Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2014 MLP Forums MARCH MADNESS TOURNAMENT (NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP)

Doctor XFizzle

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP  

273 users have voted

1. 1. Applejack vs. Fluttershy vs. Rarity vs. Pinkie Pie

• ALL CHARACTERS
    • Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Rarity
    • Pinkie Pie

(edited)

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it is time for the 2014 MLP FORUMS MARCH MADNESS TOURNAMENT!

blogentry-124-0-91402200-1392507157_thumb.png

YESTERDAY'S RESULTS - FINAL FOUR
See below

Alright, I have to put on my angry/disappointed dad voice now *ahem*
*PULLS OVER CAR*
ALRIGHT PEOPLE, WE ARE GOING TO LOVE EACH OTHER AND SUPPORT EACH OTHER RIGHT NOW!
ANY POSTS MAKING FUN OF FELLOW USERS OR ANY POSTS DISRESPECTING ANY OF THE CHARACTERS BEING VOTED ON WILL BE FROWNED UPON AND I WILL FORCE FEED YOU BRUSSEL SPROUTS AND COOKED LIVER. WE ARE FRIENDS DAMMIT SO LET'S ACT LIKE IT.

*deep breath* Alright, for the National Championship, ALL FOUR ponies are up for vote along with an ALL CHARACTERS vote. If you vote for ALL CHARACTERS, each character will receive 2 votes worth. If you vote singularly for just one character, they will only receive HALF a vote worth. Final tally will be (All Characters vote total) x 2 + (Single character total) x .5 = character's final total

Let's try this again  :D as if these new votes will matter mwahaha

THIS YEAR'S BRACKET

post-124-0-05621300-1396710229_thumb.png

MAY THE BEST PONY WIN!

*cough*Rarity*cough*

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 47

(edited)

Whenever I see the words "MLP Forums" and "Tournament" in the same sentence, I always get my hopes up that we will get to do hand to hand combat with our fellow users. 

Sadly, this has never been the case, to date.

Edited by Captain Jack
  • Brohoof 27

Looking good, Doctor! I'm really excited for this! Last year's tournament was incredibly fun and I can't wait to see what happens here. :D

Sigh... Looks like Applejack's going to end up fighting Rainbow Dash IF she can get past Celestia first. I really want AJ to go far but with Rainbow in the way I don't think she'll be winning the Midwest division (unless I can help it ;P). On the other hand, this match was a missed opportunity last year when AJ lost to Twilight by one single vote and It'll be exciting to see the Ashleigh Ball ponies duke it out for Iron Pony supremacy once more, especially now that there seems to be an upswing in AJ fans on the forum. May the better mare win! :)

And yikes! Fluttershy and Luna are almost SURE to fight each other again for the third year in a row. Will moonbutt beat her yet again or will the Flutter flock finally wake up? Only time will tell. ;)

• Brohoof 10

Time to bring out the cutest, kindest, and prettiest pony in the show to glory! :D

fluttershy_likes_glass_by_glitched_nimbu

Now... where do I get to predict the brackets?! :D

March Madness analysis:

One of the most intriguing matches I see from the get go is a World Cup qualifying rematch between Zecora and Gummy. The exotic zebra took Pinkie's favourite pet down, but can she do it again this time? Another very interesting match will be between our pony dentist and Pinkie Pie's male counterpart in Cheese Sandwich. I think the latter will squeak one past the dentist, but anything can happen. I also see another rematch from World Cup Qualifying between the Crystal Tyrant and the resident school bully. King Sombra barely squeaked past Diamond Tiara the lats time, but will he do it again? There's a lot of World Cup preview matches too, especially if Lyra and Daring Do get drawn in the same group for the World Cup.

HOLY CRAPPOLA KEY MATCH TIME:

Who would have thought? Scootaloo already gets a decent match from the start against Cheerilee. Ponyville's schoolteacher fought hard in qualifying but lost it out to the likes of Daring Do. It'll be the chance for Cheerilee to redeemer herself!

