Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's with the EG dislike?

Oofer56

I, for one, like the movie, for the most part. Yes, this was but another one of Hasbro's shameless cash grabs, there were a ton of plotholes, yes, the story was rushed, and no, I didn't think FlashLight was necessary. But, after  all that, you still come away with cute movie that you don't feel awkward watching with your 4 year old niece! Or if you don't have  a niece, then watch in the cojmfvort and privacy of your own home!

I was disappointed by Equestria Girls. Not because I thought it was going to be quality, but because I did not anticipate all that cheesiness. I needed a grater it was so cheesy.

• 4 weeks later...

I was disappointed by Equestria Girls. Not because I thought it was going to be quality, but because I did not anticipate all that cheesiness. I needed a grater it was so cheesy.

Oddly, that's exactly why I liked it. It felt like those cheesy, tastes-like-pure-cane sugar, friendship-and-love-beats-all Disney movies I grew up with in the late 90s and early 2000s and was actually kind of nostalgic to watch. 

Edited by Shoboni

I refuse to watch it, for two big reasons:

1: It's obviously an attempt to pander new toys, and cash in on a very cheap concept.

2: I hate when something is altered that drasticaly. Turning the ponies into humans, ruins the concept in my eyes. It's no different then if they took a show about humans, and suddenly turned them into a different species for a movie or whatnot. There really was no reason to do this, since the show was just fine with them like they are...as ponies.

For me, it was mainly the idea of taking MLP and turning it into what is essentially a high school drama.

There was seriously alot more they could've done with the concept, and the idea of Twilight having to beat a high school bully in what is essentially a popularity contest? what what they went for?

Had the story been given much more creativity, perhaps to center more around the contrast between the human and pony world, I think it could've been better, and you'd think Meghan McCarthy could've taken advantage of the longer running time to write a better, more complex story.

though I probably wouldn't have minded that so much if Sunset Shimmer was more than just a two-dimensional, alpha bitch bully with a serious superiority complex, which I personally makes her an insult to the franchise because we're talking about a show loaded with memorable, three-dimensional characters that continues to be one of the biggest strengths of the show to this day.

Had Shimmer been given much more depth and complexity to her, or at very least been given more of her backstory to explain why she was acting the way she did, why she is so insanely determined to be on top, and/or why she seems to adamant that she thinks she so rightfully deserves to be above everybody (or everypony, consider where she's from), I might've been more forgiving toward the movie.

But did we get any decent amount of depth or backstory on her, no! just the two-dimensional bully that got easily forgiven at the end (if I was Twilight, I would've brought Shimmer back to Equestria to face the consequences of her actions proper.)

A question with a complex answer but according to the poll on EQD most liked it, heck even much of the reactions on this very forum was far more positive than the ridiculous preemptive negative reaction against it. Some or many are going to dislike it and that's fine. However I think a large amount came in with a negative bias and latched on to it. So many wanted to hate it from the very start. When going into something with an extremely negative outlook you begin picking out anything you can to back up that preconception. Im my personal experience this isn't conscious you just do it. It isn't until after the fact that you may notice. The opposite also occurs though perhaps ill talk more on it in a topic on this matter specifically.  Unfortunately reacting to something so vociferously is going to leave that impression.

My personal view on Equestria girls is pretty much the same as when I first saw it. I think its a fun movie. I think it has great humor. The characters despite not being ponies were actually still pretty cute, in other words their character did shine through. Songs weren't bad, Help Twilight Win the Crown just might be the catchiest song Mr Ingram has made. Are there problems with the film? Yes of coarse there are. The villain is under utilized and her plan is very questionable. Flash Sentry is a pointless bland character, he has very, very little if any character and could be removed from the movie with very little if any consequence. The little romance crush thing is really hard to believe given the lack of character for Flash and feels really pointless to me. But overall the movie is fun.

Personal I loved EG. I really don't care if they turn the mane 6 into human. Like look at the EG model of fluttershy OMG she is so cute I loved the designs well maybe not luna's and Clestia's model but overall we all have to agree that the model look nice. But it doesn't saved the fact that the movie was rush and a giant mess. :(

I actually liked equestria girls. I'm not one to expect too much, quite frankly I don't care if they make a mlp fim movie or not. The show will have at least 5 seasons, likely to have more seeing as how popular it is.

