Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls Canonicity

CT-1138

I had come across this image a few days ago and for some reason it had completely slipped my mind in posting it. It is a screenshot of a tweet where Meghan McCarthy says that Equestria Gurks happened within the continuity of the show:

8127757622bab610018328c5efd66578.png

Is this a fake? It doesn't really matter to me if EG is canon to the show or not, but if I am to pass this information around, I would like to know I'm not passing around false info.

No it's real. I posted those Tweets in my ongoing Meghan tweets in the season 4 thread. I can't remember what got her posting about that, but I remember fanfic playing a role. I agree with her and I've always felt the same way about it.

Edited by Nature Spell

I had come across this image a few days ago and for some reason it had completely slipped my mind in posting it. It is a screenshot of a tweet where Meghan McCarthy says that Equestria Gurks happened within the continuity of the show:

img-1809476-1-8127757622bab610018328c5ef

Is this a fake? It doesn't really matter to me if EG is canon to the show or not, but if I am to pass this information around, I would like to know I'm not passing around false info.

EQG is canon but at the same time it will not bring consequences to the main series.

But i would like to know what kind of experience Twilight learned from the movie that she didn't yet learned in the main series.

With the permission of Rylasasin i will post his post that i find perfect answer to such thing:

.... Wat?

What the hell did she, could she POSSIBLY learn from this crap?

… that if you go to a bland alternate dimension with a crown it’ll turn the wielder into a furry demon that you can defeat by pulling some crap out of your ass?

… that if you’re running into problems they’ll either go away on their own (Drive by problems in EQG (IE the embarrassing video)) or other people will take care of them for you while you get the credit? (Seriously, other than talking smack to Not-Diamond Tiara to stop her from bullying fluttershy… Twilight really didn’t do much of anything of value. The friends separated? they pretty much worked that out on their own. Winning everyone’s hearts for the prom? Rarity’s doing/idea. The fake pictures debacle? … need I say anything? Twilight really didn’t do much of anything over there all things considered.)

… That some cheesy pop songs will solve just about everything?

... How to be a good leader? Pppht. yeah right. We already had this lesson way back in S1 (and way better too, in the sense that twilight actually leads rather than just following the crowd and taking credit for it. It's called Winter Wrap Up. ring any bells?)

... How to be a good princess? ... Seriously? Going to a high school and winning a popularity contest is somehow supposed to give you the knowledge and confidence needed to run an entire country? Bullshit.

... Oh wait nm. I figured out the real "lesson" here:

Buy our shitty toys.

I think it is real. Equestria Girls isn't exactly canon with the show or affecting any Friendship is Magic storylines. Twilight learning from her experience could be canon from the show.

• Brohoof 2

EQG is canon but at the same time it will not bring consequences to the main series. But i would like to know what kind of experience Twilight learned from the movie that she didn't yet learned in the main series.

Remember in the beginning of the movie how she was finding it hard to wrap her head around her new position as a Princess? How afraid she was of dealing with whatever responsibilities would come with the title? Her experience in the human world taught her that it's not so bad being a princess and she even says in the end that she's not afraid of facing the path ahead of her anymore. So yes, she has gained a new experience from her ordeal.

That being said, I don't mind EQG being canon. Now, I can just see all the fanrage from people who hated the movie and especially those who hated Flash because now that EQG is in fact confirmed canon, her crush on Flash is in fact a reality. That's bound to piss off some people who thought of Twilight as their waifu :lol:

Edited by Freedan
  • Brohoof 1

Remember in the beginning of the movie how she was finding it hard to wrap her head around her new position as a Princess? How afraid she was of dealing with whatever responsibilities would come with the title? Her experience in the human world taught her that it's not so bad being a princess and she even says in the end that she's not afraid of facing the path ahead of her anymore. So yes, she has gained a new experience from her ordeal.

