Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Every pro Flash Sentry argument ever: addressed

Hell Patrol

What the title says, this thread will be a compilation of the various arguments, reasons, ideas, fallacies, and flat out fanboy whining that has comprised the mass of the extremely vocal "Pro Flash Sentry" fanbase. It seems to me this fanbase is largely comprised of people who either decided to begin their trek into the show around season 3, or giddy teenage girls who like him for the exact reason Hasbro wanted the tweens to. But let's not go into that, let's destroy these arguments like hasdrones destroy pictures of Lauren Faust every night. (Note that this is directed namely at the kind who support him in Season 4 and future Seasons, but is not limited to those and applies to really everyone who makes these arguments)

1. "You only hate him because you're jealous"

Ah yes, it seems the most common argument comes right off the bat as strawman infested pablum straight out of the internet fangirl handbook. Look, I'll give this argument some credibility as it's not entirely devoid of merit. But this argument fails to show anything, it doesn't argue against the points made by who it replies to, and it doesn't argue for any viewpoint.

2. "What was the point of having him in the movie if they're just going to throw him away"

Nothing. Things don't have to have a point, but in fact one can logically deduce lots of points of why they would do that. Simply put, throwaway characters come and go, it's like latching on to every person who says hello to you at the supermarket. If you attempt to do so you'll effectively find yourself more emotionally crippled than the writers at Kotaku.

3. "They're such a cute couple!"

So? I'm sure lots of people in terms of aesthetics make cute couples.  Even attempting being entirely neutral on the personality we know that this is purely subjective. Simply put, this argument is not even slightly a reason to like this character pairing, especially when this character has all the characteristics of a self-insert OC.

4. "But Flash is so cool!"

Ah, an argument dispensed almost exclusively by teenage girls (Not to say that all teenage girls like this twit, or that all teenage girls are stupid). Yes, I'm sure you're 15 and you lack a comprehensive understanding of the nature of love to even a baseline degree and any man who drives a Camaro, plays guitar, and wears a jacket will win you over easier than the Sonic fanbase. But in all honesty I can say that I'd have no doubts the same teenage girls who fire this argument like a heroin junkie working at a drug clinic would be hasty to express their disdain for a movie in which a male protagonist they liked fell for some large breasted woman with the personality of a pear and the intellect of of a walrus simply because "she's cool!".

5. "The writers need new ideas to make the show interesting"

Ignoring the obvious implications that the writers came up with Flash Sentry in the first place, I seriously doubt that the writers need new ideas or that they need to make a main character have a romantic interest as their only hope for salvaging the show. Look, the writers are juggling enough (and in my opinion BAD) changes as it is. Alicorn Twilight is a pile of guano they already are likely going to need to pump a 13 episode stimulus package into in order to make any sense of it all, and hell let's not forget the great characters which have been relegated to the corner in favor of making Twilight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash episode #6,739. I'm still interested in seeing where Rarity's character goes, or Applejack's, and Fluttershy and Pinkie as well.

6. "Why do you care it isn't canon anyways"

This is the last ditch argument made by pro Flash Sentry people when all else fails a significant portion of the time. I personally hold some other bones which must be picked with this argument, but for now even if I assume this will never be canon. Here's why I care, I care because I support competent writing and believable character motivation. I care because I care about the guidelines set by the very woman who played a massive role in the revitalization of this franchise nearly three years ago. I care because as someone who's watched this fanbase and franchise grow since December of 2010 I want what is the best for its continued propagation. But even so, the promise that it isn't canon is a Hasbro promise. The same people who promised us Twilicorn wouldn't happen because "surprises". Do you honestly think that this is a move they wouldn't do? Of course they would do this, where there's profit there's always someone ready to take the helm and receive that profit.

7. "But Twilight can't just be lonely! She needs love!"

A cartoon character does not NEED anything, they are not living entities with a need to maintain homeostasis. By that logic we should show every scene where they're presumed to be eating in order to make sure that the viewer knows they're getting proper nutrition. Even so, giving a character a pairing (especially in a show created by a woman who specifically engineered the formula to AVOID character pairings) is a delicate process.

That was all the arguments I have to address right now, there are probably more I can think of but this post is already quite long and these are just the ones I've run into the most (I will still likely add more as I . If anyone wishes to level any other arguments at me I would be more than up to a response. This also happens to be my first post on these forums and I'm looking forward to the experience of putting some time in around here to see what the current community thinks, as I've always been rather distant from the fanbase.

