Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tea Lovers Club

Virgil

@@Nine, ::Bows in respect:: I see have found somepony that far surpasses me in knowledge of tea. But anyway... Yeah they use Sencha "or at least what they claim to be Sencha" in far to many blends, probably because they know it's strong taste will cover up whatever they threw in the blend. :okiedokielokie: 

And I think I've heard of Milk Oolong before, but never learned what it was...

Also Jasmine Pearl is quite lovely, when I feel so inclined. :)

Rooibos is my favorite for hot tea, Oolong is good too.

I live off iced tea though, just your typical black. No sugar, no lemon, no flavors, just good 'ol refreshing iced tea. In fact, I was about to go pour the last glass from the pitcher and make another batch. It's almost a daily thing.  :wacko:

In fact... here is our "tea and hot choc cabinet"

post-9221-0-38622900-1395092786_thumb.jpg

Can't see all of it, but yea, that whole bottom shelf is mostly tea. The second one is tea, coffee, choc mix... who knows what else.

Edited by The Mane-iac
  • Brohoof 1

Every night I have a cup of tea; I drink this kind of tea that's meant to be taken before bedtime, and its supposed to help you sleep. 

Anyways, it works like a charm and it tastes great to. Its herbal vanilla tea. Also, I like to add at least two spoonfuls of sugar or else it just tastes gross. 

Does anyone recommenced any good tea type and brand to drink in the morning? One that wont make you sleepy of course. 

Every night I have a cup of tea; I drink this kind of tea that's meant to be taken before bedtime, and its supposed to help you sleep. 

Anyways, it works like a charm and it tastes great to. Its herbal vanilla tea. Also, I like to add at least two spoonfuls of sugar or else it just tastes gross. 

Does anyone recommenced any good tea type and brand to drink in the morning? One that wont make you sleepy of course. 

I need some of that tea. If its in the morning i can tell you that green tea works wonders as its both relaxing and  and energy filled at the same time. Light tea with milk and sugar also works.

Well, a good green tea with jasmine ( such as Jasmine Pearl or something) would be good. The way caffeine is released into the body makes it a better morning tea ( same amount as black tea just released slower) and ,at least the smell of, Jasmine has been known to invigorate the senses. 

but the best tea I know is Cay, the traditional Turkish tea.
I remember having some of that a while back, I rather enjoyed the flavor. Sort of a dry grassy taste, but in a good way  :) .
  • Brohoof 1

I remember having some of that a while back, I rather enjoyed the flavor. Sort of a dry grassy taste, but in a good way :) .

The taste depends highly on how long it has been brewed and many people drink it with one or two lumps of sugar; the latter is what makes it actually taste really good for me.

Edited by ~StatesTheOblivious~

@@Nine, ::Bows in respect:: I see have found somepony that far surpasses me in knowledge of tea. But anyway... Yeah they use Sencha "or at least what they claim to be Sencha" in far to many blends, probably because they know it's strong taste will cover up whatever they threw in the blend. :okiedokielokie:

And I think I've heard of Milk Oolong before, but never learned what it was...

Also Jasmine Pearl is quite lovely, when I feel so inclined. :)

Sencha is just too grassy and astringent, so I don't really understand why it's used as a base in blends that add sweeter ingredients. People might suspect that I'm just brewing it too hot, but that's not it. I routinely will brew it at 70-75 C to avoid extracting too many polyphenols (and I do take the temperature while the water is heating with a digital probe thermometer so I knowwwwww), and I steep it for less time and use more leaves.

As far as I can tell though, lots of people seem to like the contrast? I don't. I just don't think it works. And I'm not afraid of strong teas either. One of the stranger kinds in my collection is lapsang souchong. It's like drinking a campfire .. in a good way. I'm sure lots of people pooch their green and white teas just because of temperature and steeping time mistakes, but if anyone was going to make an "ideal" cup of tea, I'd like to think it's me. My "sencha exception" though is plain old genmaicha - the stuff they serve at sushi places. The popped rice actually redeems the leaf, which is kind of hilarious since it was used as peasant filler originally. But then lapsang souchong was fobbed off on Danish (I think it was Danish) traders as a junk tea originally too so .. one man's trash tea is another man's treasure tea. I guess?

Milk oolong is a variety of oolong with a smooth, creamy taste to it, compared to tae kwan yin. There are natural and aromatic varieties with the same name though so check with your dealer.

And yeah the pearl teas I often save for special moods, since they're kinda pricey.