Also, have some NBA TV theme music since we're playing "basketball" after all ;)

• Brohoof 6

There should be a "Hey, don't start being a megaprick when you root against a pony," rule considering that pretty much ruined the MLPF World Cup for me :(

I can't speak for the World Cup, but last year's MM was at least good-spirited about it, especially that hotly contested Applejack vs. Derpy match. I don't remember any dickishness from anyone. So hopefully that stays the case this year too.

• Brohoof 8

DISCUSSION:

To prep ourselves for MM, let's have some talkin'.

Any character you think is under-seeded?

Any character you think is over-seeded?

Any character you think got snubbed?

• Brohoof 1

DISCUSSION:

I think Lightning Dust should have found some way to be in the tournament. Also, I think that Snails should be placed at a lower seed because of his unpopularity in Qualifying, but that's me. Silver Spoon should also be placed lower in my opinion and Coco Pummel should move up a seed.

• Brohoof 1

leonidas.jpg

LOVERS OF DERPY, I BECKON YOU, TO ME, TO ME!!!  Hear me my brothers, my sisters, one and all!  When 2014 has come and gone, I swear that it shall be remembered as the Year of the Derp (by a small slice of an Internet subculture comprised of fans of a show about talking ponies, but hey, that's still something)!  That starts here... OK not really, considering DHX has already blown our minds this year with Derpy-awesomeness, but it... continues... here... yeah.  Anyways, we have two big tournaments coming up for our favorite mailmare.  Derpy already had a fantastic start in the qualifying rounds of the MLP Forums World Cup, most notably when she blew Princess Celestia out of the water.  Let's build off of that momentum and continue Derpy's winning streak, carrying her forward to victory!  The first year of the MLP Forums March Mandess Tournament, Derpy made it all the way to the Final Four.  I wholeheartedly believe that we can surpass that record this year, taking Derpy to not only the Championship, but winning the whole kit-and-kaboodle altogether.  But to do so, we're gonna need the best of effort from each and every one of you!  We've got some tough match-ups almost guaranteed right away: Queen Chrysalis, Vinyl Scratch or Granny Smith, more than likely 2012 champion Pinkie Pie herself if Derpy gets to the Sweet Sixteen.  But together, the Derpy Horde is nigh unstoppable!!!

SO GATHER 'ROUND, MY BRETHREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, first off...

hartman01_medium.jpg

LET ME SEE YOUR WAR FACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :angry: 

260.gif

GOOD!!!!  As of this moment, we are on the warpath everypony, and we will stop at nothing, I repeat, WE WILL STOP AT NOTHING TILL OUR BELOVED GREY PONY HAS CLAIMED HER RIGHTFUL PLACE AT THE TOP, AS TRUE CHAMPION OF MARCH MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!  TO WAR MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS, TO WAR, WE MARCH NOW!!!  :angry: 

zk3ggi.gif

Together, we can stomp out whatever competition or rivals stand in our way, and all will know the true might of the Derp when this tournament concludes!  FOR DERPY, FOR DERPY, FOR DERPY, WE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :muffins: 

tumblr_ln43q2wXH51qlxqmdo1_500.gif

To the rest of the competition, I only say this: we're coming for you.  B) 

1889629.jpg

Whenever I see the words "MLP Forums" and "Tournament" in the same sentence, I always get my hopes up that we will get to do hand to hand combat with our fellow users. 

Being, well, me, I wholeheartedly approve this and am equally devastated that it is not so.  BATBRONY WANTS TO SLAP YA'LL SILLY, IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?!?!?!?!?!  :(

batman_slaps_robin_by_lovelyobnoxious-d4

Looking good, Doctor! I'm really excited for this! Last year's tournament was incredibly fun and I can't wait to see what happens here. :D

Sigh... Looks like Applejack's going to end up fighting Rainbow Dash IF she can get past Celestia first. I really want AJ to go far but with Rainbow in the way I don't think she'll be winning the Midwest division (unless I can help it ;P). On the other hand, this match was a missed opportunity last year when AJ lost to Twilight by one single vote and It'll be exciting to see the Ashleigh Ball ponies duke it out for Iron Pony supremacy once more, especially now that there seems to be an upswing in AJ fans on the forum. May the better mare win! :)

And yikes! Fluttershy and Luna are almost SURE to fight each other again for the third year in a row. Will moonbutt beat her yet again or will the Flutter flock finally wake up? Only time will tell. ;)

Oh I'm sure AJ will have no trouble at all getting past Princess Celestia (sorry Celly).  I'll also say this SC, if it comes down to AJ vs. RD, I'll probably end up voting for our favorite cowpony (sorry DF), mostly because RD won it all last year (so yeah, nothing against her personally, it's just I need some way to choose between the two of 'em, it's just so hard to pick when it comes to Mane 6 match ups!).