Many hate it for the reasons everyone listed. I think actual skin colors would have been a lot to think about. I mean how would they decide which race to make each one? What, so we could have people arguing over Twilight being Black or Rainbow being Mexican? It's a lot easier to just stick to the coat color.

Anyways, rushed plot, could've been extended considering it was a MOVIE, but whatever. The romance was so stupid between Twilight and Flash...still, it wasn't enough to make me hate the movie itself. The songs were catchy and dat remix of the theme was awesome.

Everyone has their own taste, if some don't like it that's fine. Their negative opinions of Equestria Girls isn't changing the fact a sequel is coming out this year.

Yeah I'll throw my 2 bits in this....

1. Character design:  I didn't mind the skin colors mimicking the different pony colors.  I thought that was kind clever.  I didn't like how they were stick body's and Huge Heads/Boots.  

2. Tom Oliver summed up many good points on the movie story failings in his video(s). (Provided you ignore the rather insulting way is was presented) 

Why didn't Twilight tell Celestia the Truth. 

Why did Celestia (the Principal mind you) not have a ton of questions as to why this new student, she probably got no paperwork or notices on, was in her school. 

How did Sunset know about Twilight and the Elements if this was her first time back to Equestria? (I actually have a working theory on this one)

Why did she think a group of mind controlled teens would be able to Trot in to Equestria (in the Crystal Palace with 3 THREE Alicorn Princesses and the bearers of the other 5 elements waiting on the other side + Guards) and be able to take over?  Oh, with Twilight most likely in pursuit. 

What was the point of Flash Sentry?  He felt forced in the the story and then kicked out with no impact on anything.

The only thing I really liked about this movie was the Fan service and everything before she crossed over.

That was enough for me tho to say the movie was ok.

Oh and Why didn't she do the Dance with Cadence?  I can understand why in "Three's a Crowd" but in EQG I was really kinda hoping for that.

I'm not expecting much for EQG 2.  They will have to do another introduction plot to get "human" Twilight in to the group.  Unless they are gonna send Pony Twilight back there.  That I highly Doubt.

I would like an actual Pony Movie.  Maybe one to tie together Season 4 and 5.  With established charachters and not having to go thru all the introduction again. 

Edited by ShadowRose2k

I didn't hate it by any means. I thought the animation and voice acting was fine, but I didn't care for the whole high school cliche. It just didn't make sense to me how this alternate dimension was... a high school. I realize a world full of ponies isn't exactly realistic, but at least the plot of the show flows and makes sense. Sunset Shimmer randomly stealing the crown and jumping through a mirror to go to high school? The whole switching crowns thing didn't make one ounce of sense to me either. I don't know, the whole plot was just kinda weak for me. I had an open mind but I could live a happy life never seeing EG again. ;)  

In a weird way, it reminded me of The Last Unicorn, when she turns into a girl and is subsequently tainted for the rest of her immortal life because her spirit was sullied by human emotion. Pretty much sums it up. :P

I was and have grown to be more and more forgiving of the work with time.

That said I'm going to be far less patient with the second one.  Alot bronys went to the proverbial wall for hasbro, and the writing staff,

and it looks like their trying to do a worse job that last time.

.....................Okay hasbro looked at deviant art,

I think it was tara or Megan who said this word for word and SAID  "oh bronies want human ponies."

They blamed us.
and that's a fair mistake.

But fans have been vocal enough to improve, at least a little from last time.

A little.

like hows about 20 percent cooler?  ^^ that's to greedy is it.

My reason is because the characters looked weird. They are all colored (as in red, blue, green ((no racism intended)) not natural skin colors like black and white). They are so skinny that they look anorexic (seriously their arms were as thin as pencils). The character personalities blew; like the didn't really do anything with VP Luna etc. The story was nothing but a High school cliché with a rushed plot and crappy romance between Twilight and Sentry. They're so lanky and Big Mac looks like Fry from Futurama, also granny smith scared the shit out of me with her fat turtle design. And it was so predictable and also WHY THE FUCK A HIGH SCHOOL OF ALL PLACES.

Most of my reasons are the same as everyone else. But then again, little girls are supposed to be watching it (I bet they were even trying to gouge their own eyes out at this disgrace).

But I did like the idea of human versions of Ponies, as long as they are not jumping between universes and turning anthro. I HATE ANTHRO. 