Edited by Hell Patrol
  • Brohoof 23

I enjoyed Flash Sentry a bit, mostly because of his color scheme and voice. But starting a thread like this is rather rude and just seems like a way for people to beat down on an already beaten down character. 

• Brohoof 20

1. It is unfair to say that everyone dosen't like Flash simply because they are jealous of him, but there is a portion of the fanbase where this is in fact the case.

2. Hasbro wanted the writers to add a cute boy for Twilight to crush on to appeal to the "target audience" and Flash was it.

3. They could be if Flash was developed a bit more so that he could become a bit more than a character that is there just for the sake of being a love interest.

4. See above but replace "they" with "he" and there you go.

5. You could say that any of the mane 6 having a love interest is not necessary but while it isn't I don't believe that that in and of itself so long as it is handled properly will ruin the show.

6. They might put it in the show they might not I don't care either way so long if they do put it in the show they do it right.

7. Luckily we have fanfics for that so even if the show dosen't have any of the mane 6 in relationships there are plenty of fics where we have just that. 

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 3

I don't have a problem with Flash Sentry. You forgot one argument - people don't mind him because he has a neat character design and VA. I don't love him, I think the romance was pointless and immensely forgettable, but I didn't mind him one bit. I actually rather like him.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

I don't have a problem with Flash Sentry. You forgot one argument - people don't mind him because he has a neat character design and VA. I don't love him, I think the romance was pointless and immensely forgettable, but I didn't mind him one bit. I actually rather like him.

The problem isn't just minding him, look if I hated this stereotypical broski simply because he is a stereotypical broski then I would have to hate Shining Armor as well. The problem is that I hate him as a love interest for Twilight, look if you want to make this intellectual incompetent sports jock who drives a fast car and is a pegasus the love interest of Rainbow Dash, you might just have a case. I'll still be against it for many of my already stated reasons, but at the very least you'll be pairing two characters which emotionally make sense to have in a romantic situation. Because at that point, what you essentially say by making the nerdy bookworm fall in love with the jock who can't spell his own name is that "It doesn't matter if you have a good personality that holds up in comparison to the other person or are capable of maintaining an understanding of world events! As long as you drive a Camaro and dress like a generic 80's high school bully then you should be fine, even if the person you're going to date is a polar opposite of you."

As an individual character without him being a candidate for Twilight's love interest, I have subtle dislike for him.

As a candidate for Twilight's love interest however, I venture into the realm of flat out hateful opposition (for reasons stated in the first paragraph).

Edited by Hell Patrol
  • Brohoof 2

The problem isn't just minding him, look if I hated this stereotypical broski simply because he is a stereotypical broski then I would have to hate Shining Armor as well. The problem is that I hate him as a love interest for Twilight, look if you want to make this intellectual incompetent sports jock who drives a fast car and is a pegasus the love interest of Rainbow Dash, you might just have a case. I'll still be against it for many of my already stated reasons, but at the very least you'll be pairing two characters which emotionally make sense to have in a situation.

As an individual character without him being a candidate for Twilight's love interest, I have subtle dislike for him.

As a candidate for Twilight's love interest however, I venture into the realm of flat out hateful opposition (for reasons stated in the first paragraph).

So your main beef with Flash Sentry is that he isn't the right sort of bloke for Twilight, is that it? I thought he was fine. You don't need to have two similar people to attract - actually, that is incredibly sloppy and convenient. If they'd given a bookworm boyfriend to Twilight, that would have been incredibly stupid and made the character even more shallow. But instead they tried to make him a little more easy-going, with a band and a laid-back attitude to provide a foil for Twilight's overreactions and general bookishness. That I can appreciate, because sometimes a couple is best when they're polar opposites.

It still needs to be said that this is a movie made for little girls who are obsessed with boy bands. If the Brony-Fandom hadn't happened, this movie would have melted away completely. We are looking far too hard into this.

Edit: I'm also curious why you chose to make the Flash Sentry issue your introductory posts.

