Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Every pro Flash Sentry argument ever: addressed

Hell Patrol

*sees argument about Flash Sentry on the MLP Forums*

ZtGJPrK.gif

But, in all honesty,

I liked both Equestria Girls movies, but I don't give a shit about Flash as a character. He really didn't make much of an impact on me.

To each, their own, I guess.

Sometimes I think the hate for him is a little misplaced. I'll agree he is a bland character, somewhat boring, with a rather contived romance, but I hardly find him offensive.

But he committed the greatest sin of them all, he took everyone's waifu  :o

Remember Silver Shill, the guy who gave Applejack her key?

Silver_Shill_assuring_Applejack_S4E20.pn

he might be as bland and boring as Flash Sentry, if not even more so, but he doesn't get any rants because he didn't stole any waifus  >_>

Seriously guys? Are you willing to act like that because of a crush you have with a fictional character you can even get to begin with? 

PD: I'll sit on a porcupine if there's not Flash Sentry fanclub by  next week, easiest bet, ever  B)

• Brohoof 1

The Twilight Sparkle that Flash Sentry won over in the Equestria Girl movies is just a shell of the real Twilight Sparkle from FIM.

Though I don't like cheap romance in a way that can only happen by stripping down a character to make them vulnerable enough to take a romantic liking to a stranger for doing one good deed. It sends the wrong message to promote about romance.

Edited by Singe

Look I feel for the guy,  hes been thrown to fandom wolves/Twilight fans and

has just been torn to shreds,  beaten and left to burn in the fires of fandom....

He is just a fictional guys,  someone with no real traits in the show.  Given

a few traits in the EQG branch and left to float alone so lets put things

to rest kay?

The only reason I would rather he exist than not even be in the movie at all is so I can make "Flash Sentry: Professional Waifu stealer" jokes. Other than that, there's not much to say about him, he's basically an EQG version of a pony who doesn't look much more original than an average background pony, basically has no personality, played a guitar or something, and was forced to be twilight's love interest with every high school love interest forcing cliché possible.

I was about to provide a big defense on this, then I realized this thread is old.

Let me just say that calling the fans, "Whinny fanboys," "Hasdrones," or any insulting term, is a big no no for a critic. It alienates the people who disagrees with you and is practically a straw man.

I don't like Flash Sentry that much but I'm not gonna say stuff like that to his fans. 

On a side note, "Hasdrones burn pictures of Lauren Faust." Really? Wouldn't by the way people defining that term, like EVERYTHING the show makes, including the early seasons? 

Granted, I still don't like the term as it's practically a fallacy on people who like stuff you don't, but at least define it right.

Ya know, the more I think about, the more I begin to appreciate Flash Sentry's existence, not because he's a good character, but because it's always hilarious seeing bronies writing pages and pages of text about why they hate him. People act as if his mere existence destroys their purpose in life

• Brohoof 2

Ya know, the more I think about, the more I begin to appreciate Flash Sentry's existence, not because he's a good character, but because it's always hilarious seeing bronies writing pages and pages of text about why they hate him. People act as if his mere existence destroys their purpose in life

Yeah, I'm starting to like him because of that  :lol:

• 5 years later...
On 8/16/2013 at 7:09 AM, Hell Patrol said:

What the title says, this thread will be a compilation of the various arguments, reasons, ideas, fallacies, and flat out fanboy whining that has comprised the mass of the extremely vocal "Pro Flash Sentry" fanbase. It seems to me this fanbase is largely comprised of people who either decided to begin their trek into the show around season 3, or giddy teenage girls who like him for the exact reason Hasbro wanted the tweens to. But let's not go into that, let's destroy these arguments like hasdrones destroy pictures of Lauren Faust every night. (Note that this is directed namely at the kind who support him in Season 4 and future Seasons, but is not limited to those and applies to really everyone who makes these arguments)

1. "You only hate him because you're jealous"

Ah yes, it seems the most common argument comes right off the bat as strawman infested pablum straight out of the internet fangirl handbook. Look, I'll give this argument some credibility as it's not entirely devoid of merit. But this argument fails to show anything, it doesn't argue against the points made by who it replies to, and it doesn't argue for any viewpoint.

