Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls Canonicity

CT-1138

In my opinion, the second movie was great enough to the point where Equestria Girls is something the creators should be proud to be canon. I am actually more excited for the third movie than season 5, haha.

i just think Equestria Girls in an extensio of the mythos... is it canon? i guees so but its somewhat canon but it takes place in the human world, also the Sirens are from Equestrian Lore and they were banished there by Star Swirl so they have connections but those connections dont go deep enough, is it canon?? in my opinion somewhat, but not entierly

i just think Equestria Girls in an extensio of the mythos... is it canon? i guees so but its somewhat canon but it takes place in the human world, also the Sirens are from Equestrian Lore and they were banished there by Star Swirl so they have connections but those connections dont go deep enough, is it canon?? in my opinion somewhat, but not entierly

More than enough to consider it as such because it could be brought up at ANY time if the writers chose to.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I think she was confused on what "canon" actually meant when answering the question. It seemed as if she were still trying to figure out what it meant, while trying to answer it. If you think about it, is there really an easy way to describe "canon" to someone who has never heard the term before?

Honestly, I think she was confused on what "canon" actually meant when answering the question. It seemed as if she were still trying to figure out what it meant, while trying to answer it. If you think about it, is there really an easy way to describe "canon" to someone who has never heard the term before?

Sure. I hope this will help!

DEFINITIONS

Canon: Just the facts. Stuff that has happened on the show or is said to be true by the writers at Studio DHX. (See this blog to ensure proper spelling.)

Non-canon: Stuff that has not happened on the show and has not been confirmed by DHX.

Headcanon: A slang term. It means a different or more complicated version of canon thought up by one brony or shared by multiple bronies: popular theories, fan fiction, that kind of thing.

EXAMPLES

Canon: In the episode 'Too Many Pinkie Pies', Twilight Sparkle used her magic to dismiss all of the duplicate Pinkie Pies and send them back to the Mirror Pool where they came from. (This is canon, because this is exactly what we saw in the episode.)

Non-canon: After dismissing the fake Pinkies, Twilight Sparkle went home and ate a triple cheeseburger. (This is not canon, because it didn't happen on the show and no one believes it.)

Headcanon: The duplicate Pinkies were actually living, breathing clones of Pinkie Pie, and when Twilight zapped them with her horn, she was committing mass murder. (This is headcanon, because the facts are being elaborated on or interpreted in a way the writers did not intend.)

• Brohoof 2

As of now, the show itself has failed to acknowledge Equestria Girls as canon. Season 4 had a few inconsistencies which put its canonicity into question, and perhaps the biggest one comes from the episode Equestria Games. In that episode, we learn that Spike is heralded as a hero in the Crystal Empire, but when he returned there in the first Equestria Girls, he wasn't. Furthermore, Twilight specifically states that he saved the empire the "last time" he was there, therefore also ignoring his return in the first film. 

Personally, I'd much rather cling to the idea that the films are non-canon. It'd just be so much easier accepting that alternate dimensions and secondary worlds don't exist, that the Element of Magic is not the only important EoH and that the bearers of the other five do not actually need to be present to trigger the "friendship laser", and that Twilight does not actually have an entirely different set of the exact same friends as well as a "love interest" who has all the personality of a piece of cardboard. 

Not to mention all the other bullshit contrivances that these two films have forced upon the lore of FiM. 

• Brohoof 3

Personally I don't mind it. I enjoyed the shows and had a hope that they would be canon, because I liked the idea of it. As for the lesson, Twilight learns how to get the people to love her. How can you be a good ruler that the people love if you don't know how to make them love you. She had to start from the bottom and work her way up to being able to talk to people she's never met, and a high school(while not terribly original) is something that kids can understand easier. There's more to Equestria than Ponyville, so she needs to learn how to reach people and affect them, and make them love her.

@@TailsIsNotAlone,

I may add that 'non-canon' can also mean something that was once officially considered canon but is no longer considered such.

Then there are alternate canons, different lines of official continuity, when there are more than one official canon lines. DC and Marvel have those for example. Or how about when there were 2 different sonic cartoons at the same time in the 90s that shared no canon whatsoever.

It is canon, however, I doubt we will see a EQG in Equestria. It would be a great movie though. The plot for the first one kind of sucked, the second one needed more sunset shimmer, since Twilight was essentially put on the back burner during the movie. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Per the leaked plot of the Season 5 finale, Equestria Girls will be fully canon in the show.

Oh ya? Do you have a link to this? It sounds interesting, but very unlikely they will ever acknowledge Equestria Girls in the show itself.

(edited)

Oh ya? Do you have a link to this? It sounds interesting, but very unlikely they will ever acknowledge Equestria Girls in the show itself.

The informaton is in this thread: https://mlpforums.com/topic/126609-season-5-episode-list-leaked-synopsis-now-leaked dig up the synopsis for Episodes 25/26, but be aware it spoils a large part of the finale. It was leaked by the same person who leaked the whole Season 5 episode list.

Edited by WriteCodes46

(edited)

The informaton is in this thread: https://mlpforums.com/topic/132904-plots-for-s5s-entire-second-half-leaked dig up the synopsis for Episodes 25/26, but be aware it spoils a large part of the finale. It was leaked by the same person who leaked the whole Season 5 episode list.

Maybe I wont look at it then, i dont want it to be spoiled.

And whether i look at it or not wont change anything, so I guess ill find out when it airs.

Edit: Screw that, I looked at it, and im super exited! :wub:

Edited by AppleJack_Wack

Yes it is. McCarthy already stated as such, and she defined the terms of what constitutes as canon to begin with.

Apparently the Season 5 finale also cements this into the ground.