Edited by Miss Earl Grey
  • Brohoof 6

So your main beef with Flash Sentry is that he isn't the right sort of bloke for Twilight, is that it? I thought he was fine. You don't need to have two similar people to attract - actually, that is incredibly sloppy and convenient. If they'd given a bookworm boyfriend to Twilight, that would have been incredibly stupid and made the character even more shallow. But instead they tried to make him a little more easy-going, with a band and a laid-back attitude to provide a foil for Twilight's overreactions and general bookishness. That I can appreciate, because sometimes a couple is best when they're polar opposites.

It still needs to be said that this is a movie made for little girls who are obsessed with boy bands. If the Brony-Fandom hadn't happened, this movie would have melted away completely. We are looking far too hard into this.

Ah yes, the good old fallback of "but it's just for little girls so let's not have any in depth analysis into this".

I'll pretend that didn't happen and address your main argument instead. Simply put, I very much expected the "but opposites attract" argument to come out of the hangar from the getgo, and I've had my crosshairs trained ready to nail it from the moment I posted this.

The problem is, the idea of opposites attract is that people are just enough that their responses to individual situations are interesting and provide two solutions to pick from, but similar enough in that they wont have a massive conflict on every decision. The problem is, they are most certainly not this. I can not name a single characteristic that they do have in common aside from happening to possess wings. Something which one of them did not have until only several months ago. In fact, I'd imagine that in any real world sense these opposites would not even marginally attract. Especially in a high school setting, I think by now it's common knowledge that those on the meaningless ladder of high school hierarchy who happen to be high on it do not interact with those who are low on it, and it's most certainly the case that broskis really can't stand intelligent or worthwhile women either (Not as easy to get into their pants, have to actually demonstrate that you're not a chode), and it also stands to reason that there's a negative correlation between intelligence and how high you are on that ladder.

Ah yes, the good old fallback of "but it's just for little girls so let's not have any in depth analysis into this".

I'll pretend that didn't happen and address your main argument instead. Simply put, I very much expected the "but opposites attract" argument to come out of the hangar from the getgo, and I've had my crosshairs trained ready to nail it from the moment I posted this.

The problem is, the idea of opposites attract is that people are just enough that their responses to individual situations are interesting and provide two solutions to pick from, but similar enough in that they wont have a massive conflict on every decision. The problem is, they are most certainly not this. I can not name a single characteristic that they do have in common aside from happening to possess wings. Something which one of them did not have until only several months ago. In fact, I'd imagine that in any real world sense these opposites would not even marginally attract. Especially in a high school setting, I think by now it's common knowledge that those on the meaningless ladder of high school hierarchy who happen to be high on it do not interact with those who are low on it, and it's most certainly the case that broskis really can't stand intelligent or worthwhile women either (Not as easy to get into their pants, have to actually demonstrate that you're not a chode), and it also stands to reason that there's a negative correlation between intelligence and how high you are on that ladder.

And I'll pretend you answered my question as to why you're bringing this up as your introductory posts. You're going to set a very bad reputation for yourself on these boards at this rate. I'd dial it down a notch or two - we're a pretty laid back bunch around here, and firestarters generally aren't as well received as they might be.

Excuse me, but opposites do attract. I've been attracted to men I have no business being attracted to since I hit puberty. When I was at the highschool age I got crushes on people who were tall, dominant, attractive, and loud. Now, with years of maturity under my belt, I like guys who are similar to my religious and political beliefs. Everything else is circumstance, but I still tend to someone who's the opposite of me. 

Having never attended public highschool I have no idea how a social hierarchy would work; I'm not at all defending the nature of their relationship. I think the whole highschool setting itself is absurd and stupid, but since it was done there's nothing I can say that will change it. If Flash Sentry had been an actual pony love interest in a strictly pony-only movie, I still would have liked his design and VA. Who knows, their relationship perhaps could have been dealt with better. I don't think it was the fault of Flash Sentry's character, I actually think he's a typical highschool boy and therefore made a decent love interest for a typical highschool girl. 

Again, not his character's fault, its the writing. The writing was some of the worst I've seen in a children's movie, and that's saying something. Terrible writing can make great characters horrible; just look at 90% of all fanfiction ever written about anything. 

Also, when did you ever see an inclination that Flash Sentry wanted to get in Twilight's pants? Bad form. I suppose you could argue that if they didn't "share a single characteristic in common", then the attraction was strictly physical. That could be very true, and Twilight does seem like the type of gal to get hopeless crushes on attractive boys.

