Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How patriotic are you, and why?

Radost

First of all, I believe that a country is defined by the people, not the government. The government only makes up a small portion of a country. Personally, I believe patriotism is a love of and a loyalty to the people within one's country, i.e. one's friends and family. As long as those exist within the U.S. I will consider myself a patriot by my own definition. If I were to lose those two factors, I would leave the country and move to either Canada or England. 

So, to answer your question, yes I am a patriot. For now, at least.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say I'm too proud of my country. (the US) Our Government is evil and rotten to the core. However, that isn't necessarily the fault of the American people. To some degree it is because we're the ones who elected some politicians. However the politicians also flat out lied to us, the corporations went crazy with the lobbying, and then the liars ended up bringing in more liars. I believe that the US people do want to do good and don't have bad intentions, but our government is the one pulling all the strings that cause foreign wars and destroy lives out of greed. So no, I'm not patriotic for what my country has become, but I believe that we still have time and the ability to fix things and make them right again.

Even though the U.S. government is all of the things you listed. I would still consider myself to be patriotic. I love America. When I get old enough I what to join the Air Force. I have always had a desire to fly an AA-10. But at the same time I also want to move to England (mainly just so I could talk to some British girls. I have alwys loved their accent.) Even though England isn't doing much better.

Well, I would say that I love Britain as a nation, but not as a state... If that makes any sense. Basically what I'm saying is that I like Britain and I want it to prosper, but I have no devotion to government unless we have a competent leader in office.

There was that one time when I was around 13, I think, when I went all crazy for the concept of the British Empire, but then I realised that imperialism was a horrible concept and ditched that idea.

• 2 months later...

I'd say I'm a proud American, a freedom lover, but not a patriot. Patriotism seems to get tangled up with xenophobia and I don't go that route. Plus, the government is full of morons that keep wasting money. "Patriotic" people just make the country look bad, and they're a bit of an embarrassment to have around (no offense guys). They also seem to be very misguided and oblivious towards their country's history. I mean guys, you don't have to be a WASP to be an American. Just look at Frederick Douglas and Sitting Bull.

I do make "'Mericu" jokes a times, but that's just me screwing around.

1337964958520.jpg

Oh, I just did it xD

I'm not patriotic at all, in fact, I loathe my country, there's few to no positive things that can be said about it, but what can you expect for a country that had this asshole as president?

chavez-por-siempre-18.jpg

the only good thing that I could say about him in his later presidential life, was die..... only to leave us this human-shaped bullshit

imagen-nicolas-maduro.png

Hell, even Homer Simpson is smarter than him

anyways, high inflation, high crime rate, it has it all, and they expect me to become that blind patriot because I'm told so (I used to be like that as a boy)? but not anymore, in fact, with all it's flaws, I feel more patriotic to the US, and it's not my country XD

I'm proud to be british, what I am not proud of however is the shit our goverment does under the guise of being in "our interests".

I don't need oil, I care about some country on the other side of the damn planet. Fix our country first before you try fixing everywhere else!

I don't see anything wrong with love of country. If you love where you're from, then more power to you

What I can't respect is patriotism taken to the extreme that your country is the best just because you say so. And every other country is just a crap chute because they don't meet the level of superiority that you believe your country has.

The government has fallen to shit. If you ask me, Obama is an idiot. You know, I understand that meeting people's needs shouldn't be about money, but the government was broke enough when Bush left and this guy goes and spends $5 trillion and counting? There's nothing cool about that. I heard he scoffed at the idea of having a budget. You know, if you or I spent more money than we had, that's a possible jail sentence.

There's corruption at so many levels in our government. It's only fortunate that the United States is such a large world power. However at the rate at which we're going, our economy is bound to see the worst crash since 1929. 

I think the government needs to back off. People need to learn how to work. Two successful men came to my marketing class earlier today. One thing they stressed that if they had the choice between hiring someone who was 20 and someone who is 30, they'll take the 30 year old in a heartbeat because people in their 20s don't know how to work. They also said that when they were our age, you got to work early and stayed late. And you weren't on your phone, either. They stressed that our generation can't go ten seconds without looking at the phone. 

Also people need to quit expecting handouts. The disabled and elderly are the exception to this. But it's almost like people expect life to be easy and comfortable because they live in America. It's different for people like college students who accept grants and such issued by the government. I mean, I do that. But one day, I expect to earn enough money at my job that I'm going to end up giving back to the government that grant money in the form of taxes. But these people who expect free stuff and they don't become productive members of society when they have every opportunity to do so...I don't know. It just kind of irks me. 

• Brohoof 1

There is nothing wrong with showing patriotism for your country. Patriotism is simply a feeling of admiration for your beliefs, ideals, and way of life. I believe that some in this thread are confusing patriotism for nationalism. Nationalism is the feeling that one's country is superior to others.

Depends. I'm going to discuss the three countries I can associate with 'patriotism' from my part.

1. Mexico.

I was born in Mexico, although, not many people believe this, for I have very light skin. But, for patriotism, I admire and promote the diversity and grand culture that the Mexican population has. As for current state, 'country-wise', the president is a moron, the situation is not good at all, it's much too dangerous, and most of the country has been going down-hill, but I believe it'll pick itself up again.

Therefore, I am proud of the countries roots, but not of its situation.

2. United States of America.

I reside currently in the United States of America, however, I do am not too fond of the country itself. The USA, for the most part is not too bad, it has a large role in the world, diverse, and very interesting. I dislike most of the population in the country, however, for the most part Southern population, as they are (for the most part) racist, intolerant, and homophobic; all three qualities I dislike. But also, I dislike how much the population of the USA believes their country is the best in the world, and how close-minded they can be.

I'm not patriotic for the United States.

3. Canada.

canada-day-4.jpg

To sum this part up, I will say I admire the Canadian country tremendously, its culture, its [two] language, its population, and the country itself.

I'm patriotic for Canada.

Edited by Stuart Pot

3. Canada.

img-1972944-1-canada-day-4.jpg

To sum this part up, I will say I admire the Canadian country tremendously, its culture, its [two] language, its population, and the country itself.

I'm patriotic for Canada.

Speaking of flags...

Taiwan-Flag.jpg

Okay, I'm a bit guilty now, so I'll add another flag.

china-flag.jpg

For their several millenniums' worth of culture, tradition, and language! 

• Brohoof 1

Am i patriotic? Maybe, in some weird, backwards kind of way.

Am i nationalistic? Hell NO!

I'm patriotic in the fact that i care about my country and want it going in the right direction. Even if our people are kinda dumb and flawed, i still believe Americans can be good people who generally mean well. I'm not patriotic to our government in its current, screwed up state, however. I don't believe the actions of our government reflects the wishes of the people, which is why see no reason for me to show any loyalty for our rotten government.

In other words, I'm loyal to my people, not the government.

Edit: I just realized this is an old topic, and i've actually replied on it already. Lol whoopsies derpy_emoticon1.png

Edited by crazitaco

• 8 months later...

There is no perfect government in the world. Every country has faults, some more than others.

Patriotism is loving your country. Everything else (Government, people) is irrelevant for this particular word.

In that case, then to answer the question, I'd say yes.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't consider myself patriotic. I'm not "proud to be an American", nor am I ashamed of it. Frankly, I don't even think of it as part of who I am. To me, "American" is merely a statement of fact and has no real meaning beyond that. I just don't think it makes sense to pretend that my country of birth is better than all other countries. Sure, I'm glad to live here, especially because it allows me to practice my religion without legal persecution, but I'm not proud to live here. It's just the way it is.

I do want America to be the best nation it can be, and I want it to prosper inasmuch as it can, but not to the exclusion of any other nation. If our losing a bit of money and power and influence hypothetically allowed other, worse off countries to advance significantly, I'd be all for it. I'd prefer what's good for humanity, not just what's good for my little corner of the world.

Edited by Henny Penny Benny

(edited)

It's kinda normal.

I hate my own country too (UK), although I'd also hate to live in the USA as well as another great number of countries worldwide. Like someone said above though, you don't get to choose these things.

The solution: when you're legally able to do so, move abroad! (that's what I'm planning anyway) :D

Edited by ponypowa96

Well... naturally because I am a country boy *ehem* ... I probably am patriotic by default.  So, yes... yes I am patriot.  'Merica!

Seriously though, I am.  I don't think we're "the best damn country ever" by any means.  But it's hard to not be patriotic when one literally is excited for the demolition derby, tractor pull/truck pull, and mud bogs at the fair in the summer.  I mean, what's more American than hopping up an old beater to ram into people with, and trucks and tractors pulling heavily weighted trailers full bore wide open throttle while rolling the most gosh darn coal y'ever did see?  As well as all the hicks in the beer tent going crazy and listening to really crappy cover bands?  I know I might be sounding sarcastic, but I really like that stuff, hahaha.  I'm proud to be country, and it logically follows that I'd be patriotic.  

P.S. Ford trucks ftw... lmao.