My reason is because the characters looked weird. They are all colored (as in red, blue, green ((no racism intended)) not natural skin colors like black and white). They are so skinny that they look anorexic (seriously their arms were as thin as pencils). The character personalities blew; like the didn't really do anything with VP Luna etc. The story was nothing but a High school cliché with a rushed plot and crappy romance between Twilight and Sentry. They're so lanky and Big Mac looks like Fry from Futurama, also granny smith scared the shit out of me with her fat turtle design. And it was so predictable and also WHY THE FUCK A HIGH SCHOOL OF ALL PLACES.

Most of my reasons are the same as everyone else. But then again, little girls are supposed to be watching it (I bet they were even trying to gouge their own eyes out at this disgrace).

But I did like the idea of human versions of Ponies, as long as they are not jumping between universes and turning anthro. I HATE ANTHRO. 

But overall it was a good movie and I did enjoy at times.

Edited by Cliff_Racer_562

You know what, I actually loved the movie myself. Yeah I'll agree that the FlashLight could have been handled better, I wish they had actually developed him but oh well. I actually like the character designs, I thought the animation was fantastic, the songs were good, I didn't think the story was bad, I didn't mind the High School setting and most important of all it was a damn fun movie to watch!

Then again I am a person who also had fun watching these three movies so say what you will.

doctor-who-the-movie-special-edition-201Supermariobros.jpgbatmanrobincov.jpg

Yeah , I'm one of those people who don't mind a bad story in a movie as long as it's fun.

I loved EG: I thought it was a great movie, I do think some people are butt hurt about there not being enough ponies, and I do get the impression that some yes not all but some people are closed minded about it somehow and can’t like it: which I can relate to tbh.

But that all said, I think it comes down simply to some people like it, some people don’t, personal taste etc.

I can agree with you Asherdangerdash,

I like the movie just the way it is, It could have had more ponies, but that is fine. It was a solid movie with a lot of funny moments!

"The Great and Powerful Trixie, Needs some peanut butter crackers"

~Camsterman101

• Brohoof 1

It was a entertaining film until the end, which just left a sour taste in my mouth.

I don't dislike the film one bit but overall I can't say it's anything more than "okay".

Edited by Flakk
  • Brohoof 1

1) The story line could of been a bit more interesting

2) It's in a high school :/

3)Romance (I hate Romance in movies)

and

4) Sunset Shimmer was a bad villain, At the end all she did was turn everyone into a zombie... and then do nothing

Edited by Codelyoko373
  • Brohoof 1

Nice idea, poor execution. Sunset Shimmer, as a villain, had tons of potential to be great. The whole idea had potential to be great. (Check out the annual comic.)
The romance was horrible. Twilight Sparkle is a nicely developed, intelligent character, who turned into a blushing stereotypical teenage girl. And do I even need to say it? Flash Sentry. No.
The ending, in essence, was pretty bad, however, I've seen some fan theories that justify it.
It was entertaining, to an extent, but still not something I can actually enjoy.

Though I may will get hate for this... I was okay with the Flash and Twilight romance. My issue was actually how they added it and then said it wouldn't move into the show.

A romance is pointless unless continued and allowed to develop.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 2

Though I may will get hate for this... I was okay with the Flash and Twilight romance. My issue was actually how they added it and then said it wouldn't move into the show.

A romance is pointless unless continued and allowed to develop.

I have to agree on that though I wouldn't have Twilight jump immediately into a relationship right after the movie. It would have been nice if they had included Pony Flash into the series as a whole and let him develop as a character and then let something happen.

YOU CAN POINT YOUR SNIPER RIFLES AT ME ALL YOU LIKE! IT WON'T CHANGE MY MIND!

Edited by TheCoffeeMan
  • Brohoof 1

I have to agree on that though I wouldn't have Twilight jump immediately into a relationship right after the movie. It would have been nice if they had included Pony Flash into the series as a whole and let him develop as a character and then let something happen.

YOU CAN POINT YOUR SNIPER RIFLES AT ME ALL YOU LIKE! IT WON'T CHANGE MY MIND!

Yeah, it would have.

But they didn't, and it wasn't.

Instead, we got this s***:

meghan_mccarthy_lied_by_rafflessian-d73p

Edited by Anti-Villain

Yeah, it would have.

But they didn't, and it wasn't.

Instead, we got this s***

Actually that was an addition by an animator, Meghan McCarthy said she had no knowledge of it being put into the episode. Edited by EquestrianScholar