When did you ever get the sense that this was in any way made for adults? I maintain that it's still a children's movie. I've never seen someone pick apart High School Musical in this manner, the abomination that it is. Simply because the television show attracted an adult male demographic does not mean that their marketing towards little girls will be swayed. If you want to do an in-depth study of Equestria Girls, then by all means, go ahead. But don't go getting your knickers in a knot because your favorite character didn't get the love interest they deserved. 

If you want to be upset about something, be upset about something that an adult would be upset about, like the writing. Or the animation, even though it was decent. Don't just go whinging off about a non-recurring love interest that had maybe thirty minutes of screen time.

As I see you are simply here to stir up arguments and be upset about something not worth getting upset about, I shall retire and bid you good day. Simply put, I have better things to do than bicker meaninglessly with you.

• Brohoof 10

LOL I can guarantee that you haven't read any of MY posts because I have never made any of those arguments.

I am not going to address the points that you make in any of them because you seem to be under the impression that people who don't hate Flash Sentry are little whiny bitches and the people who hate him are intellectually superior. Your post is venomous towards people who hold a different opinion from yourself and that is not worth a response from me.

I would be HAPPY to discuss why I like Flash Sentry enough to defend him when the haters feel like he wasn't worth a damn. But not if you are going to assume that the only reason why I would be doing so would be to repeat the arguments that you deluded yourself into thinking must be the only train of thought running through fans' heads.

• Brohoof 11

Look, I don't think it matters about the people that hate Flash Sentry since we all have our opinions. The romance in the movie, is something that we could just put to the side and forget about.

• Brohoof 3

There are some things that I just don't understand here...

1. Has there actually been a strong defense for Sentry? I sure have not seen it if there is. I have seen some defend the character, but only as far as 'He isn't bad'. That is about all I have seen...Maybe I am missing something.

2. Even if he is oh so terrible, as far as we know, there will be no Flash Sentry at all in season 4, so you are technically correct, he is a throwaway character. I know you addressed this, but, what else can we go on? All we can do is speculate.

3. Cool your jets. You kinda get a bit...ummm....pissed off with this post, with the tone I am getting from it. I really need to start reading these in Fluttershy's voice. That would be neat.

4. I liked Sentry, despite his blandness. I don't know, he just doesn't bother me like he does other people. We have seen this type of character before. Completely unoriginal? Yes. Insanely and rage inducingly shocking? For me, not at all. He is what he is and sadly he is not coming back I guess. I say sadly because I would love to see more work done with him in Equestria rather than CHS, where he could be done better I assume.

5. I like Twilicorn. You randomly attacked it, I randomly defended it.

6. Sheesh, this thread is negative. I thought we had this out of our systems by now. Still, I am not against discussion and whatnot, it is just really negative in tone. Not just about Flash, but the show overall.

7. I know I am in a minority here, not just with loving the Twilicorn thing, but in supporting the characters actually having relationships of some kind. Mainly because there are good ways to do it subtly. Sure, they would not be too easy with this show, so maybe it is too risky. I acknowledge that fact. Still, for character growth down the line, it would be interesting to see. That is not the main point though, just something I am throwing in there.

Yeah, I am not providing much to this discussion. I guess I don't have too much to say. Like I said before, there is not much we can do except speculate. The writers have said that Flash is not in season 4 so that is what we have to go by because we have no concrete evidence to support the opposite. I guess I just don't want to see this much negativity, mainly because we have seen enough of it ever since MMC.

At this point, I am just leaving him as a standalone character that may or may not make a future appearance. Going with not on this.

• Brohoof 6

"Romance doesn't belong" is a bad excuse. I can name off things repeatedly where the hero having a love interest added to the story. You can't discount entire ideas just because you don't like them when everything comes down to how well it's implemented.

As Tvtropes would say(and love interest is a trope). "Tropes are not bad, tropes are tools.". 

Also, it doesn't even matter because one detailed skim of the post shows a level of immaturity and trying to hard to be witty I don't even want to deal with today. It contains Twicorn sucks, characters suck because they get to many episodes, season 3 sucks, EqG sucks, condemning people that disagree with you as "whiney fanboys", newbies suck, shades of :the old fans are superior", and several other red flags I won't get into.  

