Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Every pro Flash Sentry argument ever: addressed

Hell Patrol

@Hell Patrol, can you please cite/link these pro opinions you have so often seen? Because as I've stated before, many have not seen or hold the opinions you claim to have seen, which renders your first post useless. If all you have are views and no evidence, then you have no weight to your arguments, and we can justifiably consider the possibility that you're lying.

Therefore, it would be for your own benefit, and for the benefit of anyone trying to debate here, for you to cite your sources.

Sincerely,

A brony who hates pointless debating

• Brohoof 4

What the title says, this thread will be a compilation of the various arguments, reasons, ideas, fallacies, and flat out fanboy whining that has comprised the mass of the extremely vocal "Pro Flash Sentry" fanbase. It seems to me this fanbase is largely comprised of people who either decided to begin their trek into the show around season 3, or giddy teenage girls who like him for the exact reason Hasbro wanted the tweens to. But let's not go into that, let's destroy these arguments like hasdrones destroy pictures of Lauren Faust every night. (Note that this is directed namely at the kind who support him in Season 4 and future Seasons, but is not limited to those and applies to really everyone who makes these arguments)

1. "You only hate him because you're jealous"

Ah yes, it seems the most common argument comes right off the bat as strawman infested pablum straight out of the internet fangirl handbook. Look, I'll give this argument some credibility as it's not entirely devoid of merit. But this argument fails to show anything, it doesn't argue against the points made by who it replies to, and it doesn't argue for any viewpoint.

2. "What was the point of having him in the movie if they're just going to throw him away"

Nothing. Things don't have to have a point, but in fact one can logically deduce lots of points of why they would do that. Simply put, throwaway characters come and go, it's like latching on to every person who says hello to you at the supermarket. If you attempt to do so you'll effectively find yourself more emotionally crippled than the writers at Kotaku.

3. "They're such a cute couple!"

So? I'm sure lots of people in terms of aesthetics make cute couples.  Even attempting being entirely neutral on the personality we know that this is purely subjective. Simply put, this argument is not even slightly a reason to like this character pairing, especially when this character has all the characteristics of a self-insert OC.

4. "But Flash is so cool!"

Ah, an argument dispensed almost exclusively by teenage girls (Not to say that all teenage girls like this twit, or that all teenage girls are stupid). Yes, I'm sure you're 15 and you lack a comprehensive understanding of the nature of love to even a baseline degree and any man who drives a Camaro, plays guitar, and wears a jacket will win you over easier than the Sonic fanbase. But in all honesty I can say that I'd have no doubts the same teenage girls who fire this argument like a heroin junkie working at a drug clinic would be hasty to express their disdain for a movie in which a male protagonist they liked fell for some large breasted woman with the personality of a pear and the intellect of of a walrus simply because "she's cool!".

5. "The writers need new ideas to make the show interesting"

Ignoring the obvious implications that the writers came up with Flash Sentry in the first place, I seriously doubt that the writers need new ideas or that they need to make a main character have a romantic interest as their only hope for salvaging the show. Look, the writers are juggling enough (and in my opinion BAD) changes as it is. Alicorn Twilight is a pile of guano they already are likely going to need to pump a 13 episode stimulus package into in order to make any sense of it all, and hell let's not forget the great characters which have been relegated to the corner in favor of making Twilight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash episode #6,739. I'm still interested in seeing where Rarity's character goes, or Applejack's, and Fluttershy and Pinkie as well.

6. "Why do you care it isn't canon anyways"

This is the last ditch argument made by pro Flash Sentry people when all else fails a significant portion of the time. I personally hold some other bones which must be picked with this argument, but for now even if I assume this will never be canon. Here's why I care, I care because I support competent writing and believable character motivation. I care because I care about the guidelines set by the very woman who played a massive role in the revitalization of this franchise nearly three years ago. I care because as someone who's watched this fanbase and franchise grow since December of 2010 I want what is the best for its continued propagation. But even so, the promise that it isn't canon is a Hasbro promise. The same people who promised us Twilicorn wouldn't happen because "surprises". Do you honestly think that this is a move they wouldn't do? Of course they would do this, where there's profit there's always someone ready to take the helm and receive that profit.

7. "But Twilight can't just be lonely! She needs love!"