DISCUSSION:

I personally think that Angel Bunny is a bit under-seeded, as he could easily give Sweetie Belle a run for her money.  Vinyl seems a bit over-seeded just because she's most likely going to go up against Granny Smith in the Round of 32, and Granny Smith could quite realistically beat out Vinyl Scratch that early on.  As for snubbed characters, I really do think that maybe Lightning Dust should've been included in the tournament over one of many Season 4 characters who've been included.

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 14

Oh, man. So many downright amazing potential matchups for round 2 and 3.

-Luna vs Fluttershy, again.

-Rarity vs Spike. No way that was an accident. (Spike might not make it that far.)

-The good Doctor vs Discord.

-Cadence vs Zecora.

And there's several more.

Twilight drew a very favorable region, unless Rarity gained an influx of fans I'm not aware of since last year. Flutters, AJ, or even Derpy might be able to bring Twi down, but Rarity strikes me as the weakest of the two seeds.

Trixie as a 4 seed? That's questionable to me. She lost to a 5 seed CMC last year, I'd at least expect her to drop to the 5 line this year. I think she's out in the second round again.

My Final Four predictions: Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy. Yep, I got a hunch that Flutters breaks through this year. But not enough to win the title. She loses to Pinkie Pie in an all-Andrea Libman final.

Vinyl seems a bit over-seeded just because she's most likely going to go up against Granny Smith in the Round of 32, and Granny Smith could quite realistically beat out Vinyl Scratch that early on.

No way. It's gonna be Vinyl and Derpy in the sweet 16. Book it.

• Brohoof 2

We should arrange this for a convention somewhere. I would be amused enough to participate in some sparring.

• Brohoof 5

Your resident bracketologist (well, your OTHER resident bracketologist) has made his match-by-match forecast!

post-13366-0-67201500-1394749004_thumb.jpg

Why no, that isn't a Spike pillow the paper is resting on. I don't have a rooting interest in this tournament at all, and you certainly won't see me stumping for Fluttershy when her rounds of voting come up. Stop being silly.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's time for someone to make a match voice commentary on this, doscussing every contestant and their chances, and of course giving updates on advances...

And for fun, obviously... OH, and we could have guest speakers of random people on the forums. We have 3 analysations on this post already, many people would like to share those!

Why do I think this is a good idea?

Hello, hello!

Here is my bracket for the 2014 MLPF March Madness tourney! 

nh1mbc.jpg

Oh shoot... for the Berry Punch - Pipsqueak matchup, I predict that Pipsqueak will win.

Edited by Sterling Crimson
  • Brohoof 2

Moonbutt has destroyed Fluttershy two years running now.

Fluttershy ain't ready for that jelly.

But they haven't experienced my Fluttershy spamming powers yet... Not by a long shot... B)

• Brohoof 1

Wasn't Fluttershy leading last year's match until the final half hour, and thing was decided by like one vote? That was our equivalent of a triple overtime game, and was easily as compelling a match as Derpy-AJ. That'd be like saying Wisconsin "destroyed" Michigan in that one game where this happened.

Sorry if that resurrects any bad memories. Oh wait, no I totally am not.  :P

• Brohoof 1

Wasn't Fluttershy leading last year's match until the final half hour, and thing was decided by like one vote? That was our equivalent of a triple overtime game, and was easily as compelling a match as Derpy-AJ. That'd be like saying Wisconsin "destroyed" Michigan in that one game where this happened.

Sorry if that resurrects any bad memories. Oh wait, no I totally am not.  :P

I brohoof'd you just to repeal it for that video.

You can get it back....some day  :eww: