• Argentinosaurus
    • Plateosaurus
    • Protoceratops
    • Pachycephalosaurus
    • Corythosaurus
    • Maiasaura
    • Modern Birds
    • Other (please specify)

Now let's face the truth: EVERYONE LOVES DINOSAURS. They are some of the most iconic animals to have ever lived. And everyone whether they be 5 or 85 have their specific favorites. Now I didn't know what species to put so I just copied & pasted from the TVTropes page for Stock Dinosaurs.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StockDinosaurs

Oh and if you're wondering about me, my favorite is the king of the jungle himself, Tyrannosaurus rex.

tyrannosaurus_rex_by_t_pekc-d76grf4.jpg

Also Achillobator because it's the exact size of the Jurassic Park raptors

achillobator__agony_and_ecstasy__collab_

Edit: I almost forgot, incase you're wondering pterosaurs & marine reptiles aren't dinosaurs. This picture should help.

dinosaurs_and_non_dinosaurs_by_stygimolo

Red: Not a Dinosaur

Yellow: Archosaur but not Dinosaur

Green: A Dinosaur

Edited by tigris115
  • Brohoof 6

Hmmmmm????????????? (looks up and down the list)......................ummm what's the scientific term for Raptor, cause that's the one I want to vote for. :okiedokielokie: (confused but sure about what to vote for) 

-Star 

Hmmmmm????????????? (looks up and down the list)......................ummm what's the scientific term for Raptor, cause that's the one I want to vote for. :okiedokielokie: (confused but sure about what to vote for) 

-Star 

I believe the term you are looking for is "Velociraptor".

On topic, I'm not that much of a dinosaur guy but I do enjoy me some Allosaurus. :3

Allosaurus0003.jpg

May or may not have something to do with Calvin and Hobbes.

• Brohoof 1

I like all kinds of Pterosaurs, they look awesome.

LuisReyiowpterosaur.jpg

Who doesn't like dinosaurs? They are so awesome. :P

And these birdies are just awesome lol.

Also this rawrz:

image0112.jpg

But sadly, it's not a dinosaur. :(

Edited by GhostPony750

T-Rex. It is one of the most iconic dinosaurs ever. People know of the T-Rex. Chances are if you see a dinosaur movie, you are going to see a T-Rex. It's just that awesome and memorable.

Also this rawrz:

img-1856082-2-image0112.jpg

But sadly, it's not a dinosaur. :(

Can you remind me what species this is? I know I've seen it before, but I can't recall the name. 

I'm asking because I really love marine animals, the marine biomes are the coolest on the planet.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. It's a Kronosaurus

Edited by Fluttermena

Well, i honestly don't recognize most of these i'll be honest, but i guess i'm gonna say triceratops.

Why? I don't really know, i just find something appealing about it. I like the head shape and the horns and what not. It just looks kinda cool.

I think my runner up is the bird like dino Pateradactyle or something? I don't know dinos have the crazyiest names i swear..

• Brohoof 2

Argh, how do I choose! There's so many! From Dilophosaurus to Brachiosaurus, Achillobator and Allosaurus, Tyrannosaurus has been a long time favorite since childhood and shall always remain my top favorite. However, another has been creeping deeper into my favorites circle since its discovery last year; Yutyrannus. The allosaurus sized ancestor to the Tyrannosaurus, Yutyrannus is important because of one major feature: it is the first large Tyrannosauriod (the group of all Tyrannosaurs, from Guanlong and T. rex) discovered with FEATHERS!!!!

yutyrannus_on_dongbeititan_by_paleopasto

Dinosaurs! Always loved them as a kid.

Anyways, my favorite is the stegosaurus; I always thought the plates that ran through its back looked really cool, not to mention the four spikes at the end of its tail seems quite menacing to any foe who would get too close.

Stegosaurus_BW.jpg

Edited by Wingin'Wolf
  • Brohoof 1

Woooo! Ankylosaur represent!
Euoplocephalus.jpg

Euoplocephalus(a type of ankylosaur) is best dinosaur, but I like em all.
However I am also a pretty big fan of Dilophosaurus(even though in reality they probably didn't actually have frills and spit venom), Pachycephalosaurus, and Stegosaurus as well. T Rex and Raptors also, of course. But they're kinda the rock stars of the dinosaur world, and they get all the press.

Brief shout out to Compsognathus for being so cute.

And definite props to Iguanodon, the Fonzie of the dino world.

iguanodonpic.jpg

"Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" - Iguanodon

• Brohoof 3

Well, it's either the triceratops or the pteranodon for me.

img-1857205-1-trike.jpg

img-1857205-2-triceratops.jpg

Triceratops has always been one of my favorites since I was younger. I like how it's a herbivore, but can hold its own. I think it looks very cool as well.

I also really like the Pteranodon. There isn't much to say. It's a flying dinosaur pterosaur that looks awesome. What else is there to say?

