Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronyette

Actually I think I can read it. For the last problem, it is asking for a height of 1.8 meters OR LESS, so I think you want 114, not 6

Oh dear god I didn't read the question properly. Thank god I'm not in an exam XD

You've been a great help so far, thank you.

(edited)

Oh god, not me again...

Anyway the question this time is that a straight path is to be built from B to the nearest point on the road AC. I have to find the length of the straight path. Here's the diagram. I calculated angle ABC using the sine rule in a previous part of the question:

post-29246-0-24714000-1425901368_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sonata Dusk

(edited)

Oh oh, i love mathematic tasks. Back in school i was really good with thous, but now have to look after formula again but... still like to solve them ^^ 

First - i doubt that ABC = 54. Can i look at your calculations about this one? (just curious ><) :)

Try this one - S of ABC = 1/2 AC*h. However S of ABC also = 1/2*BC*AC sin BCA. It leads to: 1/2 135*h=1/2*BC*135*~0,44 => h=BC*~0,44, The problem is to fin BC , that can be easily found with angle BAC (in your case is 100) but, again i doubt it is right. If it is, then => BC/sin100=79/sin29=>BC= 79*~0.98/~0,48=>161.3*~0,44 h=>~70,97 (However i find quite strange that there is no absolute number. It's a bit unfamiliar to operate for me. May i ask you what your age, or, better, what is your grade? collage 1st,2nd,3rd? uni? school one of last classes?)

I tried to calculate BC somehow negating the fact that ABC is 54, but found this task either to hard to solve for a break or impossible with given information.

Edited by IceBeerG

Oh god, not me again...

Anyway the question this time is that a straight path is to be built from B to the nearest point on the road AC. I have to find the length of the straight path. Here's the diagram. I calculated angle ABC using the sine rule in a previous part of the question:

attachicon.gifIMG_20150309_194138_1425901329681.jpg

From what I can gather to figure out that question we would need to know either the angles formed when the new line hits the line AC, where it hits the line AC so as to figure out the length of the two sides it makes or the exact split of the angle it makes at B so as to actually know what angles are formed. If we had either of those 3 it could be done easily.

Also angle B is 48.51 I think

(edited)

Oh god, not me again...

attachicon.gifIMG_20150309_194138_1425901329681.jpg

I don't remember how to do most of this in any sort of timely manner, mainly because I really, really hated this kind of geometry. But... I can do it in Solidworks. :D

Here's what I did. I drew the shape with the given constraints:

YNKgzI2.png?1

And then I filled in the other dimensions.

mtCiuot.png?1

There you go. =D

Edited by Admiral Regulus

I don't remember how to do most of this in any sort of timely manner, mainly because I really, really hated this kind of geometry. But... I can do it in Solidworks. :D

img-3562655-2-YNKgzI2.png

img-3562655-3-mtCiuot.png

There you go. =D

That is quite interesting, but may i ask you how you did all these calculations? :)

I can see how it works for an triangle below but not with ABC :/

And yeah, with this angle (which seems totally fine with me, even thou i have no idea how admiral regulus found it) h is going to be 79*~0.38/~0,44 =>68.22 (BC) and h will be ~30,01

(edited)

That is quite interesting, but may i ask you how you did all these calculations? :)

I can see how it works for an triangle below but not with ABC :/

And yeah, with this angle (which seems totally fine with me, even thou i have no idea how admiral regulus found it) h is going to be 79*~0.38/~0,44 =>68.22 (BC) and h will be ~30,01

I actually didn't calculate anything. I just drew the figure as a sketch in Solidworks.

The software knows the dimensions of the given geometry with the input I gave in the first picture. I modeled the shape, and then asked the software to tell me the unknowns. This is like the digital equivalent of physically drawing the figure and then using a ruler + protractor to measure the unknown angles and lengths.

Edited by Admiral Regulus

I actually didn't calculate anything. I just drew the figure as a sketch in Solidworks.

The software knows the dimensions of the given geometry with the input I gave in the first picture. I modeled the shape, and then asked the software to tell me the unknowns. This is like the digital equivalent of physically drawing the figure and then using a ruler + protractor to measure the unknown angles and lengths.

Oh, but that is too boring =)

If someone will actually find these numbers, please share the method ;)

Is this thread still a thing?! Well, I'm currently in my last year of studying for an English degree so if you need help with spelling or grammar then I'm your man. I was awesome at maths in college but that was years ago now. Aside from that, I have tomes on philosophy and critics and the like. If you need a quote to prove your point, you come to me.

(edited)
calculated angle ABC using the sine rule in a previous part of the question:

Using the law of sines to find angle CBA

sin(26) / 79 = sin CBA / 135

CBA = arcsin ( 135*sin(26) / 79) = 48.5138

However, the range of the arcsin function is -pi/2 to pi/2  or -90 to 90 degrees. The angle you need is obtuse, so it sits on the other side of the first maximum of sine. So the real angle is

CBA = 180 - 48.5138 = 131.486

angle BAC = 22.514

Draw the perpendicular bisector from B to AC (like you did) and label it d. Use the relation sin(22.514) = d / 79

d = 79*sin(22.514) = 30.250

The tricky part is remembering the range of arcsin. 

Here's what I did.

Thanks. That's a nice tool to use.

Edited by BronyNumber42

However, the range of the arcsin function is -pi/2 to pi/2  or -90 to 90 degrees. The angle you need is obtuse, so it sits on the other side of the first maximum of sine. So the real angle is

angle BAC = 22.514

Draw the perpendicular bisector from B to AC (like you did) and label it d. Use the relation sin(22.514) = d / 79

Rounded to 3 decimal places, the answer isn't 30.250, it's 30.411. ^^

Since AC isn't exactly 135.