A cartoon character does not NEED anything, they are not living entities with a need to maintain homeostasis. By that logic we should show every scene where they're presumed to be eating in order to make sure that the viewer knows they're getting proper nutrition. Even so, giving a character a pairing (especially in a show created by a woman who specifically engineered the formula to AVOID character pairings) is a delicate process.

That was all the arguments I have to address right now, there are probably more I can think of but this post is already quite long and these are just the ones I've run into the most (I will still likely add more as I . If anyone wishes to level any other arguments at me I would be more than up to a response. This also happens to be my first post on these forums and I'm looking forward to the experience of putting some time in around here to see what the current community thinks, as I've always been rather distant from the fanbase.

Dude...no mean to be rude...but I just have one question for you.

Matt_Normal_1.gif

Why did you go out of your way to type out even so much as what I bolded? Flash Sentry is a fictional character. From a movie based on a cartoon. All of which are designed to entertain you. These fans that are irritating you are just a minority of fans. On the internet. They're gonna have their way regardless of what you say. None of it matters at the end of the day.

But I won't lie, these comments are pretty fun to read.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

@Hell Patrol, can you please cite/link these pro opinions you have so often seen? Because as I've stated before, many have not seen or hold the opinions you claim to have seen, which renders your first post useless. If all you have are views and no evidence, then you have no weight to your arguments, and we can justifiably consider the possibility that you're lying.

Therefore, it would be for your own benefit, and for the benefit of anyone trying to debate here, for you to cite your sources.

Sincerely,

A brony who hates pointless debating

So you want me to go through my past two months of search history to find all the forums, videos, and pages that I've seen these arguments on? You know what, I think I'll do just that.

1. The name of your thread is "Every pro Flash Sentry argument ever addressed." That's where you said that those were the only arguments running through fans' heads. Unless you have a different definition of "every" than the other people on this forum.

I do not know anyone who is trying to demand that Flash Sentry be in season 4. Pretty sure at this point it is impossible for that to happen. I am disappointed that he will not be further developed as a character in season 4, but I can live with it. All the other pro Flash people I have talked to can live with it too, despite their disappointment.

2. If the post isn't addressed to just anyone who likes Flash Sentry then who in the world is this thread addressed to? Sure the points that you rebutted do exist among fans, but as far as I am aware no one who makes these points makes them as arguments in a logical debate about his character. And if there is anyone who does, those people are rare and not very vocal. I see more animosity against Flash Sentry than blind devotion.

And you can make arguments without being venomous. You do not need to be insulting towards other people and you do not need to make a thread for the sole purpose of "outsmarting" people who have different opinions from your own.

And if you experienced blind devotion from Flash Sentry fans on deviantart, then go to deviantart to make your thread. Telling us on this forum that we need to stop making stupid arguments about Flash Sentry is a little like going to a Bible study full of normal not-crazy people and telling everyone that they need to stop picketing at funerals saying that God hates fags. What you are doing is not as extreme, but still.

The title was hyperbole, I figured that'd be pretty obvious but there you go. Also, this thread was not telling you all to stop making arguments, it was a collection of arguments I've run across that I wanted to refute for the sake of discussion BY people who are indifferent, against, and for. However it seems as per standard any conflict of opinion within the brony fandom is usually resolved by calling the person with the minority opinion butthurt, a hater, and complaining that they're generalizing while subsequently making leaping assumptions about what they think. I said from the getgo that this was a small collection of arguments that I had run across, not that everyone who is pro-Brad uses these or thinks this way.

"If the post isn't addressed to just anyone who likes Flash Sentry then who in the world is this thread addressed to? Sure the points that you rebutted do exist among fans, but as far as I am aware no one who makes these points makes them as arguments in a logical debate about his character. And if there is anyone who does, those people are rare and not very vocal. I see more animosity against Flash Sentry than blind devotion."

People who want him in Season 4 and make use of these arguments is who this is addressed to. The main purpose being to present my experiences with the pro-Brad side and then to see what everyone else here thought.

