Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why wasn't Flash Sentry's previous relationship with Sunset Shimmer explored?

Chuckles4lyfe

Hi everybody, here's something that's been bugging me every time I go back to watch EQG (don't ask why I go back to watch it, it's become somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine  :wub:).

Remember in the cafe scene where Twilight bumps into Flash and then Rarity tells her to be careful since he was getting over a previous relationship with Sunset Shimmer or something along those lines? It occurred to me that that piece of information was never brought up again in the movie. It brings up so many unanswered questions like:

1. How did those 2 get together in the 1st place?
  2. How did they end up breaking up with each other?
  3. Why was it stated in the movie if they weren't going to do anything with it?

That plot point just comes out of left field in my opinion and isn't really needed at all. Nothing of value would be lost if we took that line out.

But it would have been interesting to see how the two of them hooked up and how they ended the relationship. It definitely would have made Flash a more interesting character instead of your generic cookie cutter "nice-guy" who has a crush on the main protagonist.

So yeah, let me know your thoughts on this interesting yet useless plot point that was brought up for only 3 seconds in the movie  :comeatus:. 

Maybe it would have lead to far away from the current plot? ^^"

I bet they'll come out with a comic arc about it or something to explain it all in the future.

Maybe it would have lead to far away from the current plot? ^^"

I bet they'll come out with a comic arc about it or something to explain it all in the future.

This. It would make sense if they put it into a comic to fill the hole.

I think the writers of the movie didn't want to cram that interesting subplot in the movie, even though they did cram a lot in the movie.

In the comics, they probably explore this relevant statement that wasn't explored in the movie but only mentioned once.

I have something that bugs me every time I watch EG. The fact that it exists.  :eww:

My guess is that the only reason they did this with Flash Sentry and Sunset Shimmer is so that the audience would think "Oooooh... Twilight is going into dangerous waters...Oooooooh..."

• Brohoof 1

I have something that bugs me every time I watch EG. The fact that it exists.  :eww:

My guess is that the only reason they did this with Flash Sentry and Sunset Shimmer is so that the audience would think "Oooooh... Twilight is going into dangerous waters...Oooooooh..."

Well Sunset didn't seem to mind, so Twilight wasn't really in any bigger danger than she already was in. Which makes that scene even more pointless.

• Brohoof 2

Probably so fans can ask questions like this and look too deeply in a subject that probably doesn't even matter too much. SS and FS probably broke up because Sunset's a bitch.

• Brohoof 1

They just wanted to mention it because drama. But there was no room to explore it in the movie because it probably was required to be 72 minutes long.

If they were allowed to do a full-length feature film then the relationship could have probably been explored a bit.

Flash makes his move on the new girl when she's going to win the crown and his last girlfriend was the previous winner in a row. Leaves the impression that he only chases the skirt of the most popular girl of the school.

It's odd that Twilight Sparkle winning over the students and only Flash wants to ask her to the dance. So that would mean the other guys adhere to some code to stay away from girls Flash has his eyes on.

Edited by Singe

Getting tired of these romance teenager guys stepping all over the other characters. There's Flash Sentry. There is Mako from Legend of Korra with that flaming train wreck. Lion-O from the recent Thundercats, more worse is when he's the king.

1. How did those 2 get together in the 1st place?
  2. How did they end up breaking up with each other?
  3. Why was it stated in the movie if they weren't going to do anything with it?

1. Sunset Shimmer won the Princess contest and Flash Sentry chased after her skirt. It's the only likely path, since Sunset Shimmer was mentioned as his only girlfriend in the movie who was Princess several times and he's really moving after Twilight's skirt when she has the Princess thing in the bag.

2. They likely broke up over differences. Flash Sentry is bland and boring. Sunset Shimmer craves excitement. He may have been freaked out by a girl who doesn't wear underwear (because she's from a society that doesn't need them) and her showing of affection may have been too intimate for people standards. 

3. There was going to be a scene where Sunset Shimmer after finding out about what Flash Sentry done to save Twilight, she was going to use the hammer on his car.

• Brohoof 1

Reason #1: Because money.

Reason #2: Because time.

To think of it, the only logical reasoning behind this pairing that I could come up with is their shared status of popularity, and a (possible headcanon) more brash personality that Flash Sentry may have presented in the past before maturing. However, as many ideas we can come up with for this movie, the more we realize that the movie's been made and there's nothing we can do to change it.

(edited)

Frankly I don't really care that they didn't really go into the subplot of why they broke up. I think it's pretty obvious why: as the school years went on, Sunset Shimmer became more power-hungry and mean, as shown in the photos of her receiving the crown every year.

However, I do wish they utilized Flash's previous relationship with Sunset at least somewhat in the movie. It was just mentioned by Rarity and then nothing really came of it.

I overall enjoyed Equestria Girls, but this was definitely one of its flaws.

Edited by RainShadow

Sunset Shimmer has a hammer. Flash Sentry helped her opponent Twilight Sparkle. He was Sunset's former boyfriend. Flash Sentry has a car. Sunset Shimmer has a *bleeping* hammer for crying out loud.