That being said, I don't mind EQG not being canon. Now, I can just see all the fanrage from people who hated the movie and especially those who hated Flash because now that EQG is in fact confirmed canon, her crush on Flash is in fact a reality. That's bound to piss off some people who thought of Twilight as their waifu :lol:

I see that you didn't read the response of Rylasasin. Does Meghan really think that win the votes for being princess of the prom = rule a freaking KINGDOM? Cause that is pretty stupid.

By the way, you say that you don't mind EQG not being canon and then you that EQG is confirmed canon? WTF(udge)!?

And no, because EQG will not interfere with the main series, this means no Flash, and this also mean no FlashLight.

I see that you didn't read the response of Rylasasin. Does Meghan really think that win the votes for being princess of the prom = rule a freaking KINGDOM? Cause that is pretty stupid.

The way I see it, it was less a matter of becoming prom queen equating to ruling a kingdom and more to do with being comfortable with the title itself. Twilight wasn't sure she was ready to be a princess, but working to specifically become one in the human world helped her build her resolve and reassure herself that she can be charismatic enough to lead others.

By the way, you say that you don't mind EQG not being canon and then you that EQG is confirmed canon? WTF(udge)!? And no, because EQG will not interfere with the main series, this means no Flash, and this also mean no FlashLight.

It was a typo dude, chill out! :o

• Brohoof 1

The way I see it, it was less a matter of becoming prom queen equating to ruling a kingdom and more to do with being comfortable with the title itself. Twilight wasn't sure she was ready to be a princess, but working to specifically become one in the human world helped her build her resolve and reassure herself that she can be charismatic enough to lead others.

It was a typo dude, chill out! :o

Because she wasn't good at leading people in Winter Wrap Up and leading the MAIN DEFENSE of Equestria AKA the elements of Harmony, and what about leading the MANE 5 to help bring back the shiny feeling to the Crystal Empire? I get the she may feel unsure for the title of princess (Despite the fact that in MMC she showed no problem at all, same things about her wings, but i guess that it was retconned and that is fine, i guess that if they will not retcon the transformation too we will no problem at all >_> ) but not about leadership.

The only thing that concerns me here is what this is going to mean for fan fiction. I love the human in Equestria genre and would hate for authors to feel the need to make their human character rainbow colored and give them pony names. Otherwise, I have no problem with EG being canon. As long as it doesn't come up in the main show, fan fiction will probably be safe. 

Because she wasn't good at leading people in Winter Wrap Up and leading the MAIN DEFENSE of Equestria AKA the elements of Harmony, and what about leading the MANE 5 to help bring back the shiny feeling to the Crystal Empire? I get the she may feel unsure for the title of princess (Despite the fact that in MMC she showed no problem at all, same things about her wings, but i guess that it was retconned and that is fine, i guess that if they will not retcon the transformation too we will no problem at all >_> ) but not about leadership.

I feel that I have to step in here because I've watched MMC enough times for it to be it's own season 3 times over. Twilight was very concerned with the new position she received. When she was in front of everypony, she was kinda forced to put on a happy face and bear it. Regardless of whether you're a new princess or one that's ruled for every princess is to never look weak or be looked upon as weak by your subjects. Twilight very clearly asked Celestia what she was supposed to do right after the transformation, and asking if there was a guide or a book. (Showing that her actual personality wasn't going to be changed because of the fact that she now had a pair of wings.)

Celestia told her that there would be time for that later, and that ceremony, from the words of Princess Celestia happened the exact same day that everything transpired. There would not have been enough time for Twilight, as studious as a student as she is, to learn everything there was to learn or build up confidence. In fact, looking off of an entire balcony at all the ponies that will now be looking to you for answers for any situation that comes up, isn't going to build confidence at all, especially in a mare as analytical as Twilight is. So yeah, Twilight was very concerned about everything in MMC. And if you want to go into the song at the end, this is just speculation, but I have a feeling the writers knew that Princess Twilight was going to cause a stir and was put in there as reassurance to us that "Everything is going to be just fine."

• Brohoof 1

I love the fact that Equestria Girls is canon, yet won't really affect the show. That makes me really happy. because I don't like it at times, when they make a movie to a show, and it didn't really happen. I really liked the movie to be honest, despite the problems it had. I still enjoyed it, and it was fun to watch, and it had good songs. 