I know this is going to get me shot, but we need to get something across here. Lauren doesn't work on the show anymore, she had said that, and said repeatedly to stop hating the other writers because they're not her. She even said during the Twicorn thing that what she would've done is now irrelevant. Plans change and stories evolve. Also, and this is the big one, she's awesome and I'm glad she made the show, but don't act like she's the only talented writer in the world. That's insulting to the rest of the staff and even she would say that/

I would like more variety of episodes, but that doesn't make the episodes we do get suck just because another doesn't get made,

The show has always had plotholes, it's one of the main things we joke about, and there was nothing wrong with the art style, it's a case of subjective opinion because it's quality was fine and it worked on a technical level. You hate it, I like it, nothing else to it. 

2)Putting freakin' wings on someone does not make them a sue. 

1. Ignoring the fact that in all chance she was probably fired from the show, there's still some things you don't do. (and allow me to make an insanely overextended metaphor here) Like it or not these characters and the general plot was built by her. It's like having a skyscraper, Lauren builds the structure (plot), walls (setting), window slots (side characters), and floors (characters). The other writers put in decorations (added settings), furniture (added characters), wiring (added story arcs), window panes (side characters), and piping (secondary story arcs like the CMC getting babs seed). A skyscraper has a load limit before it will suffer structural failure. In this case Lauren said that MLP will suffer structural failure if you add romance. Just because there's new writers adding the furniture does not mean the internals are any different, if you add romance it will still potentially cause the show to fail because the show was designed not to handle romance, it was designed to avoid it.

2. I didn't say they sucked, I said there was too many of them.

3. In my opinion these were some extreme plotholes, I'm sorry but the fact that appearently she can smash the portal with a sledgehammer and the sledgehammer wont just go through the portal is so laughably broken that it can't even be fixed.

4. You're right, elevating them to the status of princess and essentially saying they're superior to all their friends and that they've become so perfect they now qualify to be a princess is what makes them a mary sue.

Edited by Hell Patrol
  • Brohoof 1

S

1. Ignoring the fact that in all chance she was probably fired from the show, there's still some things you don't do. (and allow me to make an insanely overextended metaphor here) Like it or not these characters and the general plot was built by her. It's like having a skyscraper, Lauren builds the structure, walls, window slots, and floors. The other writers put in decorations, furniture, wiring, window panes, and piping. A skyscraper has a load limit before it will suffer structural failure. In this case Lauren said that MLP will suffer structural failure if you add romance. Just because there's new writers adding the furniture does not mean the internals are any different, if you add romance it will still potentially cause the show to fail because the show was designed not to handle romance, it was designed to avoid it.

2. I didn't say they sucked, I said there was too many of them.

3. In my opinion these were some extreme plotholes, I'm sorry but the fact that appearently she can smash the portal with a sledgehammer and the sledgehammer wont just go through the portal is so laughably broken that it can't even be fixed.

4. You're right, elevating them to the status of princess and essentially saying they're superior to all their friends and that they've become so perfect they now qualify to be a princess is what makes them a mary sue.

Let me go at this again.

1)There's no proof she got fired, everything she has said points to her leaving. She's even still friends with the other writers. Also, that's a horrible analogy because a story can evolve and change as a whole over time. Just look at the Highlander TVshow for a good example of how a long running story can drastically change(discounting the last season, that was just a parade of failed attempts at introducing characters for a spin-off). 

2)

No, characters do not suck because they get a significant quantity episodes (Twilight being my favorite character), but rather when they get so many episodes they eclipse other ponies is where things begin to suck.

3)Did you ever think that maybe was intentionally the character's stupidity(or, even better, a desperate bluff and Twilight telling her to do it was her calling the bluff)? Don't insult the intelligence of the writers and assume it's a

plot-hole when it can be explained that way.   

4)You're jumping to conclusions and making up problems that don't exist. They never say she's better than everyone else, and that response shows you're incredibly shallow and judge people and characters on social status and appearance rather than who they are as a person(or pony, in this case) 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 5

So you want me to go through my past two months of search history to find all the forums, videos, and pages that I've seen these arguments on? You know what, I think I'll do just that.

Yes. Cited sources are the most important part of writing an argument that is heavily based on the opinions of others. I'm sure many of us will have a new-found respect for your opinions once you do. :)

• Brohoof 3

Flash Sentry is a smooth player trying to keep that status on top. He is only shows interest in two girls in the movie, Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle. Both who happen to be contenders for the Princess contest. Flash doesn't start to get into Twilight until her odds of winning were more favorable in the cafeteria. He also played his cards where he helps out Twilight to get her to agree to go to the dance with him.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 3

I may be jealous, but that's because he's to cool. Has anyone caught on to that? They might not throw him away. Twilight might not have anyone to love, but she has proven to be an independent mare, only desiring the care and attention of her teacher: Celestia.

I may be jealous, but that's because he's to cool. Has anyone caught on to that? They might not throw him away. Twilight might not have anyone to love, but she has proven to be an independent mare, only desiring the care and attention of her teacher: Celestia.

He's Trophy boyfriend material. Compared to all the other male characters in the series, he's the pinnacle with no flaws what so ever.

As for her attraction to Flash, well I think it seems more like it's linked to her brother. Blue hair, blue eyes, and cutie mark is a shield.

Edited by Singe

whether or not they actually get together i DON'T care. if they get together so what? she will still be my favorite pony. its only gonna add more flavor to the show. twilight is maturing and if they want to give her a colt friend let em do it. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Let me go at this again.

1)There's no proof she got fired, everything she has said points to her leaving. She's even still friends with the other writers. Also, that's a horrible analogy because a story can evolve and change as a whole over time. Just look at the Highlander TVshow for a good example of how a long running story can drastically change(discounting the last season, that was just a parade of failed attempts at introducing characters for a spin-off). 

2)

3)Did you ever think that maybe was intentionally the character's stupidity(or, even better, a desperate bluff and Twilight telling her to do it was her calling the bluff)? Don't insult the intelligence of the writers and assume it's a

plot-hole when it can be explained that way.   

4)Your jumping to conclusions and making up problems that don't exist. They never say she's better than everyone else, and that response shows you're incredibly shallow and judge people and characters on social status and appearance rather than who they are as a person(or pony, in this case) 

1. Alright, if we're being fair here. What actually happened from what we know is pretty much that she wanted more creative control, hasbro wanted more, they conflicted. Hasbro owns the IP so they won, she jumped ship .

2. "Is where things begin to suck". How do you get this to mean "is where the character begins to suck". It just means the state of the situation begins to suck.

3. Any plot-hole can be explained away, there's always a leap or a bound you can do. Even if it was a bluff, it's a balls out retarded one.

4. So basically, by effectively saying that she has learned SO MUCH about friendship and social etiquette that she qualifies to be a princess isn't saying she's reached near-perfection?

Flash Sentry is a smooth player trying to keep that status on top. He is only shows interest in two girls in the movie, Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle. Both who happen to be contenders for the Princess contest. Flash doesn't start to get into Twilight until her odds of winning were more favorable in the cafeteria. He also played his cards where he helps out Twilight to get her to agree to go to the dance with him.

Hah, you're right. Flash is even more of a shit heel than originally presented.

The problem is he isn't cool in the say... Big Mac sort of way where he's just quiet but capable. He's cool in that obnoxious SANIC HEGEHOG sort of way.

Leaked footage of Flash Sentry's new video game.

whether or not they actually get together i DON'T care. if they get together so what? she will still be my favorite pony. its only gonna add more flavor to the show. twilight is maturing and if they want to give her a colt friend let em do it. 

Yeah man, adding flavor to the show. By covering it in salt.

Who's that stupid woman named Lauren Faust anyways? Not like she said anything about this.

Also, if you think giving her a Gary Stu is going to make her more mature, let me present an argument.

http://youtu.be/9xdbwvdX9LE?t=18m24s

Edited by Hell Patrol

You anti Flash Sentry people are just as annoying you know. I have no opinion on him yet, besides the fact that I think he looks pretty darn adorable as a pony.

You never know, maybe he is a total geek just like Twilight! Will people give him a chance and stop being all "He Iz a gary Stu!!! He haz no Flaws andhe's like oposite of Twi!!1" Just give him time, he could come around.

Oh, and by the way, just because you don't agree with somebodys opinions doesn't mean you have to lash out at them and say all the reasons they're wrong and you're right. (Or just calling them butthurt like 99 percent of people that can't think of something good to say do.)

Cause its OPINION. Like as in, not fact. So you're all wrong.

deal-with-it.gif

Edited by Pinkie
  • Brohoof 5

Nobody expects you to suddenly think Flash Sentry sucks. Just like I'm sure you don't expect me to say he's good either, it's just sharing opinions. As for if this thread causes people to be butthurt, that is none of my concern. If they get angry so be it, I will not censor myself because someone might be offended. As for 222 members meaning people are warming up to him, 222 members out of a fanbase with even on a conservative estimate about 300k-400k people, let's say 300k. That's 0.074%, sure the entire fanbase likely wasn't exposed to it but chances are the people who found that group went out of their way to look for it. The fanbase was never warming to this character, nor becoming cold to him either. The vast majority really doesn't hate or like him, most either say "I don't want him in season 4 I guess" or "I guess it would be alright if he was in season 4".

No matter what you say people like you and me are a minority, and don't try to play the majority card.

It is impossible to know exactly how many people like Flash Sentry based on one Deviantart account, because not everyone that likes him is going to go to a site and post about it.

Anyway, I see this topic as nothing more than an attack against people that like Flash Sentry. 

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 3

Ok, i want to be clear here.

I don't really hate Flash Sentry, and i don't really hate the pairing.

What i hate is how Hasbro put the character in the story and how forced, ridiculous, cheesy and materialistic this couple looks. It seems like they made Flash Sentry just because the setting of highschool. And i should'nt be surprised that some people like the char when the fanbase get in love even with char that have only ONE scene. And Flash Sentry just looks like one of those char. And i would not hate him for that. I hate that they made him one of those character a love interest. A love interest should be made well. Just beacuse the settings is not love story focused it dosen't mean that you should just make a Love Interests and not giving him the right space to shine.

People who likes the pairing are like "Aw they look sho cute!" or something like that. What exactly is cute about the pairing? Just because both of them looks cute so: Cute guy + cute girl = cute couple. Flash is the perfect nice guy and Twilight is a princess. And Hasbro thought that is more than enought to wins at least some favor.

• Brohoof 4

It is impossible to know exactly how many people like Flash Sentry based on one Deviantart account, because not everyone that likes him is going to go to a site and post about it.

Anyway, I see this topic as nothing more than an attack against people that like Flash Sentry. 

Thank you for that. 

This raises a good question, @Hell Patrol. Why on earth did you even make this thread? I honestly want to know. You seem to hate Flash Sentry with such a burning passion that you wanted to make sure that the very first thing you said when joining MLP Forums was how much you hated him. How on earth does that make any sense? That'd be like me coming on these forums and ranting about how much I hate Rainbow Dash. (I don't hate her, just to be clear.) 

You seem to be stuck in this Them vs. Us mentality - even the title, for crying out loud! "Every Pro Flash Sentry Argument Ever Addressed". Thanks to this thread, I have no idea what you're about, your hobbies, anything about you. And it will most likely stay that way. Because instead of coming here and being, "Hi, I'm so-and-so, and this is what I like. Oh and by the way, I despise Flash Sentry" you just came here and went on a ragestorm. 

Why? Why would you honestly do that? 

Here's my final advice to you (and advice to other people who are getting butthurt over nonsensical things, including myself). 

159455643027517538xm7v1ykdc.jpg

Complaining on internet forums does absolutely nothing. I'm serious, it does nothing. I've complained about a number of things that infuriate me on these forum boards, and nothing comes of it. I've complained about political things, social media things, religious things, and all sorts of stuff, but for some reason I've always kept the perspective that this is a cartoon show I watch for enjoyment. My happiness doesn't rely on the outcome of an animated show about fluffy purple unicorns. 

The only reason - and I mean the only reason - I place this show with more significance than other shows of its kind is the fanbase. I'm not active in fanbases of things I enjoy, like Avatar the Last Airbender and so on. But being on here and talking with people about the show (and every other thing under the sun) gives the show a bit more oomph. 

Lets keep things in perspective. Flash Sentry did not run over Matthew with a car in Downton Abbey. Flash Sentry did not make Batman & Robin. Flash Sentry did not make Scratch n' Sniff cards for Honey Boo-Boo. He is an orange pony with a spiky blue mane and a weak love interest. If you want to lynch him for being a weak love interest, stick him behind every other weak love interest in the history of the world. 

Arrivederci. My other advice: get some clout before trying to stuff your arguments down our throats.

• Brohoof 3

People who likes the pairing are like "Aw they look sho cute!" or something like that. What exactly is cute about the pairing? Just because both of them looks cute so: Cute guy + cute girl = cute couple. Flash is the perfect nice guy and Twilight is a princess. And Hasbro thought that is more than enought to wins at least some favor.

Actually, I'm pretty much indifferent toward it for a few reasons.

1 - The pairing isn't going to be explored beyond the movie.

2 - Twilight's blushing at the end could be out of embarrassment, rather than a crush.  From personal experience, I can guarantee that peoples' faces would get flush if they were in a public place and suddenly saw someone cosplayed as one of the mane 6.

3 - There have been worse pairings than those two in other shows and movies.

Edited by SBaby

1. Alright, if we're being fair here. What actually happened from what we know is pretty much that she wanted more creative control, hasbro wanted more, they conflicted. Hasbro owns the IP so they won, she jumped ship .

2. "Is where things begin to suck". How do you get this to mean "is where the character begins to suck". It just means the state of the situation begins to suck.

3. Any plot-hole can be explained away, there's always a leap or a bound you can do. Even if it was a bluff, it's a balls out retarded one.

4. So basically, by effectively saying that she has learned SO MUCH about friendship and social etiquette that she qualifies to be a princess isn't saying she's reached near-perfection?

1)Oh really? I heard she quit to concentrate on her own projects and because of stress in general.  

2)Your saying what we do get sucks, because you're personally getting what you want.

3)Except for that's not a leap of logic. Sunset is arrogant and sees Twilight's as a second-rate replacement, so she'd assume that Twilight is stupid enough to believe the bluff. 

4)No, no it isn't. The way she acts in EqG completely obliterates that argument. She's so shy about it she doesn't even want to wear her own crown to begin with.

Also, by that logic, Celestia, Luna, and Cadance are sues as well because their princesses.  

• Brohoof 1

First I gotta say: Don't get mad if everyone misinterprets your intentions for this post. And certainly don't reply insultingly by telling them they should've been smart enough to know what you meant. It's apparent a significant amount of people didnt see it that way. Next time I suggest making your message clearer for others to fully comprehend your message/intentions

Invalidating the argument that it's a kid show is a little weird to me because it's basically saying: "I dont like it because it's trying to be what it's purposely trying to be." (Ex. this metal music is bad because it's not as catchy as pop. It's a matter of preference since some like it's simplicity while others judge it equally critical with different shows of varying viewing audiences.)

Any statement of Faust's status and reasons for leaving the show without citations should be put off merely as speculation until further solid evidence is provided. Otherwise stop just saying stuff because you had a hunch about it.

Many of Faust's initial ideas have been contradicted throughout the show. (This is honestly not the first, and definitely not the last time this will happen with a writer.) The other writers have been with the show for a while now and are certainly not "new." They have shaped our characters to how we know them today. Faust drew an outline and was like "Here they are, bring em to life."

Now in my opinion over the relationship topic Faust's belief in the fall of girl's shows is completely justified and I don't blame her for knowing so. However the potential is almost thrilling for me. Time and time again FIM has broken stereotype after stereotype and it had made me so happy to be there and see it at work. Girl's tv show romances are most often childish, full of cheese, and drizzled in drama. If the writers do use him in the future and make a good relationship with depth and non-sappy progression and story along with no drama, that would be cool.

Edited by Captain Brony (MG11)
  • Brohoof 5

Not really, his pony design is basically the definition of bad OC. You've got the "TOTALLY RADICAL" haircut, the eye hurting color scheme, and the "I'M NOT SHINING ARMOR, I'M MY ORIGINAL CHARACTER, FLASH SENTRY" cutie mark.

"Awesome personality- I can sense some personality in him. He's pretty much a fleshed out Shining Armor!"

Now this is just flat out insulting, Shining Armor is another broski sure, and I don't care for his character. But for one, saying that a guy with about 15 minutes of screentime is more fleshed out than a character with about triple that essentially relegates you to the position of being the laughing stock OF the laughing stock. But at least Shining Armor has never really proven himself to be a tool, and sure we didn't get to see a human Shining Armor but if you're making assumptions about seeing personality in him I'll go and make a fair point that I don't think Shining Armor would be that level of tool. Flash Sentry wouldn't be out of place in Home Depot. Also, before people go "Well then how do you dislike him you just said he has no screentime, wouldn't you rather him be developed more so he can be a love interest?". No, I think making a character for the express purpose of being a love interest when in context of the main cast is absurd.

