• Crepes
    • Pancakes
    • "No, it should be 'pancakes' and 'american pancakes'!"
  2. 2. Pancakes or american pancakes?

• Pancakes
    • American pancakes
    • "No, it sould be 'crepes' and 'pancakes'!"

This just dawned to me while I was watching How I Met your mother:

What's the difference between crepes and pancakes?

So I decided to find out...

Crepes are the thin ones you make, and pancakes are thick. So, I realized, I've been doing crepes my whole life saying "I'm making pancakes".

But I do think that sometimes the difference is made by "pancakes" and "american pancakes", in which case the crepes are the normal thing.

So the question is:
Do you make crepes or pancakes?
Do you prefer "crepes or pancakes" or "pancakes or american pancakes"? Or maybe you think the whole thing is stupid and call them generally pancakes?

Just to make sure, here are pics of the following:

Crepes: http://whatscookingamerica.net/CharlotteBradley/Spelt-Crepes.JPG
Pancakes: http://www.bubblews.com/assets/images/news/536363552_1365597188.jpg

Edited by Tenshinohana
  • Brohoof 1

So like, I know that Saana here already knows this, but like I have found out the hard way that all of my pancakes that I've made have actually be crepes this whole time and I've been failing life at making pancakes for all these years.

I don't know why I've never noticed this, either. I should have recognized that my pancakes suck compared to the ones that you find at restaurants, anyway.

I much rather prefer pancakes to crepes...pancakes taste a whole lot better to me. I prefer American pancakes over regular pancakes also. They taste amazing with syrup and they're the only breakfast food other than hashbrowns that I can stomach...

I don't eat breakfast though, so...yeah, those two get my votes. 

I have made both but in my country we use different name for the thicker ones. To be honest this is the first time I've ever seen the word crepes. I won't stop calling them pancakes though I usually call the thicker ones American pancakes. I'll just call them pancakes, still interesting to know this. I have made more crepes though, but I'll still continue calling them pancakes.

I choose pancakes over your puny crepes. Not just any pancake either, I go with Murican pancakes. Thicker and more delicious. First time I ever hear of crepes though. I just always assumed there was no other name but pancake.

Over here Crepes are actually savoury pancake things, and are about the same thickness as pancakes but massive. And pancakes can be any kind of thickness, though if they are too small they're called pikelets. Its quite complicated once you think about.

I've eaten both crepes and pancakes (including blintzes, which are similar to crepes, but have some yeast and are embedded in Yiddish culture, but that's another topic), the former more lately than the latter. When it comes to having fruit topped or wrapped, I easily prefer having crepes over pancakes. For some reason, I have never liked layering fruit over pancakes, but when I wrap fruit with the crepe, I love the sweet, savory balance of the fruit and nutella. But when it comes to mixing fruit or chocolate chips in the batter, I'm definitely for eating pancakes, especially chocolate chip pancakes or buttermilk.

One thing regarding crepes and pancakes: It tastes objectively better making it with flour and eggs. Real ingredients. Don't ever make crepes and/or pancakes with the disgusting, artificially tasting pancake mix! And pancakes taste better when you use real maple syrup, not "maple syrup."

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I didn't know there was a difference between pancakes and American pancakes. Is it like football and American football, where they're two completely different things? Like if I ordered pancakes in England, would I get waffles?

I prefer crepes, but they're just called pancakes here in the UK. They're also what's made on Pancake Day instead of the thick American ones. 

Really, American pancakes are just too thick and too rich for me. I love crepes because they're lighter and you can eat a lot more, all whilst rolling them up with delicious fillings inside :3

I didn't know there was a difference between pancakes and American pancakes. Is it like football and American football, where they're two completely different things? Like if I ordered pancakes in England, would I get waffles?

If you ordered pancakes in England, you'd usually get crepes. You would have to specify that you want American style pancakes.
Oh, and if you ordered waffles, you'd get the potato filled ones that are eaten as a savoury food. But it depends on where you go to eat as well.

Edited by Apocalyptic_Unicorn

I prefer crepes, but they're just called pancakes here in the UK. They're also what's made on Pancake Day instead of the thick American ones. 

Really, American pancakes are just too thick and too rich for me. I love crepes because they're lighter and you can eat a lot more, all whilst rolling them up with delicious fillings inside :3

If you ordered pancakes in England, you'd usually get crepes. You would have to specify that you want American style pancakes.