Rooibos is my favorite for hot tea

Rooibos is a tisane! [nerdrage] 

Edited by Nine
  • Brohoof 1

To-may-to, to-mah-to  :umad: hehe j/k

yeah pretty much

It's like how people call any bandage a band-aid or any tissue a kleen-ex

Technically tea is always made with tea leaves, but people call tisanes herbal teas because most people think of tea as "plants in hot water".

The other one I always notice is when people say "chai tea". Since chai means tea, it's redundant.

• Brohoof 1

Sencha is just too grassy and astringent, so I don't really understand why it's used as a base in blends that add sweeter ingredients. People might suspect that I'm just brewing it too hot, but that's not it. I routinely will brew it at 70-75 C to avoid extracting too many polyphenols (and I do take the temperature while the water is heating with a digital probe thermometer so I knowwwwww), and I steep it for less time and use more leaves. As far as I can tell though, lots of people seem to like the contrast? I don't. I just don't think it works. And I'm not afraid of strong teas either. One of the stranger kinds in my collection is lapsang souchong. It's like drinking a campfire .. in a good way. I'm sure lots of people pooch their green and white teas just because of temperature and steeping time mistakes, but if anyone was going to make an "ideal" cup of tea, I'd like to think it's me. My "sencha exception" though is plain old genmaicha - the stuff they serve at sushi places. The popped rice actually redeems the leaf, which is kind of hilarious since it was used as peasant filler originally. But then lapsang souchong was fobbed off on Danish (I think it was Danish) traders as a junk tea originally too so .. one man's trash tea is another man's treasure tea. I guess? Milk oolong is a variety of oolong with a smooth, creamy taste to it, compared to tae kwan yin. There are natural and aromatic varieties with the same name though so check with your dealer. And yeah the pearl teas I often save for special moods, since they're kinda pricey.
:blink:

And I thought I knew stuff and things about tea... Are you sure you didn't implant the idea in my head to start this thread?

My favorite is chamomile or vanilla tea with honey. I also really enjoy Moroccan mint, but that's harder to find.   

Chamomile and honey is a rather lovely combination. :)

:blink:

And I thought I knew stuff and things about tea... Are you sure you didn't implant the idea in my head to start this thread?

As a kid I was into chemistry and the romantic notions of alchemy, later I took an interest in pagan herbalism and I grew my own selection of fresh herbs and plants to make infusions and tinctures with, and then later still I fell in love with the Victorian aesthetic and steampunk so it was kind of inevitable that these three things would collide where tea is concerned.

I actually have a project on the backburner to make a steampunk tea kit out of an old case. The inside would have a false back hiding the wiring for a motor driving an old mechanical water meter register head (working as a timer) and some other decorative lights and stuff. Then I'd have small, old colored glass bottles with a selection of teas inside and a decanter for water, a burner (or a tipping teapot/samovar). I actually have scoured the flea markets for most of the stuff already, and just need to do the wood work for the insets, embellish the case, and design the internal workings. So, pretty much the entire construction really.

Nine is the teamaster, clearly. I'd even dare say they could have a teapot for a cutie mark :P

post-25289-0-83424100-1395128080_thumb.jpg

My OC is Pekoe. Rainbow Dash mane because idgaf. I know my OC is awful.

• Brohoof 1

I have two things to say.
1. Nine teach me your ways I need better tea experiences *kneels*. But really I have never cared much about cooking the tea, the temperature or how long it brews. I just simply drink and enjoy it.
2. Where do you get all these wonderful tea tastes. There is no vanilla, chamomille, honey or mint tea in norway from what i know o.o or wait i saw a green tea and peppermint from lipton actually, but thats it. Maybe i can import it from ebay or amazon? :) Help would be appreciated.

I drink either black adder (aniseed) tea, peppermint tea or chamomile tea. Sometimes the herbal ones too

I think anise is underappreciated. It's in Drambuie too, for those of you who are picky about alcohol as well. That's something I know less about though. Maybe one day I'll pick up wine snobbery as well, but it hasn't happened yet.

I have two things to say.

1. Nine teach me your ways I need better tea experiences *kneels*. But really I have never cared much about cooking the tea, the temperature or how long it brews. I just simply drink and enjoy it.

2. Where do you get all these wonderful tea tastes. There is no vanilla, chamomille, honey or mint tea in norway from what i know o.o or wait i saw a green tea and peppermint from lipton actually, but thats it. Maybe i can import it from ebay or amazon? :) Help would be appreciated.

I could tell you how I brew my tea for guests, which is kind of an involved affair. When I'm brewing for myself, the whole ritual is a little more scaled down. But .. basically I've drunk enough tea that I can tell the difference in it's preparation, and some of these are fairly pricey. Like 100 kroner for fifty grams for the best whites and pearl teas. The matcha I used for making koicha was about 7 kroner for one gram. If I'm going to spend that much on tea (for me a refill on my stock is like 1000 kroner if I'm low) then I'm going to prepare it correctly.

btw, I just calculated those amounts directly from the Canadian Dollar but I didn't adjust for purchasing power so they could be way off in your country. But it would take that many kroner to buy the tea here in Canada anyway.

To get loose leaf tea and the tools to prepare it correctly, you'd have to track down an actual tea shop. Personally I don't know dealers in Norway, but you're closer to India than I am, so there's got to be some around! There are really no grocery stores anywhere in the western world that stock loose leaf tea, that I know of. It's a specialty item.

I think anise is underappreciated. It's in Drambuie too, for those of you who are picky about alcohol as well. That's something I know less about though. Maybe one day I'll pick up wine snobbery as well, but it hasn't happened yet.

I could tell you how I brew my tea for guests, which is kind of an involved affair. When I'm brewing for myself, the whole ritual is a little more scaled down. But .. basically I've drunk enough tea that I can tell the difference in it's preparation, and some of these are fairly pricey. Like 100 kroner for fifty grams for the best whites and pearl teas. The matcha I used for making koicha was about 7 kroner for one gram. If I'm going to spend that much on tea (for me a refill on my stock is like 1000 kroner if I'm low) then I'm going to prepare it correctly.

btw, I just calculated those amounts directly from the Canadian Dollar but I didn't adjust for purchasing power so they could be way off in your country. But it would take that many kroner to buy the tea here in Canada anyway.

To get loose leaf tea and the tools to prepare it correctly, you'd have to track down an actual tea shop. Personally I don't know dealers in Norway, but you're closer to India than I am, so there's got to be some around! There are really no grocery stores anywhere in the western world that stock loose leaf tea, that I know of. It's a specialty item.

Actually you gave me an idea. I'm used to living in a smaller city, but right now im living in a bigger city so its definitely something here that i can use for brewing tea. I might just take the bus to the city after i get my fluttershy plush from the post office today. I might even get it cheap as its not really a big marked here, but everything in norway is expensive. So who knows what this will cost me.

But ill look for white and pearl tea and some green too I guess. I love you for giving me these ideas :D

• Brohoof 1

Actually you gave me an idea. I'm used to living in a smaller city, but right now im living in a bigger city so its definitely something here that i can use for brewing tea. I might just take the bus to the city after i get my fluttershy plush from the post office today. I might even get it cheap as its not really a big marked here, but everything in norway is expensive. So who knows what this will cost me.

But ill look for white and pearl tea and some green too I guess. I love you for giving me these ideas :D

I know what you mean about the cities. When I was living in Toronto, it was the only place I could find Asian food markets with the ingredients I needed to make some recipes I was interested in. Now that I'm living further north I miss it every day.

You better show off that plush later too!

• Brohoof 1

As a kid I was into chemistry and the romantic notions of alchemy, later I took an interest in pagan herbalism and I grew my own selection of fresh herbs and plants to make infusions and tinctures with, and then later still I fell in love with the Victorian aesthetic and steampunk so it was kind of inevitable that these three things would collide where tea is concerned.

My OC is Pekoe. Rainbow Dash mane because idgaf. I know my OC is awful.

I should have known! Pagans always seem to have grand mastery over tea and herbs (except for me, sadly). Even past Pagans, if that's no longer a thing you do. 

Also you're OC is adorable and I totally called it I so called it I can't even believe how perfectly I called it :D

I should have known! Pagans always seem to have grand mastery over tea and herbs (except for me, sadly). Even past Pagans, if that's no longer a thing you do. 

Also you're OC is adorable and I totally called it I so called it I can't even believe how perfectly I called it :D

You totally called it.

As far as paganism goes, I'm a little cagey about it. I have an unusual way of believing in things .. that makes talking about it so seldom a good idea. Suffice to say I have a good grasp of the use of herbs, be it for basic remedies, tea, food, and maaaaybe some other things.

• Brohoof 1

I need to know all the secret about brewing tea. D: I used to have a teacup pony but then I gave it away because it was not who I was. 

But for the purpose of this thread, I will share my favorites as well.

I am in love with a very specific local blend of green chai tea, as well as Chocolatey-Mint Black Tea. Also a fan of Earl Grey and Green Tea steep'd with peppermint leaves.

I prefer loose leaves over store-bought tea bags but I never turn down tea. Never ever.

My favorite sweeteners includes brown sugar, pure cane sugar and pure maple syrup.

Tea is my personal addiction and I never want to get rid of it. It's also why my Skype display name has been Mint Tea for a while. x3

• Brohoof 1