EDIT: Apparently, a pteranodon isn't actually a dinosaur. Favorite pterosaur then?

img-1857205-3-pteranodon.jpg

Protoceratops as well as Velociraptor are among my favorites as well.

Edited by Blue Moon

I also really like the Pteranodon. There isn't much to say. It's a flying dinosaur that looks awesome. What else is there to say?

img-1857205-3-pteranodon.jpg

Pteranodon actually isn't a dinosaur. Although both Pteranodon and dinosaurs are reptiles, Pteranodon is a "pterosaur" which are a cousin to the dinosaurs that died out at the end of the Cretaceous. Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 1

For me? Without a doubt the velociraptor!

This fast vicious killing dinosaur is not only agile, but extremely intelligent on it's own spawning one of the biggest dinosaur brains on it's time!

It also surprises me how they are part bird from what I've seen.

1038-velociraptor_230_detail.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Dinosaur Lover here!!! Pretty obvious because of my username.Don't worry,i'm not obnoxious like Randomosaur from Derpibooru.Anyways,i've loved dinosaurs and extinct animals since my childhood. My parents introduced me to them with Jurassic Park.My most favorite are Tyrannosaurus rex and theropods in general.

Edited by Dino-Mario

T-Rex's teeth are what does it for me. His bite is everything to him. The teeth are not flat like steak knives, they are rounded like Railroad spikes: deigned to crunch through flesh and bone. 500 pounds can be taken in a single bite. There isn't much that can survive a wound like that.

---ya just gotta love the big guy.

Did you really just try to make a poll of that question?  And why are birds on there?  Spoiler: birds aren't dinosaurs!  That's kind of impossible with dinosaurs classified as "reptiles" and birds as...well...BIRDS,

As for me:

Well, here's some of my favourites, in no particular order:

Spinosaurus:

spinosaurus_800.jpg

This mo-fo could grow up to 18 meters long. What did it eat?

Fish.

Yes, that's right.

Fucking fish.

How.

Utahraptor:

utahraptor2.jpg

Utahraptor is like Velociraptor. Except bigger. Like, a lot bigger.

Therizinosaurus:

Therizinosaurus_scale.png

This is one hell of a weird dinosaur. It was a herbivore that had claws like goddamn scythe blades. Those claws are longer than any other animal's claws we know.

Edited by ThatFinnMetalhead

Oh good, a palaeontology thread. I voted for the archaeopteryx; the archaeopteryx is extremely fascinating. It's the middle ground between dinosaur and modern bird; the 50:50 integration of reptile and bird. Not only are birds and reptiles my two favourite animal kingdoms, but the bearing this knowledge has had on evolutionary science is phenomenal.

And no, they are not birds! They are transitional dinosaurs - that's a 50:50 integration of dinosaur traits and bird traits.

Also, they look badass.

Archaeopteryx-black-wings-fossil-dinosau

• Brohoof 1

Did you really just try to make a poll of that question? And why are birds on there? Spoiler: birds aren't dinosaurs! That's kind of impossible with dinosaurs classified as "reptiles" and birds as...well...BIRDS

post-18351-0-18937200-1379906879.jpg

Birds are dinosaurs. They are theropods, which are dinosaurs. Dinosaurs isn't some box you can walk in and out of, it's a clade- it's is a term that describes a certain group of animals and all their descendants. All descendants are incapable of leaving their clade. Because of this, birds are descended from Mesozoic-era dinosaurs and therefore are dinosaurs themselves. Think of it this way: If your grandfather is a human, and you are descended from your grandfather, would that not make you a human? In fact, you want proof that birds are dinosaurs? Confuciusornis and Sapeornis. Those are two Early-Cretaceous dinosaurs that fall under the class "Aves", better known as "birds". Here are a few visuals to help explain this:

img-1826234-1-diapsid_cladogram.jpg

img-1826234-2-brdj.png

img-1826234-3-theropoda.png

The first two images are cladograms, which are a visual list of what a clade is, this one showing theropods and all groups located within Theropods. The third image gives a list of all the thropod groups and a short explanation as to what they are. As you can see, birds are included here. If birds = theropods and theropods = dinosaurs, then birds = dinosaurs.

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 1

This mo-fo could grow up to 18 meters long. What did it eat?

Fish.

Yes, that's right.

Fucking fish.

How.

Sharks.

Yes, that's right.

Fucking sharks.

Also, pterasaurs, other dinosaurs, and probably crocodiles too.  It was more badass than you think.

Birds are dinosaurs. They are theropods, which are dinosaurs. Dinosaurs isn't some box you can walk in and out of, it's a clade- it's is a term that describes a certain group of animals and all their descendants.

I stand corrected.  Seems the classification was modified since I last read it.  The textbook I read that from was quite old.

The old form was called the Linnean classification, most biologists nowadays use Cladistics. I have no idea why Linnean is still taught in schools, but it took me forever (and still kinda is) to get over Linnean classification, so don't feel bad about it. ;)