Oh no, she was always good at that sort of thing. The thing is, the context of all her previous tasks were within the framework of her being a student of Celestia. She realizes that has now changed because she won't be the one relying on Celestia's knowledge. Instead, she will be the one walking in Celestia's shoes, being a princess herself. Eventually she'll come to understand how she's more than capable, but it's her feeling of uncertainty at not having someone to turn to the way she could do before that added to her stress and lack of self-assurance whether or not she is indeed ready.

While trivial compared to the previous events of her life, and I can agree that a high school setting wasn't completely appropriate for Twilight (but I digress as this is still a children's show), winning the title of Princess in the human world helped reassure her, in a sense.

I don't think that within the context of the show, a high school setting and a popularity contest is less serious than the other challenges Twilight has faced. Remember that the human world was a completely new experience for Twilight. She felt completely out of place and while she had already learned a lot about leading in Equestria, her experience in the humanverse taught her how to start from scratch when leading people with no Celestia to guide her (I loved it when Principal Celestia slammed the door after Twi left the office). I believe that Twilight became humanoid instead of some other creature, and had to apply everything she had already learned about friendship to a human context in a world which is very much like our own because the point of the show is to teach young children lessons which will help them grow. Putting the whole thing into a human context makes Twilight's experience even more relatable to the intended audience. It's little kids, remember?

• Brohoof 2

While trivial compared to the previous events of her life, and I can agree that a high school setting wasn't completely appropriate for Twilight (but I digress as this is still a children's show), winning the title of Princess in the human world helped reassure her, in a sense.

Yeah, cause, again, winning the title of princess in the human world should make her sure of being a real princess, it's not resolving problem that even the wisest unicorn in Equestria couldn't do, is not facing a deity who has fallen to the dark side, it is not helping a town to wrap up winter, it is not facing the spirit of Disharmony itself. That makes sense.

And, for the children show...

It's little kids, remember?

For those who excuse EQG to be just something made for "little kids" and saing that the show is for "little Kids":

No, it's not just a simple tv show, they are stories/episodes that we continue to watch even today. There is episode that we remember months later even when other cartoon show vanish from our memory, they are episode that we will never forget and for good reason! They're episode that helps shade our childhood trough well thought writing and imaginative drawing and indearing morals. And idea of this (EQG) shaping somebody childhood the fact that it have the same logo... just makes me sick in my stomach! Maybe this "Simple kids" series are far more adult of what you (and others) give credit for. And i guarantee that it will show years later both children and adults will be still watching this simple "Little kids" show, when pandering idiotic stuff like this (EQG) will disappear from people consciousness also for good reasons! Good art dosen't come from focused groups and statistics, it come from people who share how they see things in their own unique ways.

• Brohoof 1

For those who excuse EQG to be just something made for "little kids" and saing that the show is for "little Kids"

Sorry if I was unclear. I don't mean to brush off EQG as being "for little kids", I mean to celebrate it as being for little kids! It is, after all intended to teach children lessons about friendship. And I think that by humanizing the ponies and reiterating in a human context all of the lessons about friendship and self-growth that Twilight learned over the seasons, the writers show how those lessons are applicable to the real lives of the children watching the show. I agree with everything you said about the importance of art and I do believe that MLP is very good art. I also believe that a show for children can be very good art. I think MLP is a great example of that. The reason I love Friendship is Magic is that it is so well written and teaches kids (young girls especially) to grow up confident and strong, but also kind and understanding.

• Brohoof 1

Meh, it doesn't matter to me if it's canon or not. I personally love both the movie and the show itself, but seeing it canon doesn't matter all too much to me.

If it actually is canon...then okay, I suppose....if not, then okay, I suppose.

Twilight did learn a lesson while in the alternative dimension and that was to remember that: "Friendship is the most powerful magic of all", so I can see where Twilight would learn a pretty big lesson from this.