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 8

Seconding what @RockinRarity said, I've never heard any of those point being made before, and I certainly wouldn't make them myself. Can you cite where you've seen these opinions? Otherwise, it feels like you've just made up faulty arguments yourself just so you can counter them.

On that note, while I have seen people say they're cute, it was always in the context of "I personally like them because they seem cute to me." As you said, this comment is "purely subjective", and if people like it, then people like it. They're not trying to say "I think they're cute, so YOU need to like it." It's a simple opinion, and they're not trying to write a paper on it.

My main argument is that he hasn't had enough screentime. You might as well judge and condemn Twilight's character after watching the first two episodes. He has potential, perhaps even an intriguing backstory; you can't just say he's shallow and stupid based on what little you've seen of him.

• Brohoof 5

First off, welcome to the forums! I just realized, MLP Forums is a good place to blow off a lot of steam about hate. But seriously! Let's just love and tolerate!

Wait...WAIT!

Wait a moment!

An argument about Flash Sentry? On this forum? Where we can have arguments?

7ca.gif

Anyway, arguments I use:

He has a cool design- You have to admit, his design is pretty wicked awesome.

Awesome personality- I can sense some personality in him. He's pretty much a fleshed out Shining Armor!

Her plays the Electric Guitar- That's enough for me to like him.

They are a cute couple- No seriously. They are really cute together. I really like how they both have crushes on each other but are both too shy to admit it.

I'm also going to say this right now;

I'm a FlashSparkle shipper :3

Edited by Shifting Gears
  • Brohoof 5

Wow this character that played no major roll and was only in the in the movie for 5 minutes is really killing the fanbase... I was just kidding when I said this movie would kill the fanbase but i looks like I was right after all 0_o;

Okay, after this post I'm done with this movie. I don't like this characters why? Why not? He didn't do anything for me to like him he did 2 things in this movie that's it I'm sorry but that's not enough for me. He has no background no goals there is nothing there for me to connect with.

I know a lot of people like him but there are a lot of people that don't. This forum dosen't speak for the whole community like some of you seem to think. Nobody here is going to change each others opinions so just stop it already. No amount of blogs, 18 paragraphs posts, and online petitions (seriously you hypocrites?) or going to make me like him it's just impossible okay so just stop trying to change my mind because you just can't. Just like how I can't change your yours.

He's not going to be in season 4 deal with it! If you want to see him again then write fanfiction, that's what its there for and stop playing Hasbro and trying to make the writers do what they don't want to do! What happened to trust the writers huh?

Seriously is this much drama really worth it for a character that we'll probably never see again? In my opinion NO it's not! Everything was fine and dandy until this guy came up, yeah we had twicorn but that's died down and most people have come to terms with it. All you should do with this character is state your opinion and move on. The arguing that's going on is completely pointless and it achieves nothing but maybe an ego stroke every now and then.

Now I leave you with Can Can Zelda.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

LOL I can guarantee that you haven't read any of MY posts because I have never made any of those arguments.

I am not going to address the points that you make in any of them because you seem to be under the impression that people who don't hate Flash Sentry are little whiny bitches and the people who hate him are intellectually superior. Your post is venomous towards people who hold a different opinion from yourself and that is not worth a response from me.

I would be HAPPY to discuss why I like Flash Sentry enough to defend him when the haters feel like he wasn't worth a damn. But not if you are going to assume that the only reason why I would be doing so would be to repeat the arguments that you deluded yourself into thinking must be the only train of thought running through fans' heads.

Where did I say these are the only arguments running through the heads of fans? My point was that these are the ones which in my time I've run into the most.

Also, this post is not addressed at people who don't hate Flash Sentry, people who are indifferent to him and hell, people who simply like him a bit but do not demand he be added to Season 4 are mostly exempt from my criticisms. As for it being venomous, sure it's "venomous". It presents a viewpoint and advocates it, in direct opposition to another viewpoint. It would be weird if there was not some rock throwing.

"Romance doesn't belong" is a bad excuse. I can name off things repeatedly where the hero having a love interest added to the story. You can't discount entire ideas just because you don't like them when everything comes down to how well it's implemented.

As Tvtropes would say(and love interest is a trope). "Tropes are not bad, tropes are tools.". 

