Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In the movie: Wings.. No horns?

Noemi Roronoa

I picture the pre-EQgirls developer/designer meeting to go something like this.

Ponyfan-dev: "Alright ladies and gentlecolts, we gotta make this movie the best we can! The fans are gonna freak seeing there girls in human form so we gotta make it as smooth as possible for them to shift from hooves to hands...and we have all this fanart to go on, so we should be good!"

Economic-dev: "Yes yes, and may I add we have a rather large sum of cash to play with, so we can really get into the designs for these characters and I assume not cut any corners!"

Ponyfan-dev: "Ya! So ok, here are our first work-ups of the girls in "Super hum-pony" forms, ment to be revealed later in the film..."

Economic-dev: "And to help sell toys!"

PF-dev: "...of coruse, anyways! Lets take Twilights for example, you can see the sublte addition of pony ears, and instead of a Tail we extended her hair to be more like her natural mane, and of course her new Princess wings also her horn is..."

SoccerMomWeary-dev: "woah woah woah...horn? You know these are basicly barbie dolls right? Little girls can NOT be given Barbies with Horns! The sexual implication would bring about a derp-gate worse then the over showing of pony flanks on the already edited episodes!!! ARE YOU INSANE, LOSE THE HORN!"

I saw a suggestion that the unicorns should have had a diamond marking on thier foreheads,, like in the Last Unicorn.. I totally agree.. ^^

(edited)

Maybe Anthro Half Human half Pony Twilight and Rarity have still have their magic powers ,except their horn isn't acting as their wand much like psychic abilities, they only don't have the horns to avoid lawsuits and to generally make the toys and character designs look better, even though not having horns on the dolls wouldn't have made them look any different they'd still chubby faced, cutie mark cheeked, creepy dolls they always were. Either that or they did away with them to make styling the hair easier. Remember this is Hasbro we're talking about here.

Edited by Sindle

the way i see it, them having horns would be too odd, whereas winged humans/humanoids are nothing new and can construed as more "normal" (angels, anyone?)

• 10 months later...

It is weird, when I first watched EG1 I thought Rare and Twi might get wands or the magic might come out of there hands.However in EG1 magic comes out of Twi's forehead, sugesting she has a horn (but there isn't one) and it just looks a bit weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiss...this subject is touchy.

Some are of the opinion, for marketing the toys, the horns would causes injury on small children. (cough BS they already play with unicorn toys..."OH COME ON!" Thank you Sweete Belle.)

Others are of the mindset that a Horn growing out of a Girl (even on her head) is sexual in nature ("OH COME ON!!" Sweete, your on a roll!)

And still SOME sat they "dont want to aggervate or promote Furries" ("OH COME ON!" Damn Gurl your killing it!)

I am of the opinion that I dont really mind either way. A pup isnt gonna hurt themselves on a doll with a Horn, they have keytares to choke on first! Is it sexual, pu-lease, its 2015, these FORUMS are more sexual then a girl doll with a horn on her head. And furries? (love em) I recently watched a "lets watch Rainbow Rocks" via Pony Codero and his fellow Bronies and PS's, at one point in the film he says "Wait..so are we all Furries now?" lol. Its fiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Because that's obviously not what Sunset Shimmer turned into, and even referred to herself as, right?

Because that's obviously not what Sunset Shimmer turned into, and even referred to herself as, right? :P

• 3 weeks later...

There might've been demonic/satanic connotations to a doll with horns. Then again there's the international market, specifically Japan, where some of the oni & yokai (demons) are depicted as humanoids with a single, conical horn growing on top of their heads.  Colored fairy princess dolls with demon horns wouldn't go over very well there.

PONY transcend-ency: When ponies transform into humans they lose their horn, wings, animal features, etc.

When you see the main 6 sprout wings, ears, horns, this is just their element form, other charter won't notice any of it. 

the-last-unicorn-the-last-unicorn-205774

• Brohoof 1

I can see why no horns from a toy point of view, and it'd look very weird. But why didn't they at least get their magic in some way...

Brony logic:

The human depictions of the pegesi have wings, why do they also no have horns for the human versions of unicorn?!!1111!!!?

Normal person logic:

Why the *&%$ do those people have wings? And those odd ears...?

• 3 years later...
On 2/21/2014 at 8:29 AM, Lucky Lass said:

A horn would look a little odd, and I can see the danger on a toy point of view.
But I wish they had given them a mark or a jewel, like in The Last Unicorn cx

Same here.  I can understand not wanting to add them, but SOMEthing would have been nice.  Even just a cutie mark on the forehead would have been okay, though a jewel would be cool.  The glowing spot Twilight gets when escaping the caves in Legend of Everfree would have worked too.  Just add a dot of glow in the dark paint to those toys and you're good to go.

I liked the holographic horns in the third movie a lot, but I guess they considered it too late to implement for all of them, or wanted to keep it special for that moment or something?  Though they tweak designs all the time (I mean, each new design means a new toy to sell, right?) so I wish they'd just add some kind of horn alternative.

Humans with horns look creepy. I guess they never decided to change things, but I do know that Midnight Sparkle had a magic horn(as in it's as if it's a hologram), I think they should have gotten something like that for the unicorns

• 1 month later...

I'm sure it was a developer decision for health and safety since the old dolls are already established and an unavoidable lawsuit risk in today's culture but new ones you can remove those pointy, poky bits.

(edited)

why_don_t_they_give_us_our_horns__by_jon

Feel free to correct me that those things on their heads don't look ridiculous, but I think it's a little bit overboard.

Edited by R.D.Dash

3 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

Feel free to correct me that those things on their heads don't look ridiculous, but I think it's a little bit overboard.

Not saying they don't but I can't see ridiculousness being a factor in design considering some of the characters, however I can see lawsuit vs cute huggy toy factoring heavily in there somewhere.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Almost forgot about the magical girl Sunny.

equestria_girls__the_rubicon_title_pictu

They kind of do have horns but it's more like a magic power up thing, and it's not very common, since it's was a one time thing.

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 1

It's also usually on the evil villain of the piece both midnight sparkle and demon shimmer had them.

In a semi-related note they don't have tails either even though they refer to them just longer hair.