Of course, the actual contents of the movie itself will probably never be brought up in the actual show, but meh, that doesn't bother me all that much.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry if I was unclear. I don't mean to brush off EQG as being "for little kids", I mean to celebrate it as being for little kids! It is, after all intended to teach children lessons about friendship. And I think that by humanizing the ponies and reiterating in a human context all of the lessons about friendship and self-growth that Twilight learned over the seasons, the writers show how those lessons are applicable to the real lives of the children watching the show. I agree with everything you said about the importance of art and I do believe that MLP is very good art. I also believe that a show for children can be very good art. I think MLP is a great example of that. The reason I love Friendship is Magic is that it is so well written and teaches kids (young girls especially) to grow up confident and strong, but also kind and understanding.

I wasn't clear either: I meant that people excuses EQG plot-holes and cheap story because is for children, just like the show.

And im pretty sure that children dosen't need a movie that just tell what we ALREADY learned from the series only rushed and boring.

Twilight did learn a lesson while in the alternative dimension and that was to remember that: "Friendship is the most powerful magic of all", so I can see where Twilight would learn a pretty big lesson from this.

Yeah, right. It is not beating a corrupted deity, it is not beating the spirit of Chaos, it is not helping an empire defeating a Sauron-like villain.

No, it must to be proved going into another universe where is 90% the same of the original dimension only with humanizade pony.

I wasn't clear either: I meant that people excuses EQG plot-holes and cheap story because is for children, just like the show.

And im pretty sure that children dosen't need a movie that just tell what we ALREADY learned from the series only rushed and boring.

Yeah, right. It is not beating a corrupted deity, it is not beating the spirit of Chaos, it is not helping an empire defeating a Sauron-like villain.

No, it must to be proved going into another universe where is 90% the same of the original dimension only with humanizade pony.

She did learn it from those fights as well. And knock it off with that snappy "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude, damn.

But anyway, it did prove that the magic of friendship is available anywhere whether in the Pony Universe or in, let's say...the human universe. 

She did learn it from those fights as well. And knock it off with that snappy "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude, damn.

But anyway, it did prove that the magic of friendship is available anywhere whether in the Pony Universe or in, let's say...the human universe. 

It's not about who's right and who is wrong. We already know that friendship is powerful and i think that everyone, even before EQG knew that friendship is not something only in Equestria.

It's not about who's right and who is wrong. We already know that friendship is powerful and i think that everyone, even before EQG knew that friendship is not something only in Equestria.

Yes, but the ponies have had little to no possible experience outside of Equestria...and yes, the main point of the movie was to cash in on some money, but they did need an overall lesson to the movie. 

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if it isn't let me know which one.

Anyways, so people have been telling me lately that Equestria Girls is canon to the FIM plot line. Is that true, or is it false? If that's true then I might need to watch it to make sure lore is accurate to my novel. But, I am hoping it is false because the few episodes I saw of it I couldn't stand it for what it was. Pretty much any show involving teenagers going to school and dealing with teenage type drama is something I avoid like the plague. So if it is true, is the show as bad as I am assuming it is, or do I need to give it a second chance and watch more of it to look passed certain things etc?

Everyone has their own opinions, some of them think it's good and some of them think it's bad. Personally I think it's really great and yes, you should try watching it. 

• Brohoof 1

The movies (it's not a TV show) do not revolve around teenage problems, think of them as more like a crappier version of the season premiers, although I would suggest you watch them both as they get pretty mixed opinions so you may or may not like it.

Oh, they're movies? Weird, maybe the site I saw them on had it spread out for convenience or something.

If it is just 2 movies (I assume 2 movies, EQG and RR), I will give it another shot. Still though, are they considered canon or not?

Edited by IJoinedForPonies

@@IJoinedForPonies

As your topic deals with Equestria Girls it has been moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

Also topic title has been edited to better fit your OP.

As for your question IIRC it was stated by one of the show's writers that while the moves don't have any impact on the show, they still technically happened. In other words the moves are canon to the universe of FiM.