My god, you've made me realize EXACTLY why it is i don't approve of Flash Sentry and Twilight. HE'S GODDAMN SHINING ARMOR! I even thought he was human shining armor in the trailer! THAT'S why it feels so so wrong. It feels like incest! i-always-wanted-my-own-brother comes immediately to mind. EW *drinks bleach*

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 3

I've been thinking recently(i.e. past two minutes) thinking about why I like Flash Sentry. I just realized why I like him.

When a character like Flash has no distinct personality, ignoring his role in the movie, I can give him any kind of personality and traits that go along with it. So I came up with an admirable personality for him, despite this only being in my head. Also in my head, Flash's "personality" matches Twilight's in one way or two and so I ship them. So I never really thought of his personality never being there in the film, but I judge his character by what my mind assumes his personality is.

That's probably enough philosophy today.

• Brohoof 3

I've been thinking recently(i.e. past two minutes) thinking about why I like Flash Sentry. I just realized why I like him.

When a character like Flash has no distinct personality, ignoring his role in the movie, I can give him any kind of personality and traits that go along with it. So I came up with an admirable personality for him, despite this only being in my head. Also in my head, Flash's "personality" matches Twilight's in one way or two and so I ship them. So I never really thought of his personality never being there in the film, but I judge his character by what my mind assumes his personality is.

That's probably enough philosophy today.

Your mindset is actually why people hate him, too.

Think about it. They see that he is after Twilight, or that he is a cool kid who plays guitar, and all of a sudden we have a chunk of the fan base assuming the worst and giving Flash a bunch of terrible qualities.

There are a handful of people in this thread who make claims about Flash being a terrible person, like the person who said that Flash is a smooth player, are all making shit up based off what they initially saw of him.

But none of those things can be proven true. It is all headcanon.

And headcanon is great in its own right, and you can be in love with your headcanon as long as you can step away and remember that it is only headcanon. It becomes a problem when people confuse canon with headcanon.

• Brohoof 1

Your mindset is actually why people hate him, too.

Think about it. They see that he is after Twilight, or that he is a cool kid who plays guitar, and all of a sudden we have a chunk of the fan base assuming the worst and giving Flash a bunch of terrible qualities.

There are a handful of people in this thread who make claims about Flash being a terrible person, like the person who said that Flash is a smooth player, are all making shit up based off what they initially saw of him.

But none of those things can be proven true. It is all headcanon.

And headcanon is great in its own right, and you can be in love with your headcanon as long as you can step away and remember that it is only headcanon. It becomes a problem when people confuse canon with headcanon.

The only girls Flash was interested in was Sunset and Twilight. Both who are running for a title reserved for the most popular girl in school. It so happens that Flash is the jack of sterotypical high school trophy boyfriend who dresses as a jock, guitar player of his own band, and finacially well endowed since he has his own car.

Flash is seen spying on Sunset when she is setting Twilight up by giving the false evidence to Luna. Then he quickly comes in to prove Twilight was setup. The final part that make Flash a smooth player, is that he takes adavantage of the moment to ask Twilight out to the dance. At that time, her chances of winning was in the bag.

If Twilight was already popular in winning, then the missing part is the boys clamouring to ask the new girl soon to be Princess Twilight out to the dance. Yet, it just so happens to be reserved just for Flash who is the establish top popular boy in the school.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

The only girls Flash was interested in was Sunset and Twilight. Both who are running for a title reserved for the most popular girl in school. It so happens that Flash is the jack of sterotypical high school trophy boyfriend who dresses as a jock, guitar player of his own band, and finacially well endowed since he has his own car. Flash is seen spying on Sunset when she is setting Twilight up by giving the false evidence to Luna. Then he quickly comes in to prove Twilight was setup. The final part that make Flash a smooth player, is that he takes adavantage of the moment to ask Twilight out to the dance. At that time, her chances of winning was in the bag. If Twilight was already popular in winning, then the missing part is the boys clamouring to ask the new girl soon to be Princess Twilight out to the dance. Yet, it just so happens to be reserved just for Flash who is the establish top popular boy in the school.

Invalid argument exploitation time!

• Flash met Twilight before he knew she was running for princess of the fall formal and had shown interest for some time (basically it was coincidental for him to show interest when it is known that she was to run for princess as well as sunset.)