Also, it doesn't even matter because one detailed skim of the post shows a level of immaturity and trying to hard to be witty I don't even want to deal with today. It contains Twicorn sucks, characters suck because they get to many episodes, season 3 sucks, EqG sucks, condemning people that disagree with you as "whiney fanboys", newbies suck, shades of :the old fans are superior", and several other red flags I won't get into.  

I did not discount it on the grounds of simply "romance doesn't belong". Rather the entire basis for that argument is simply- well if you want to bring TVtropes into this let's get one from Lauren Faust's TVtropes page shall we.....

Straight off of the TVtropes Lauren Faust page.

"No Hugging, No Kissing: She made sure that there was to be no romance among the main characters in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, as she considers it to be a major factor in bringing down thousands of girl's shows. Any romance shown, such as the wedding episode season finale, is for side characters only."

As for your skim of my post, let's clarify here. No, I'm not making any attempt to be witty, metaphors and similes are one of my personal favorite ways to convey how I feel about a topic. No, characters do not suck because they get a significant quantity episodes (Twilight being my favorite character), but rather when they get so many episodes they eclipse other ponies is where things begin to suck. As for Season 3, I did think it sucked. End to end, almost no redeeming factors, came out stumbling and walked out limping. As for EqG, I did not like the movie. Flash Sentry aside it was ripe with plotholes, bad writing, poor continuity, no believable character motivation, and bad character design. No, I don't think everyone who is pro Flash Sentry is a "whiney fanboy". I think that those who want him in because "XOXO HE SO COOT, Y WRITURS NOT PUTTING HIM IN WTF" are fanboys (or mostly fangirls here really). No, old fans aren't superior but it seems we've been a hell of a lot more exposed to Hasbro's marketing drivel and have grown tired of their profligate behaviour, and lastly. Damn straight Twilicorn sucks, turning a character into a mary sue is a bad decision, bad writing, and bad storytelling in general.

First off, welcome to the forums! I just realized, MLP Forums is a good place to blow off a lot of steam about hate. But seriously! Let's just love and tolerate!

Wait...WAIT!

Wait a moment!

An argument about Flash Sentry? On this forum? Where we can have arguments?

img-1755124-1-7ca.gif

Anyway, arguments I use:

He has a cool design- You have to admit, his design is pretty wicked awesome.

Awesome personality- I can sense some personality in him. He's pretty much a fleshed out Shining Armor!

Her plays the Electric Guitar- That's enough for me to like him.

They are a cute couple- No seriously. They are really cute together. I really like how they both have crushes on each other but are both too shy to admit it.

I'm a FlashSparkle shipper :3

"He has a cool design- You have to admit, his design is pretty wicked awesome."

Not really, his pony design is basically the definition of bad OC. You've got the "TOTALLY RADICAL" haircut, the eye hurting color scheme, and the "I'M NOT SHINING ARMOR, I'M MY ORIGINAL CHARACTER, FLASH SENTRY" cutie mark.

"Awesome personality- I can sense some personality in him. He's pretty much a fleshed out Shining Armor!"

Now this is just flat out insulting, Shining Armor is another broski sure, and I don't care for his character. But for one, saying that a guy with about 15 minutes of screentime is more fleshed out than a character with about triple that essentially relegates you to the position of being the laughing stock OF the laughing stock. But at least Shining Armor has never really proven himself to be a tool, and sure we didn't get to see a human Shining Armor but if you're making assumptions about seeing personality in him I'll go and make a fair point that I don't think Shining Armor would be that level of tool. Flash Sentry wouldn't be out of place in Home Depot. Also, before people go "Well then how do you dislike him you just said he has no screentime, wouldn't you rather him be developed more so he can be a love interest?". No, I think making a character for the express purpose of being a love interest when in context of the main cast is absurd.

"Her plays the Electric Guitar- That's enough for me to like him."

You sir have bad taste in people if the fact that they play an instrument automatically levels them to your personal status of "I like them".

"

They are a cute couple- No seriously. They are really cute together. I really like how they both have crushes on each other but are both too shy to admit it."

NON-ARGUMENT BRIGADE TO THE BATTLEFIELD, BRINGING BLANKS AND AIRSOFT GUNS TO THE FIGHT. I don't think they're cute together, you do. Your opinion, go for it, take to the skies with the power of MS paint and fufill your fanart dreams.

