Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New stuff at the London Toy Fair

idlemichael

Hey all! Just got back from the London Toy Fair at Olympia where I managed to get a tour of the Hasbro stand where - of course - they had a bunch of new toys that are due for release this year.

In all honesty, there's not a huge amount of new Pony merchandise in the plush end of the range. I saw some small (like 6") Twilight alicorn ones that I'd not seen previously, and there's a range of 28" plushies coming from Ty this year - just the main six though.

The dude showing us around didn't know that much about the toys, sadly. There's a new range called Rainbow Power that I *think* will be based around the mysterious elements that we've seen so far in season four - Rarity's thread spool and Dashie's badge. They had a couple of weird toys on display, a hair brushing RD and scooter, that kind of stuff.

One thing they're really pushing is their POP range - basically, build and customise your own ponies. You get these pony bodies that come on sprues that you POP out (get it?) and push together. They come with loads of accessories and have holes all over the body to push said bits and pieces into. You could have, for example, a Fluttershy body with Twilight wings and Pinkie hair, that kind of thing. There'll also be a play set for you to show them off in. Oh, and they're teeny - about 2" high.

The HUGE push though? The new Equestria Girls movie, Rainbow Rocks. The girls are back and performing in a battle of the bands - each come with their own instruments, and Pinkie has a drum kit! There's a big stage for them to perform on, and loads of other characters will be released for the movie too. Best one? DJ Pon-3, who has a car! With the windshield that looks like sunglasses! That can be removed so you can wear them!

And that was about it. Esdevium had the CCG on display at their stand, and a couple of the other companies exhibiting had some random merch - old school Ponies (like, G1 style) on lunch boxes and key rings - but really, the meat of the new gear was on Hasbro's stand.

Of course, there are no photos - sorry! Visitors we're banned from taking pictures but I have an EPK, so if there's any images in that I'll post them up. Happy to answer any questions too :)

The HUGE push though? The new Equestria Girls movie, Rainbow Rocks. The girls are back and performing in a battle of the bands

Got to ask: was it stated somewhere that Rainbow Rocks is an actual upcoming Movie, or is it just your own assumption?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read your post on the EQG2 thread; can't wait!  B)

Edited by thedog87

Yup, as I said on the other thread, two different folks at Hasbro said that it was the upcoming movie. That was all though, aside from a brief mention of a character called "Shifting Sunset" - when I asked if the meant Sunset Shimmer, they both went "oh yeah! That one!"

(Seriously Hasbro, get your people to at least learn what they're selling!)

The build your own pony sounds kinda weird - I don't know about that, will have to wait and see what they look like. I know that the Monster High dolls and the Bratzillaz had they're create a doll sets so I'm wondering if it's a play off that; though 2" is kinda tiny. MLP did have the ponies you were supposed to draw on with markers...but I'm kinda not feeling the Pop idea, especially if they're tiny.

The POP ponies are indeed very small, but they actually look pretty good - like the wee vinyl ones you get in the bags. Each one comes with bits of furniture and accessories that go into the separately available play set house thing which'll apparently retail for around £15-20.

The POP ponies are indeed very small, but they actually look pretty good - like the wee vinyl ones you get in the bags. Each one comes with bits of furniture and accessories that go into the separately available play set house thing which'll apparently retail for around £15-20.

hum, it sounds a little like the 80's version of this, the MLP petites. While you didn't 'build' them, they're little playsets were little houses and such and they were tiny.

Rainbow Power has already been mentioned. I'm putting my money on rainbows being our Bad Wolf / Vote Saxon this season.

I can't wait for the new movie. I think Shifting Sunset will be Sunset's musical idol alter ego who can transform into two basic forms: her normal form and her demon form. Each form has two outfits, for a total of four transformations. I was thinking of something like Happiness Charge Pretty Cure or Aikatsu.