Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Had Surgery?

Venomous

On 11/14/2014 at 8:02 PM, Anishna said:

I had to get an ingrown toenail taken out as well.  Another minor surgery was getting all four of my wisdom teeth removed at the same time, they were growing at an odd angle and had to be removed because of it.  Thankfully, I've had good health so far and haven't needed any major surgery as of yet.

My wisdom teeth never came in.

On 11/14/2014 at 8:13 PM, VoxPolice said:

Had a femer rotational operation 2 years ago, loads of fun! *sarcasm*  :lol:

What is a "femer rotational operation"?

On 11/13/2014 at 3:13 AM, Destiny said:

No, and I'm scared that one day I'll need to have it. Just the thought of surgery scares me. ;~;

That makes two of us.

Needles scare me enough as it is!

If it counts, I got my wisdom teeth removed about a year ago and other than some discomfort/trouble eating for a bit afterwards it was actually a lot more manageable than I thought it would be. Nothing other than that, though.

Ah' had this http://www.dentistry.utoronto.ca/dpes/periodontic/patients/periodontal-surgery-impacted-canine-exposure-patient

Tooth exposed, bracket put on...

The second option is called a closed technique because, after the dentist exposes the tooth, he or she will attach a bracket to it and then replace your gums back to their original position. Only the orthodontic wire will be visible through your gums while the tooth is guided to its proper position. Once your orthodontic treatment is completed, minor recontouring of your gums may be necessary.

That's the one I have...I have a tiny, real-gold chain in my mouth right now X3

I'm known for being stoic. I didn't need anesthesia, just numbing...and while it was going on I was totally not focused on the job, at one point I was even tapping my then-13-year-old foot to the BeeGees  :lol: No, I'm not lying - I was really tapping my foot to the BeeGees while I was having a tooth exposed!  ^_^ 

Afterwards it wasn't bad at all, just had to have gauze in my mouth until it stopped bleeding later in the day, and then I had to deal with the side of my face being swollen for a few days. X3

I have never had surgery in my life.

Unfortunately, I might have to get my Wisdom teeth removed....well...one of them. One already busted through my gums. Did not bleed thankfully.

For awhile, it grew in fine, no pain, and was the same size as my other teeth and my parents did not even worry and said sometimes Wisdom teeth can grow in and not cause problems. Welllllll....a few weeks ago, it started to grow more and now its getting crooked and causing some minor discomfort. My parents said if it gets worse, we have to go to get it removed -.-.... yippee (sarcasm).

• Brohoof 1

When I was about... ooohh... nine years old perhaps(?) I had four moles removed. One on my upper back, two on my lower back, one on my head. Done under general anaesthetic.

A few weeks later I was at gymnastics, the stitches opened up on one of the wounds of my lower back, and I bled profusely. (Not entirely sure why I'd been allowed to go to gymnastics with stitches in the first place.) I had to be taken to my GP urgently to have the wound re-stitched without any anaesthetic. It was the most intense physical pain I'd felt in my life up until then, and come to think of it, is probably still so.

The other three wounds healed nicely, but I've still got that scar on my lower back 25 years later.

I've had multiple surgeries on my brain to remove a malignant brain tumor. I also had one on my abdomen, and another one near my chest as well.

Edited by Flow

Yes, on my hamstrings on the back of my thighs. This surgery was to help my leg muscles. It happened in Spring time back when I was in 6th grade.

Now, my parents told me that there was a very small chance I might not survive the operation. I was scared. On a side note, the hotel room we were staying in had a N64 so you could play video games at a few bucks an hour. And guess what game I played in what could have been my final hours?

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Yeah, you can imagine the "Dawn of the x Day-xx Hours Remain" card saying to me, "Dawn of Your Surgery- A Few Hours Remain"

Fitting!

Anyway, I got in my surgery gown, laid down on the operation table, and prepared myself. As the doctors began, I started to panic by pure instinct to survive. Luckily, the anesthetic did its job and knocked me out like a light. To me, everything went black for a few moments. There were no dreams, no sense of pain as the surgeon cut the back of my thighs open to operate.

Next thing I knew when I opened my eyes, it was a few hours later, while it felt like a few moments of darkness to me. The operation was a success! I was taken to the recovery room to spend the night. What Applejack said in "Read it and Weep" was right. The hospital food was great. They made sure I had one of every food group. I hadn't eaten anything in the few days prior to surgery as they need my stomach to be empty for the surgery to go smoothly.

Now, when they closed me up, my legs had to be put in casts that kept my knees from bending while the stitching allowed the incisions to heal. I was at first given time off from school, but then for the rest of the school year, I had to be wheeled around my school campus. Advantage is that they allowed me to be at the front of the lunch line. 

During my recovery, when I had to shower, my parents had to lay me on the kitchen counter to wash my hair in the kitchen sink. I also had to be taken in and out of bed.

Finally, the time came for the casts to come off and the stitches to be removed. It was a long series of small pain, but it was a success. You wouldn't believe all the dead skin that's been falling off inside the casts I had to wash off in my first real shower since my surgery.

4 years ago I've had my right eye surgery (Exactly my eye muscles). Emm you know, correction of strabismus. My sight is ok, but not good enough. I always must have my glasses.

And now... i've had change of the bandage. In a few days i'll have remove of stitches from my fingers (third and fourth) of right palm.

Besides tonsils and wisdom teeth:

I had bonked the back of my head pretty bad when I was a kid once and had to get stitches.

For a while as I was growing up, I had gotten pretty bad (what I thought at first) cramps in my left calf.  It got to a point where I had to go see doctors for it.  Then FINALLY one doctor correctly diagnosed that it was a vein that ended at a point where blood pooled and inflated the vein.  Causing these major cramp feeling pains. 

So the only surgery I ever had different from other people was an endoscopic surgery for my left calf.  Now my leg feels great when I stand. 

• Brohoof 1

I have broken my leg and fingers countless times, but never had surgery for it, but I've had a splinter removed from my nail. And I also had an ingrown nail operated.

Edited by Parakejus

I have broken my leg and countless fingers, but never had surgery for it, but I've had a splinter removed from my nail. And I also had an ingrown nail operated.

Countless fingers? It can't be much more than ten, can it?

• Brohoof 1

Last month I had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted at once.

They gave me nitrus oxide and gave me a shot in my arm, which I barely felt to put me to sleep for the operation and the next thing I knew I woke up and it was done and they hook you up to a machine that monitors your vitals to make sure nothing goes wrong during the operation.

...I don't remember too much else about the way home except occasionally spitting up a small amount of blood, but they gave me some pretty good pain killers and even without them those areas around my mouth only felt a little tender and all I wanted to do was sleep.

So all in all, it wasn't so bad and before this I was terrified of surgery.