"

I'm a FlashSparkle shipper :3"

Go for it, none of my business. Have you found a way to make the one with jaundice somehow do something besides play football and dress like Biff from back to the future?

Edited by Hell Patrol
  • Brohoof 1

@@Hell Patrol,

No offense, man, but...

diagnosis-butthurt-1-250x279.jpg

I'm just stating my opinion. This really isn't doing anything to help your reputation. Do you honestly think i'll drop everything and say 'Flash Sentry sucks!'. I like his character, and you have to admit, Cadence and Shining Armor have naught a trace of character. Shining Armor and Flash Sentry are alike, except that expanded on Sentry a bit more. Now, you are just flat out insulting. Making a thread that will just cause butthurt is not a good idea, like, at all. I know you want to vent out your anger, but honestly, look, the TwiSentry group on Deviantart has over 222 members (Exactly that). Sentry is not that an unpopular character. A lot of people are warming up to him. He is not a Shining Armor. 

Look, he dumped Sunset Shimmer and completly went against what the school wanted to do to do what he wanted to do, and help guide someone who can help best Sunset. If that's not character, and the fact that Sentry probably reminds Twilight of her BBBFF, so honestly their romance could work out, I don't know what is.

• Brohoof 8

@@Hell Patrol,

No offense, man, but...

img-1755622-1-diagnosis-butthurt-1-250x2

I'm just stating my opinion. This really isn't doing anything to help your reputation. Do you honestly think i'll drop everything and say 'Flash Sentry sucks!'. I like his character, and you have to admit, Cadence and Shining Armor have naught a trace of character. Shining Armor and Flash Sentry are alike, except that expanded on Sentry a bit more. Now, you are just flat out insulting. Making a thread that will just cause butthurt is not a good idea, like, at all. I know you want to vent out your anger, but honestly, look, the TwiSentry group on Deviantart has over 222 members (Exactly that). Sentry is not that an unpopular character. A lot of people are warming up to him. He is not a Shining Armor. 

Look, he dumped Sunset Shimmer and completly went against what the school wanted to do to do what he wanted to do, and help guide someone who can help best Sunset. If that's not character, and the fact that Sentry probably reminds Twilight of her BBBFF, so honestly their romance could work out, I don't know what is.

Nobody expects you to suddenly think Flash Sentry sucks. Just like I'm sure you don't expect me to say he's good either, it's just sharing opinions. As for if this thread causes people to be butthurt, that is none of my concern. If they get angry so be it, I will not censor myself because someone might be offended. As for 222 members meaning people are warming up to him, 222 members out of a fanbase with even on a conservative estimate about 300k-400k people, let's say 300k. That's 0.074%, sure the entire fanbase likely wasn't exposed to it but chances are the people who found that group went out of their way to look for it. The fanbase was never warming to this character, nor becoming cold to him either. The vast majority really doesn't hate or like him, most either say "I don't want him in season 4 I guess" or "I guess it would be alright if he was in season 4".

No matter what you say people like you and me are a minority, and don't try to play the majority card.

@

The OP isn't butthurt, just highly opinionated. Opinionated people tend to come off as butthurt, so I can see where you would think so.

Moving along...

I agree with the original post, except for the Twilicorn part.

As for the, "Oh opposites attract lol XD"

That doesn't apply here. That would be like saying, "oh fire would totally destroy ice if it went within 20 feet but opposites attract lol :3"

qoute to hold place

I;m just not even doing to debate this tonight, because from my personal experience I can predict it's going to go on for pages and pages of butting heads into brick walls. So I'm going to sift through this once and only once,  

Straight off of the TVtropes Lauren Faust page.

"No Hugging, No Kissing: She made sure that there was to be no romance among the main characters in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, as she considers it to be a major factor in bringing down thousands of girl's shows. Any romance shown, such as the wedding episode season finale, is for side characters only."

I know this is going to get me shot, but we need to get something across here. Lauren doesn't work on the show anymore, she had said that, and said repeatedly to stop hating the other writers because they're not her. She even said during the Twicorn thing that what she would've done is now irrelevant. Plans change and stories evolve. Also, and this is the big one, she's awesome and I'm glad she made the show, but don't act like she's the only talented writer in the world. That's insulting to the rest of the staff and even she would say that/

Also, this post is not addressed at people who don't hate Flash Sentry, people who are indifferent to him and hell, people who simply like him a bit but do not demand he be added to Season 4 are mostly exempt from my criticisms. As for it being venomous, sure it's "venomous". It presents a viewpoint and advocates it, in direct opposition to another viewpoint. It would be weird if there was not some rock throwing.