• Shirt with cool jacket, skinny jeans, and nice shoes does not make you a jock. You are basically stereotyping and using that stereotype to head cannon that jock label right onto him. (My friends and I wear that type of clothing on occassion and we're all geeks and nerds)

•Guitars don't make you popular (or a trophy bf), talent does, and he's got talent.

• We don't actually know how finances work in the EQG human world and all other characters basically serve as schrodingers cats of car ownership. Flash was seen with a car however other students may as well have them but we are never shown if they do or even what their method of transportation really is or what the vehicle looks like.

• You're again assuming things. Flash just happened to be there when Sunset was scheming. Contrary to your argument it can also be assumed that he knows of her troublemaking ways knowing he has dated her but broke up sometime later.

• Flash could've asked at any time really. Only assuming here but I believe the writers had pacing issues here and had to squeeze in the scene where he asks her since them being in the same location was convenient for the scene since she needed a reminder of when the dance were to take place and set up the cleanup sequence for later.

-Also it can be said for any guy that going to great lengths and helping a girl is a pretty sure-fire way to convincing her to go to the dance with you. If I liked a girl that much I know I would probably: help her up, support her in the princess of formal election, and prove her innocence when convicted too.

• It was never established that he was the most popular boy in school. The only significant mention of his status was of mentioning that he was Sunset's ex boyfriend. Thinking that this fact makes him popular is equivalent to saying Snips and Snails are popular since they are her henchmen.

*raises arms* SUP

Edited by Captain Brony (MG11)
  • Brohoof 5

Flash and Twilight met once before she ran for the Princess Title. They just met. He helped her up and he walked off. His face doesn't change one bit to show any interest in her. They met again in the coffee shop which was after Twilight signed up and Flash knows she was running. He shows interest in her.

Okay Flash isn't jock, he's a rocker.

Flash drives a Camaro with a custom paint job on it. Those cars go between $30,000 to $60,000.

Flash makes his decision to ask her out after the Cafeteria song as her popularity goes up and Princess title is in the bag.

Flash was spying on Sunset and Luna when she gave the photos to her. He wasn't around during the scheming phase. Still he knows how Sunset operates, there was already one attack done to Twilight, and he took advantage to come up with his own plan.

Flash had it put together on the idea to pull a knight in shing armor act with Twilight going to be at most vulnerable to win her over. That's something a smooth player would do and he's too good to be true.

Edited by Singe

Flash and Twilight met once before she ran for the Princess Title. They just met. He helped her up and he walked off. His face doesn't change one bit to show any interest in her. They met again in the coffee shop which was after Twilight signed up and Flash knows she was running. He shows interest in her.

Okay Flash isn't jock, he's a rocker.

Flash drives a Camaro with a custom paint job on it. Those cars go between $30,000 to $60,000.

Flash makes his decision to ask her out after the Cafeteria song as her popularity goes up and Princess title is in the bag.

Flash was spying on Sunset and Luna when she gave the photos to her. He wasn't around during the scheming phase. Still he knows how Sunset operates, there was already one attack done to Twilight, and he took advantage to come up with his own plan.

Flash had it put together on the idea to pull a knight in shing armor act with Twilight going to be at most vulnerable to win her over. That's something a smooth player would do and he's too good to be true.

You do realize that you are headcanonning, right?

You have facts in here, but what struck me as particularly headcanon was that Flash Sentry had this all planned out, that he pulled the knight in shining armor act. I can see where you can come to that conclusion, but it is NOT fact. It is your headcanon.

An alternative interpretation of his actions is that he was rooting for Twilight the whole time that he knew she was running against Sunset. Remember that HE broke up with HER, not the other way around, and that makes a big difference. It is possible that he broke up with her because he realized that she is a bad person. We don't know this for sure, but it is just as possible as Flash being a player.

Either way, all arguments about his character are pretty pointless. What Flash actually did in the movie and people's interpretations of his actions get muddled together and people are pretty set in their initial reactions to him. Because Flash is such a blank slate, people fill in the blanks without even realizing it.

This is actually the main reason why I want to see more of him in the show. Background characters in this show have an agreeable fanon. Flash Sentry is conflicting. If we saw more of him, and he got development, then a lot of the negative headcanon would probably be dispelled.

• Brohoof 3