world and the fact that she said she was going to go through the portal to conquer Equestria, the plan really confused me. Wouldn't she turn back into a pony after arriving in Equestria since the element of magic will be back in the world it came from?

• Brohoof 4

Biggest flaw hoofs down would be the portal/alternate dimension gateway itself. Why does Celestia have something like this? Does she simply go vacationing there every 100 years? How did she come across this? When did it show up?

This becomes a flaw to me because it leaves out alot of needed explanations. To have it just be there is like saying I have superpowers because the writer said so. Heck, even with Pinkie's magic sense and forth wall breaking we at least get an episode trying to cover it.

I have a better question(s).

Why Celestia didn't put some kind of defense on that thing? Is just so damn stupid to leave a portal without anything to at least warn her if someone is using it. And why she didn't even tried to bring Sunset back in the dimension? And why she, despite knowing that Sunset did go in the portal and is pretty possible that she turn back with evil intention cause, like she stated, Sunset became evil? Sunset could have killed Twilight in her sleep, and nobody could have done anything, cause her friends were sleeping and the guards are just so uncompetent idiots.

• Brohoof 3

I think the understanding about breaking the glass with the hammer was that if you destoryed the top of it the rest would start to crumble and fall apart, But that's just a guess.

I have a better question(s).

Why Celestia didn't put some kind of defense on that thing? Is just so damn stupid to leave a portal without anything to at least warn her if someone is using it. And why she didn't even tried to bring Sunset back in the dimension? And why she, despite knowing that Sunset did go in the portal and is pretty possible that she turn back with evil intention cause, like she stated, Sunset became evil? Sunset could have killed Twilight in her sleep, and nobody could have done anything, cause her friends were sleeping and the guards are just so uncompetent idiots.

She said that she wanted sunset to return to her on her own accord, hoping that when she did she'd be a better pony to everyone else. She apperently didn't expect her to come back through evil.

• Brohoof 1

She said that she wanted sunset to return to her on her own accord, hoping that when she did she'd be a better pony to everyone else. She apperently didn't expect her to come back through evil.

Well, good thing that she didn't come back more evil, otherwise she may have murdered Twilight in her bed. And still, leaving nothing at all to warn her if she goes through the portal? Thats a new level of dumb. And even if it wasn't Sunset, what could stop any being to going to the human world into the pony? Leaving such thing with NO SECURITY at all is almost like welcoming bad things to happen.

• Brohoof 1

Loved the movie, but here are my comments:

How does Twilight not know how to fly? She flew in the Season 3 finale with ease, so she should be able to fly now.

Someone PLEASE tell me that they also thought the theme song sounded like it was fanmade.

How did Twilight know to switch to everybody immediately after almost saying everypony when she has no idea what terms humans use (also, there was no time where any word relating to "human" was used in the movie).

Princess Cadence was not shown in the human world.

Shining Armor wasn't shown at all in either world, along with any other previously known villains except for Trixie.

And finally, How did Vice Principal Luna not notice that someone literraly cut out Twilight from one picture and pasted it onto another? That should have been noticed.

Otherwise, I loved the movie and can't wait for the dvd.

Side note: I think they should release a sequel of some sort in the next 30 moons. 

Sorry about tthe long post. Thanks for reading  ;)

• Brohoof 4

Well, about the sledge hammer, thing, I'll admit, that would be funny if a sledge hammer went through the portal! And then not so funny when it would hit somepony in the face.

Probably Fluttershy for that running gag.

The biggest flaw for me was that Twilight didn't just ask for her crown back from Celestia. Instead, she decided to run for the Fall Formal and do something that would take a lot more time and effort than if she'd simply asked for it back.

Logic = Broken

I believe Twilight's exact response when Spike questioned why she didn't ask for the crown back was: "Imagine if one of them showed up in Equestria claiming that they came from a world full of tall, two-legged fleshy creatures with [hands]. We'd think they were crazy!"

...especially considering their Fall Formal crown looks similar to the actual Element of Magic. I doubt she'd buy the story so easily.

Anyway, I'm bad at plothole-finding.