2. "What was the point of having him in the movie if they're just going to throw him away"

Nothing. Things don't have to have a point, but in fact one can logically deduce lots of points of why they would do that. Simply put, throwaway characters come and go, it's like latching on to every person who says hello to you at the supermarket. If you attempt to do so you'll effectively find yourself more emotionally crippled than the writers at Kotaku.

3. "They're such a cute couple!"

So? I'm sure lots of people in terms of aesthetics make cute couples.  Even attempting being entirely neutral on the personality we know that this is purely subjective. Simply put, this argument is not even slightly a reason to like this character pairing, especially when this character has all the characteristics of a self-insert OC.

4. "But Flash is so cool!"

Ah, an argument dispensed almost exclusively by teenage girls (Not to say that all teenage girls like this twit, or that all teenage girls are stupid). Yes, I'm sure you're 15 and you lack a comprehensive understanding of the nature of love to even a baseline degree and any man who drives a Camaro, plays guitar, and wears a jacket will win you over easier than the Sonic fanbase. But in all honesty I can say that I'd have no doubts the same teenage girls who fire this argument like a heroin junkie working at a drug clinic would be hasty to express their disdain for a movie in which a male protagonist they liked fell for some large breasted woman with the personality of a pear and the intellect of of a walrus simply because "she's cool!".

5. "The writers need new ideas to make the show interesting"

Ignoring the obvious implications that the writers came up with Flash Sentry in the first place, I seriously doubt that the writers need new ideas or that they need to make a main character have a romantic interest as their only hope for salvaging the show. Look, the writers are juggling enough (and in my opinion BAD) changes as it is. Alicorn Twilight is a pile of guano they already are likely going to need to pump a 13 episode stimulus package into in order to make any sense of it all, and hell let's not forget the great characters which have been relegated to the corner in favor of making Twilight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash episode #6,739. I'm still interested in seeing where Rarity's character goes, or Applejack's, and Fluttershy and Pinkie as well.

6. "Why do you care it isn't canon anyways"

This is the last ditch argument made by pro Flash Sentry people when all else fails a significant portion of the time. I personally hold some other bones which must be picked with this argument, but for now even if I assume this will never be canon. Here's why I care, I care because I support competent writing and believable character motivation. I care because I care about the guidelines set by the very woman who played a massive role in the revitalization of this franchise nearly three years ago. I care because as someone who's watched this fanbase and franchise grow since December of 2010 I want what is the best for its continued propagation. But even so, the promise that it isn't canon is a Hasbro promise. The same people who promised us Twilicorn wouldn't happen because "surprises". Do you honestly think that this is a move they wouldn't do? Of course they would do this, where there's profit there's always someone ready to take the helm and receive that profit.

7. "But Twilight can't just be lonely! She needs love!"

A cartoon character does not NEED anything, they are not living entities with a need to maintain homeostasis. By that logic we should show every scene where they're presumed to be eating in order to make sure that the viewer knows they're getting proper nutrition. Even so, giving a character a pairing (especially in a show created by a woman who specifically engineered the formula to AVOID character pairings) is a delicate process.

That was all the arguments I have to address right now, there are probably more I can think of but this post is already quite long and these are just the ones I've run into the most (I will still likely add more as I . If anyone wishes to level any other arguments at me I would be more than up to a response. This also happens to be my first post on these forums and I'm looking forward to the experience of putting some time in around here to see what the current community thinks, as I've always been rather distant from the fanbase.

Absoloely (my phone has decided that is how you spell absolutely, :( ) best read ever!

I wish I could come up with such a perfect debate topic where you can only agree!

Edited by Splashee®

• 6 months later...

My main problem with the Flash/Twi relationship was that it felt too forced and got dropped before it could go anywhere. Obviously that context doesn't exist in this thread, since this was made after EqG 1, but honestly if they were going to take a risk, they should've seen it to the end.