Oh, and if you ordered waffles, you'd get the potato filled ones that are eaten as a savoury food. But it depends on where you go to eat as well.

Do American style pancakes exist in another name in Europe? What about waffles? The potato ones sound like latkas... potato pancakes ahaha.

I prefer American pancakes to crepes for the opposite reason; I'd rather get full on less food, and wrapping things in crepes seems like too much work for a breakfast food (they're breakfast in America). Also they're so thin, they come apart if you put stuff in them. I might as well eat plain crepes with fruit on the side xD.

Do American style pancakes exist in another name in Europe? What about waffles? The potato ones sound like latkas... potato pancakes ahaha.

I prefer American pancakes to crepes for the opposite reason; I'd rather get full on less food, and wrapping things in crepes seems like too much work for a breakfast food (they're breakfast in America). Also they're so thin, they come apart if you put stuff in them. I might as well eat plain crepes with fruit on the side xD.

I believe American pancakes are called Scotch pancakes up in Scotland. I don't think there's another name for it in England except for American pancakes. 

The waffles eaten in the US, the non-potato ones are usually called Belgian waffles or just American waffles. They're not as prevalent here in the UK as they are in the US and the rest of Europe. 

Pancakes in the UK (crepes), aren't exclusively a breakfast food, you can eat them anytime, so stuff's often put inside. Personally, I love filling it with Nutella or sugar, but a lot of people fill them with fruit or cream, or even just having fruit on the side. 

Seriously though, filling them with Nutella is amazing biggrin.png

I enjoy calling it Pancakes and enjoy American Pancakes over Crepes as they are bigger and can fill you up! Besides who doesn't Like Bacon, Eggs, Hash browns, Strawberry malt with an American pancake filled with cream and maple syrup? Just thinking about it makes me wanna make one!

I believe American pancakes are called Scotch pancakes up in Scotland. I don't think there's another name for it in England except for American pancakes. 

The waffles eaten in the US, the non-potato ones are usually called Belgian waffles or just American waffles. They're not as prevalent here in the UK as they are in the US and the rest of Europe. 

Pancakes in the UK (crepes), aren't exclusively a breakfast food, you can eat them anytime, so stuff's often put inside. Personally, I love filling it with Nutella or sugar, but a lot of people fill them with fruit or cream, or even just having fruit on the side. 

Seriously though, filling them with Nutella is amazing img-1870298-1-biggrin.png

Interesting. In America, Belgian waffles are just really big waffles. We have something called French toast here, which is a piece of toast with maple syrup and butter, cooked in a frying pan. Do you have that in Europe? I've never had Nutella, by the way. I don't I'd like it.

Interesting. In America, Belgian waffles are just really big waffles. We have something called French toast here, which is a piece of toast with maple syrup and butter, cooked in a frying pan. Do you have that in Europe? I've never had Nutella, by the way. I don't I'd like it.

French toast here is a piece of bread soaked in eggs so they're absorbed, and then fried in a pan, usually served sweet with fruit, sugar or something like that. Do you guys soak the bread in eggs?

I love Nutella. Its basically thick, hazelnut flavour chocolate spread :3

French toast here is a piece of bread soaked in eggs so they're absorbed, and then fried in a pan, usually served sweet with fruit, sugar or something like that. Do you guys soak the bread in eggs?

Yes we do! Or at least I do and spark some Cinnamon on there with some syrup and add a strawberry on top with cream to add that extra flavor with maybe a thin coat of Nutella.

• Brohoof 1

Oh! I forgot the egg part! Yes, we do that here. I think French toast is the same everywhere. Nutella seems like it would bee too sweet for me. Chocolate is fine, and so are hazelnuts, but both at once is probably too much for me. I hope you have muffins in Europe! Anywhere without muffins is uninhabitable.

• Brohoof 1

Oh! I forgot the egg part! Yes, we do that here. I think French toast is the same everywhere. Nutella seems like it would bee too sweet for me. Chocolate is fine, and so are hazelnuts, but both at once is probably too much for me. I hope you have muffins in Europe! Anywhere without muffins is uninhabitable.

Yep! Everyone agrees over French toast xD 

Fair enough, I guess its not everyone's thing, but at least give it a try? :3 Yep, we do have muffins! We have muffins in abundance xD