Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

why was Celestia just the principal?

LazerFlash

Why was celestia JUST the principal of the school? I mean, in Equestria she's a super big deal because she is the ruler but being just a principal isnt that important.Couldnt they have lived in a place like England or she be the president?

• Brohoof 1

Considering they only remained in high school, it would make sense for her to have a high rank within the alternate universe.

If possible, she might have been the president if they explored all of the alternate world besides high school.

• Brohoof 1

I heard a theory that EQG is a bizarre pocket dimension in which only the school exists, and all the students just go there forever in a never-ending cycle. So the Principle would be the highest ranking position in a dimension like that.

But then again, Human!Pinkie did mention other cities.

• Brohoof 1

Since in their alternate world, Celestia is a princess so it would make sense for her to be the principal in the movie since both positions apply to a high power in authority. Besides, they had to decide on something.

• 2 weeks later...

Since in their alternate world, Celestia is a princess so it would make sense for her to be the principal in the movie since both positions apply to a high power in authority. Besides, they had to decide on something.

I believe she could have been Mayor at least, or something to that degree. 

Yeah, but I don't think having her as the Mayor would make sense in a high school.

True. Well it could have included a little more then simply the school. Well I guess we have to take it as it is. You do bring up valid points.

True. Well it could have included a little more then simply the school. Well I guess we have to take it as it is. You do bring up valid points.

I guess I did. Yeah, let's leave it as it is.

The one thing I never understood was how Principal Celestia never interfered or dealt with Sunset Shimmer's acts of tyranny over the school's social hierarchy. You'd think that a principal with the wisdom, cunning, and foresight that matches an immortal alicorn princess, would have at least noticed or figured out that Sunset has been bullying her students and splitting them into cliques and using her power to ensure that she stays in control of everybody, maybe even suspect that Sunset has something to hide. I don't know, she should've at least done something. Then again, if Principal Celestia is anything like Princess Celestia, than she might have a habit of staying out of trouble's way and letting things other ponies/people solve the problem. I'm not ranting or hating on Celestia, it's just that it seemed a bit unlike her to let someone like Sunset antagonize her students.

What I'm looking for is a possible and logical theory or explanation for this out-of-character moment. I apologize if I'm getting too off-topic.

Edited by fantasyTheorist
  • Brohoof 1

I believe that they did that to fit squarely within the paradigm of high school, and I don't view that as problematic, as I assume the writers needed the story to take place within a high school to convey the story in its intended nature to its primary intended audience. Additionally, Princess Celestia is pretty much the highest ranking leader in Equestria, and similarly the highest ranking leader in a high school is generally the principal.

They never left the school for the duration of the film. The school was supposed to be a microcosm of Equestria. There wasn't time to explore the entire world around the school, and even if there were, it would be unlikely that Twilight would interact at all with the mayor or the president, and therefore Celestia would likely never have been seen. 

• Brohoof 1

the most likely reason is that if they raise celestias rank in the EG world too much she might not have a part in the movie it self, try to imagine if celestia is like a Royal or even just a President would she have time to meet and greet any of the mane 6? 

but the writer in me wants to say that celestia became a principal by choice, i think she knew that there were talents within that school that needed nurturing 

• Brohoof 1

Because the alternate setting was a high school. We never really saw the rest of the neighbourhood. Principal is as high as you can get (pun intended) in a school situation.

In other words, it was just the principle of the thing. A booyah!

Edited by SolarFox

I don't see Celestia being anyone else besides the principal.

It's a school setting for young children.

It would only make sense to give her that role.