Although this probably doesn't matter anyways since the question most likely asks for the nearest whole number. ^^;;

Oh oh, i love mathematic tasks. Back in school i was really good with thous, but now have to look after formula again but... still like to solve them ^^ 

First - i doubt that ABC = 54. Can i look at your calculations about this one? (just curious ><) :)

Try this one - S of ABC = 1/2 AC*h. However S of ABC also = 1/2*BC*AC sin BCA. It leads to: 1/2 135*h=1/2*BC*135*~0,44 => h=BC*~0,44, The problem is to fin BC , that can be easily found with angle BAC (in your case is 100) but, again i doubt it is right. If it is, then => BC/sin100=79/sin29=>BC= 79*~0.98/~0,48=>161.3*~0,44 h=>~70,97 (However i find quite strange that there is no absolute number. It's a bit unfamiliar to operate for me. May i ask you what your age, or, better, what is your grade? collage 1st,2nd,3rd? uni? school one of last classes?)

I tried to calculate BC somehow negating the fact that ABC is 54, but found this task either to hard to solve for a break or impossible with given information.

From what I can gather to figure out that question we would need to know either the angles formed when the new line hits the line AC, where it hits the line AC so as to figure out the length of the two sides it makes or the exact split of the angle it makes at B so as to actually know what angles are formed. If we had either of those 3 it could be done easily.

Also angle B is 48.51 I think

img-3562655-2-YNKgzI2.png

img-3562655-3-mtCiuot.png

There you go. =D

angle BAC = 22.514

Thanks for all the answers! I don't have the paper with me at this very moment, but I'll look at all of them closely when I get home. You've all been such a help, I'll thank you all when I graduate... or something like that... or I'll send you e-cards on your birthdays. (Close enough!)

angle BAC = 22.514

Oh right, that rule, yeah, it works =) Thank you =)

Let's use this as a reference. All angles are in green, all lengths are in red.

SGJyK1h.png?1

All angles in a quadrilateral add up to 360 degrees, so...

EQ1:

α + ρ + λ + θ + 26 + β + 77 = 360

α + ρ + λ + θ + β  = 257

All angles in a triangle add up to 180 degrees.

EQ2:

ρ + λ + 90 = 180

ρ + λ = 90

EQ3:

θ + 90 + 26 = 180

θ = 64

EQ4:

α + β + 77 = 180

α + β = 103

Using the law of cosines:

EQ5:

(z + x)2 = 1202 + 952 - 2*(120)(95)cos(77)

(z + x) = 135.26...

Using the law of sines:

EQ6:

sin(26) / 79 = sin(λ + θ) / (z + x)

Since we know (z + x) and θ, we can solve for λ.

sin(26) / 79 = sin(λ + 64) / 135.26...

λ = 67.536...

Now, this becomes much easier. There are now four unknowns and four equations, so all of the above angles are solvable.

For the actual question, this is just simple trigonometry to find the length w.

w = 79*cos(λ)

w = 79*cos(67.36...)

w = 30.41...

Finally. That's over with. :P

• Brohoof 2

Let's use this as a reference. All angles are in green, all lengths are in red.

img-3563043-1-SGJyK1h.png

All angles in a quadrilateral add up to 360 degrees, so...

EQ1:

α + ρ + λ + θ + 26 + β + 77 = 360

α + ρ + λ + θ + β  = 257

All angles in a triangle add up to 180 degrees.

EQ2:

ρ + λ + 90 = 180

ρ + λ = 90

EQ3:

θ + 90 + 26 = 180

θ = 64

EQ4:

α + β + 77 = 180

α + β = 103

Using the law of cosines:

EQ5:

(z + x)2 = 1202 + 952 - 2*(120)(95)cos(77)

(z + x) = 135.26...

Using the law of sines:

EQ6:

sin(26) / 79 = sin(λ + θ) / (z + x)

Since we know (z + x) and θ, we can solve for λ.

sin(26) / 79 = sin(λ + 64) / 135.26...

λ = 67.536...

Now, this becomes much easier. There are now four unknowns and four equations, so all of the above angles are solvable.

For the actual question, this is just simple trigonometry to find the length w.

w = 79*cos(λ)

w = 79*cos(67.36...)

w = 30.41...

Finally. That's over with. :P

Finally? That was so much fun to do ;)

Here is one from Calculus, Larson and Edwards 10 ed. Consider a polynomial f(x) with real coefficients having the property f(g(x)) = g(f(x)) for every polynomial g(x) with real coefficients. Determine and prove the nature of f(x)

Not really.

I absolutely detest doing tedious things that could otherwise be done by a computer.

But thank you xD I kind of understood that and I have calculus and trig next year. I might do well next year o: even though the teacher is horrible Dx

But thank you xD I kind of understood that and I have calculus and trig next year. I might do well next year o: even though the teacher is horrible Dx

Trig and calculus 1 are easy. For trig, you just have to know the unit circle and trig identities. For calculus 1, the most difficult thing you'll do is integration by substitution.

Calculus 2 is hard, though. Calculus 3 is easier, but more tedious. Differential Equations is mind-blowing.

• Brohoof 1

I doubt if anyone here will need help with Vector or Tensor Calculus, but hey, you never know. I guess i could help with Physics, Chemistry, Calculus, Algebra, or any other math related subject. (if you haven't already guessed, I LOVE math)

• Brohoof 2