Only thing I'm really wondering is how Sunset knew the layout of the Crystal Empire so well... knowing exactly where to find Twilight and all.

I try not to let things bother me too much, which lets me enjoy them more... unless there is something painfully out there that's too weird for me. *coughSpike'ssuddenincreasedclumsinesscough*

• Brohoof 1

I could go on for ages (I personally still really dislike the movie ^_^ ) but these things bugged me the most about it.

Why the hell did Sunset Shimmer go to the human world?! What is she gaining from it?

"Oh, my teacher picked another pony over me, I'm gonna drop out, go to the Crystal Empire, go through this portal into the human world and become a huge bitch, then come back after everyone is terrified of me to steal Twilight's crown and get an army of humans to bring with me to Equestria so I can defeat Celestia"

I'm pretty sure Celestia could take her down pretty quickly.
Plus, there's Luna, Cadance, Shining Armor, Twilight, the rest of the mane 6, Discord, all the damn guards from the Empire and Canterlot, and a boatload of ponies who love Celestia.
Yah. Good luck Sunset.

I SERIOUSLY doubt the security in the Empire.
One thing that really bugged me (and this I argued with my friend about) is that Sunset got away with the crown.
Twilight had TONS of time to easily get it back.
1)Levitate the damn thing out of her bag.
2)GRAB HER TAIL WITH YOUR MAGIC LIKE YOU'VE DONE BEFORE. (RD in Lesson Zero)

Twilight was very out of character.
She could've found the crown and gotten the hell out of there.
I'd probably punch Sunset in the face first, but I'd still get the hell outta there.

This is probably what bugs me the most;
How did Sunset know that Twilight became Alicorn princess?!
She's been in the human world.
Twilight became Alicorn Princess VERY recently.
How did Sunset know?!
And how did she know Twilight would be in the Crystal Empire? And know which room?

And, for that matter, how did she even know her way AROUND the Crystal Empire? It also returned very recently. She wouldn't have been aware of it's existence.
She's been in the human world for the past 30 moons (which is a very long time. (Approximately 819 days, unless the moon cycles work differently in Equestria) Unless they were trying to imply that Sunset was in Equestria for 30 moons, but then how would everyone in the alternate world still be terrified of her?).
She would have absolutely ZERO knowledge about Twilight being Princess.
And zero knowledge that the Empire is all happy and light again.
How would she know Twilight would be there?!

One other thing that I also argued on;
Flash Sentry is yellow/orangeish.
Have you EVER seen a Guard Pony that wasn't White or Grey?
Seriously, (unless they're coloured differently in the Empire, I wasn't really paying attention), why is he orange?
I read in a fanfiction once that the helmets/armor are enchanted, and makes all the guards look alike.
But, even then, why is Flash orange?
And if the enchantment thing isn't true, where the hell do they find all these lookalike ponies?

Sunset was also a pretty horrible character. Her backstory was bad/not well enough explained.

And the demon thing at the end was just..gah.

Other things I didn't like are just nitpicks, like how predictable the movie was, how cliche it was, how Luna's human counterpart was a complete idiot, how she was wearing pink, the pacing..

I just didn't like the movie in general. The only reason I don't completely hate it is because Princess Luna actually had lines that were relavant to the plot. ^_^ 

• Brohoof 5

@,

You raised pretty much everything wrong with the movie, with the exception of the issues with the crown.

With that said, the backstory comic for Sunset Shimmer explains the first question... sort of, but all the rest of the points are valid.

• Brohoof 4

Well, good thing that she didn't come back more evil, otherwise she may have murdered Twilight in her bed. And still, leaving nothing at all to warn her if she goes through the portal? Thats a new level of dumb. And even if it wasn't Sunset, what could stop any being to going to the human world into the pony? Leaving such thing with NO SECURITY at all is almost like welcoming bad things to happen.

I am pretty sure Celestia has proven many times that she is not the most competent leader. Villains always returning and defeating her, using her subjects to do her clean up, just saying tia is not very reliable in most situations. 

• Brohoof 1

I overall thought it was a great movie but the show is far by better. I mean if they were humans all the time would you even watch mlp? Because I wouldn't.

• Brohoof 2