Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If You Were Able to Know When You Would Die, Would You Want to Know?

Would you?  

76 users have voted

1. 1. If you were able to know the date of your death, would you want to know?

• Yes
    • No

Would you? 

Personally, I'd be incredibly curious, but I think it'd make me too anxious. I'd probably have to say no.

No, because I would start to become paranoid and be more cautious than I am already where it bring me into a deep depression where I wouldn't want to do anything until my time was up.

I'd say yes, so I can best use what time I do have. And even if I found out if I were to live 100 years I still wouldn't know the time those around me had, so there would still be that sense of urgency in regards to how I treat others, plus I could make good long-term plans. If I found out I had a very short time left... well, I'd just use every second of that time doing things that matter.

• Brohoof 3

No. It'd make living unbearable. I'd be very paranoid and sad to know the date. I'd rather see each day as another day I can continue living rather than seeing it as a day in which I get closer to death.

• Brohoof 1

In 1939, the great science fiction author Robert Heinlein addressed this very question in his very first short story called "Lifeline". In it, Professor Pinero invents a machine that can accurately foretell your death to the year, day, hour, and very minute you will die. One passage sticks with me. A young newlywed couple comes to him for a reading. He checks the results, and tells them to come back the next day because he needs to make a few adjustments. They die together later that day in a terrible automobile accident. He knew they would die, didn't have the heart to tell them they only had a precious few hours left.

Outrage and violence comes from a surprising source in the conclusion of the story.  It was quite a good read.  

In his novel "Time Enough for Love" Lazarus Long mentions that in his youth, he went for a reading from Professor Pinero's machine. He recounts how the professor looked almost sick with fright, gave Lazarus his money back, and told him the machine was broken. In case you didn't know, Lazarus is over two thousand years old in the events of "Time Enough for Love".  

To answer the question though, I WOULD NOT want to know.

In some ways, we already know. Based on our current knowledge of the average human lifespan, we're already aware that most of us aren't going to live past the age of 100. So, deadly diseases and accidents aside, we might be able to estimate the time of our death already just by observing our general health in the days leading up to it.

If I was going to die by an accident though, I'd definitely like to know. It would give me a chance to prevent it from happening in the first place, unless the future was unalterably set in stone, in which case...yeah, at that point, I might get a little depressed.

In this case, I suppose ignorance is bliss for me. I want death to strike completely out of left field if I can't achieve immortality. If I'm to die peacefully, I can't have any knowledge of my passing. I'd have an omnipresent awareness of my demise in my daily life, something I usually don't  think of at all, and nor should I. Death is pretty much inevitable, I shouldn't and don't live in fear of it.

I'd also no doubt try to fight against the inevitable when my time finally arrived. It's futile, but I know I would.

Yeah I'd like to know. I'm too lazy to feel alive. Maybe knowing my death date would give me the motivation to get off my ass and live a little, achieve some things and make my time here worthwhile. Right now I lack the urgency to get up and do that stuff, lol. Sad but true.

No, this in fact reminds me of Garth Brooks' "The Dance", the entire point of the song is that it may actually be better to not know when something is going to end badly, because the journey there(which we would ultimately avoid if we knew the ending) and the all the joy we had along the way might never had happened, because "we might have missed the dance" if we knew heartbreak it would lead up to:

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared 'neath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known that you'd ever say goodbye

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance

Holding you I held everything
For a moment wasn't I a king
But if I'd only known how the king would fall
Hey who's to say you know I might have changed it all

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance

Yes my life is better left to chance

I could have missed the pain but I'd have had to miss the dance

I don't think I would.  It would make me very cynical about life.  Plus, knowing when you'll die makes life really predictable and you'd spend most of your time worrying about how much "life" you can jam in before you die.

Contrary to popular belief, I think knowing my destiny would be quite freeing.

Because then I'd know nothing else could kill me! Now, I wouldn't jump in front of a bus "knowing" it would stop, I'm still flesh and blood after all. Doing so would just mean a couple months in the hospital and probably a lifetime of life altering injuries.

But if I ever felt fear, then I could just take stalk of what's around me and say, 

"this isn't how I die." and the fear would just evaporate.

• Brohoof 1

I would love to know the date of my death so that i can prove them wrong . 

You'd be dead though so there's nothing to prove wrong... there would just be a whole lot of anxiety.

I chose no, since there is no "depends" button.

Anyways, It depends. If I were to find out that I were to die in like my 90s due to old age, I guess that'd show I had a good life. If it says I were to die at 26 due to an accident or a disease or a murder, I would try to avoid that. 

But I would not because death should just be whenever its your time. We don't know how we will die, but it will be our time to go. I probably were to just say "No". I might worry to much... He he.. I guess i'd rather just not know :X

Nope.

I honestly just want to go about my life without knowing such a thing that could possibly drive me crazy in the future. It'd be too stressful for me to handle if I knew my time would be up soon and there would still be so much to do before then.

• Brohoof 1

In all honesty I would want to know. Thats really all i have to say. I'll be motivated to live before I die, and the day I die will be the day I live my life to the fullest. I'm not afraid of death. However if the question was "how you would die" I'd rather not...