Learn what tact is, that is all.

No, characters do not suck because they get a significant quantity episodes (Twilight being my favorite character), but rather when they get so many episodes they eclipse other ponies is where things begin to suck.

I would like more variety of episodes, but that doesn't make the episodes we do get suck just because another doesn't get made,

As for Season 3, I did think it sucked. End to end, almost no redeeming factors, came out stumbling and walked out limping. As for EqG, I did not like the movie. Flash Sentry aside it was ripe with plotholes, bad writing, poor continuity, no believable character motivation, and bad character design.

The show has always had plotholes, it's one of the main things we joke about, and there was nothing wrong with the art style, it's a case of subjective opinion because it's quality was fine and it worked on a technical level. You hate it, I like it, nothing else to it. 

No, I don't think everyone who is pro Flash Sentry is a "whiney fanboy". I think that those who want him in because "XOXO HE SO COOT, Y WRITURS NOT PUTTING HIM IN WTF" are fanboys (or mostly fangirls here really).

Your general tone and how many ways you find to insult them says otherwise.

.  No, old fans aren't superior but it seems we've been a hell of a lot more exposed to Hasbro's marketing drivel and have grown tired of their profligate behaviour, and lastly. Damn straight Twilicorn sucks, turning a character into a mary sue is a bad decision, bad writing, and bad storytelling in general.

Two in one blow

1)you just proved my point with that first line, thank you for doing the work for me.

2)Putting freakin' wings on someone does not make them a sue. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 9

@@Hell Patrol,

I wasn't.

And you do realize that that was deviantart, where few bronies go on compared to the entire fanbase, correct? So, I wasn't really trying to play the majory card. Though I do know a number of people who are FlashLight shippers.

• Brohoof 3

Where did I say these are the only arguments running through the heads of fans? My point was that these are the ones which in my time I've run into the most.

1. The name of your thread is "Every pro Flash Sentry argument ever addressed." That's where you said that those were the only arguments running through fans' heads. Unless you have a different definition of "every" than the other people on this forum.

I do not know anyone who is trying to demand that Flash Sentry be in season 4. Pretty sure at this point it is impossible for that to happen. I am disappointed that he will not be further developed as a character in season 4, but I can live with it. All the other pro Flash people I have talked to can live with it too, despite their disappointment.

2. If the post isn't addressed to just anyone who likes Flash Sentry then who in the world is this thread addressed to? Sure the points that you rebutted do exist among fans, but as far as I am aware no one who makes these points makes them as arguments in a logical debate about his character. And if there is anyone who does, those people are rare and not very vocal. I see more animosity against Flash Sentry than blind devotion.

And you can make arguments without being venomous. You do not need to be insulting towards other people and you do not need to make a thread for the sole purpose of "outsmarting" people who have different opinions from your own.

And if you experienced blind devotion from Flash Sentry fans on deviantart, then go to deviantart to make your thread. Telling us on this forum that we need to stop making stupid arguments about Flash Sentry is a little like going to a Bible study full of normal not-crazy people and telling everyone that they need to stop picketing at funerals saying that God hates fags. What you are doing is not as extreme, but still.

Edited by RockinRarity
  • Brohoof 5

Let's face it: Flash Sentry was a forced plot device and made the story for Equestria Girls more convenient to follow.

Not much depth or imagination was given in his conception. He was just there to serve a useful purpose for Twilight's mission in regaining the crown.

He wasn't useless, granted. Though the cliche structure of the film underneath many of its plot devices can make it seem like so.

• Brohoof 3

I have to say that Flash Sentry was a bit unnecessary. The first meeting between them was plausible but the whole sub plot where Sunset Shimmer tried to sabotage Twilight was just stupid.

Luna was incredibly stupid for not seeing the Photoshoped pictures and Flash Sentry's moment to clear her name was also weird as anyone could've done it.

Also dancing with him with only minutes to spare when the mirror portal was about to close was also pretty dumb.

I guess I got nothing against pony Flash Sentry because he's nothing like his human counterpart so he gets a free pass for now.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn
  • Brohoof 2